PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is Cordarrelle Patterson the new Cat in town???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think when that's brought up, in general it's short hand for, "He can't run the pass routes the Patriots (and Brady) like to use as their bread and butter." Meaning complicated option routes and pre-snap mind-meld level adjustments. He also has a reputation for rounding out his routes, which (in a timing based offense) can mean the difference between a ball between the screws and one that's thrown out in front of him, where Brady expects him to be.

Time will tell how much of that he can incorporate into his game with proper coaching, but it's not just that he can't run routes, it's that he has to run route trees he hasn't been asked to do before, at a level of consistency high enough for Brady to continue to trust him. I'm optimistic, but that's where the concerns come from, if I understand.

Good post . Option routes short hand for mind reading.. aka Brady always right. Defenses are kinda good at disguising coverages so my point is ... Simplify. Go route vs. back shoulder. Quick screen vs . Pump fake it and go. Quick outs. Give the guy 5-6 high percentage plays and get him the ball. Let Edelman and Hogan be your option mind reader guys . IMO. :cool:

Lol every year we get someone and we hype him up on this board. I hate to be the party pooper but if this guy eclipses the 300 yards he had last season i would be ecstatic. Maybe we can get that special teams magic.
Patterson was a first team all-pro in 2013 and 2016 and a second team all-pro in 2015. He has been a play maker in this league for a number of years.

As several posters have already mentioned, the creativity of coaches will bring out the best of Cordarrelle Patterson. I like that.

IMHO, Dorsett and Patterson are good enough to match the "usual" production of our #3 and #4 WR's, and to substitute for Edelman and/or Hogan when they are out.

This works because we have Gronk and at least good receiving RB's.

As has been pointed out, the #4 WR doesn't have much of a role unless someone is injured. When we line up with 4 or 5 wides, Gronk and a RB are almost always included,

I think there's a chance that Patterson could contribute in a traditional role, once Edelman is back and assuming everyone is healthy. I think Edelman and Gronk pull special assignments from the D, and guys like Hogan, Dorsett, and White (or RB du jour) will get higher consideration. Patterson should get guys further down the depth chart when everyone is available.

Until Edelman comes back though, they'll need to find creative ways to get him the ball in space.
Here’s the thing. A pass offense is designed, ideally, to get receivers open simply by play call and route combination.
This is wh any competent qb completes 60-70% of his passes and an even higher rate, like 75-80% on the short throws that are open due to scheme.

Last year Danny Amendola played 568 snaps and had 86 targets. One every 6.6 snaps.
Philip Dorsett played 377 snaps and had 18 targets. One every 20.9.

Why?
This is where you have to understand the passing game, route combinations and progressions.
Dorsett was rarely the first second or even third progression.
He ran the routes that worked in combination with the other routes to pull another receiver open. He was never looked at on mistbifcthe plays.
Amendola, not to whistle past the grave because a huge value he provided was after a play broke down, was the guy running the route designed to be open a lot of the times and was the first read.
A simple analogy is if you run a pick play and Dorsett sets the pick the ball is going to Amendola and Dorsett has no chance to be the target. Route combinations work similarly but not as obviously. Dorsetts speed was definitely a factor in his ability to draw coverage with him as a decoy.

Patterson can actually fill each of those roles. He certainly has the size and speed to work in the decoy role. And he is a very exciting prospect to run the route that are designed to get open in short distance where he can run after the catch.
I would estimate and someone can correct me if I am wrong that more than half of Amendolas targets were one cut routes, playing off a route combination within 5 yards of the LOS, including WR screens.

I liked some of the quickness (and lateral quickness) I saw from him. Hope the magic comes together and we could use him, Gronk and Edleman to attack the short/mid level zones.

He has the size. speed, agility, and hands to beat single coverage and make a catch even when "covered".

That's a different skill set than the other WRs, and I think that Bill, Josh, and TB12 will find some way to use it. I'm not predicting greatness, but I predict higher levels of production than he has displayed in the past. A plenty serviceable 3/4 WR.

He will be better than everyone thinks. Just watch.

Patterson has not replaced Amendola’s production per sources.

I’m fine with having the guy btw, just not as our third receiver.

I was excited a few weeks ago. Not so much at this time.

To be fair...outside of a drop in Jacksonville, Patteson has been making plays when called upon. I see him open a lot underneath during games...either he's running the wrong route or Brady doesn't have time to go thru his read progression far enough....

He still has value as a kr. In the games where we play half decent and he takes a return back to around midfield or even better can make a real impact in a tight game.

To be fair...outside of a drop in Jacksonville, Patteson has been making plays when called upon. I see him open a lot underneath during games...either he's running the wrong route or Brady doesn't have time to go thru his read progression far enough....

They should really use him more since Hogan and Dorsett aren’t consistently getting open. At least use him for the long balls.

He has the size. speed, agility, and hands to beat single coverage and make a catch even when "covered".

That's a different skill set than the other WRs, and I think that Bill, Josh, and TB12 will find some way to use it. I'm not predicting greatness, but I predict higher levels of production than he has displayed in the past. A plenty serviceable 3/4 WR.

Damn. After 3 games I sure got that wrong. Can he ever "get it"?

You have plenty of company. It is only a few games, but it has been an emotional rollercoaster. But things can change. I wasn't disappointed with Hogan last year when he was surrounded by competent WRs. When Edelman and (knocks on coffee table) Gordon are playing, it could be very different for Hogan, CP and Dorsett (if they're still here). Among the many failings, this is the easiest for me to imagine improvement.

He does get open though. It’ll be nice if he was the earlier reads. Only thing they really use him for screens or options, with his talent I’d thought Josh would be more creative, but these last few games have been so predictable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes