PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is Trey Lance worth Patriots to trade up to get?

I think SF is taking Vance, leaving Fields and Jones, and whoever picks the next QB (Denver?) is likely to take Fields. Jones could be the only realistic option we'll have, and there is a chance BB trades up to 10 or 11 to get him, for a 3rd and/or 4th.

schefter says San Fran going with Jones.

if that happens, I think Atlanta takes lance!

No. It is 5 examples going back to 40 years ago
I stopped at 5, just picked some of the very best quarterbacks to make my point that. But hey ets just say we agree to disagree..

My top quarterbacks in order are Lawrence, Jones, Wilson, Lance, Fields. Not a Fields fan. Hope the 49ers draft him.

I stopped at 5, just picked some of the very best quarterbacks to make my point that. But hey ets just say we agree to disagree..
Of course we disagree because you are endorsing a plan where about 1 out of 50 work out. It’s actually a prayer rather than a plan.

Super Bowl winning starting quarterbacks

2020 - Tom Brady (6th rd, 199 ovr, FA signing for TB)
2019 - Patrick Mahomes (1st rd, 10 ovr)
2018 - Tom Brady
2017 - Nick Foles (3rd rd, 88 ovr, re-signed as FA for PHI)
2016 - Tom Brady
2015 - Peyton Manning (1st rd, 1 ovr, traded to DEN)
2014 - Tom Brady
2013 - Russell Wilson (3rd rd, 75 ovr)
2012 - Joe Flacco (1st rd, 18 ovr)
2011 - Eli Manning (1st rd, 1 ovr, traded to NYG draft day)
2010 - Aaron Rodgers (1st rd, 24 ovr)
2009 - Drew Brees (2nd rd, 32 ovr, FA signing for NO)
2008 - Ben Roethlisberger (1st rd, 11 ovr)
2007 - Eli Manning
2006 - Peyton Manning
2005 - Ben Roethlisberger
2004 - Tom Brady
2003 - Tom Brady
2002 - Brad Johnson (9th rd, 227 ovr, FA signing for TB)
2001 - Tom Brady
2000 - Trent Dilfer (1st rd, 6 ovr, FA signing for BAL)

Just an exercise to show where they were drafted. Not exactly sure it proves anything but I just wanted to see how it looked. Out of 21, 10 of them were 1st round draft choices, and Brady and Johnson the only ones taken super late in their respective drafts.

Also it was just an excuse for me to admire how many times Brady appears on the list. :)
Nice work...

If Lynch & Shanny do us a favor and choose Fields, then I'm Definitely Not calling Atlanta, Cinci or Miami...I might even hang up on Detroit if they insist on multiple 1st/2nd-round picks...Chicago & Washington are still too far away to be able to make an offer we couldn't match, so we need to practice patience here...
the smart move is for Atlanta to take pitts.
So we can almost count on them taking a qb!

They should take Pitts. Just hope the niners don’t take Jones and go with Fields. Fields will have a second workout with them attending. I think jones is the second best QB in draft even ahead of wilson who has a great arm. I have him 3rd.

Cousins, I have to agree with Fred. As much as I like about the "coolness" factor of BB moving up in the Draft to get this kid, he is a "definite maybe" as a pro. He has been compared to McNair, but what if he is Dwayne Haskins Tim Tebow. Think Akili Snith of the Bengals, He had a small sample size in college (one full season), but he was athletic and considered a two-sport star (he was a blue-chip baseball prospect too). All that athleticism, however, was teamed with a terrible ability to mentally prepare and grasp a playbook. What if he is just a Jacoby Brissett? Do we throw picks to move up to get him, another Jacoby?......nyet!
Would I complain......? No, because you want to see a Pats prospect flourish. Than again I think of Justin Fields and as much as everyone tries to convince me, there has NEVER been an Ohio State QB that has been successful other than Tom Tupa who was our punter for some years. Dwayne Haskins puts up the stop sign for me.
Funny I would take either of them if we Drafted them. There is a reason. The Offense is set up for Cam. These two are similar and Josh doen't have to change the offense M.O.

If we stay at #15 and get a Parsons , he will make a bigger impact now than say thre years or even two as a gestation time for those QBs,

Now my plan is QB Davis Mills and Simi Fehoko as a pair in round two and three. Mills arm strength is probabbaly better than Jones and he ran the 40 at 4.59 so he is an athlete. Both of these kids are way under the radar. Mills was rated as a top QB in high scholl but knee problems sat him on the back burner. He has command of the huddle.

If our fIrst three rounds were:
Parsons
Mills
Fehoko

AND NO SURRENDERED PICKS..........,would you complain?
DW Toys
I know you just do this for fun when the draft rolls around but the OSU-QB thing sounds so weak at this point. It's a just a tell that someone didn't watch Fields. I would find another talking point with respect lol.

It's also a weak talking point bc most QB's are going to fail. So the whole don't draft WR from USC or QB from OSU is just nonsense. Plus Fields & Haskins ran two different systems or were asked to do two different things. That's evident if you watched them.

Again though it's just a useless talking point cuz. I know you do this for fun but some stuff on here the past few days (not you but Clemson offense > OSU offense) , don't draft OSU QB (lol you :) I have to put on my cape and set you guys straight.

Wyoming isn't a better QB school than OSU bc Josh Allen has had more recent success. Not how it works amigo.

Had some blueberry pancakes, smoked bacon, potatoes today. Nice cold tall glass of OJ to wash it down.

I know you just do this for fun when the draft rolls around but the OSU-QB thing sounds so weak at this point. It's a just a tell that someone didn't watch Fields. I would find another talking point with respect lol.

It's also a weak talking point bc most QB's are going to fail. So the whole don't draft WR from USC or QB from OSU is just nonsense. Plus Fields & Haskins ran two different systems or were asked to do two different things. That's evident if you watched them.

Again though it's just a useless talking point cuz. I know you do this for fun but some stuff on here the past few days (not you but Clemson offense > OSU offense) , don't draft OSU QB (lol you :) I have to put on my cape and set you guys straight.

Wyoming isn't a better QB school than OSU bc Josh Allen has had more recent success. Not how it works amigo.

Had some blueberry pancakes, smoked bacon, potatoes today. Nice cold tall glass of OJ to wash it down.

You think Fields is better than jones. I wasn’t a fan of jones but i am now. I just like his game. Pocket presence accuracy. I think he’s better than fields and lance.

Of course we disagree because you are endorsing a plan where about 1 out of 50 work out. It’s actually a prayer rather than a plan
Look at Landsdowne posting, he spent way more time on it that I did, more than just 5 that I mentioned and all more recent. 1 in 50, huh... crazy math....

Look at Landsdowne posting, he spent way more time on it that I did, more than just 5 that I mentioned and all more recent. 1 in 50, huh... crazy math....
One in 50 QBs picked after the first round turn out to be anything.
Brady is the anomaly. Aside from him it’s first rounder or rare chance.
If you honestly think the fortunes of a franchise boon if they get a Brad Johnson or nick foles I don’t know what to tell you.
Look at my post the last 49 QBs drafted after round 1 have 1 combined playoff win.

In the last 6 drafts 49 QBs have been taken outside of round 1. They have won a combined 1 playoff game.
In the last 8 drafts there were 73 and they combined to win 3 playoff games.
Since Russell Wilson 9 years ago there hasn’t been a QBs drafted after round 1 that has accomplished anything of note. Out of 73.

I could entertain a trade up in the 7-8 range for Lance or Jones. If we’re not able to move up and all 5 are gone target Mond day 2.

One in 50 QBs picked after the first round turn out to be anything.
Brady is the anomaly. Aside from him it’s first rounder or rare chance.
If you honestly think the fortunes of a franchise boon if they get a Brad Johnson or nick foles I don’t know what to tell you.
Look at my post the last 49 QBs drafted after round 1 have 1 combined playoff win.

Meh some of these guys go to awful franchises. Darnold never had a chance. I don’t know if wilson will have one as well if he lands with the green beans.

Super Bowl winning starting quarterbacks

2020 - Tom Brady (6th rd, 199 ovr, FA signing for TB)
2019 - Patrick Mahomes (1st rd, 10 ovr)
2018 - Tom Brady
2017 - Nick Foles (3rd rd, 88 ovr, re-signed as FA for PHI)
2016 - Tom Brady
2015 - Peyton Manning (1st rd, 1 ovr, traded to DEN)
2014 - Tom Brady
2013 - Russell Wilson (3rd rd, 75 ovr)
2012 - Joe Flacco (1st rd, 18 ovr)
2011 - Eli Manning (1st rd, 1 ovr, traded to NYG draft day)
2010 - Aaron Rodgers (1st rd, 24 ovr)
2009 - Drew Brees (2nd rd, 32 ovr, FA signing for NO)
2008 - Ben Roethlisberger (1st rd, 11 ovr)
2007 - Eli Manning
2006 - Peyton Manning
2005 - Ben Roethlisberger
2004 - Tom Brady
2003 - Tom Brady
2002 - Brad Johnson (9th rd, 227 ovr, FA signing for TB)
2001 - Tom Brady
2000 - Trent Dilfer (1st rd, 6 ovr, FA signing for BAL)

Just an exercise to show where they were drafted. Not exactly sure it proves anything but I just wanted to see how it looked. Out of 21, 10 of them were 1st round draft choices, and Brady and Johnson the only ones taken super late in their respective drafts.

Also it was just an excuse for me to admire how many times Brady appears on the list. :)
Super Bowl winning QB's all time per round.

1st round: 30 (this includes Steve Young)

2nd round: 3

3rd round: 7

4th round: 1

5th round: 0

6th round: 8

7th round: 0

8th round: 0

9th round: 2

10th round: 2

11th-16th round: 0

17th round: 2

undrafted: 1

The first round has 30 and the only other rounds above 5 are the 3rd and 6th where you have Brady and Montana who are outliers that boost those rounds.

Super Bowl winning QB's all time per round.

1st round: 30 (this includes Steve Young)

2nd round: 3

3rd round: 7

4th round: 1

5th round: 0

6th round: 8

7th round: 0

8th round: 0

9th round: 2

10th round: 2

11th-16th round: 0

17th round: 2

undrafted: 1

The first round has 30 and the only other rounds above 5 are the 3rd and 6th where you have Brady and Montana who are outliers that boost those rounds.
And the one undrafted is Kurt Warner, wow, I actually didn’t know he was the only one to do it

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back