PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

James White's knee on the TD

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's correct. He still had his hand on it. He didn't let it go. The defender tried to grab at it but the ref blew the whistle.
I've just seen other people criticize him or that play, either the initial catch or putting the ball down. But, as we've seen:
a) the catch was clean
b) as you said, he gave himself up
c) even if he didn't give himself up, he still held onto the ball... It wasn't a "rookie thinking he was playing by college rules"
d) he was actually reaching for the extra yard or two because he knew he wasn't down and he was aware of where he was in regards to the first down. As soon as a defender touches him to knock the ball out, the play's dead anyways. Just a heads up, clutch, NFL caliber play.

I've just seen other people criticize him or that play, either the initial catch or putting the ball down. But, as we've seen:
a) the catch was clean
b) as you said, he gave himself up
c) even if he didn't give himself up, he still held onto the ball... It wasn't a "rookie thinking he was playing by college rules"
d) he was actually reaching for the extra yard or two because he knew he wasn't down and he was aware of where he was in regards to the first down. As soon as a defender touches him to knock the ball out, the play's dead anyways. Just a heads up, clutch, NFL caliber play.

You know what. I was one of those who wasn't sure what he was thinking when he slammed the ball down but he might have been making sure he got the first down. I never thought of that.

Edit: I just rewatched it and you are exactly right. He was reaching for more yards. It was more of a heads up play than I realized. Good stuff Schmo.

You know what. I was one of those who wasn't sure what he was thinking when he slammed the ball down but he might have been making sure he got the first down. I never thought of that.

Edit: I just rewatched it and you are exactly right. He was reaching for more yards. It was more of a heads up play than I realized. Good stuff Schmo.
It doesn't help that Troy Aikman was screaming his head off, saying, "He put the ball down! What a rookie mistake! They should challenge that!" or whatever he said.

No. Troy. You're wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye