PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Interesting Matchup - Stephon Gilmore vs. Alshon Jeffrey

Status
Not open for further replies.

TommyD4207

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
Not only will this likely be a key matchup in the Super Bowl, and we'll likely see it a lot (Gilmore matched on Jeffrey) - but these two were also college teammates for four years at South Carolina, likely matched up on each other in practice every day as well.

I have no idea what their previous meetings were like in the NFL, but this one just sort of struck me this morning, that there might be a lot more to it than the usual #1CB/#1WR natchup.

Last edited:
I like this match up for the Patriots. Gilmore was brought in to match up with the big WR’s but I don’t think it’s possible for any CB to match up with guys like Moss and Jones, who are not only 6’4 + but also run 4.4 or better 40’s. Jeffery has the size, 6’3. 218 but he’s a 4.5 40 guy, and probably slower than that at this point in his career. I think Gilmore will do a really good job on him and an interception from him is a strong likelihood.

I'm interested in this matchup too. Jeffrey is big and physical but like the OP said, lacks some speed. I think Gilmore has a good chance to keep him quiet in this game. I just don't want us to give up any big plays, as I feel they may take some shots down the field.

Does that mean Butler covers Torrey Smith or Agholor?

I'm interested in this matchup too. Jeffrey is big and physical but like the OP said, lacks some speed. I think Gilmore has a good chance to keep him quiet in this game. I just don't want us to give up any big plays, as I feel they may take some shots down the field.

Be nice to have Jonathan Jones

I’d put him on agholor. He is also dangerous so I’d think butler draws that one

One things for certain Eagles WR's including Jeffrey and Smith won't be as open as they were against those pitiful Vikings. :rolleyes:

wouldn't be surprised to see Rowe on Jeffrey with Butler on Agholor and Gilmore on Smith when those 3 receivers are on the field.

Having Jones would have helped with Agholor but such is life in the NFL. As it stands I would go with Gilmore on Jeffery, Butler on Agholor, and Rowe on Smith with some safety help over the top, which is pretty much standard for how they manage deep threats. Overall I really like their match ups in the secondary. I don’t believe Foles will have the space he needs to be effective downfield and I’m really confident they will pick him off at least once, but I would bet even more. They should use Chung on Ertz, and I would expect a strong showing from him as well. My biggest concern is Ajayi outside, as that, at least to me, has been their biggest weakness all season. They need to be really aware of this area and gang tackle him whenever he’s got the ball. They have had stretches where they were really good at this, but have tackled terribly at other times. However I’m guessing that this will be Belichick’s biggest focus in stressing their responsibilities on defense. If they have a really good game in terms of this then I expect a really good game defensively, if not they will be in some real trouble. I have no worries about Foles burning them with his legs, it won’t happen, and if he’s the real Nick Foles then the Eagles are screwed. I’m sure Ernie Adams has been going over just how to make Foles the 34 passer rating he truly is with a fine tooth comb, and I expect his performance to be much more like his first few games than it was the cakewalk against Minnesota, who simply played their worst game of the season.

Not only will this likely be a key matchup in the Super Bowl, and we'll likely see it a lot (Gilmore matched on Jeffrey) - but these two were also college teammates for four years at South Carolina, likely matched up on each other in practice every day as well.

I have no idea what their previous meetings were like in the NFL, but this one just sort of struck me this morning, that there might be a lot more to it than the usual #1CB/#1WR natchup.

There was only one potential previous meeting between Jeffery and Gilmore in the NFL - when the Bears hosted the Bills for their 2014 home opener. Gilmore was inactive for that game with a groin injury.

Cutler went 34/49, 349 yds .. 2TD/2 INT/2 sacks

Martellus Bennett caught 8/10 for 70 yds and a TD and drew a 28-yd DPI
Brandon Marshall caught 8/12 for 71 yds and a TD, but lost a fumble
Matt Forte caught 8/9 for 87 yds, and rushed 17/82 yds

Jeffery caught 5/6 for 71 yds (with a long reception of 44 yds)
... he caught 4/4 on short range tgts for 27 yds; 1/2 deep left for 44
... his 44-yarder happened late in Q1 and setup Bennett's 12-yd TD catch on the next play
... Jeffery played 49% of the snaps and wasn't targeted after the third play of the Bears drive that opened Q3 (so he may have gotten injured)

Anyway, CHI lost, 20-23 to the Bills in OT.

Robbie Gould had tied the game at 20-all on a 37-yd FG with 30 seconds left in regulation. After winning the coin toss for the first possession in OT, CHI went 3-and-out. Then, EJ Manuel (!) drove the Bills 69 yds to a 27-yd game-winning FG by Dan Carpenter.

Interesting. I'd rather see Rowe on Jeffery, with Harmon help in a bracketed man situation. Jeffrey is a bit overrated. He's sort of like a Mike Wallace, with less speed, but more physicality. I just think that can be bracketed, and within that, if you';re using 2 guys, you take the less talented CB to do it.

Gilmore is our best man guy, so IMO he needs to go on Agolohor, since that guy, IMO, is their best WR.

Butler on Torrey Smith. Smith is much older now, but he can be sneaky, so that is still a tough assignment for Butler.

Just my .02.

Marquis Flowers as a spy on Corey Clement (Or Ajayi, or even Blount if they do threw to them). Every team seems to have these really nice specialty backs. I mean, we have seen so many of these guys pop up recently. We have 2 of em, but other teams just have the 1, and they're good players. Oakland has Richard, SD has their guy (forget his name), Jax had their guy last week, where I felt Patricia/BB were super late to adjust and over-analyzed the idea we needed to stop the run (very true), but the value of Roberts was superior to Flowers. I just didn't agree with that and I think the results in the first half, showed that.

I get the logic, but I did disagree with it. I think you need to be more concerned about hving your fastest LB playing that McClellin role in the flat, because as good as Van Noy has been, Flowers is faster than he is.

And, Roberts in no way, has the range of a Flowers.

AS longs as Butler doesnt cover Smith who is still very fast. I dont want to see Butler trailing Smith by 6 yds on every crosser like he normally does with every other Wr.

AS longs as Butler doesnt cover Smith who is still very fast. I dont want to see Butler trailing Smith by 6 yds on every crosser like he normally does with every other Wr.

Umm, who do you want on Smith? Jonathan Jones is done for the year.

Smith is not that fast anymore. He's crafty and runs good routes, but Butler on Smith is an obvious win.

I don't want Rowe on Smith and Gilmore is a complete waste on Smith.

Umm, who do you want on Smith? Jonathan Jones is done for the year.

Smith is not that fast anymore. He's crafty and runs good routes, but Butler on Smith is an obvious win.

I don't want Rowe on Smith and Gilmore is a complete waste on Smith.

Smith ran a 4.35 and has only been in the league 6 years he cant be to far off from that mark he is by far their fastest WR. Typically that would not draw Butler. Butler ran a 4.6.

Smith is not crafty by any definition of the word he is just a deep threat and always has been a 1 trick pony. Agholor is a 4.45 guy and a slot guy so I see Butler on him and Rowe on Smith.

Also depends on BBs view of Ertz. He may view him as their most dangerous guy its close between him and Jeffery. All the Wrs from Philly are in the 50 to 60 rec area so its hard to determine who is viewed as the biggest threat. FWIW Jeffry had most targets by alot but Ertz more catches on fewer targets.

To me how we cover these guys is going to be very interesting aspect of the game and if we have to change it or not.

Smith ran a 4.35 and has only been in the league 6 years he cant be to far off from that mark he is by far their fastest WR. Typically that would not draw Butler. Butler ran a 4.6.

Smith is not crafty by any definition of the word he is just a deep threat and always has been a 1 trick pony. Agholor is a 4.45 guy and a slot guy so I see Butler on him and Rowe on Smith.

Also depends on BBs view of Ertz. He may view him as their most dangerous guy its close between him and Jeffery. All the Wrs from Philly are in the 50 to 60 rec area so its hard to determine who is viewed as the biggest threat. FWIW Jeffry had most targets by alot but Ertz more catches on fewer targets.

To me how we cover these guys is going to be very interesting aspect of the game and if we have to change it or not.

Chung on Ertz in man. I am not sure I care what Smith's Combine 40 was. Probably the most irrelevant stat possible on SB Sunday, and I can guarantee you it's not the same as it was 6 years ago, so I am not sure why that would even be something to mention.

Size-wise, it's clear where Gilmore and Rowe need to be, and that leaves Butler on Smith.

Do you honestly think Smith has bounced around from Baltimore to SF to Philly because people see him as an elite WR?

So, you want the slower Rowe doing it? Or, Gilmore? Gilmore isn't that good on crossing routes. He's much better on the perimeter and he's going to have his hands full with Agoholor.

Butler has the better twitch on crossing routes over Gilmore and especially, Rowe.

Jeffrey is more of a one trick pony, but his size and athleticism will need some help from Harmon on top. That should eliminate deep balls.

Bracket Jeffrey w/ Gilmore & S. Butler on Agholor. Rowe on Smith. Chung Ertz.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back