PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jabaal Sheard to the Colts - 3yr/$25.5 w/$12.7 guaranteed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sheard is interesting in that he got benched a game & never let it become a big deal. Ends season, plays in SB. That weekend he stayed home - I figured it was over for him.

Having said that, I felt 2016 would be an excellent year for him. Since it wasn't, I am ok w him moving on.
I really thought he was going to be a monster in 2016.

3 years 25 million!:eek:
12m guaranteed.

A little on the pricey side, but that isn't much more than he was making as a Patriot

Given how desperate the Colts are for solid defensive lineman, I think its worth it to them until they can draft some young bodies

And I want to vomit typing that

Colts just made themselves worse with that signing if you account for opportunity cost, so I'm fine with it. I'd have been kinda unhappy if we'd paid him 6, so if the Colts want to pay him 8+ then go for it.

Feeling pretty good in general about FA at this point. Going in, the four UFAs I was most okay with losing were Ryan, Bennett, Sheard and Blount. Bennett was the only one that I didn't think was readily replaceable, and we managed to get someone who's only a moderate downgrade from him so I'd say it worked out. As long as we bring Hightower back, I'll consider this a success. If they manage to make some progress with Butler, all the better.

I think this is a good signing for the Colts (damn it). Sheard gave the Pats 2 solid years. He and Long both didn't have the sack total we expected but both did well with QB pressures and hits and both were solid against the run.

Personally I'm not sure Ealy, to this point, has been as good as Sheard. I only hope that in his contract year, he will become as good.

A final point: I think we have to really start to wait until we see exactly how these contracts are structured before we start throwing out numbers like $8MM/yr. Remember the first numbers we always hear are the ones the agents are giving the mediots. So they are including all the incentive dollars and phoney baloney last years of the contract money too. Right now all we know is about the $4MM/yr "guaranteed: money, and even then sometimes guanateed money winds up not being guaranteed..

Man, Jabaal must have taken that benching real hard. Sticking it to BB. :eek:o_O

This is brilliance by the NE FO. They are putting on quite the exhibition.

And the Butler for Cooks smokescreen is classic!

Just to point out the obvious, because I think people (in general, not you) are getting way ahead of things:

This is only a great move if it works out.

Good for him.....LOL @ the Colts

Bennett, Sheard.....let them be an example to others of what a stop in NE can get you

The Ealy trade reduces the sting, but DE needs to be a major priority in the draft,
provided that we have any draft picks remaining.

Colts just made themselves worse with that signing if you account for opportunity cost, so I'm fine with it. I'd have been kinda unhappy if we'd paid him 6, so if the Colts want to pay him 8+ then go for it.

Feeling pretty good in general about FA at this point. Going in, the four UFAs I was most okay with losing were Ryan, Bennett, Sheard and Blount. Bennett was the only one that I didn't think was readily replaceable, and we managed to get someone who's only a moderate downgrade from him so I'd say it worked out. As long as we bring Hightower back, I'll consider this a success. If they manage to make some progress with Butler, all the better.

This how I see it as well, and they paid almost nothing for Allen and Ealy. If they re-sign Hightower this free agency/ trade market was a huge win for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes