PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jamie Collins...the Chung turn around?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brady_to_Moss

28-3....
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Just like when Chung left and came back...he got better.

Same thing is happening with Collins. Left and came back better IMO.

He's been amazing so far...looks completely different in my eyes.

When we drafted Jamie, there were rumors floating that people wondered whether he was playing because he enjoyed things or because he knew full well of his athletic potential and couldn't turn down the windfall.

When we were all wondering which two of Collins/HT/Jones would be locked up long term I remember being hopefull his apparent friendship with HT and the NE success would motivate him to take a more team friendly deal.

Hindsight being 20/20, it would indeed seem Collins was, and likely is, playing for the money rather than the glorified "love of the game." Please don't misinterpret my pointing this out as me thinking it is unreasonable or in some way a negative, but rather just the way things are in Jamie's reality.

He supposedly started freelancing (those with more knowledge than myself have floated this repeatedly), in search of "payday" stats, the year we shipped him to the browns. I do remember seeing a few "lowlights" of Jamie flat out playing like he was disinterested while in Cleveland.

What does all this mean? Jamie spent the last few years in football pergatory, playing out his first big payday. He has seen dysfunction. When his contract was up, back he came. He knows full well that BB can utilize him and leverage his strengths in ways other systems flat out can't. This time, he's happily drinking the Koolaide rather than eyeing it and sniffing it for foreign substances. He wants to get paid again, and he knows just the guy to make sure everyone knows he has plenty of gas left in the tank. Hell, maybe he stays on if we can afford something in the same area code, but thats a discussion for another time.

Jamie is definately still an athletic freak.

Honestly he seems like pretty much the same guy to me. He's still guessing out there, just seems to be guessing correctly more often than not. Hopefully it keeps up.

Everyone has their priorities and no matter who you are things always look a bit different once financial security has been attained. I never fault a player for wanting to get paid. I do however fault one that freelances and puts his own goals ahead of the team's to do it.

it's because he realized how much it sucks going 0-16 regardless how much money you make.

So Collins will be busted for coke in a couple of years?

(I’m kidding, I’m kidding.)

Roughly he made $3 million with his rookie deal here and about $30 million the last 2 years in Cleveland. If he is looking purely for the money, and he continues to play way he has, he's gone. Somebody will break the bank for him. If, however the Patriots makes him an offer he isn't insulted by/BB thinks is reasonable/cap friendly yatta yatta yatta... maybe he looks at the money he's banked and starts thinking about his legacy and how more fun ( Thanks Lane ) it is to be playing towards a February game than packing your bags and packing it in in late October...and he sticks around.

He's been awesome. I would say his first stint was much more successful than Chung's. But BB states Chung was just misused.

He's been awesome. I would say his first stint was much more successful than Chung's. But BB states Chung was just misused.

Great observation, Belichick has gone out of his way to do more than Chung a bone when speaking of him. Whatever was in his first stint here is dust now, Chung is def a BB guy.

A little late to this party, BTM ,"The Chung Effect". (patent pending/copywrite pending) IS a real thing. It goes back to something we all sometimes forget. That players can improve over the years and what you see of a player isn't necessarily all that there is. They evolve. Some for the good, others, not so much.

Another factor comes into play that we often don't figure in, and that's sometimes the system doesn't fit or perhaps the player wasn't used to his best advantage. Coaches often have to make decisions based on current information and only after the fact realize what MIGHT have been. BB pretty much admitted that when talking about Chung's resurgence the 2nd time around.

So in the there are a lot of things to be factored in when you evaluate a player. Collins returns having made his "big money", but that doesn't mean he can't make a lot more than he's currently being paid. Maybe he takes a "team friendly" deal that keeps him here. I don't know. I DO know that if he continues to make impact plays every week, then a true "market deal" won't be possible. But he'll be 30 next season, so maybe that will lower his market. Who knows

All I know for THIS season, we have an impact player for a bargain price. After that we can start a thread wondering if Collins will be back. There are a lot of key contracts that end this season including Brady's, Thuney's, McCourty's, etc. True the Pats will have SOME cap space going into the 2020 season(I've heard $27MM, but that's a guess., However just the 3 I mentioned will ALL take 8 figure APY's to stay.

So I choose to keep my focus year to year......just like my lifespan expectation. ;). Next March it will start to come into focus, so why bother worrying about it now.

He was pretty awesome the first go around. I remember the interceptions, sacks etc.

Roughly he made $3 million with his rookie deal here and about $30 million the last 2 years in Cleveland. If he is looking purely for the money, and he continues to play way he has, he's gone. Somebody will break the bank for him. If, however the Patriots makes him an offer he isn't insulted by/BB thinks is reasonable/cap friendly yatta yatta yatta... maybe he looks at the money he's banked and starts thinking about his legacy and how more fun ( Thanks Lane ) it is to be playing towards a February game than packing your bags and packing it in in late October...and he sticks around.
Someone will break the bank for a 30+ year old Collins? I doubt it.

It goes both ways. I remember Greg Spires having a so so rookie contract here, but really turned up his game when he got into the Tampa system. Not on the scale of Collins, but just a small example.

Having a coach and a system that recognizes and utilizes strengths can’t be understated.

Honestly he seems like pretty much the same guy to me. He's still guessing out there, just seems to be guessing correctly more often than not. Hopefully it keeps up.
better to be lucky... :)

BB had even stated he utilized him wrong playing him at FS. Playing him at SS was when it turned around.

Collins has been fantastic so far.

It goes both ways. I remember Greg Spires having a so so rookie contract here, but really turned up his game when he got into the Tampa system. Not on the scale of Collins, but just a small example.

Having a coach and a system that recognizes and utilizes strengths can’t be understated.
He was an undersized DE but was a perfect fit in the Tampa 2 scheme.

Jamie was my favorite of the trio back then (Jones/Hightower/Collins), but I deferred to Bill when he was traded to the Browns. Would be awesome if he has a Chung-like second stint with the Pats. Super exited with the additions to the front 7 - Collins, Bennett, Winovich

It put a lot of things into perspective when you went 0-16 with J-Mac on the Browns team then you see him win a Super Bowl with the Pats last season. I feel like he is more mature now and he's still got the abilities to make plays.

He was an undersized DE but was a perfect fit in the Tampa 2 scheme.

Right, think he was like 6-1. Showed flashes as a rusher, 6 sacks one season. Can’t remember why he was released? Team rules? Not sure if it was ever revealed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back