PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

is Aqib Talib the dirtiest player in nfl history?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recognize my bias is because of the Stanley Morgan hit, but the fact he felt no remorse over it just made him a complete ******* in my book.

I agree that his lack of remorse tells you more then you want to know about him.

all im saying is im starting to rethink my feeling on when welker layed him out in the afccg

But it should also be remembered that back then players took care of a lot of things themselves. They essentially self regulated a lot of things that now they expect the refs to take care of. You didn't ***** to a ref if he missed something, you or your teamates took care of it, and when it was done, y9u moved on. Not many grudges were held, it was just part of the game. There is a lot to be said about players..."self-regulating".

Please explain this to the NHL. They sure aren't listening to me about it.

Please explain this to the NHL. They sure aren't listening to me about it.
God, tell me that isn't the truth. The leagues all seem to be trying to take the reason people watch contact sports. Hockey is without question the best game to watch in person for a spectator....or at least it was. I don't know what it is now, mostly because I haven't sat down and watched a full game in years. I still root for the Bruins and hope they do well, but its from afar.

I didn't know you were a hockey fan DI.

God, tell me that isn't the truth. The leagues all seem to be trying to take the reason people watch contact sports. Hockey is without question the best game to watch in person for a spectator....or at least it was. I don't know what it is now, mostly because I haven't sat down and watched a full game in years. I still root for the Bruins and hope they do well, but its from afar.

They put in the instigator penalty a long time ago, and that's really hampered the fighting/enforcement, with the resultant increase in dangerous hits and stick work without retribution. Now, they're pretty much trying to get rid of fighting entirely, in favor of a bunch of administrative geeks doling out fines.

I'd rather have take a few shots in a fight than have some asshats in a front office taking away my hard earned money and, while I'm sure they exist, I've never spoken to a single player, or former player, who felt differently.

I didn't know you were a hockey fan DI.

Absolutely. As a sport for the players, from top of the roster to the bottom, it's the best sport to play, IMO, and there's not even a close second.

I admittedly don't watch Talib closely, but while I might call Talibs play unsportsmanlike at times, I've never even thought of him in the same career-ending dirty category as Ward or Pollard or Suh.

They put in the instigator penalty a long time ago, and that's really hampered the fighting/enforcement, with the resultant increase in dangerous hits and stick work without retribution. Now, they're pretty much trying to get rid of fighting entirely, in favor of a bunch of administrative geeks doling out fines.
Yeah I remember that, and your right about the how the dirty and dangerous play got worse. There is a reason for hockey fights. They are like a valve to let off steam.

I wonder though if the reason fights became less tolerable is because the players got bigger. The reason why hockey fights were so effective was that it was rare when someone got more than bruises for his effort. Hard to throw a good punch on ice. Now day with 6'5 guys becoming more common, Chara, with his leverage might really hurt someone. Just a thought.

I'd rather have take a few shots in a fight than have some asshats in a front office taking away my hard earned money and, while I'm sure they exist, I've never spoken to a single player, or former player, who felt differently.
I played some intramural hockey in college between Football and LaCrosse. And there is something about having a stick in your hand that makes you want to hit someone. Granted as someone who identifies as a LB, I might have that predeliction to begin with, but I played various levels of club lacrosse for almost 30 years after college and god help me, when you started to whack at the attackman's gloves, something comes over you that was different from footbal. When I first started playing sticks were just the wood and mesh ones. As a defenseman we often ranked how well we did by how many sticks we broke. ;) I felt the same way playing hockey, though not nearly as good.

Absolutely. As a sport for the players, from top of the roster to the bottom, it's the best sport to play, IMO, and there's not even a close second.
I question just a bit, in favor of football, simply because I love that game because it allows the kid who might not be a good enough athlete to play hockey or basketball, to find a place to succeed on the football field. I went a LOT further in football than I ever could have in any of the other sports I played and for that I am forever grateful.

Have you ever tried Lacrosse? I had never seen a game before college when a fraternity brother of mine told me we had a game where you can hit anyone within 5 yds of the ball.....and we give you a STICK too. I was sold. It was only later I found you couldn't hit them in the head with the stick. I was disappointed for a while. ;) Fasted sport on 2 feet. It combines contact with speed, skill and grace, and a ton of scoring....and did I mention the contact. ;) If you couldn't tell I was a defenseman.'

The unfortunate thing about football (or maybe the fortunate thing about football) you can't play it long, at least the contact game. Lacrosse allowed me to continue to get my competition and contact fix well past when I should have stopped

Did you play hockey?

I'm going to break up your post a bit, just to keep things a bit more tidy.

I wonder though if the reason fights became less tolerable is because the players got bigger.

Hockey decided that it wanted to go more mainstream, and more commercial. Casual viewers didn't understand the fighting, and the NHL decided that making more money was of higher importance than the actual game itself.

That, coupled with a bunch of clowns who never played the game but thought they knew better than those who had, led to the ridiculous ratcheting up of penalties for "starting" a fight.

I question just a bit, in favor of football, simply because I love that game because it allows the kid who might not be a good enough athlete to play hockey or basketball, to find a place to succeed on the football field. I went a LOT further in football than I ever could have in any of the other sports I played and for that I am forever grateful.

In hockey, every player (as a general rule), except the backup goalie, plays. If you're good enough to make the team, you're getting on the ice. That's a little bit different in the NHL, but that's because teams are allowed to carry a couple of injury replacement players. To me, that sets hockey apart.

Have you ever tried Lacrosse? I had never seen a game before college when a fraternity brother of mine told me we had a game where you can hit anyone within 5 yds of the ball.....and we give you a STICK too. I was sold. It was only later I found you couldn't hit them in the head with the stick. I was disappointed for a while. ;) Fasted sport on 2 feet. It combines contact with speed, skill and grace, and a ton of scoring....and did I mention the contact. ;) If you couldn't tell I was a defenseman.'

Yeah. I never got into it, though. As a hockey goalie that the lacrosse coach wanted to get into the lacrosse net, I just couldn't wrap my brain around the idea of facing a bunch of idiots chucking a ball at me, while I had almost nothing to keep me from looking like Tina Turner after every game.

The unfortunate thing about football (or maybe the fortunate thing about football) you can't play it long, at least the contact game. Lacrosse allowed me to continue to get my competition and contact fix well past when I should have stopped

Did you play hockey?

I played until an injury (from playing flag football, of all things) put an end to it.

But it should also be remembered that back then players took care of a lot of things themselves. They essentially self regulated a lot of things that now they expect the refs to take care of. You didn't ***** to a ref if he missed something, you or your teamates took care of it, and when it was done, y9u moved on. Not many grudges were held, it was just part of the game. There is a lot to be said about players..."self-regulating".

"Not many grudges were held, ...."

???? That's not my memory. Pro Hockey was a soap opera of ongoing grudges.

Last edited:
NFL History??

Guys, football has been played a really long time. There is no chance in Hell that Talib is the dirtiest.

Suh over him...but it's close

"The shootings", lol. How many onfield shootings was he involved with that need to be taken into account to determine his status as a dirty player? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes