PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

J.J. Taylor - Anyone else impressed by him?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not so sure about that- Taylor runs pretty small and that way evades direct contact. Michel on the other hand still runs too large, and is easily wrapped up. He continually invites contact. Taylor reminds me of Lewis in that both of them have a talent for squeezing through small space.
Well, if you want to use Lewis as an example, he never rushed for more than 64 attempts until NE ran him 180 times in 2017. He immediately fell off a cliff. He's also 2 inches taller and 10 pounds heavier than this guy.

JJ will eventually take Burkhead's carries. Harris wasted his chance but he could eventually displace Michel.

Get him in games when defenses are gassed. Fresh legs vs tired fatties

See what I had to say about JJ "Dyn-o-mite" Taylor in article posted today.

I liked what I saw from him on Sunday. Most explosive of the group and ran the hardest. That's not a good look for Michel and he needs to step his game up. Michel's got a healthy O-line, mobile QB, a decent FB and two new TE's so I don't won't to keep seeing his pedestrian 3.7-4 yards per carry. He should be around 4.5.

Last edited:
I liked what I saw from him on Sunday. Most explosive of the group and ran the hardest. That's not a good luck for Michel and he needs to step his game up. Michel's got a healthy O-line, mobile QB, a decent FB and two new TE's so I don't won't to keep seeing his pedestrian 3.7-4 yards per carry. He should be around 4.5.

All right, I'll play.

112:55110NWE 20Sony Michel left guard for 7 yards (tackle by Jerome Baker)

111:0125NWE 42Sony Michel up the middle for 4 yards (tackle by Andrew Van Ginkel and Jerome Baker)
110:2731NWE 46Sony Michel left guard for 2 yards (tackle by Brandon Jones and Byron Jones)

31NWE 29Sony Michel left tackle for 2 yards (tackle by Elandon Roberts and Jerome Baker)

211:39110MIA 35Sony Michel right guard for 3 yards (tackle by Kyle Van Noy)

313:01110MIA 38Sony Michel up the middle for 5 yards (tackle by Emmanuel Ogbah)

311:0124MIA 18Sony Michel up the middle for 7 yards (tackle by Jerome Baker)

38:42110NWE 21Sony Michel up the middle for 1 yard (tackle by Shaq Lawson)

47:52110MIA 14Sony Michel left guard for 5 yards (tackle by Eric Rowe and Elandon Roberts)

45:2611MIA 1Sony Michel up the middle for 1 yard, touchdown

Other than a single 3rd and 3 carry from Burkhead, Sony got all the short yard carries. That included converting two third-and-one and a goal line carry, all short-yardage, obvious running situations that the defense sold out to stop. He got 5 yards on those 3 carriers. Is that bad? No. It was a success given the situation. They needed to convert, and they did.

On his other 7 carries, he averaged 4.57 yards -- just above your arbitrary line of demarcation. Satisfied? :rolleyes:

Hell yeah. He is from my city.. Go Taylor

All right, I'll play.

112:55110NWE 20Sony Michel left guard for 7 yards (tackle by Jerome Baker)

111:0125NWE 42Sony Michel up the middle for 4 yards (tackle by Andrew Van Ginkel and Jerome Baker)
110:2731NWE 46Sony Michel left guard for 2 yards (tackle by Brandon Jones and Byron Jones)

31NWE 29Sony Michel left tackle for 2 yards (tackle by Elandon Roberts and Jerome Baker)

211:39110MIA 35Sony Michel right guard for 3 yards (tackle by Kyle Van Noy)

313:01110MIA 38Sony Michel up the middle for 5 yards (tackle by Emmanuel Ogbah)

311:0124MIA 18Sony Michel up the middle for 7 yards (tackle by Jerome Baker)

38:42110NWE 21Sony Michel up the middle for 1 yard (tackle by Shaq Lawson)

47:52110MIA 14Sony Michel left guard for 5 yards (tackle by Eric Rowe and Elandon Roberts)

45:2611MIA 1Sony Michel up the middle for 1 yard, touchdown

Other than a single 3rd and 3 carry from Burkhead, Sony got all the short yard carries. That included converting two third-and-one and a goal line carry, all short-yardage, obvious running situations that the defense sold out to stop. He got 5 yards on those 3 carriers. Is that bad? No. It was a success given the situation. They needed to convert, and they did.

On his other 7 carries, he averaged 4.57 yards -- just above your arbitrary line of demarcation. Satisfied? :rolleyes:

Very good points...a little harder to get yards inside. However some of those outside runs from last year...it seemed like it was taking a long time to get around that edge...to long. Most or all of the other RB’s are quicker / faster...better for outside runs.

Sony should pack on 20lb more and work on truckin’ it up the middle.

Based on the idea that an NFL running back is more or less an adult version of the old childhood game of 'kill the man with the ball', I see no problem with multiple productive running backs. The days of the 'feature back' are gone, with just a few exceptions.

I would rather have a solid group of four or five, knowing that at any week of the season that one or two RBs are going to be dinged up to the point of it being counterproductive to play them that day. There is also the advantage of an opponent preparing for running back X, and then the game plan revolves around running back Y or Z instead.

I thought y’all were overstating the decline in Sony’s play. That is not the player from GA. His burst is gone. Whether it is injuries, or whatever, he looks alarmingly slow. With White hurt, Taylor will see more carries than he should. Harris will be an upgrade.

I'm not so sure about that- Taylor runs pretty small and that way evades direct contact. Michel on the other hand still runs too large, and is easily wrapped up. He continually invites contact. Taylor reminds me of Lewis in that both of them have a talent for squeezing through small space.

He’s surprisingly strong. He performed 19 bench presses at the combine, which isn’t bad. Dion had 17, Burkhead 21.

Here‘s what PFF had to say about him:

“Yet another player who isn’t going to do it all in your respective offense, but what Taylor does, he does darn well,” Renner writes. “The 5-foot-5, 185-pounder will be a nightmare for linebackers.

“Whether it’s on swing screens, angle routes or wide runs, trying to get a hand on Taylor in speed is a scary proposition. His lateral agility is silly and he bounces in and out of his cuts with ease. And even if you do catch him cleanly, that doesn’t necessarily mean you’re taking him down.”

OK, we have a backup to White, and a KR. That is excellent for an inexpensive #4 or #5 RB..

Michel and Burkhead are fine as the top alternating pair.

Michel is also our short yardage back.

Jakob is our FB
==============
When Harris comes back, the roles might change a bit, or not. We need all the RB's; one or two will be injured almost always.

I said it when I was watching the game but JJ Taylor reminds me of Maurice Jones-Drew in how he runs. It's excellent to see.

I want to see Taylor get some touches in the passing game today. Really think it would (will) be fun to watch if they can get him the ball in space.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back