PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Isn't it time we talk about the weather?

Status
Not open for further replies.

patfanken

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I've read where there is a possibility that Saturday's game could be played under severe weather, and weather can be a great leveler in any football game.

If I'm the Titans I'm thrilled with the prospect of playing the Pats under severe weather conditions. The best part of the Titans offense is their OL going against the weakest part of the Pats defense. And while Brady might be the best bad weather QB in league history, it still affects affects his game, as well as having even more of an affect on the rest of his skill players.

A more hidden effect would be to greatly mitigate the home field advantage. If the weather is bad enough, there will be fans who won't go, and those who do will be more concerned with dealing with the weather, than being loud. It is hard to be loud, when you are battling the elements and for those red seat ****ies, its hard to loud when youi are inside.

I would still expect the Pats to win, but the weather will likely make the game much closer that it would have been under ideal conditions. I'd be nervous if I had a lot of money on this game given the weather forecast.

Looks like it might be in the teens with the rain happening earlier in the day. Perfect football weather.

Don't get me wrong but once we start to dig as deep as looking at the weather for reasons why a game might be competitive it really just goes to show that this is a mismatch.

That being said I think no matter what but Boston weather in January will never be an advantage for a team from Tennessee.

load the box because they won't be able to pass. Brady still will have all options available to him because his mechanics are more accurate in adverse conditions.

Edit: More accurate than others. Obviously, everyone's accuracy goes down in adverse weather. Just that Brady is less affected.

Last edited:
Latest forecasts are dry and mild. Doesn't look like a weather game.

Weather in Boston - AccuWeather Forecast for MA 02108

Just remember that "cloudy with a few flurries" was the forecast for the night of the Snow Bowl against the Raiders; the amount of snow that actually fell was unexpected.....

Edit -- ah, my problem is that the link goes to Saturday January 20, which wouldn't really be any game as the AFC title game would be on the 21st. This link for Saturday night January 13 lines up with what you were saying:
Weather in Boston - AccuWeather Forecast for MA 02108

I've been watching the weather models for the last few days, looks like the rain is gone with temps dropping at game time, should be 30s.

Looks like it might be in the teens with the rain happening earlier in the day. Perfect football weather.

low 30's at game time but the rain is supposed to be over

it is 3 days away, however

Gonna be pouring all ****ing day, then it's gonna drop to below freezing....after the game everyone who's schitfaced is gonna be falling all over the place on the ice...and some sober folks too...

Gonna be pouring all ****ing day, then it's gonna drop to below freezing....after the game everyone who's schitfaced is gonna be falling all over the place on the ice...and some sober folks too...

Great night for drunk drivers.

Great night for drunk drivers.

Lol. Reminds of when we were walking out after the 2008 AFCCG against the Chargers. There were two state troopers on horseback. One turned to the other and said: "Ok, let's get out of the way and let all the drunk drivers through."

"Everybody talks about the weather, but nobody does anything about it." - Mark Twain

There is no indication of "severe weather" coming Saturday. It will actually be quite mild in the afternoon, but temperatures will plunge to the 20's during the game. Light rain expected in the morning should dissipate by kickoff.

Brady is by every objective measure the best bad weather QB ever so if anything it would help the Pats.

I've read where there is a possibility that Saturday's game could be played under severe weather, and weather can be a great leveler in any football game.

If I'm the Titans I'm thrilled with the prospect of playing the Pats under severe weather conditions. The best part of the Titans offense is their OL going against the weakest part of the Pats defense. And while Brady might be the best bad weather QB in league history, it still affects affects his game, as well as having even more of an affect on the rest of his skill players.

A more hidden effect would be to greatly mitigate the home field advantage. If the weather is bad enough, there will be fans who won't go, and those who do will be more concerned with dealing with the weather, than being loud. It is hard to be loud, when you are battling the elements and for those red seat ****ies, its hard to loud when youi are inside.

I would still expect the Pats to win, but the weather will likely make the game much closer that it would have been under ideal conditions. I'd be nervous if I had a lot of money on this game given the weather forecast.

So, you think Mariota and Fumbles Henry on the road are more primed to handle the weather than the Pats?

Couldn't disagree more.

The other thing is, Tenn's pass D is weak, where their run D is their strength. They're dead last defending in RBs out of the backfield. And, as we knows, as a defender with questionable footing, advantage Pats offense.

So, it's going to be lone setbacks or split sets (hopefully), as i've wanted for years and years, tossing swing passes to RBs all night long until they can stop it.

They'll try to play man like Pitt does, it won't be enough, so delayed draws will come in handy to any of the 3 (Lewis, Burkhead, White).

Let them double Cooks, maul Gronk (been happening all year as a strategy that has been allowed, started by KC and Beery in Week 1, which is 1 reason why red zone offense is down), and then get to playaction on draws, shredding them over the middle with Hogan/Amendola.

I think you're over-analyzing and just looking for an excuse to make it seem like the Pats aren't overmatching them.

This has no bearing on what happens on the field, I am just talking about on paper.

Last edited:
From the NOAA Weather Service, looks like a mixed bag of weather, put my money on #12 and his experience this time of year...

Last 5 games for KC: Az, SF, LA Rams, Jacksonville and KC (weather clear in high 20's)...

From NOAA Taunton...

Saturday:Rain and possibly a thunderstorm before 1pm, then a chance of drizzle, mainly after 5pm. Some of the storms could produce heavy rainfall. Areas of fog. High near 52. Southwest wind 9 to 15 mph becoming north in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 31 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%.

Saturday Night:A chance of snow, freezing drizzle, and sleet before midnight, then a slight chance of snow between midnight and 3am. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 21. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

Actually they are talking about the possibility of a flash freeze Saturday night. Impact may be much higher on folks trying to get home than on the game itself.

Marcus Mariota was born raised in Hawaii. He played at mild weather Oregon With all the luxuries Nike can afford.
Last week in Kansas City was his first taste of cold weather with something on the line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes