PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jake Bailey Extended

I was thinking pretty far ahead earlier that I didn’t really look at what he’s making. Thats a really good deal for someone who may be an elite punter currently

Edit: eh, looked up some numbers and it’s actually probably right in line with the top punter salaries. Still happy with it nonetheless

I was thinking pretty far ahead earlier that I didn’t really look at what he’s making. Thats a really good deal for someone who may be an elite punter currently

Edit: eh, looked up some numbers and it’s actually probably right in line with the top punter salaries. Still happy with it nonetheless
Or you could have just read the Adam Schefter and Mike Reiss tweets earlier in this thread and saved your self some time

Or you could have just read the Adam Schefter and Mike Reiss tweets earlier in this thread and saved your self some time

I wanted to do it the old fashioned way

He was getting $3.98M this year, not guaranteed, because he made the Pro Bowl in 2020.

This is now the 2nd player many posters wanted cut, only to get an extension.

huh? people wanted Bailey cut? I dont remember that narrative... think most were aware of the proven performance bonus and that he would be extended at some point...

huh? people wanted Bailey cut? I dont remember that narrative... think most were aware of the proven performance bonus and that he would be extended at some point...
They were suggesting the team cut him because of the performance bonus. There was a thread on that.

Some posters want to cut every expensive player to get more room to sign free agents and some posters want to trade every veteran to get more draft picks. It’s always the same. Best punter in the league, cut him and sign a free agent rookie punter.

I think it’s interesting that they’ve made it to a cap space level that they can operate on for the rest of the year without touching any of the big easy contracts like Judon or Henry.

I think it’s interesting that they’ve made it to a cap space level that they can operate on for the rest of the year without touching any of the big easy contracts like Judon or Henry.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, and while they are in good shape cap wise when considering what they have in future cap space, they barely have enough current space to cover 52, 53, and the practice squad.

We, myself included, only suggested that Bailey might get cut due to his massive $4 Mil salary which is massive for a punter.

Very few posters, if anyone, suggested he get cut due to performance. Now Davon is a whole different story...

There are always people who want the kickers cut.

The thought from some was that if Araiza is really the stud he’s supposed to be, he’ll be only like 500k a year

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, and while they are in good shape cap wise when considering what they have in future cap space, they barely have enough current space to cover 52, 53, and the practice squad.
That’s what I mean - they have enough to squeak by (at least as far as I understand it) for the rest of this season without having modified any of the more obvious contracts that most people point to in order to free up money like Judon’s. In reality they should create more money for this season but I don’t believe they explicitly have to at this point, or at least shouldn’t need to create very much more.

All 3 Phases baby!!!!!

Big booming punts with two of the best Gunners in the league in Slater and Bethel.

If Thornton looks good at Gunner in real games as he does in practice they may allow zero returns.

Field position matters… special team’s matter.

Extending Bailey (especially after his performance escalator hit) was always the assumption. I don't think BB ever entertained the thought of cutting him.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back