Jags hire Urban Meyer.

Kontradiction

On my retirement tour.
PatsFans.com Supporter
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
2023 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Official as of this afternoon. I guess they’re keeping Trent Baalke as the GM, but I would assume that Urban would have some significant input on the draft and personnel decisions. Top pick in the draft/Lawrence, two picks in the first round, anywhere from $78M-$100M+ in cap space. That team could quickly turn around if Meyer actually commits beyond a five year period of time and Lawrence is the real deal. I’m not sure how much he will have to retool his offense at the pro level. One would think it would have to be significant or else he will get Lawrence killed.

Jacksonville was the most attractive location for a coach.

1. Nowhere to go but up.

2. Khan gives every coach a good amount of time to get his program up.

3. They will get a generational QB who they can build around.

4. They have the 1st overall and the Rams pick in the first round (Ramsey trade), they have the 33rd overall and 45th overall in the second round due to the Minnesota trade, and they have two 4th round picks.

5. The AFC South is probably going to be the easiest division outside the NFC East where a team can build and take control very fast.

They already have the answer in Chris Conley
Expecting him to Break Moss’s td record next season
They actually have a pretty good receiving corps. Chark, Shenault, Cole. They need a TE and to bolster their OL (which I suspect they’ll do with the Rams pick... either that or a DT), plus a compliment to James Robinson. But that offense has some of the pieces necessary for a quick turnaround. They’ll be a very interesting team to watch.

Jacksonville was the most attractive location for a coach.

1. Nowhere to go but up.

2. Khan gives every coach a good amount of time to get his program up.

3. They will get a generational QB who they can build around.

4. They have the 1st overall and the Rams pick in the first round (Ramsey trade), they have the 33rd overall and 45th overall in the second round due to the Minnesota trade, and they have two 4th round picks.

5. The AFC South is probably going to be the easiest division outside the NFC East where a team can build and take control very fast.
6. There is no pressure from the fans because they don’t have any.

Is Meyers physically able to coach an entire nfl season?

will what he did at Florida and Ohio state translate in the nfl?

does he have enough time to fully implement his systems?

Get a new GM. Trent ruined the 9ers. I b**** about Billy's drafts since 2013, but holy s*** he had some bad drafts with the 9ers.

If Lawrence is smart, he'll say no thank you to the Jaguars and force his way to the Dolphins if they want him. Elway/Eli were ahead of the game. More players need to follow suit and not reward awful organizations like the Jags.

Get a new GM. Trent ruined the 9ers. I b**** about Billy's drafts since 2013, but holy s*** he had some bad drafts with the 9ers.

If Lawrence is smart, he'll say no thank you to the Jaguars and force his way to the Dolphins if they want him. Elway/Eli were ahead of the game. More players need to follow suit and not reward awful organizations like the Jags.

Dolphins likely will stick with Tua. Tua didn't do anything that would make the Dolphins ditch after 1 season. Tua isn't bust Rosen.

They actually have a pretty good receiving corps. Chark, Shenault, Cole. They need a TE and to bolster their OL (which I suspect they’ll do with the Rams pick... either that or a DT), plus a compliment to James Robinson. But that offense has some of the pieces necessary for a quick turnaround. They’ll be a very interesting team to watch.
Build that OL and that offense is pretty legit very soon. Chark is a low end WR1 with a real QB and Lawrence will love Shenault by the way him and Rodgers took off this year from game one.

Go get a tackle or two, maybe Trent Williams and Leatherwood/Cosmi. Maybe BPA (offensive target) round two, I'd probably go TE or slot. Maybe even with the pick after that too. I'm making sure that offense is as ready as can be.

Urban Meyer is All Elite.

Meyer could flame out. I'm trying to think of the last college coach who had success. Carroll had prior nfl experience. The others all seemed to get fired.

Meyer could flame out. I'm trying to think of the last college coach who had success. Carroll had prior nfl experience. The others all seemed to get fired.

Jimmy Johnson, Chip Kelly, Tom Coughlin, Jim Harbaugh, and Bill Walsh. But yes, the list of college coaches who came in and absolutely **** the bed is a long one.

EDIT: Oh and that buffoon Barry Switzer also coached at Oklahoma before he took Jimmy Johnson’s team and won a Lombardi.

BB may allow some NE coaches to move up on Meyers staff.

Quite possibly a new trading partner since BB and Meyer are on such good terms.

Jimmy Johnson, Chip Kelly, Tom Coughlin, Jim Harbaugh, and Bill Walsh. But yes, the list of college coaches who came in and absolutely **** the bed is a long one.

EDIT: Oh and that buffoon Barry Switzer also coached at Oklahoma before he took Jimmy Johnson’s team and won a Lombardi.
Good list : I’d chalk up Chip Kelly as a fail. He had one good year, but apart from that...

Good list : I’d chalk up Chip Kelly as a fail. He had one good year, but apart from that...

and Coughlin had NFL coaching experience prior to going to BC...

Jimmy Johnson and Bill Walsh were a long time ago.

The Jags could be the new Ravens. Meyer has never been about discipline wherever he has been Head Coach.

Jimmy Johnson and Bill Walsh were a long time ago.

The Jags could be the new Ravens. Meyer has never been about discipline wherever he has been Head Coach.
I think it's more probable that he'll fail... and then bail, than succeed. He doesn't get to recruit the top of the top in the NFL.

It depends on what the poster means by success, I suppose. He did take that 2013 Eagles team to the playoffs.

I think it's more probable that he'll fail... and then bail, than succeed. He doesn't get to recruit the top of the top in the NFL.
Yes, I would guess that he fails and part of the reason will be that Meyers is not managing kids anymore.

Also, a tremendous amount of pressure in on Lawrence. Usually these very successful QBs have stability at Head Coach. Brady had BB 20 years, Brees and Payton 13 years, Eli and Coughlin 11 years, Ben and Tomlin 14 years.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back