PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

In scenario where we remain a WC, who do you want to face?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

WC matchup: preferred matchup would be:

• Bills

Votes: 39 47.0%
  • Bengals

Votes: 31 37.3%
  • Chiefs

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Titans

Votes: 11 13.3%

• Total voters
If LA gets the 7th seed and we lose to the Phins next week, we go to Cinci, Indy goes to Buffalo, and LA goes to KC. All the visiting teams could win, setting up a 2nd round of LA at Tenn and NE at Indy. If LA gets on a roll we would host them in the AFCC.

Let's assume the Chargers beat the Raiders next week to get the 7th seed, meaning they would travel to KC on wildcard weekend. Of all the lower seeds, I think LA has the best chance of knocking off KC, which would really open things up in the AFC, and it also opens a possible window of us hosting a playoff game.
Yea having the Colts and Chargers behind us is big. Both teams could pull off a 2 game winning streak and potentially give us a home championship game. Obligatory blablabla worry about the first game, don't look ahead, etc

I don't think any of the matchups really separate themselves from the others (positively or negatively). There's a case to be made for and against all of them. But I chose the Bengals, for a combination of factors:

- Young QB in the playoffs for the first time, on a team that is notorious for wild card exits.
- Young QB facing a Belichick defense for the first time.
- Biggest coaching advantage of the four teams listed.
- Trouble protecting Burrow means Judon and Barmore can anchor a four (at most) man pass rush and flood the defensive zones, which is how the Pats secondary is built right now.
- Cincinnati is probably the least hostile road environment of the four teams listed.
- Burrow might be hurt already, and the way he gets hit isn't likely to be any healthier in two weeks.

I think the Bills is the easy choice. We beat them once and almost beat them a second time only down 5 points with 7:37 to go in the 4th (and this was when we were playing really bad football). Plus we have some familiarity with them being a division opponent.

Joe Burrow and Jamar Chase is a tough combination to stop, so I'd rather avoid Cincy. And of course, you'd have to be insane to want to play the Chiefs or Titans in the WC round.

Best path to the SB for NE is Buffalo - Tennessee - KC/Cincy.

Bengals seems like the total package. Burrow + Chase + Nixon.

IF patriots can figure out how to stop the run, then the Colts would be my choice.

Hey, we've been great on the road all season. I don't see BUF losing to NYJ, or CIN losing to CLE, so I expect us to go to Bills first round.
I think we can win the rubber match. The whole team was in a 3 week funk since the bye, but I think dominating yesterday will help re-focus them for MIA, and I expect some good confidence going back there. Allen was not good yesterday, and Mac was great. We could win 1 playoff game Mac's first year - that would be an incredible start. All bets are off after that, but if we went to Titans Div. round, it's not crazy to think we could win - depending on Derrick's health.

Hey, we've been great on the road all season. I don't see BUF losing to NYJ, or CIN losing to CLE, so I expect us to go to Bills first round.
I think we can win the rubber match. The whole team was in a 3 week funk since the bye, but I think dominating yesterday will help re-focus them for MIA, and I expect some good confidence going back there. Allen was not good yesterday, and Mac was great. We could win 1 playoff game Mac's first year - that would be an incredible start. All bets are off after that, but if we went to Titans Div. round, it's not crazy to think we could win - depending on Derrick's health.
But if we lose to Miami, we're at Cincinnati instead of Buffalo, which tbh sounds better to me.

Right now the Bengals have the highest odds of being our opponent at 36% followed by Buffalo at 33% then KC at 23%, the rest of the pack are all 5% or less.

Cincinnati are the least experienced team both personnel wise and coaching wise and in the easiest environment to play in. They’re a no brainer.

I voted purely from a what game do I want perspective not best match up or easiest win or any of that. Losing to the Bills left a bad taste in my mouth and changed everything this season, going from if they win out they get the #1 seed, to I hope they make the playoffs. I want thier season ended, and I want the Pats to be the ones to do it. The off-season of oh god are the pats back? Will be delicious.

There's tons of scenario's, but I'll take Buffalo because of familiarity. Bring on round 3.

January 6, 1991

The date of the last playoff win by the Cincinnati Bengals

Though I guess one could say that they are "due". :rofl:

Right now the Bengals have the highest odds of being our opponent at 36% followed by Buffalo at 33% then KC at 23%, the rest of the pack are all 5% or less.

Cincinnati are the least experienced team both personnel wise and coaching wise and in the easiest environment to play in. They’re a no brainer.
I believe if we beat Miami we go to Buffalo (if the Bills beat the Jets), no matter who else wins or loses, so those odds can't be right. We need to lose to Miami if we want to play Cinci.

Cinci is who we want ideally. I'm not afraid of the Bills and like our chances there, but we have a huge coaching advantage vs the Bengals and I can't imagine us losing to them.

It would be rare for BB to do this, but he could play the reserves this week, take the L, and it's on to Cincinnati. This could have the added benefit of the Colts going to Buffalo where I think they'd win. Also, if the Chargers can beat LV this weekend, then they go to KC where I think they have a good chance. Imagine KC, Buffalo, and Cinci all getting knocked out in the first weekend.

Titans play the Texans next.

The # 1 seed is locked up because I just cannot se them losing to Houston.

Mahomes has never played a post season game on the road other than the Super Bowl. He has always enjoyed homefield advantage leading up to the SB.

The winner of the Chargers vs Raiders game decides the 7th AFC seed.
As the #2 seed, Chefs are almost guaranteed home games through Divisional round. Of course, if they face Bolts in WC round, they could lose like earlier this year, but it being Herbert's 1st playoff game on the road, I doubt they do (hope it happens though).

If they beat whomever they face at home in Div. round (Colts/Bengals), AND Tits hold on to win their Div. game, then and only then, they would play an AFCCG on the road. If Tits falter, they'll be playing at home again for the entire playoffs.

We need to lose to Miami if we want to play Cinci.
If Buffalo beats the JETE (likely) and if Cincy loses to Cleveland, Buffalo moves to 3 and Cincy to 4. Then if NE wins, NE stays at 5 and faces the Bengals. So there are mutliple scenarios where we can face Cincinnati

I believe if we beat Miami we go to Buffalo (if the Bills beat the Jets), no matter who else wins or loses, so those odds can't be right. We need to lose to Miami if we want to play Cinci.
Not if CLE beats CIN, then we would go to CIN.

Edit: Jupiter beat me to it.

KC! So badly want to go back into Arrowhead again and rip their hearts out. This time with little Mac.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back