PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

J Jones agrees w/ Venecol on BB not relating w/ young generation

Brady didn't seem to love it in Tom vs Time and Gronk was on the verge of tears talking about how tough it was to play here and how it took the fun out of the game and it's why he retired.
Let's be honest, nobody liked it. They dealt with it because of the success. Hell, a lot of them were scared of Bill. Again, I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did. It worked until it didn't. The fans were mainly unaware or didn't care. More stories will come out.

Let's be honest, nobody liked it. They dealt with it because of the success. Hell, a lot of them were scared of Bill. Again, I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did. It worked until it didn't. The fans were mainly unaware or didn't care. More stories will come out.
It lasted as long as it did because of Bill's strict and humble approach and his sheer knowledge.

It lasted as long as it did because of Bill's strict and humble approach and his sheer knowledge.
I don't know about humble considering his hubris is a big reason he's not here anymore.

Fake news
Hiring Patricia for OC and wanting to run it back with him in 2023 is hubris. Bad drafting and "only wanting to coach people he likes" also hubris. "The last 25 years" comment. etc

lots of guys want "players coaches" when they've been under a tougher one. we don't hear complaints from seattle about old ass pete carroll, and he was pretty player friendly...and now unemployed as well. i still think most players want a guy who helps them get better...period. we'll see if this young and mostly inexperienced coaching staff brings results.

The big question: what does "relating" to young players actually mean in the context of a pro football coach? Ca. 2024 I believe it means explaining to them WHY what they're told to do is important and being open to hearing their ideas/input. I think it also means giving positive reinforcement and encouragement vs. browbeating them for screwing up when the effort is there. What it should NOT mean: coddling players, giving star players preferential treatment or tolerating behavior detrimental to the team. Like it or not, a certain degree of individual discipline/conformity is required to succeed in team sports.

IMO, the hardest aspect of coaching is getting the most out of players individually. This requires different approaches to different personality types. But the bottom line is that to become champions, most players will have to be pushed past their comfort level. In that respect, a coach must be both inspirational leader and, when necessary, hard-ass authoritarian.

The latter is where a lot of coaches considered "player friendly" fail. Miami's Mike McDaniel is one to watch going forward: a smart guy who the players like. It didn't take long, though, for the Dolphins to earn a reputation for being "soft" come playoff time under his watch.

Doesn’t every great leader run their course? Eventually, methods that worked, stop. Messages that were heard, no longer have the same affect.

If BB was able to morph/adapt like Andy Reid, maybe he’s still the Patriots’ coach.

Doesn’t every great leader run their course? Eventually, methods that worked, stop. Messages that were heard, no longer have the same affect.

If BB was able to morph/adapt like Andy Reid, maybe he’s still the Patriots’ coach.
Or if BB drafted the next Mahomes (or another future HoF QB).

BB's coaching style didn't spell his demise. His GM style/personnel management (player roster and coaching staff) are what did him in. Reid hasn't changed apart from getting Mahomes.

"The relatability factor may have been a reason why Belichick did not find a head coaching job this cycle, even if it’s hard to deny the results he put forth during his time with New England."

BB's coaching style didn't spell his demise. His GM style/personnel management (player roster and coaching staff) are what did him in. Reid hasn't changed apart from getting Mahomes.
Reid did make one other change, as I believe he also relinquished his desire to be as involved in the personnel department in Kansas City compared to when he was in Philadelphia, which likely helped. Especially given that they've been terrific from a roster-building standpoint since Mahomes has consistently had some pretty good players around him.

Comments:

- Pete Carrol related to the players back in 1997-2000. He even played basketball with guys here. 10-6, 9-7, and 8-8....and off he went to USC to reinvent himself with younger players.

- When BB got here in 2000, he PAID Grey Ruegamer to start a fight because guys were so soft here.

- I don't know about today's generation Z....but these kids are being paid a King's Ransom to play a kid's game like EE said. Do your job is a pretty good motto. It isn't about relating to players on a personal level, it's about getting players ready to play on the field.

- It has been documented that BB purposely avoided getting too close to players because he would need to possibly bench, trade, or release them some day. So, he always kept his distance.

- To BB's credit, he has said that he is HARD TO PLAY for and that the players decide things on the field.

- I mean BB coached LT....c'mon...imagine that....LT was a guy who could get away with things off the field. Parcells and BB just let him do whatever...as long as he showed up on Sundays.

- Also, do ask Jim Brown about what BB has done for the underprivileged.

- Yeah, Gronk was tired of the grind...and pissed that BB almost traded him to Detroit. Many players were pissed at BB over the years...including Vrabel, Milloy, Bledsoe, Armstrong, Samuel, Meyers, etc...etc.... it is what it is.

- At the end of the day, winning masks everything. BB didn't win the last 4 years...and that is why we are here now...not because he couldn't relate to younger kids playing a game for a king's ransom....

Comments:

- Pete Carrol related to the players back in 1997-2000. He even played basketball with guys here. 10-6, 9-7, and 8-8....and off he went to USC to reinvent himself with younger players.

- When BB got here in 2000, he PAID Grey Ruegamer to start a fight because guys were so soft here.

- I don't know about today's generation Z....but these kids are being paid a King's Ransom to play a kid's game like EE said. Do your job is a pretty good motto. It isn't about relating to players on a personal level, it's about getting players ready to play on the field.

- It has been documented that BB purposely avoided getting too close to players because he would need to possibly bench, trade, or release them some day. So, he always kept his distance.

- To BB's credit, he has said that he is HARD TO PLAY for and that the players decide things on the field.

- I mean BB coached LT....c'mon...imagine that....LT was a guy who could get away with things off the field. Parcells and BB just let him do whatever...as long as he showed up on Sundays.

- Yeah, Gronk was tired of the grind...and pissed that BB almost traded him to Detroit. Many players were pissed at BB over the years...including Vrabel, Milloy, Bledsoe, Armstrong, Samuel, Meyers, etc...etc.... it is what it is.

- At the end of the day, winning masks everything. BB didn't win the last 4 years...and that is why we are here now...not because he couldn't relate to younger kids playing a game for a king's ransom....
I feel like the "teaching is teaching" thing Bill has referred to when asked this question is accurate, albeit I feel like it's more of a mental chess game with some of these younger kids to keep them from shutting down compared to years ago. Mayo talked about it and I do believe there's something to it, since it's easy to keep everybody in line when you're winning, but it was probably more difficult to keep things from unraveling when the losing started.

I feel like the "teaching is teaching" thing Bill has referred to when asked this question is accurate, albeit I feel like it's more of a mental chess game with some of these younger kids to keep them from shutting down compared to years ago. Mayo talked about it and I do believe there's something to it, since it's easy to keep everybody in line when you're winning, but it was probably more difficult to keep things from unraveling when the losing started.
as it would be even if mr. relatable took his players to chuck e cheese for their birthdays or whatever the heck they want these days but mr. relatable wasn't helping them win.

Comments:

Why do you think Bill only had one team interview him and all 7 pass on him for HC vacancies?

as it would be even if mr. relatable took his players to chuck e cheese for their birthdays or whatever the heck they want these days but mr. relatable wasn't helping them win.
I hear you, but the issue these days is the kids also shut down when the adults shut down, which essentially cancels that out. Working in various situations and seeing things, it's definitely a different generation, and it requires more work to get the best out of people than it used to. Nowhere near as many self-starters and they don't respond to negative feedback or adversity the way they used to (or the way we did). #GetOffMyLawn

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back