PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is anyone still worried about the Bills?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, this game against the Bills that season better explains "beating the crap" out of a team, which is what the Patriots did that day in Buffalo:

Ian,I take my hat off to you. You have a helluva lot more patience than I.
I only got a couple hours sleep and then up at 5am to work today,so I was in no mood to explain Football 101 to Green Cow. But still, you made the effort and then some. Part of what makes this the best nfl forum in the country. Hell the world for that matter.

LOL, I read some of the points and was just like...seriously?

Then I looked at his age and it made sense. I barely remember a lot of 20-years ago, but I remember the highlights and that game was certainly one of them. It wasn't perfect, but that team won most of their games from being the more physical and mentally tough clubs. That doesn't always show up on the stat sheet, but it definitely tends to show up in the win column :cool:

The 2001 patriots defense were ranked 24th in yards given up that year, thats one of the worst in the league in that category. So going purely off yards one would think most of the teams ‘ran all over us’ despite us winning 14 of 19 games ( and all playoff games). They were the classic bend but don’t break defense, give you some yards but make you pay for them.
To your point, they were also 6th in points per game allowed (17) and 8th in passes defended (tied with Denver with 87), along with being 6th in interceptions (also tied with Denver with 22). Not bad for a group that even now - other than fans who remember that season - doesn't get as much credit as they probably should for what they accomplished.

Last edited:
Don’t forget in the game in Buffalo last year, it came down to a field goal in the fourth quarter. And the Pats are significantly better than last year and the Bills are slightly worse than last year. Plus the Bills are 3-3 over the last six games. Doesn’t mean the Pats will win, but I like their chances.

LOL, I read some of the points and was just like...seriously?

Then I looked at his age and it made sense. I barely remember a lot of 20-years ago, but I remember the highlights and that game was certainly one of them. It wasn't perfect, but that team won most of their games from being the more physical and mentally tough clubs. That doesn't always show up on the stat sheet, but it definitely tends to show up in the win column :cool:
I think its one of the most overlooked factors by people who dont really understand the game.
Like boxing,its a physical collision sport and the more physical team wins most of the time. When youre pounding a team all game long- whether thats by controlling the trenches, running it down their throats or doing what the Pats did to the 2001 Rams rbs and wrs- hit them on every play whether they get the ball or not - it takes a toll on the opposition. Its why time of possession is usually a big deal. Thats what the Pats did to Atlanta- just dominated TOP so their D was absolutely gassed in the 4th qtr. Yes it was the sheer brilliance of TB12 but the Pats having a big TOP advantage also played a big role.
Its funny Ive studied every Pats SB win and they were the more physical team in every one of the 6. Not necessarily in the 3 losses.

You can put up a lot of yards and still lose. Not sure if you're aware of this or not, but the Rams were only in the red zone once in that game. That's not an accident. Again, I know you were too young to really catch all the little nuances surrounding that game, so I'd suggest rewatching it if you're going to keep going down this road.

I hope you realize that I can watch the game at any age. It’s right there online. I didn’t just watch it at 13.

I’ve said it before, but I’ll say it once more in case anyone missed it;

When I think of a team beating the crap out of another team, I think of a game that’s 35 to 3 and the team winning has more yards, more first downs, more third-down conversions, more sacks etc. That’s a crap beating.

If the way you think of “beating the crap out of a team“ is barely winning the game but you were the more physical team, then yes I suppose the patriots beat the crap out of the Rams.

Also, this game against the Bills that season better explains "beating the crap" out of a team, which is what the Patriots did that day in Buffalo:

That game makes more sense to say that phrase with. The Patriots won the game by double digits and won many stat categories too.

It wasn’t a 3 point win decided at the very last second in a game where the opponent had over 400 yards of offense and won nearly every statistical indicator.

Appreciate the trip down memory lane, but I think those of us who experienced that entire season live know what went down a bit better ;)

I experienced it live as well. I was 13, not 3.

The fact that you’re a fan of the team makes your memory even more sensitive to enhanced particulars that didn’t happen.

it’s like the parent who thinks their kid never does anything wrong. They’re not trying to not understand, their brain just doesn’t let me them see the truth.

The fact that you’re a fan of the team makes your memory even more sensitive to enhanced particulars that didn’t happen.

it’s like the parent who thinks their kid never does anything wrong. They’re not trying to not understand, their brain just doesn’t let me them see the truth.
Let me help here. Beating the crap out of someone means physically beating them up. That is what we are all referencing here.. Probably a few too many head to tables for you to grasp that. We all understand the score was close and we didn't "destroy then" or "win in a blowout" we physically "beat the crap out of them. The Patriots usually like playing a physical style of football, and especially now that many teams are built as finesse teams, the Patriots and a few other teams end up causing those finesse teams problems. The Chiefs and Chargers come to mind as teams that can struggle with more of a smash mouth game. We will find out more of where the Bills fall in Monday night, but I will say, that bad weather conditions often dont favor finesse type teams.

To your point, they were also 6th in points per game allowed (17) and 8th in passes defended (tied with Denver with 87), along with being 6th in interceptions (also tied with Denver with 22). Not bad for a group that even now - other than fans who remember that season - doesn't get as much credit as they probably should for what they accomplished.
IIRC they were Top 3 in RZ defense as well. BB defense - slug it out between the 20's, shut it down in the red zone.

Dood, your team has sucked for ever. They have never won the superbowl and are a mocking stock in the league for blowing all the chances you did have. You did pretty well last year, but, you still didn't win anything. COme here and talk with the grownups when you guys actually win something. Until them you just seem like a loser.

No you didn’t beat the crap out of them.

They beat you in literally every statistic except for turnovers (which is obviously big).

Rams we’re in Patriots territory 3 times in the first quarter alone. They missed a field goal too.
Crazy how they still go by the score to determine the winner of the game.

Last edited:

The Pats beat them up all over the field. If it were a boxing match they would have won 11 rounds to 1. That's how most people including NFL analysts saw it. We're not delusional parents.

I don't care how many times you've said it. You don't understand it.

Dismissing the ability to force turnovers and categorizing them as casual accidents is a joke.

That is a major part of the game and outplaying your opponent mentally and physically.
Yup the Patriots are accidentally +213 in turnovers in the last 20 years

Reactions: Ian
I hope you realize that I can watch the game at any age. It’s right there online. I didn’t just watch it at 13.

I’ve said it before, but I’ll say it once more in case anyone missed it;

When I think of a team beating the crap out of another team, I think of a game that’s 35 to 3 and the team winning has more yards, more first downs, more third-down conversions, more sacks etc. That’s a crap beating.

If the way you think of “beating the crap out of a team“ is barely winning the game but you were the more physical team, then yes I suppose the patriots beat the crap out of the Rams.
Just listen to Marshall Faulk talk about how he could barely see straight by the end of the game because they hit him so much and so hard. That's beating the crap out of a team

I just woke up from a coma last year. It's a long story. I was going through some box scores and noticed we kicked the crap out of Atlanta in the Super Bowl several years ago. Wow. 200 more total yards, 17 minutes more time of possession, big penalty difference, 3rd down conversions. Everything shows me what was likely a boring game.

Should I bother to go back and watch the game? I find blowouts boring.

1638657874969.png

LOL, I watched the Bills and Washington Super Bowl when I was your age, but I didn't follow every week that season - or that game - as intently as you and your dad/family members did. Pretty sure you both can tell me more intricate details about that game and that season than I would be able to figure out just looking at the stat sheet, despite the fact that I watched the game.

Needless to say, the point I'm making is our perspectives are completely different. And you're already probably figuring out that at your age now, your perspective in terms of how you view the game now is different from when you were 13. I was in my mid-twenties when that game happened and I was also writing all season about the team that year.

So yes, I do have a different view and perspective of the team that season than you do. So do the vast majority of the people here, who also watched it all unfold week in, and week out. And yes, they do know a little more about that game and that season than you do :cool:

And believe me, my understanding is better than yours. They were more physical and kicked the **** out of the Rams in that game, forced turnovers, and that's how they won. If you don't want to see that, it's cool. The ring - and banner - isn't going anywhere. ;)

Last edited:
The Pats beat them up all over the field. If it were a boxing match they would have won 11 rounds to 1. That's how most people including NFL analysts saw it. We're not delusional parents.
It was Mike Tyson/Buster Douglas all over again.

Thru 7, Douglas pounded on Tyson relentlessly gashing Tyson's left eye but Mike was still standing.

Tyson showed some life in the 8th round and knocked Buster down. He got up obviously.

Douglas knocked him out in the 10th.

SB36 flowed the same way.

Beat them up so bad that they gained over 400 yards and it took a last second FG to win.

That’s such a butt whipping.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST