PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I'm Hungry, Mr. Macaroney!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nuff said. Thanks for looking up the numbers for us. :)
BTW Maroney has scored a grand total of TWO times in 31 red zone touches. That one was a freebie as a reward for your work. ;)

2.5 ypc in the red zone is a good number... thats the best ypc in the red zone out of all our backs INCLUDING morris

2.5 ypc in the red zone is a good number... thats the best ypc in the red zone out of all our backs INCLUDING morris

2 scores in 31 red zone touches, and a 2.5 YPC and you're going to argue that's GOOD? Wow. Compare his performance against a real red zone back like Marion Barber and you'll see the light.

Cowboys’ red zone offense vs. Giants’ red zone defense

The Dallas Cowboys are one of the best teams in the NFL at scoring touchdowns from inside the red zone, managing to get the ball into the end zone 19 times on 32 attempts. This week they face a Giants defense that has struggled to stop opponents inside its own 20-yard line.

The Cowboys’ red zone success is largely down to the powerful rushing duo of Marion Barber and Julius Jones. The two running backs have combined for 1,198 yards and nine touchdowns this season, and are next to impossible to stop when in sight of the end zone.

The Giants are unlikely to be the team to halt Barber and Jones. New York has allowed opponents to score 13 TDs in 19 visits to the red zone – a 68 percent average that is currently the highest in the league.

The Cowboys are 1 ½-point favorites on the road.

http://www.sportsgrumblings.com/han...les/535/1/NFL-mismatches---Week-10/Page1.html

The problem is that you can't run play-action well when you have no CREDIBLE running attack. Defenses don't respect Maroney for anything but his running ability, they don't NEED to stack 8 in the box, yet they are easily stuffing him when he does run, as that's the only thing he can do. Hmmm. Could it be, he just doesn't have "it"?

The Pats have a credible running attack.

Opposing teams aren't easily stuffing Maroney. That is just your ignorant view.

Nuff said. Thanks for looking up the numbers for us. :)
BTW Maroney has scored a grand total of TWO times in 31 red zone touches. That one was a freebie as a reward for your work. ;)

Nothing like being a total ass and cherry picking the numbers. I can do that also. See, Kevin Faulk has ZERO Rushing TDs in the red zone. He must STINK as a RB..

Kyle Eckel must be GREAT as a Red Zone option since he has 2 TDs in 14 chances. Lets put him in there all the time.. NOT.. Anyone with half a brain knows that Eckel's TDs have come in garbage time.

2 scores in 31 red zone touches, and a 2.5 YPC and you're going to argue that's GOOD? Wow. Compare his performance against a real red zone back like Marion Barber and you'll see the light.

Cowboys’ red zone offense vs. Giants’ red zone defense

The Dallas Cowboys are one of the best teams in the NFL at scoring touchdowns from inside the red zone, managing to get the ball into the end zone 19 times on 32 attempts. This week they face a Giants defense that has struggled to stop opponents inside its own 20-yard line.

The Cowboys’ red zone success is largely down to the powerful rushing duo of Marion Barber and Julius Jones. The two running backs have combined for 1,198 yards and nine touchdowns this season, and are next to impossible to stop when in sight of the end zone.

The Giants are unlikely to be the team to halt Barber and Jones. New York has allowed opponents to score 13 TDs in 19 visits to the red zone – a 68 percent average that is currently the highest in the league.

The Cowboys are 1 ½-point favorites on the road.

http://www.sportsgrumblings.com/han...les/535/1/NFL-mismatches---Week-10/Page1.html

In the red zone, Marion barber averages .6 more ypc than laurence maroney (3.2 vs. 2.6) When its even closer, and defenses are even more packed in (10 yards or less to go) maroney actually averages more ypc (maroney averages 2.4, barber averages 1.8)

look it up in their splits: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/splits?playerId=9607
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/splits?playerId=8523

Last edited:
VJC.. Please note that I messed up on the number in my previous post and have corrected them.

Here are the Corrected numbers:

Maroney has had 18 touches inside the Red Zone. He's gotten 47 yards. 2.6 YPC. 2 TDs
Evans has had 14 touches inside the Red Zone. He's gotten 23 yards. That's a whopping 1.6 YPC. 3 TDs
Morris had 24 touches inside the Red Zone. 50 yards He averaged 2.1 YPC. 3 TDs
Faulk has had 12 carries for 51 yards in the Red Zone. 4.25 YPC. 0 TDs.

In the red zone, Marion barber averages .6 more ypc than laurence maroney (3.2 vs. 2.6) When its even closer, and defenses are even more packed in (10 yards or less to go) maroney actually averages more ypc (maroney averages 2.4, barber averages 1.8)

look it up in their splits: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/splits?playerId=9607

You neglect to mention that Barber scored 11 Touchdowns in the Red Zone. That is a 5.5:1 TD productivity edge over Maroney.

Last edited:
You neglect to mention that Barber scored 11 Touchdowns in the Red Zone. That is a 5.5:1 productivity edge over Maroney.

barber has 7 touchdowns this year

maroney has 2

i dont see how you get 5:1 in productivity?

also, maroney has 40 less carries than barber.

I bet in his next 40 carries he gets at least 1-2 touchdowns

can do that also. See, Kevin Faulk has ZERO Rushing TDs in the red zone. He must STINK as a RB..

Kyle Eckel must be GREAT as a Red Zone option since he has 2 TDs in 14 chances.

Kevin Faulk is a very good 3rd down back. He lacks the power to be a good Red Zone back however, so that number is not surprising.
Kyle Eckle is a scrub, but he's a better Red Zone option than Maroney, what does that tell you? 2/14 vs 2/31.

This particular discussion only bears on the back's effectiveness in the Red Zone. Maroney is just not very effective in the Red Zone.
We have resorted to using guys like Kyle Eckel and Heath Evans instead. That's pretty sad.

Last edited:
You neglect to mention that Barber scored 11 Touchdowns in the Red Zone. That is a 5.5:1 TD productivity edge over Maroney.

That's pretty funny since Barber only has 7 TDs on the season.

6 of Barber's 7 TDs have come from the Red Zone.

It should be noted that Barber is their Red Zone back. So he gets most of the carries there. Julius Jones has only had 6 carries when the Cowboys have been inside the 10. And 24 total Red Zone carries. 2 Red Zone TDs.

Barbers got 33 carries in the Red Zone to Maroney's 18.

barber has 7 touchdowns this year

maroney has 2

i dont see how you get 5:1 in productivity?

also, maroney has 40 less carries than barber.

I bet in his next 40 carries he gets at least 1-2 touchdowns

Ok the actual red zone production ratio is 3:1. 6 vs 2.
I misread the splits.

Wow you're taking a real risk betting that Maroney might score a TD in his next 40 carries.
:D Any bets on how much yardage Maroney will gain on the Steelers?

Last edited:
Kevin Faulk is a very good 3rd down back. He lacks the power to be a good Red Zone back however, so that number is not surprising.
Kyle Eckle is a scrub, but he's a better Red Zone option than Maroney, what does that tell you? 2/14 vs 2/31.

Hey SFBs, its 2 for 18. Also, Eckel's TDs have come in garbage time. Why do you insist on being STUPID?

This particular discussion only bears on the back's effectiveness in the Red Zone. Maroney is just not very effective in the Red Zone.
We have resorted to using guys like Kyle Eckel and Heath Evans instead. That's pretty sad.

So, let me get this straight. In your world, using guys like EVANS in GOAL LINE situations because he's 250 lbs and should be able to hit people and soften them up is tantamount to Maroney's being bad?

See, in MY world, Using Evans, a 250 lbs FB to smash into the D-line is SMART football because, at the very least, it wears the opposing D-line down.

I misread the splits.

Wow you're taking a real risk betting that Maroney might score a TD in his next 40 carries. :D Any bets on how much yardage he will gain on the Steelers?

haha, my point was just if you give them an equal # of carries the TD numbers won't be so skewed

and for this game, it obviously depends on how much we balance passing vs. running, cause the steeler's real weakness is the pass. But if he gets 15-20 carries i'd hope for somewhere between 50-75 yards on the ground, plus i wouldnt be surprised to see him get more passes his way.

I misread the splits.

Wow you're taking a real risk betting that Maroney might score a TD in his next 40 carries. :D Any bets on how much yardage he will gain on the Steelers?
So, discount the fact that Barber has 15 more Red Zone carries and is Dallas' primary Red Zone back.

I'd believe that Maroney will get 2-3 more TDs on his next 15 Red Zone carries. He might even get MORE than that.

I'd believe that Maroney will get 2-3 more TDs on his next 15 Red Zone carries. He might even get MORE than that.

That's a bet I'm willing to take. Let's keep track of this stat from here on out then.

That's a bet I'm willing to take. Let's keep track of this stat from here on out then.

I see that you have a reading comprehension problem. No where did I make a bet. I said I believed. You clearly are mentally deficient and just refuse to have a sensible conversation.

You don't actually read what is said.

I see that you have a reading comprehension problem. No where did I make a bet. I said I believed. You clearly are mentally deficient and just refuse to have a sensible conversation.

You don't actually read what is said.

Don't worry I'll make sure to call you on it a few weeks from now. Let's just see how Maroney performs now. 2-3 TDs in his next 15 red zone carries? I'd love to see it!

BTW, I really wish McDaniels would call more running plays OUTSIDE the Tackles. Maroney's best yardage gains have come when he runs outside the tackles. Its pretty bad that on the 15 runs OUTSIDE the tackles Maroney has gained 96 yards (6.4 YPC). While on the 103 runs inside the tackles, he's gained 415 yards (4.03 YPC)

Don't worry I'll make sure to call you on it a few weeks from now. Let's just see how Maroney performs now. 2-3 TDs in his next 15 red zone carries? I'd love to see it!

I'm sure you will. Losers like yourself who have reading comprehension issues take joy when other people make mistakes. Of course, you never live up to your own. You spin it whatever way you can so you don't have to take responsibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe