PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

J.C. Jackson - "It's time to get Mr. INT paid."

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think this is the teams way of trying to sway the fans into thinking that the T.T. is not a good idea. This is the second time Reiss has implied they won't tag J.C. He has the best inside information of all the writers, and a rep. of being a good source and liked by the fans. I think the Pats have asked him to soften the blow from the fans. I don't think they have any intention of tagging him. I truly hope I'm wrong but I would be more surprised if they tag him.......

So all that said, yeah if there is a story on here tomorrow about paying him $20M APY, 70% of it fully guaranteed,, 5 year deal, sure my eyes will bug out and I'll think we overpaid. But I'll wrap my head around it and move forward. And I won't even be mad, I'll just try to figure out why. (especially when he's covering Diggs) :D
I like Jackson a lot, but not for $70M "fully guaranteed".

Unless a team like the Raiders or Texans value JC and don’t want to compete with other teams for his services.
So I can see one of these Belichick connected teams trading a second to secure his services.
Rest assured the Patriots know if there is a team out there interested in his services.
I would love say a team like the Chiefs offering up Mecole Hardman for JC Jackson.
He’s too valuable a piece to only show up with a third rounder in 2023.
If he's so valuable, why not re-sign him then? He's the top ranked CB in FAcy.

A lot of talk about future caps exploding, so there's certainly room for a high end contract where his big hits come in yrs 2-4.

If you're other teams, wouldn't you wonder why Bill put a 2nd rnd tender on him last season and now wants to T&T him? If Bill doesn't want him, why would any other team give up a pick for him when they can wait Bill out.

One plan would be to extend McCourty, and draft a corner with our first round pick. Alternatively, we could trade for a starting corner.

CB: Mills, Jones, 1st rounder (or traded player)
S: McCourty, Phillips, Duggar

Since Jones was injured last year, we are basically replacing Jackson with Jones and a 1st rounder.
============
I guess the bottom line is that replacing ONE starter isn't a huge deal, especially since we are bringing one back from IR.

A lot of talk about future caps exploding, so there's certainly room for a high end contract where his big hits come in yrs 2-4.

If you're other teams, wouldn't you wonder why Bill put a 2nd rnd tender on him last season and now wants to T&T him? If Bill doesn't want him, why would any other team give up a pick for him when they can wait Bill out.
I don't think that Belichick will do what he did with Thuney. I think that he has an opportunity to sign a couple of players long-term with the $17M, with backloaded contracts in years when there is much more cap space.

Almost any player can be signed for $6M of 2022 cap room, given the right structure. This would presume a $20M bonus on a 4-year contract and a $1M salary. The last 3 years might simply be $22M, $23M and $24M with guarantees. More likely would be a 2023 or 2024 additional bonus.

Last edited:
He wants to go to the open market. However, Jackson stating the Pats don’t want him was dumb. Things were quiet with Thuney only to find out Bill was trying to sign him at the last minute before he signed with KC.
One plan would be to extend McCourty, and draft a corner with our first round pick.
The team would be arguably worse doing this. Not only is he not a guarantee to be any good, but Bill’s drafting of DB’s is not good. Again you’ve wasted high draft capital when other needs like the front 7 haven’t been addressed in 5 years (aside from Judon and Barmore). For the last 5 years we’ve talked about how soft they are stopping the run and can’t pass rush.
I guess the bottom line is that replacing ONE starter isn't a huge deal,
It is when the rest of the DB’s are weak and will be forced to use high draft capital to replace him.

I don't think that Belichick will do what he did with Thuney. I think that he has an opportunity to sign a couple of players long-term with the $17M, with backloaded contracts in years when there is much more cap space.

Almost any player can be signed for $6M of 2022 cap room, given the right structure. This would presume a $20M bonus on a 4-year contract and a $1M salary. The last 3 years might simply be $22M, $23M and $24M with guarantees. More likely would be a 2023 or 2024 additional bonus.
A $20M bonus out of $75M + another $25M in guarantees following same pattern from last season:

$75M for 4 yrs ($18.75 apy)
$20M signing bonus
$45M guaranteed (60%)
2022: $1M + $5M bonus: $6M cap
2023: $17M + $5M bonus: $22M cap
2024: $18M + $5M bonus: $23M cap
2025: $19M + $5M bonus: $24M cap

That's doable.

You are correct, but stats are for losers.

JC is good. Very good.

But he is not as good as Law or Gilmore.

Bill will pay JC if he is, so let's see.
ROFLMAO. No. Stats aren't for losers when it comes to contract negotiations. But I'm not surprised that you wouldn't understand that.
JC is more than "very good". He's been a top 10 Corner for at least the last 2 years. Even GILMORE had bad games for the Pats after his initial season. Let's stop pretending he didn't.

He wants to go to the open market. However, Jackson stating the Pats don’t want him was dumb. Things were quiet with Thuney only to find out Bill was trying to sign him at the last minute before he signed with KC.

The team would be arguably worse doing this. Not only is he not a guarantee to be any good, but Bill’s drafting of DB’s is not good. Again you’ve wasted high draft capital when other needs like the front 7 haven’t been addressed in 5 years (aside from Judon and Barmore). For the last 5 years we’ve talked about how soft they are stopping the run and can’t pass rush.

It is when the rest of the DB’s are weak and will be forced to use high draft capital to replace him.
McCourty is almost certainly good enough to be part of a 3-man safety group. Not re-signing him is NOT better. We would then need to move Mills or Jones to free safety. of course, you may believe that we could get a better player than McCourty for the money we would pay him.
======
The issue is at corner. Pay Jackson $17.2M for one year is certainly a solution for 2022. I would argue that we still would need a top draft choice or a trade of a top draft choice to get a top corner.

Whine about Bill-drafted corners if you wish. The best corners are drafting the first round. Also, a 5-year (first round corner) is one of the best cap bargains in the NFL (2md only to QB's).

Changing the argument doesn't help. I agree that 2 of our top 3 draft choices should be used on the defensive front seven. We can see on Draft Day whether there is a greater talent different between 1st and 2nd round DT's compared to 1st and 2nd round corners.

I think that we've tried the exercise before, haven't we? Isn't the value of 1st round corners higher than DT's compared to 2nd rounders? Obviously, we are only concerned with the bottom half of these rounds, but the analysis is probably the same for the first half of the round.

Bill's drafting history of DB's is poor, but his ability to find DB's as UDFAs is stellar. If the Pats do not resign Jackson, they should still target the front 7 with their first and second day picks and find other ways to fill out the secondary.

I think this is the teams way of trying to sway the fans into thinking that the T.T. is not a good idea. This is the second time Reiss has implied they won't tag J.C. He has the best inside information of all the writers, and a rep. of being a good source and liked by the fans. I think the Pats have asked him to soften the blow from the fans. I don't think they have any intention of tagging him. I truly hope I'm wrong but I would be more surprised if they tag him.......
Reiss is giving his opinion without the benefit of any inside information. That much is clear from the article. Otherwise, he's have said "sources". When Reiss has relied on his opinion in past years, he's almost always been wrong.

One plan would be to extend McCourty, and draft a corner with our first round pick. Alternatively, we could trade for a starting corner.

CB: Mills, Jones, 1st rounder (or traded player)
S: McCourty, Phillips, Duggar

Since Jones was injured last year, we are basically replacing Jackson with Jones and a 1st rounder.
============
I guess the bottom line is that replacing ONE starter isn't a huge deal, especially since we are bringing one back from IR.
In an ideal world, we would have JC at one corner and either draft a cb in round 1 or bring in a corner via free agency and have Mills as sort of a "Jack of all trades".

Bill's drafting history of DB's is poor, but his ability to find DB's as UDFAs is stellar. If the Pats do not resign Jackson, they should still target the front 7 with their first and second day picks and find other ways to fill out the secondary.
He's also done really well with db's as undrafted free agents.

what might be more telling is that after a good year in 2020 not a single team made a pitch to grab him for that 2nd round pick. Not one! Now JC had a very similar year in 2021, what will be the market for him? The stats say he's a top 5 CB, yet the "league view" of him is something less than an elite CB. I'd like someone to break down WHY there is this disparity.

what might be more telling is that after a good year in 2020 not a single team made a pitch to grab him for that 2nd round pick. Not one! Now JC had a very similar year in 2021, what will be the market for him? The stats say he's a top 5 CB, yet the "league view" of him is something less than an elite CB. I'd like someone to break down WHY there is this disparity.

This year he was the #1 CB all year. Last year he was the #2 CB for most of it. The perception of him prior to this year was he was an elite #2 CB, but not really a guy you could have as your #1 CB being on the best receiver. Whether it is true or not, the perception by many after this year is that he is a top #1 CB. Some might even say he is an elite #1 CB. If he was a restricted free agent this year with a second round tender, I am betting he would get at least one or two contract offers by other teams that the Pats could have chose to match or not.

Where do you get that the "league view" of Jackson is "something less than elite"? You're making an assumption as to what the league view is with nothing really to account for it other than no one trying to give him an offer when he was RFA Tagged as a 2nd round pick.

What's a more likely scenario? That other teams knew the Patriots would match any offer that Jackson would have received or that the Patriots would have taken the 2nd round pick? I think it's much more the FORMER than the latter. Especially if you look at the Pats situation last year. They had MORE than enough money to match whatever offer Jackson might have received. The Pats also were also going to be without Gilmore for at least a few games making it that much more likely they'd match an offer on Jackson. So, why would teams waste time negotiating with Jackson if they knew the Pats would just match the offer?

You're going to have to guarantee between 60-70 Million for Jackson on a deal because that's the going rate now for CBs. Thinking they'll be able to get Jackson to accept less is a fairy tale.

ROFLMAO. No. Stats aren't for losers when it comes to contract negotiations. But I'm not surprised that you wouldn't understand that.
JC is more than "very good". He's been a top 10 Corner for at least the last 2 years. Even GILMORE had bad games for the Pats after his initial season. Let's stop pretending he didn't.

OK rephrased - Paying a player based on stats is for losers.

Of course Gilmore had bad games. But he came up big when it counted. Gilmore had freakish abilities.

JC has been a top 10 corner. He deserves to be paid as such, not as a future DPOY shutdown corner like Gilmore was.

It's not a knock to JC that he doesn't have Gilmore level ability.

I mean, that's a whole lot and a whole lot fully guaranteed. I doubt it's quite THAT. But you get the idea. We might be the ones faced with two choices: Unprecedented market-setting money... or he walks. He's got an argument to be among the elite at the position, he's at the outset of a well-funded cap year, and so on.

So we like to do stuff like say "what if we could get him for not much guaranteed and give him an inventive laden deal with a hometown discount, that is what I would do," you know, cut the deal with our own fantasies.

On the other hand, sometimes there is sudden unpredictable low-end deals. I never claim to get what goes into it. I just think he's looking for top shelf money, and it's top shelf going into a player's market.

shrug. By the same token, maybe we'll open up the paper and see that we had to fully guarantee 30 or 40%, he somehow cost $15m apy, and he's okay with a "renegotiate if you decline" clause which I've never heard of existing but he would get it just to make the deal palateable for the board. I mean, I totally don't know what will happen. I just know what everything I see implies will be the ask, and it seems like everything I see suggests the ask will be up there.

History makes me think we're not okay with it being up there. Sigh.

On the other other other hand, maybe Kraft's "new approach" goes beyond just the draft. And to clarify, I don't know whether I'd think of that as good or bad. I'm just watching the facts gather.

You're going to have to guarantee between 60-70 Million for Jackson on a deal because that's the going rate now for CBs. Thinking they'll be able to get Jackson to accept less is a fairy tale.
If by "they" you mean the patriots, there is no need to worry. The patriots would have no interest. The first step is the franchise decision. I expcect that he won't be franchised. If his agent were to give the patriots a courtesy call saying that he was offered $60M-$70M, the response would be clear. Congratulations!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe