PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I'm on Team Stidham

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everyone keeps talking about how little offensive talent we have. Have we totally given up on Harry after 7 games? Do we think Sanu is terrible? Is Andrews coming back? Develin?
I'm not suggesting that there are no holes, but I think saying they have "the worst offensive weapons in the NFL" is just the typical negativity we seem to get a fair dose of around here.

Given up on Harry (and Sony Michel for that matter)? ---> Yes

Is Sanu terrible? ---> Yes

Is Andrew's coming back? ---> Don't know

Develin---> Doubt it.

I just don’t see it being for a few years or until we find a real QB
This is what I'm talking about when I say that people are being too pessimistic.

All of the scouting reports I've seen say he's got NFL arm talent. His teammates back that up.

Belichick and McDaniels both say the kid is smart, that he's got a good attitude, he's picking up the system quickly, and he's improving. They clearly had enough faith in his talent that they cut Hoyer last summer.

He played well when he got a chance last Summer.

The Patriots seem to have evaluated him as being a better option than several proven NFL starters already on the market.

...and you're already writing the kid off as having no chance to be a good player.

I don't get it.

Everyone keeps talking about how little offensive talent we have. Have we totally given up on Harry after 7 games? Do we think Sanu is terrible? Is Andrews coming back? Develin?
I'm not suggesting that there are no holes, but I think saying they have "the worst offensive weapons in the NFL" is just the typical negativity we seem to get a fair dose of around here.

haven’t given up on anyone ... without Brady, some of these WRs won’t have to wait as long for the QB to look their way......next year is going to be interesting

It seems that folks are fine with Stidham and Hoyer. They seem to be believe that it's fine to go 6-10 with Stidham and get a good draft pick. BTW, I suspect that we won't get the first pick of the draft.

OPTIONS

1) STIDHAM and HOYER
Either Stidham is ready or he's not. If not, watching a terrible set of games and being 6-10 is fine. After all, the one good draft pick will set us up for a decade.

2) STIDHAM, HOYER and A DRAFTEE
This seems to be the most likely scenario. We'd have two quarterbacks who have a chance to develop this year and next. If BOTH fail, then we can try again next year.

3) VETERAN, STIDHAM, HOYER (and perhaps a #4 as we once did)
If Stidham needs another year of development (likely), then Belichick will try to be competitive by bringing in a veteran. Belichick is not the kind of coach that tanks.
A veteran could provide a 1-3 year bridge while we find our future franchise quarterback, who could be Stidham.

Folks balk at the cost. After all, we'll only have $20M-$30M after extensions and restructures. Those posters probably didn't even notice that re-signing McCourty is only a $5.4M 2020 cap hit. A quarterback needn't be much more.

For example, the quarterback might be have a $2M 2020 salary, a $20M bonus, and a five year contract (with whatever number of voidable years). The first two could be real, with some guarantee in Year 2, with the 3rd year including an option payment.
The salaries after Year 1 are negotiable and would affect the 2020 cap hit of $6M.

The open question is whether we want to be competitive with a Winston or a Dalton for $6M of 2020 cap money, or whether we just put all the chips on Stidham and let the wheel spin. For me, Belichick will NOT intentionally tank the team. If he thinks that Stidham is ready and needs no backup, other than an emergency Hoyer, then we don't need a vet. Otherwise, expecting a Winston or Dalton to being us to the playoffs seems reasonable.

The McCourty Twins are on Team Stidham.

McCourty Twins Confident In Patriots’ Quarterback Situation After Tom Brady’s Exit

“I think, to me, the best thing for Stiddy (Stidham) was he had to go against our defense every week. He didn’t have it easy,” Devin McCourty said.

“To me, there were weeks he was just on point and those were some of our best weeks as a defense mainly because Stiddy ate us up in practice leading up to the game, and I think put more pressure on us. So, I really just admire how hard he works.”

The Patriots’ captain followed it up with some major praise, saying “the Stidham’s are going to be in New England for a long time.”​

P.S. I'm going to refer to him as "J-Stiddy" from now on.

This is what I'm talking about when I say that people are being too pessimistic.
...and you're already writing the kid off as having no chance to be a good player.

I don't get it.

OK, I think that Stidham has a chance of being a good quarterback, perhaps even a starter, or even a franchise quarterback. It does NOT follow that we should start Stidham and have Hoyer as the only backup. There are other, perhaps more reasonable possibilities.

People here on this forum are desperate for an answer at QB right away. They are in denial how bad this team is right now.

If they’re that bad right now without a 43 year old QB then they aren’t much better with the 43 year old.

If they’re that bad right now without a 43 year old QB then they aren’t much better with the 43 year old.

When do you think that Brady stopped being a difference maker, and worth at least a couple of wins?

When do you think that Brady stopped being a difference maker, and worth at least a couple of wins?

people are talking like losing Brady means they turned from a playoff team to picking right at the top of the draft next year. If they’re that terrible right now then I can’t see how a now 43 year old Brady who was not that great last season makes them that much better.

people are talking like losing Brady means they turned from a playoff team to picking right at the top of the draft next year. If they’re that terrible right now then I can’t see how a now 43 year old Brady who was not that great last season makes them that much better.
fair enough.

They're just wrong. :) Actually, many of them WANT us to Tank for Trevor and end up winning 4 games.

By the time we are actually playing games this year (presuming that we do), this team will be much better than it is now. If Stidham is as bad as they think, he won't be starting.

The team decided not to pay Brady a guaranteed $50M while delaying the transition two years.

Instead, the defense will likely be almost as good as in 2019. We still need to add 2-3 front seven players.

The special teams will be as good.

The offense still needs lots of work, but there are lots of alternatives. The alternatives are different depending on the plan at QB. In any case, we need 2 TE's and a couple of receivers.

Last edited:
Hire another QB coach. Have one work on the throwing and movement.. the physical stuff..

The other coach ... Work on reading of defenses, the scheme , the brains. The mental stuff..

Coach this guy like he's got elephant ears. Give him every bit of knowledge that Brady worked on. Coax it into him in the off season . Work on the craft . All the details add up to slowing the game down when he needs it next year.

Given up on Harry (and Sony Michel for that matter)? ---> Yes

Is Sanu terrible? ---> Yes

Is Andrew's coming back? ---> Don't know

Develin---> Doubt it.
Sanu is not terrible and it would be crazy to give up on him. He showed flashes of ability last year and was certainly hampered by high ankle sprain for which he had surgery. He is a decent # 2 or # 3 WR

Giving up on Michel is crazy. The blocking sucked last year. If he gets even average blocking he is a good runner. Also I think his potential as a pass catching RB has not been tapped.

Unfortunately, I agree with you about Harry. Terrible draft pick. Can not separate from defenders, low football IQ. Can not fix those things. How they picked him over Samuel and AJ Brown is unfathomable.

Sanu is not terrible and it would be crazy to give up on him. He showed flashes of ability last year and was certainly hampered by high ankle sprain for which he had surgery. He is a decent # 2 or # 3 WR

Giving up on Michel is crazy. The blocking sucked last year. If he gets even average blocking he is a good runner. Also I think his potential as a pass catching RB has not been tapped.

Unfortunately, I agree with you about Harry. Terrible draft pick. Can not separate from defenders, low football IQ. Can not fix those things. How they picked him over Samuel and AJ Brown is unfathomable.

Sanu is terrible, and will be worse when not opposite A.J. Green and Julio Jones, especially at 31. Even if you were right with he's "a decent #3"...for a 2nd round pick????

According to multiple accounts, Michel has a degenerative knee condition, and that appeared obvious last year. He is not going to get better.

The Harry conundrum is an odd one as it seemed so predictable. He looked slow in college...he looks slower when compared to NFL players. Reminds me of the Treadwell pick in MN.

Dev with huge Praise for Stidham said he moved the ball well against the defense and Made the defense better.

It’s interesting because Tom had said he couldn’t make plays against our D.

Just saying

Damn. Crazy that every single one of his teammates had nothing by glowing praise for him. Things are definitely looking up.

How can you not be on team Stidham? Have you guys seen his puny contract? The team is easier to built when the QB doesn't suck away all the money.

Last edited:

Now see, this is the most tragic thing I've read in the last couple of months. How are you going to butcher a guy's name by giving him such a sissy nickname, when you've got such an obvious one readily available - Jarrett STUDham.

Stiddy sounds like a guy who prances around in hot pants making "jazz hands" everywhere he goes.

STUDham sounds like the alpha who goes around stuffing incels into lockers.

What is the world coming to?

I am not necessarily "fine" with the Stidham option but am OK with it vs most of the other alternatives. And while they probably could bring on a veteran for short cap dollars this year I assume it would result into some dead money in future years and am not sure it is worth it.

If they would bring on a Dalton, Winston, Newton for a $5M prove it type contract I could live with it but I do not think their demands are remotely in the ballpark. Would prefer Winston of the 3 as he is still young and he may have some upside. Dalton may be a better short term fit but I do not see how he ever leads Pats to promised land.

Team needs to hope Stidham is the real deal but even if he is they will have serious growing pains. Most Jets and Bills fans are optimistic about Darnold and Allen and both have been bottom 1/4 of QB's their first 2 years. If Stidham can somehow be an effective game manager, the running game is productive and the defense remains good the team can hopefully win 10 games and position themselves to improve next year. If not they need to quickly go to plan B.

Damn. Crazy that every single one of his teammates had nothing by glowing praise for him. Things are definitely looking up.
It's not just the praise from his teammates, though.

It's that he beat out a respected veteran QB for the #2 job as a rookie.

It's that even in the most buyer-friendly starting QB market I can ever recall, Belichick has seen enough from the kid to pass on all of the established options in favor of Stidham.

It's not just the praise from his teammates, though.

It's that he beat out a respected veteran QB for the #2 job as a rookie.

It's that even in the most buyer-friendly starting QB market I can ever recall, Belichick has seen enough from the kid to pass on all of the established options in favor of Stidham.
Stidham beat out Brady? When did that happen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
Back