PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Interesting Matchup - Stephon Gilmore vs. Alshon Jeffrey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chris, you lose all credibility when you have the hubris to make the above statement. This is the kind of 'connect the random dot' thinking I would expect of Felger or every BSPN mediot (except Bruschi).

What in the wide world of sports allows to think BB has conceded ANYTHING to any player, let alone Stephon Gilmore.

The cold hard facts are that the way the rules are set up, man to man coverage is about the ONLY way teams can think to stop today's complex passing offenses on a consistent basis. Zone D's have their place, but GOOD QB's will eventually figure them out. Just look at the last 2 weeks.

BTW- If you want to get a good break down of the Jags game, Matt Chatham's latest was excellent. He thought the Pats had openings earlier in the game to put up points but it was THEIR poor execution that killed drives, NOT the great Jags Defense. I think its called "football for football podcast"

Just my opinion...I have absolutely no idea why that would be "hubris" to see zone coverage and freelancing in Sept by Gilmore with the worst secondary play in BB's history and me seeing it.

And, then a 180 where it's like 90% man coverage now, or at least it feels like it's all man most of the time, which actually cost us last week on the swing passes into the flat, where the D locks in since OCt 1, leading the NFl in points allowed, at one point going 8 games before injuries, allowing 11.87 pts per game. That's not an accident, dude.

It's also easier to stop the run in zone, especially on the edges, which is why I've kept talking about the ability to use some 3-4, isolate a team's run game a la 2004, and how BB used to do it then, get up 7-0, and the ball game is over in the first qtr.

Basically, we got "out-coordinatored" in that 1st half on Sunday, or BB was purposely holding out for what he REALLY wanted in the second half. Not sure that makes sense on offense, but it might make sense on D, when he maybe knew Bortles and their offense is too simple, so saving their real scheme for the 2nd half would dismantle it. Because it makes no sense to be in man, when that Grant guy came on the field, where it was obviosu he's their edge speed guy as a scatback, where the CBs are playing man, being gobbled up by blockers.

We're using a 4-3 base, generally speaking, Jean-Francois is starting over Branch as a 4-3 player, which is clearly a BB conscious decision there.

But my opinions based on what I've seen, how it has unfolded, is not "hubris". It's a simple opinion.

All the reports on Gilmore out of Buffalo is that he is inconsistent in zone, and a lot of high priced CBs have big egos thinking man is some badge of honor and zone is some disease they don't want. Revis did the same thing. Jets never played zone. When Revis was her ein i2014, BB did the same thing, with Browner too. Browner also played man in Seattle, mostly. Seattle plays that traditional Cover 2 where the CBs play man and the LBs play zone.

When did you ever see Revis drop into a zone here? See? BB alters his schemes all the time to the skill sets he has in his players. He's been doing this for over 15 years.

Samuel, same deal, he hated zone in 2006. He was jumping routes left and right in man, and looking for a new payday based off INTs. So, BB wasn't willing to pa a guy 12 mil per back in 2007, if the guy was hellbent on trying to jump routes and shy away from tackling.

Butler could be struggling this year for the same reason. Also, Butler is better in zone than he is in man, for just simple physical make up reasons alone. This is also why it was crazy of him to turn down 8 mil per and why BB paid Gilmore 14 mil per, locked in this year and next. He wants size and man options if he needs it, and he's got it. And, I love Butler. Big heart, and an overachiever, and now everyone is bagging on him for "trailing" crossin routers, where it's impossible to cover in this era, with all the rules favoring offenses,

If you feel a drag route is coming, obviously zone is the call there.

Also, I know for a fact the stories about Ty Law wanting man coverage against Marvin Harrison and him lobbying for it and BB granting it to him. So, me knowing things by either reading or hearing them by trusted sources or simply former players telling stories, that's not "hubris".

So, yes, I've seen a ton of man coverage this year, since Sept, and Gilmore has been very good overall ever since.

It's also why Patricia screwed up on that drag route from Smith-Schuster, when the call clearly should have been a prevent zone of sorts, showing the middle of the field, flushing all movement inside, to try to tackle the Steelers receivers in bounds.

Why one earth was that man coverage in such an obvious zone choice?

Lastly, please don't compare me to Felger and Mazz. I have forgotten more about this sport, than those two turds could ever dream of knowing. According to them, there is no salary cap, and the Pats are cheap, love the "art of a deal", just because, etc, etc. BB is so far ahead of them, they're jealous of his IQ. At least I get what BB does and why he does it.

They verbally attacked Jon Kraft in October of 2011, literally saying, "why don't you build your team like the Jets!?"I turned it off and have no tuned in since, other than when I don't know what time it is, step awayt from my desk and come back with them on by accident after listening to Gresh/Zo.

PS Chatham is superb.

Last edited:
Doesn't matter - we win. ;)

Gonna defend the championship. This is so rare too

I think we will see quite a bit of Eric Rowe on Zach Ertz in this game, maybe even in press coverage to slow him off the line. Ertz is their go to guy and I see BB taking him away. I agree with a previous poster that Agholor is their most dangerous receiver. He is having a superb season and gets good separation. Gilmore on Jeffery is a good matchup. Butler will probably take whoever is lined up wide opposite Jeffery which will mean some Agholor and some Smith.

The Eagles will get yards. If the defense can come out fast, unlike SB 51, they should do a good job against these guys. The Falcons had a superior receiver group last February.

I think Foles is not that good. I just watched the 15-10 Falcons game and was unimpressed. We know that defense, and Foles struggled seeing coverages and got spooked in the pocket by unbalanced fronts. The Falcons did a good job setting the edge and keeping him under control. They also popped Ajayi on every play no matter where he was.

EDIT: This video really shows some of the incredible attributes that made BB want to open up the wallet for this guy. The question remains will he ever put it all together for the long haul. He certainly turned things around on the back nine this season (sans Pittsburgh), but I think it still remains to be seen what he can truly become . . . another off season in the program should do wonders.

That would be a good match up if.....Foles can maintain in the pocket coz he goin to run for his life getting chase by Trey and my new friend James Harisson:)

Their WRs should be manageable for our secondary, otherwise we are in trouble because that's not even the most challenging match up defensively. It will be Ertz and the other TEs, and potentially more doses of Corey Clement with him trying to stretch our defense horizontally against our LBs.

Their WRs should be manageable for our secondary, otherwise we are in trouble because that's not even the most challenging match up defensively. It will be Ertz and the other TEs, and potentially more doses of Corey Clement with him trying to stretch our defense horizontally against our LBs.

maybe im crazy...I dont worry too much about Chung vs. Ertz. Chung has been one of the best in coverage against tight ends this season.

he effectively shut down Delanie walker in the Titans game. and walker is a pro-bowl tight end.

Hopefully chung can keep up this level of play in the super bowl.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST