PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jack Jones News Update Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
So he was packing two loaded glocks with extra ammunition clips. WHY?

That's so idiotic. And it feels so specific. This elevates the charges because of the 'high capacity' feed law.

It does feel silly though that he would get off on a 'lesser' charge if he was carrying the infamous AR15 in his luggage.

But to put that into your airport luggage in the first place is still SUPER STUPID!

You don't think they scan every piece of luggage these days?

Last edited:
When you go hunting in other States/Countries you fly with your guns. I have flown out of Maine and NH, which were easy, you just have to follow the rules. I wouldn't try out of Logan.
Piece of cake out of Manchvegas.

Our first trip, we scoured the airport website, the airline and the destination airport, and had all the requirements met. Manchester said that they had an unposted rule that the case had to have every lock location filled, so they gave me two more locks. Pain free. Apologized that it wasn't posted anywhere.

Really.

A sailor was sent to prison because he took a selfie and a screen behind him had classified material displayed on it making the selfie classified. He didn't intend to create and then distribute it when he sent it to his family but he was still punished for it.

And you don't think a sailor that purposefully takes pictures of classified materials and distributes them will not get a longer prison sentence?

And you don't think a sailor that purposefully takes pictures of classified materials and distributes them will not get a longer prison sentence?
I dunno. Sometimes those people get really long sentences and then get a presidential pardon.

Here's a bit from the thing I wrote this morning where Tom Curran made a good point on Jones' decision to try and just go through security if he honestly knew they were in his bag, along with his thoughts on how the team might view it:

---
NBC Sports Boston’s Tom Curran appeared on Gresh and Fauria on WEEI on Tuesday and talked about the embattled cornerback’s situation.

Curran talked at length about Jones’ situation, saying while he’s not sure how the team will ultimately handle things, he feels there has to be an explanation as to why Jones ended up in front of TSA with two guns in his bag.

“He is going to have a plausible explanation for why those guns were in his bag, and he showed up at security,” said Curran. “We can all understand, as much as we’ve said, ‘How stupid can you be?’, we all know, in our heart of hearts, he did not walk out of the door and say, ‘Yep, two guns they won’t find? Here I go.”

“So there’s going to be an explanation as to why they were there. Whether he forgot, somebody put them there, he took the wrong bag, there’s going to be an explanation. Whether that explanation is sufficient and plausible enough for the Patriots to say, ‘You know what? He’s been a really good employee, this is totally out of left field and not indicative of either a careless individual or someone who needs to have guns wherever he travels,’ will probably decide. Not whether or not he’s found guilty or innocent of having a plausible explanation.”

However, Curran also said that Jones got some support from a former teammate. Curran said that in a text exchange with retired safety, Devin McCourty, following the news, the former Patriots player and teammate stuck up for Jones.

“I texted a little bit with Devin McCourty yesterday, and he simply said, ‘he is a good kid,'” said Curran. “He’s just had a tough upbringing, and sometimes it’s hard for guys to shake loose from the way things that they have seen growing up.”

“But he did pledge, ‘this is a good kid.’ He didn’t just say, ‘Oh, it was a matter of time.'”
--
The part about McCourty I thought was interesting. He could have chosen his words more carefully if he really felt the kid might be a problem, rather than being so positive on him. And Curran was a little uneasy even mentioning it, but even he admitted the same thing. So that's sort of interesting and puts Jones in a better light given what happened.

I honestly think he just screwed up and if he does carry those, it's probably more for protection than a guy looking for trouble. Although, like others have mentioned, obviously you wonder exactly what he's dealing with and that there definitely might be more to the story from a personal standpoint on his part.

Last edited:
Hand guns don't "accidentally" discharge, especially with modern handguns. You need to pull the trigger for them to go bang. That is called a negligent discharge, when they go bang when you didn't intend.
The point of the ammo being in close proximity is that that is a specific thing that is forbidden. The ammo for guns going on planes has to be widely separated from the gun.

That's a great question. It seems you might have the answer, please share. Or instead perhaps you could have posted something like this: "You may not have known Jones' guns were in locked cases, hence precluding the possibility of accidental discharge even with one loaded." And I would've said, "Thanks for the info."
They weren't. It's been specifically reported that the case was UNlocked.

This is starting to remind me of the AB story in that we didn't hear much about his transgressions that occurred while he was in Pissburgh until he landed here and gave the team a serious WR threat. Then, all of a sudden, AB was the main topic everywhere.

The media seems to have it out for the Pats with this story, especially when compared to other incidents with players from other teams.
what other crimes were committed this week that the sports media should have carried instead?

You are endorsing him being cut, you are arguing for his release.
Yes and I gave you my reasons. It's not an arbitrary opinion. Keeping Jones around is bad for the team (for the reasons I stated).

Why would cutting a starting level player be “best in the long run”?
It wouldn't for the play on the field but that's not point here. We're not debating his ability to play. We're debating his character, his conduct, the criminal charges, and whether or not he should be cut from the team for those issues.

There is absolutely zero chance that Kraft lays around fearing that if a player commits a crime, the charge he was cleared of will get brought up. That’s ridiculous.
I disagree. My understanding is there's a video recording, that if released, would completely ruin his reputation and make him the butt of jokes.

Yes, I have absolutely no doubt that you want him to be cut so that you can use Jack Jones as an example of a bad pick to criticize Belichick. I also have no doubt you want the patriots to not do well as long as Belichick is here for the very same reasons. I think I am in the majority in having that opinion about you.
I'll tell you right now it's a bad pick, I don't have to wait until he's cut. The way I see it right now, the player isn't long for the team, or maybe for the NFL, so Bill gambled on the pick (of a player with questionable character) and it didn't work out. That's a bad pick. But so what, I don't think that's the main point here, Bill has made many, many bad picks so I don't think we need to harp on this particular one. There are other more interesting aspects of this situation. And too, I could be wrong, he may not get cut, and stay out of any further trouble, and have a nice NFL career. We're all speculating at this point.

I don't think anything that happens here, or anywhere like this, is even on the radar of the team, much less of concern to them.
They'll have a few minutes in a team meeting about it, and that'll be that.
I'm not talking about Kraft investing his time in reading up on the opinions shared on this forum. I'm talking about the media who aren't going to just drop this from their radar or be satisfied with "the team met about it for a few minutes" so nothing more to see here now.

LOL you say cut him because it will hurt the team and make BB look bad -- you are already p*ssing on the draft pick. You are a troll in not-very-convincing fan's clothing..
Can you read? I said cut him because the charges are pretty serious, he already has a criminal record, and his player conduct history is poor (including with the Patriots in only 1 season). You act like he shoplifted a Twiz from Cumberland Farms.

No offense meant to you, but this is really pathetic.

Who says Kraft has to be extra sensitive because of Aaron Hernandez? **** that. ****y scared attitude. Kraft's business will not be affected one bit by keeping Jones and his "serious" charges around. Court of public opinion? Jeezus, really? Let's cut a very good young player because some losers might cause us some grief and pass judgment on us.

Might as well fill a tub with water and start bobbing for tampons at that point.
No offense taken because I'm not saying that's how it should be. I'm saying it's how it will be. Kraft considers everything from a business standpoint which includes being mindful of his reputation and his team's reputation as perceived by the public.

And Aaron Hernandez turned out to be a mass murderer who Kraft employed for three years. That is going to have a lasting effect on how he handles certain situations (particularly ones that involve guns and crimes).

Here's a bit from the thing I wrote this morning where Tom Curran made a good point on Jones' decision to try and just go through security if he honestly knew they were in his bag, along with his thoughts on how the team might view it:

---
NBC Sports Boston’s Tom Curran appeared on Gresh and Fauria on WEEI on Tuesday and talked about the embattled cornerback’s situation.

Curran talked at length about Jones’ situation, saying while he’s not sure how the team will ultimately handle things, he feels there has to be an explanation as to why Jones ended up in front of TSA with two guns in his bag.

“He is going to have a plausible explanation for why those guns were in his bag, and he showed up at security,” said Curran. “We can all understand, as much as we’ve said, ‘How stupid can you be?’, we all know, in our heart of hearts, he did not walk out of the door and say, ‘Yep, two guns they won’t find? Here I go.”

“So there’s going to be an explanation as to why they were there. Whether he forgot, somebody put them there, he took the wrong bag, there’s going to be an explanation. Whether that explanation is sufficient and plausible enough for the Patriots to say, ‘You know what? He’s been a really good employee, this is totally out of left field and not indicative of either a careless individual or someone who needs to have guns wherever he travels,’ will probably decide. Not whether or not he’s found guilty or innocent of having a plausible explanation.”

However, Curran also said that Jones got some support from a former teammate. Curran said that in a text exchange with retired safety, Devin McCourty, following the news, the former Patriots player and teammate stuck up for Jones.

“I texted a little bit with Devin McCourty yesterday, and he simply said, ‘he is a good kid,'” said Curran. “He’s just had a tough upbringing, and sometimes it’s hard for guys to shake loose from the way things that they have seen growing up.”

“But he did pledge, ‘this is a good kid.’ He didn’t just say, ‘Oh, it was a matter of time.'”
--
The part about McCourty I thought was interesting. He could have chosen his words more carefully if he really felt the kid might be a problem, rather than being so positive on him. And Curran was a little uneasy even mentioning it, but even he admitted the same thing. So that's sort of interesting and puts Jones in a better light given what happened.

I honestly think he just screwed up and if he does carry those, it's probably more for protection than a guy looking for trouble. Although, like others have mentioned, obviously you wonder exactly what he's dealing with and that there definitely might be more to the story from a personal standpoint on his part.
One thing tho….Jack Jones is originally from Long Beach, CA…and CA has the most stringent gun laws in the nation…. so he had to at least be aware of the extra magazine capacity laws on the books and about SECURING your gun collection. He at least had the guns in an UFC gun box of some sort…but that wasn’t locked.

Not sure what will happen in court, with the Patriots, and the NFL…although I am sure the NFL will suspend him a few games…

I am just hoping for a massive fine, probation, and a 4 game NFL suspension at this point….

But Jones has a prior for “commercial burglary “ (food?) from Panda Express about 5 years ago…think that is a mismeanor…but I don’t have the details on that.

When the AB thing came down, I wanted him gone fast. Like in seconds.

I want the Patriots to keep Jones.

The comparison doesn't mean anything really other than I am not an absolute homer who never wants to see anyone cut.

The point of the ammo being in close proximity is that that is a specific thing that is forbidden. The ammo for guns going on planes has to be widely separated from the gun.
This is from TSA:

Firearms​

• When traveling, comply with the laws concerning possession of firearms as they vary by local, state and international governments.
  • If you are traveling internationally with a firearm in checked baggage, please check the U.S. Customs and Border Protection website for information and requirements prior to travel.

• Declare each firearm each time you present it for transport as checked baggage. Ask your airline about limitations or fees that may apply.

• Firearms must be unloaded and locked in a hard-sided container and transported as checked baggage only. As defined by 49 CFR 1540.5 a loaded firearm has a live round of ammunition, or any component thereof, in the chamber or cylinder or in a magazine inserted in the firearm. For civil enforcement purposes, TSA also considers a firearm to be loaded when both the firearm and ammunition are accessible to the passenger. For example, if an individual has a firearm in accessible baggage and ammunition in his/her pocket, or any combination where the individual has access to both, the firearm is considered "loaded" for purposes of assessing a civil penalty. Only the passenger should retain the key or combination to the lock unless TSA personnel request the key to open the firearm container to ensure compliance with TSA regulations. You may use any brand or type of lock to secure your firearm case, including TSA-recognized locks.

• Bringing an unloaded firearm with accessible ammunition to the security checkpoint carries the same civil penalty/fine as bringing a loaded firearm to the checkpoint. You may find information on civil penalties at the Civil Enforcement page.

• Firearm parts, including magazines, clips, bolts and firing pins, are prohibited in carry-on baggage, but may be transported in checked baggage.
  • Replica firearms, including firearm replicas that are toys, may be transported in checked baggage only.

• Rifle scopes are permitted in carry-on and checked baggage.

Ammunition​

• Ammunition is prohibited in carry-on baggage, but may be transported in checked baggage

• Firearm magazines and ammunition clips, whether loaded or empty, must be securely boxed or included within a hard-sided case containing an unloaded firearm. Read the requirements governing the transport of ammunition in checked baggage as defined by 49 CFR 175.10 (a)(8).

• Small arms ammunition (up to .75 caliber and shotgun shells of any gauge) must be packaged in a fiber (such as cardboard), wood, plastic, or metal box specifically designed to carry ammunition and declared to your airline.

• Ammunition may be transported in the same hard-sided, locked case as a firearm if it has been packed as described above. You cannot use firearm magazines or clips for packing ammunition unless they completely enclose the ammunition. Firearm magazines and ammunition clips, whether loaded or empty, must be boxed or included within a hard-sided, locked case.

• Please check with your airline for quantity limits for ammunition.

The "accessible ammunition" section on firearms seems vaguely worded to me. We were told at the gate the ammo must be in an original factory box and can be in the same locked case as the gun or guns. Either way, in a carry on is certainly forbidden.

When the AB thing came down, I wanted him gone fast. Like in seconds.

I want the Patriots to keep Jones.

The comparison doesn't mean anything really other than I am not an absolute homer who never wants to see anyone cut.
Why did you want AB gone, but not Jack Jones?

There’s a big difference between the two. Brown only had accusations against him - which of course, nothing happened. He only paid a whopping $100k to Brittany Taylor. He was really cut after the media wrongly thought he posted a photo of the painters’ kids as a “threat” but he was only sharing it with his friends to humiliate her that she was a “broke single Mom”. The media can cancel anybody they want these days.

Jack Jones actually got arrested and facing serious consequences which seem very harsh. He also has a record. AB didn’t.

Why did you want AB gone, but not Jack Jones?

There’s a big difference between the two. Brown only had accusations against him - which of course, nothing happened. He only paid a whopping $100k to Brittany Taylor. He was really cut after the media wrongly thought he posted a photo of the painters’ kids as a “threat” but he was only sharing it with his friends to humiliate her that she was a “broke single Mom”. The media can cancel anybody they want these days.

Jack Jones actually got arrested and facing serious consequences which seem very harsh. He also has a record. AB didn’t.
Two completely different situations…

AB at that point was basically on his last chance after the Raiders released him…

And sex crime accusations out weight gun accusations in this country at least….

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe