PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Inside the Draft Room - Observations

Status
Not open for further replies.

NE_PATS_FAN_54

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
Inside the Patriots draft room: Round 1

I haven't seen this discussed anywhere (could've missed it). But here is the video behind the scenes of the draft room from the Pats wesbite. Pretty standard stuff as far as these things goes. Everything is blurred out on the walls as usual, but something I found to be very interesting was the people in the room.

Bill and Caserio clearly at the head of the group - Monti Ossenfort running back and forth - RKK and Jonathan on one side - with Ernie Adams and Josh McDaniels on the other side.

I may be mistaken here, but I can't recall watching one of these and seeing McDaniels involved before. Could be mistaken - I went to rewatch a few of these - but this could be one of the ways that Bill is allowing Josh to be involved in the 'inner workings" of the organization - as it was reported he would do when he passed up the Colts. Just an observation.

Somebody tweeted that McDaniels has never been there before. Interesting.

The enthusiasm level exhibited was off the damn charts!

And what's with BB wearing a jacket and tie?

I found the whole video to be "off". Weird.

Somebody tweeted that McDaniels has never been there before. Interesting.

No he hasn't. His presence is probably part of the condition for him to remain with the Patriots, that in exchange, he gets even deeper access.

Kraft is so awkward

Bedard's take:

Does the fact that Josh McDaniels was spotted in the Patriots' war room mean anything? | Boston Sports Journal

This is very significant to me. I’ve never seen McDaniels in there previously (maybe he was), but certainly not at the “head table.”

McDaniels’ return to the fold was almost entirely a Robert Kraft operation, most likely to give himself options should Belichick leave in the near future. Along those same lines, those reports about Belichick opening his world to McDaniels was, also, a Kraft production (McDaniels has previously said Belichick had included him and helped groom him for a head coach position).

In my estimation, McDaniels being front and center also was influenced by Kraft. Time to get the possible next guy some better reps.

Kraft is so awkward

Not that I defend Kraft a lot but I think a lot of those call the prospect videos make him appear even more awkward because you only hear his side of the phone call. What looks like a long pause of him talking might be just listening to the guy who just got drafted on the other side of the line.

It was a joke. I don't really think McDaniel took over the draft room.:rolleyes:

Some guys have no sense of humor. I liked the comment, though. :)

I did get nervous about the RB pick, McDaniels missed on the Maroney high draft pick before and Gilislee looks like a bust.

I did get nervous about the RB pick, McDaniels missed on the Maroney high draft pick before and Gilislee looks like a bust.
Michel is a different kind of back. I'll be surprised if, barring injury problems, Michel does not turn out to be a quality weapon for the Patriots at the very least.

Wow, getting drafted by the Pats seems pretty lame.

I kind of liked the Dallas Cowboys draft room....:p

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference