PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Intentional Grounding Rule

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we're going to nitpick the intentional grounding then why not discuss Edward's TD when he pushed Dennard in the back and Dennard got called for the PI

As should be obvious, I wasn't nitpicking the calls. I thought both were good calls.

I wrote about intentional grounding as a rue in general. For the first couple of pages, people answered in that spirit.

I thought the calls were correct. I was just mentioning there is too much judgment involved however for this rule to stand as is.

As should be obvious, I wasn't nitpicking the calls. I thought both were good calls.

I wrote about intentional grounding as a rue in general. For the first couple of pages, people answered in that spirit.

I thought the calls were correct. I was just mentioning there is too much judgment involved however for this rule to stand as is.

I agree on the judgement calls. There is absolutely 0 consistency between refs and even between games. I can't tell you how frustrating 2007 was in judgement calls against the Pats and then went Brady went down in 2008 it was like all the refs felt bad for us so they didn't call any penalties and we end up setting the record for the least amount ever.

the problem was with Josh. You call a play with one, maybe two options. If neither option is available, the decision is easy. Throw it away after only running a 3 second play. and when I say throw it away, I dont mean intentional grounding. Anyhow, Brady was looking around at several receivers. Not the right call given the clock.

That is ridiculous. There is no play call that makes grounding more or less likely. Brady should have thrown over the head of a receiver, or better yet, and their feet, instead of to an open spot on the field.

I get the intentional grounding and can live with it. I do not understand the rule where they run the time off of the clock, and in some cases (like yesterday) there is no time left on the clock. If someone can explain how that helps the game or what it is 'tied into', I would appreciate it.

The runoff happens in cases where the penalty is a result of hurrying up to save the clock.
A false start, or not getting set causes the runoff because otherwise you get the C and QB up there and can stop the clock. Grounding assumes a sack would have caused the clock to run and an incomplete stops it.
In essence the run off is to account for the time saved by the penalty occuring, whether it was on purpose or not.

That is ridiculous. There is no play call that makes grounding more or less likely. Brady should have thrown over the head of a receiver, or better yet, and their feet, instead of to an open spot on the field.

what i said is that the play call was a bad one for the situation. i never said anything about a play that makes IG less likely. there are plays, however, that are less likely to take 6 seconds.

I hate the intentional grounding rule. If the QB can get the ball away without it being intercepted I think it should be allowed. It cost us the game yesterday because if we had had those 3 points at the end of the half.... (but Brady knows the rule and shouldn't have made the throw that he did).

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes