PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is Belichick essentially our GM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom meets Kaepernick

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
I had a discussion with several idiotic fans that seem to think that Belichick does not operate as general manager of the Patriots. He has final say over all football operations, correct?

Yup.

Belichick is like the Supreme Dictator of the Patriots Way Theocracy, who just has to sometimes get the blessing of our Pope (Kraft).

With Belichick being what he is (an actual football genius, and probably the only one in the NFL), it's really the only system that would work for us. Can you imagine some dip **** telling Belichamp who is going to be on his team and/or trading away his guys?

Belichick constructs the entire team.

Caserio's title is "Director of Player Personnel".

archie-bunker.jpg

I had a discussion with several idiotic fans that seem to think that Belichick does not operate as general manager of the Patriots. He has final say over all football operations, correct?

I don't know why you bothered having a "discussion." If they don't know that basic fact, they're probably not worth discussing anything with.

BB is the GM, but my guess is behind closed doors there are a more folks involved.. Caserio and his staff, Mike Lombardi, even Ernie Adams.. but what is really good is they seem to all work together to field this team. The Kraft family keeps its distance.. if there disagreements they occur behind closed doors.

If things do not work out, BB never throws anyone under the bus..

Compare to the Grigson/Irsay meltdown for the whole team to see after the Colts lost again...

Last edited:

They may be right. Depends on what your definition of GM is.

For example, with the Red Sox Mike Hazen is the GM. He oversees the day to day of the farm system, MLB team, coaches, roster management, contracts, free agents, draft, etc.

Dave Dombrowski is President of Baseball Operations. To me, that means two things. One, he defines overall philosophy and sets strategic direction of the organization. Two, he has final say of everything with ownership approving the big ticket deals.

IMO, Caserio is the GM and BB is President of Football Ops.

Um, yes, since Pioli left.

Well, when Pioli left they essentially split the duties in two between Caserio and Floyd Reese. When Reese left after the 2012 season, Caserio basically became the "GM".

Lombardi's role is really intriguing. I get the sense that BB interfaces with Lombardi to work with football ops on various things. Personnel, scouting, etc.

Most of the staff are BB protégés, so I'm sure they all know what BB wants and is looking for. So his influence is felt throughout the organization. I'm sure everyone has their imput as to roster moves, but needless to say nobody overrules BB in any decision.

Kraft learned his lesson quickly and let's the football people make the football decisions. Kraft ( more and more its Jonathan) of course have the final say on the finances, but other than that, BB.

Chris Simms and Adam Lefkoe argue that the Patriots have three of the top 10 general managers in football right now (Nick Casserio, Mike Lombardi, and none other than the Hoodie himself)

BB is the GM, but my guess is behind closed doors there are a more folks involved.. Caserio and his staff, Mike Lombardi, even Ernie Adams.. but what is really good is they seem to all work together to field this team. The Kraft family keeps its distance.. if there disagreements they occur behind closed doors.

If things do not work out, BB never throws anyone under the bus..

Compare to the Grigson/Irsay meltdown for the whole team to see after the Colts lost again...

BB technically has the final say, but my understanding is (A) Kraft has veto power on any contracts and on all trades, and (B) Kraft will sometimes insist on meeting with players when he has reservations (e.g., I know he insisted on meeting with Moss before approving that trade).

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes