PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I'm no Antonio Brown fan

Status
Not open for further replies.
What other course of action is there? Block or not block, right?

What if i told you, that your able to block someone, without knocking them the **** out.
All you need to do is impede progress of the defensive player. Shuster turned and laid him out, which is illegal. All he needed to do was push burfect off course.

Need to find a way to contain him. Bungles did a lousy job last night.

This isn't really that hard.

If he wanted to block Burfict in the chest, he could have blocked him in the chest, with his shoulder.

Instead he blasted the side of his own helmet directly into Burfict's facemask. He took him out. That's illegal. Sure, Burfict may have lowered his head some too, but fair or not, the burden is on the tackler to avoid making a head shot.

From his taunting, he was pretty proud of himself, too. Clearly it was no accident and he knew who he was blasting.

1) Block with his arms extended? So you want him to break his arm? Schuster is generously listed at 215. Burfict is listed at 251. If Schuster tries to arm block him, he's going to lose. :)
2) Not block from an angle where the defender is defenseless? Not possible in the few milliseconds that this play developed. No way he has enough time to adjust anything.
3) Not launch himself? Look at the .gif above. He plants his feet and leans forward so that he leading with his shoulder. If he doesn't do that, he's the one that's going to get knocked out in the upcoming collision. It's called bracing, not launching. It's taught.
4) Not target the head and neck area? He lowers his shoulder specifically to avoid a head shot. Burfict lowers his head and causes the chin contact.
5) Something like... wait a minute, that's the only option Marshall had here. He also blocked someone blindside (literally a person unanable to see someone their side). This block was no "safer" than the one we're debating here. And BTW, it looks like Marshall might've clipped Lee's helmet a bit.

You've wasted an inordinate amount of time arguing your incorrect opinion, badly. Making excuses "Schuster tries to arm block him, he's going to lose" is not an excuse for making a play that deserved to be penalized and will certainly draw a fine from the NFL later today or tomorrow. Unclear why you think this is convincing.

Likewise, saying "Not possible in the few milliseconds that this play developed. No way he has enough time to adjust anything" is an excuse saying Shuster should be allowed to perform an illegal hit because he took a bad blocking angle in the first place - incredibly weak argument in support of your apparent position that "nothing was wrong with what he did."

Watch this: Defenseless Player | NFL Football Operations The video at the top shows numerous examples of players who did it right, and those who did it wrong. Shuster did it wrong, by the rule.

What if i told you, that your able to block someone, without knocking them the **** out.
All you need to do is impede progress of the defensive player. Shuster turned and laid him out, which is illegal. All he needed to do was push burfect off course.
right...so penalty for blocking too hard lol....that was a great block, but not allowed anymore.

This isn't really that hard.

If he wanted to block Burfict in the chest, he could have blocked him in the chest, with his shoulder.

Instead he blasted the side of his own helmet directly into Burfict's facemask. He took him out. That's illegal. Sure, Burfict may have lowered his head some too, but fair or not, the burden is on the tackler to avoid making a head shot.

From his taunting, he was pretty proud of himself, too. Clearly it was no accident and he knew who he was blasting.

He wasn't tackling. He is blocking. Burfict is not a ball carrier.

The burden is also on the blocker to not make a head shot on a blind side block. It is a 2017 point of emphasis. What used to be legal is not legal any more.

The burden is also on the blocker to not make a head shot on a blind side block. It is a 2017 point of emphasis. What used to be legal is not legal any more.

Juju's a rookie, too. No excuses for "I'm used to doing it the old way."

but I think I like him a little more this morning after his 'karma' routine

i'm not fully sure he gets exactly what karma is in terms of a metaphysical paradigm, but it did make me chuckle

no worries.......as long as you don't feel bad when Burfict jacks up Juju in the future

karma is never ending...........Brown should keep his pie hole closed

it's bad when Burfict does it and it's bad when Juju does it

this kind of thinking makes Bernie Pollard a hero in some circles

no worries.......as long as you don't feel bad when Burfict jacks up Juju in the future

oh i didn't like the hit per se, i just thought Brown was funny

Brown yelling "karma" was pretty F'in stupid considering what happened to Shazier. Fact of the matter is that the Squeelers have been a dirty team since Tomlin took over and it's been exacerbated by the likes of Joey Porter being a "coach"..

This is what made me smile...

badjuju.0.gif
Looking at the play from this angle, I have to change my mind on this. That wasn't an illegal hit. And while I can see why the call was made at game speed. Looking at it in a loop, it seems to me that he drives his shoulder into his chest, and any helmet to helmet contact is merely incidental. It is clear that he wasn't trying to drive his helmet into Burfect's head.

That being said, to me, the taunting after the hit was almost as unacceptable as Gronk's melt down. I'm thinking that his suspension is going to be reduced as it should be. On the plus side, it will afford us the right to comment with all the righteous indignation we can muster, on the league office favoring the Steelers again. ;)

Brown yelling "karma" was pretty F'in stupid considering what happened to Shazier. Fact of the matter is that the Squeelers have been a dirty team since Tomlin took over and it's been exacerbated by the likes of Joey Porter being a "coach"..

Exactly. I can understand Brown having no sympathy for Burfict, since Burfict has done the same thing to others, but when you have a teammate in the hospital who might be paralyzed as a result of hit in the same game, you may not want to bring up karma.

**** Antonio Brown.

F-V-C-K him.

I really, Really hope that the Murderer-Worshippers cripple that repulsive Piece Of Shyte this week, and his Rapist QB too.

That was a helmet to helmet hit and it knocked Burfict unconcious. Burfict's no saint but you don't want to see that happen to any player. What's worse is Ju Ju actual stood over Burifct when he was down. Even Sean McDonough said it was "disgusting".

Burfict hasn't been beaified yet?
Leading with the shoulder against a defenseless player, as I put in bold font in my first response to you, is a violation of the unnecessary roughness rule. Schuster has to do what hundreds of players have to every game - figure out how not to hit a defenseless player in an illegal manner.

You said "it was a brutal hit" - yes - the NFL also made it an illegal hit as I cited above with the language from the rules.

It's very unclear why you think Schuster's only available course of action was an illegal hit to block Burfict.

What makes Burfict defenseless there? Is he not a defensive player trying to tackle the ballplayer?

Considering the poor victim [Burfict], I'd be inclined to help pay the fine and buy him lunch too. Burfict might be the dirtiest player in the league and that's saying something in a league where Suh isn't suspended half the time.

Standing over him was stupid, but Burfict has been waiting for a message for a long time.

I still think Robert Parish's best play ever was the combination he laid on Bill Laimbeer. You'll recall he wasn't even called for a foul, much less any extra penalty.

The force of Karma can be powerful when you're a Burfict or Laimbeer.

Also, what side of his head are Burfict's eyes on? The block was between the ball carrier and Burfict. How is that blind side?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back