PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is Newhouse the worst tackle you have seen play for this team?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Is Newhouse the worst tackle you have seen play for this team?

• Yes

Votes: 36 45.0%
  • Yes

Votes: 7 8.8%
  • Ray Lewis killed a man

Votes: 37 46.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry but Newhouse looks like a walking disaster. After 3seconds when Brady was hit or sacked Newhouse was still unaware what had happened.
So if he is so terrible, how bad is Korey Cunningham? How bad are Tyler Gauthier and Najee Toran?

So if he is so terrible, how bad is Korey Cunningham? How bad are Tyler Gauthier and Najee Toran?
Probably they are even worse than Newhouse but it does not change the fact NFL is not a Sunday school and he does not deserve to be a starter.

"deserve to be a starter"

Perhaps Newhouse deserves to be a starter more than anyone else that was available to us. There are other teams more desperate than we are for an OT. Besides, we have one coming back, so that the critical need is only for a few weeks. Dante made the decision very early that Newhouse was to be the starter until Wynn came back.
====
Folks ask whether it would be better to risk the rest of Brady's career by using Cunningham or a Practice Squad player from another team (the 4th or 5th OT on that team). Dante and Belichick have answered "no". I have no basis to disagree. Was it truly worth a 1st or 2nd for an injured OT from another team, who would be ready and playing for only a few weeks until Wynn returns.

Probably they are even worse than Newhouse but it does not change the fact NFL is not a Sunday school and he does not deserve to be a starter.

Hold my beer.

michael-strahan-of-the-new-york-giants-puts-a-block-on-nick-kaczur-of-picture-id458807414

I don’t think you’re acknowledging how much of a disaster the offensive line talent is around the NFL. There are worse tackles starting for other teams right now. Until Okung came back a couple weeks ago, the Chargers had both of their starting tackles playing worse than Newhouse. A few weeks ago, Dan freaking Skipper was deemed to be the best available practice squad option. It’s bad out there. The Patriots aren’t alone, and they’re not getting the worst of it.
I can’t imagine there’s too many left tackles that started 7 games that have given up more than 25 pressures.

Just find it hard to believe why we are in such a mess at LT.....ok nobody could foresee what happened to Wynn and the Andrew's impact but why such poor depth ?

That's an impossible question for me to answer. He certainly doesn't look very effective from the games I have watched on TV, but I haven't looked at the film. And honestly, even if I did, I'm not qualified to pass judgment on NFL players. I'll leave that to the coaching staff.

INTERIOR OL
Let's deal with Andrews first. Karras is a reasonable backup. We carry 8 or 9 OL's. The "plan" was Froholdt and Karras as backup interior OL's. Our starters were Thuney, Andrews and Mason. For me, this was a fine "plan". Even now, I think that the interior OL will be fine when Mason is healthy.

When Andrews was injured, Belichick used a 4th to secure Eluemunor, who has had a difficult time learning. However, the patriot offense is very difficult. We have had to have Ferentz active because he can call plays if Karras is injured. I also note that Eluemunor might compete for the squad in 2020; he is an RFA.

Belichick even tried to find a center to replace Ferentz as a backup. Bodine didn't work out.

The BOTTOM LINE is that I think that Belichick has been doing fine dealing with the injuries on the interior OL.
======
OT's
OT is another story entirely. We knew that Wynn was coming back from an injury and that Cannon has an injury history. TO ME, and to many others, we needed to have a swing OT that was able to start on either side. Also, we need a 4th OT in case of injuries (this OT could be on the Practice Squad).

We didn't secure a Waddle replacement. Our 4th OT was Skipper and others, none of whom will contribute. Our current players are Newhouse and Cunningham. We have often gone with a street free agent at OG; LT is NOT the position to have a street free agent.

FOR ME, a swing OT is an important position. Belichick has always thought so. We should have had a solid swing OT win the original 53, and then again by the trade deadline. And yes, this swing tackle might have cost a 3rd, or even more if he wasn't in his contract year.

BOTTOM LINE
It is NOT second guessing to suggest that a swing OT is a critical position and should be filled by someone that we would be comfortable starting for us. I guess a parallel on defense would be a #3 S or a #4 corner.

Just find it hard to believe why we are in such a mess at LT.....ok nobody could foresee what happened to Wynn and the Andrew's impact but why such poor depth ?

Last edited:
He is off the street and playing ahead of Eluemenor who we gave up a 4th rounder for (got back a 6th). How bad must this guy be? The losses at OL, TE and FB are a huge hole that Wynn alone, even if he exceeds all expectations, cannot fill. On a brighter note, the pass blocking and run blocking both improved last night (33% pressures, 4.4 ypc). Izzo didn’t play so he, LaCosse, Harry and Wynn could all help. I just don’t know how much they’ll get from this offense without a lot of beef or speed.
I mean Izzo will make us worse, not better:

Mgteich...thanks for that , I agree but could not begin to explain so clearly , I hope next season does not find us in a similar position

INTERIOR OL
Let's deal with Andrews first. Karras is a reasonable backup. We carry 8 or 9 OL's. The "plan" was Froholdt and Karras as backup interior OL's. Our starters were Thuney, Andrews and Mason. For me, this was a fine "plan". Even now, I think that the interior OL will be fine when Mason is healthy.

When Andrews was injured, Belichick used a 4th to secure Eluemunor, who has had a difficult time learning. However, the patriot offense is very difficult. We have had to have Ferentz active because he can call plays if Karras is injured. I also note that Eluemunor might compete for the squad in 2020; he is an RFA.

Belichick even tried to find a center to replace Ferentz as a backup. Bodine didn't work out.

The BOTTOM LINE is that I think that Belichick has been doing fine dealing with the injuries on the interior OL.
======
OT's
OT is another story entirely. We knew that Wynn was coming back from an injury and that Cannon has an injury history. TO ME, and to many others, we needed to have a swing OT that was able to start on either side. Also, we need a 4th OT in case of injuries (this OT could be on the Practice Squad).

We didn't secure a Waddle replacement. Our 4th OT was Skipper and others, none of whom will contribute. Our current players are Newhouse and Cunningham. We have often gone with a street free agent at OG; LT is NOT the position to have a street free agent.

FOR ME, a swing OT is an important position. Belichick has always thought so. We should have had a solid swing OT win the original 53, and then again by the trade deadline. And yes, this swing tackle might have cost a 3rd, or even more if he wasn't in his contract year.

BOTTOM LINE
It is NOT second guessing to suggest that a swing OT is a critical position and should be filled by someone that we would be comfortable starting for us. I guess a parallel on defense would be a #3 S or a #4 corner.

We had a competent swing tackle. He retired in training camp. Too late to find someone else. Our other interior lineman also decided to hang it up. They screwed the team over.

Why is a retirement in Training Camp the end. Belichick found players at other positions. Wasn't this a matter of resources? For example, in Training camp, could we have gotten a swing OT for a 2nd round draft choice?

We had a competent swing tackle. He retired in training camp. Too late to find someone else. Our other interior lineman also decided to hang it up. They screwed the team over.

For example, in Training camp, could we have gotten a swing OT for a 2nd round draft choice?
Well we’ve been talking about this for months now and nobody suggested anything that made a whole lot of sense for both teams, so I’m going to guess no.

I don’t think most are complaining about him, like as a person or even a player given the context how he ended up with his current role, and certainly not with his effort. How the team/BB ended up in the situation where this was their best available option, and the primary plan was apparently depending on a rookie who was IR’d last year and coming off a torn Achilles, is I think quite a head scratcher.

They’ve obviously had many success stories in similar situations over the years - letting a pricier veteran go and filling the spot with a rookie or outcast from elsewhere. This is one of those times that concept failed miserably, to this point anyway. 8-1 is still 8-1 and I believe they can forge and offensive identity from what they’ve got on hand, but losing Andrews and this LT problem, along with the TE issues, are making that more difficult than usual. I don’t think it’s for lack of effort, and no one is expecting elite, but he’s barely competent and it’s a real problem.

I cannot disagree with much of what you say here.

Why is a retirement in Training Camp the end. Belichick found players at other positions. Wasn't this a matter of resources? For example, in Training camp, could we have gotten a swing OT for a 2nd round draft choice?

There aren't 64 quality tackles in the league now. Teams that have good ones aren't going to give them away. The only ones I even heard that might be moved were Vaitai on the Eagles and Trent Williams on the last day before the trade deadline.

We spent high draft picks on Antonio Garcia and some guy named Cajuste....

Where are they?

I was just about to say this- the guy actually gave up just one sack and the torches and pitchforks crowd comes out.

I keep saying this but the guy is not that athletic, otherwise he wouldn't be sitting on the streets, but he does put in the work and is very diligent. I haven't seen him continuously make the same mistake.

INTERIOR OL

BOTTOM LINE

They signed Veldheer and he retired after one OTA. They then traded for Cunningham and Eluemenor, who can supposedly play tackle in s pinch. Not sure there were any good cheap tackles out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes