PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

James White's knee on the TD

Status
Not open for further replies.
The chip in the ball and pylons would solve so many issues. Might of cost the Steelers SB XL :D
The league can't even get headsets to work properly and they don't even know that air pressure decreases in cold weather. Do you really trust those morons to install reliable electronics??

Furthermore, how do you have one single chip reliably represent an entire football which could be on any position along its axis?

it's about time we go with the neon football.
711NN-500x500.jpg

Or they can put a microchip in every ball

Got a good freeze frame. Unlike other freeze frame pics going around the yellow circle in this one IS the front of the football. Can't be any more obvious the ball broke the plane before his knee touched down.

PS: The "controversy" was because some Fans circulated a freeze-Frame pic taken AFTER the defenders pushed him backwards After his knee was down. Yours is the before knee down photo. All depends on when you look as to whether you can manufacture a controversy or not.

• Agree
Reactions: sb1
PS: The "controversy" was because some Fans circulated a freeze-Frame pic taken AFTER the defenders pushed him backwards After his knee was down. Yours is the before knee down photo. All depends on when you look as to whether you can manufacture a controversy or not.

That and the fact his bicep was mistaken for the football.

I find it funny that people want to debate the last inch of a historic 25 point comeback. 545 yards of offense, 31 unanswered points and they are crapping their pants over the last inch.

I find it funny that they're hanging onto this instance when the refs actually missed a call in the Pats favor on Malcolm Mitchell's 3rd and 11 catch which it seems pretty clear he actually dropped and no one noticed. It's the catch where everyone remembers he unwisely almost put the ball down untouched, but if you watch the instant replay slo mo, you see the ball coming out and NO ONE noticed. Not the refs, not the Falcons, not the announcers. It would have made the Pats convert a 4th and 11 if it was called.

So one missed call on either side. The Pats legally blocked that extra point, and Mitchell secretly dropped that ball.

Furthermore, how do you have one single chip reliably represent an entire football which could be on any position along its axis?

They've been able to do THAT for at least a decade. A bit of magnetic agent in the ball's paint will allow the chip to record the location of the entire football and record exactly, down to the microsecond, when the plane was broken. Really useful for video reviews of exactly this kind because then all the officials have to judge is when the player was down, compare it to the time the plane was crossed, and make a ruling..

Or for another take on the same thing, put chips in the pylons and use magnetic paint on the ball, you wouldn't even need line judges in the endzone, though of course keep them just in case the tech breaks down in bad weather or something.

Or they can put a microchip in every ball

6 microchips. If any part of the ball touches the goal line it's a TD. You'd have to cover every part of the ball not just shove a chip in the center and call it a day. Plus, what happens if it malfunctions (a real possibility when 300 lb guys are landing on it and it's bouncing off the turf and players' hands).

They've been able to do THAT for at least a decade. A bit of magnetic agent in the ball's paint
What paint?
will allow the chip to record the location of the entire football and record exactly, down to the microsecond, when the plane was broken. Really useful for video reviews of exactly this kind because then all the officials have to judge is when the player was down, compare it to the time the plane was crossed, and make a ruling..

Or for another take on the same thing, put chips in the pylons and use magnetic paint on the ball, you wouldn't even need line judges in the endzone, though of course keep them just in case the tech breaks down in bad weather or something.
Like I said.... this league cannot even run headset communications reliably, and you think they can put magnetic agents in the ball's paint and chips in the pylons? Whuh huh??? And do you think that player will just have no problem with covering the ball in "magnetic paint"??

6 microchips. If any part of the ball touches the goal line it's a TD. You'd have to cover every part of the ball not just shove a chip in the center and call it a day. Plus, what happens if it malfunctions (a real possibility when 300 lb guys are landing on it and it's bouncing off the turf and players' hands).

I'm sure they can figure out a way so that 1 microchip can determine if any part of the ball breaks the plane.

And yes the microchip can malfunction. But this technology should only be used as a backup to the referees' determination and replay.

And frankly how is a microchip going to determine whether a runner's knee was down prior to the ball crossing the plane? There are a lot of questions that need to be answered.

And frankly how is a microchip going to determine whether a runner's knee was down prior to the ball crossing the plane? There are a lot of questions that need to be answered.

1. Microchips
2. More Microchips
3. ???
4. Profit!

It would look silly but the NFL should consider changing the color of the ball to something that doesn't camouflage with the average NFL player.
I agree it would look silly (anyone remember the old ABA basketballs?) and I imagine that fans and players alike would object to an orange (or neon green or whatever) ball, but that's the most original suggestion I've heard in a long time. Would also make it easier for officials to see who has the ball at the bottom of a pile after a fumble. Probably also make it easier for a Receiver to pick up a ball with his eyes in the rain.

Yes, the predictable outcome of "over-engineering" anything.

I find it funny that people want to debate the last inch of a historic 25 point comeback. 545 yards of offense, 31 unanswered points and they are crapping their pants over the last inch.
Yeah, almost as absurd as Deflategate....

I find it funny that they're hanging onto this instance when the refs actually missed a call in the Pats favor on Malcolm Mitchell's 3rd and 11 catch which it seems pretty clear he actually dropped and no one noticed. It's the catch where everyone remembers he unwisely almost put the ball down untouched, but if you watch the instant replay slo mo, you see the ball coming out and NO ONE noticed. Not the refs, not the Falcons, not the announcers. It would have made the Pats convert a 4th and 11 if it was called.

So one missed call on either side. The Pats legally blocked that extra point, and Mitchell secretly dropped that ball.

Oh man, I'll have to take a look at this again.

What paint?

Pigment then. This is a distinction without a difference.

Like I said.... this league cannot even run headset communications reliably, and you think they can put magnetic agents in the ball's paint and chips in the pylons? Whuh huh??? And do you think that player will just have no problem with covering the ball in "magnetic paint"??
All I'm saying is the technology exists. It could be done if tthe NFL brass were competent and forward-thinking enough to do it.

I have never seen so much discussion over a call that 99.99% of the public agrees was a no brainer TD.

One single conspiracy theorist idiot out there thought White's arm was the ball, and now people in here want to install electronic neon magnetic paint chips that the black helicopters can electronically track on all pigmented sides of the ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes