PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I'm Finally Convinced: This is Brady's Last Year in New England

Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand how you might not understand why Brady might want to continue to play, even if it without Edelman and White (is there anyone else?). Is Josh going to be here in 2020? Is Dante? Will Belichick offer him as much as bridgewater will make, or Tannehill? Certainly, Belichick won't offer what is being paid to the top QB's.

I think that Belichick and Brady MAY work it out. Of course, if Belichick thinks that Brady has no option other than retirement, then Belichick won't be offering much.

I just don't see him at 42, starting a all over again in a new city/state, system, teammates, OC, HC..... He might as well retire.

I understand how you might not understand why Brady might want to continue to play, even if it without Edelman and White (is there anyone else?). Is Josh going to be here in 2020? Is Dante? Will Belichick offer him as much as bridgewater will make, or Tannehill? Certainly, Belichick won't offer what is being paid to the top QB's.

I think that Belichick and Brady MAY work it out. Of course, if Belichick thinks that Brady has no option other than retirement, then Belichick won't be offering much.

Belichik hasn't offered much to Brady for years, and Brady on his part has been restructuring his contract for years in the team's benefit. Brady isn't looking for money, or else he would have been gone years ago. He's looking to win, and he knows very well the Patriots give him the best chance.

It's more than just not having Edelman or White, these guys are replaceable. There are plenty of great receivers on other teams which Brady can make it work with. But it's about uprooting your whole family to a different part of the country at such a late stage of your career. If Brady was 35? Sure.... But at 42? getting acclimated to a new place, new system, new players, new coaches, new everything. Brady needs Belichickk as much as Belichick needs Brady. It's a marriage between those two.

It might make him wrong, but it doesn't make him stupid.
I was being facetious. What I wanted to imply is he
It might make him wrong, but it doesn't make him stupid.
I was being facetious. I was responding to a reply that sounded like BB wanted to get rid of Brady to keep JG. I think he wanted to keep them both and would not have got rid of Brady during that span. Brady was the better QB

Upstaging his whole family from the glories of New England is not as bad as those who love the cold and ice think it is.

Brady pretty much knows what will happen next year. He and I are pretty sure that Belichick won't secure the 4-5 players needed on offense for Brady to succeed and survive. I'm NOT saying that Brady won't continue to play under this situation. I just think that moving may not be as bad as staying.

Let's say we believe Brady and our eyes, and believe that Brady could play another 2-3 years. If familiar coaches are critical, then MIA is the place to go. I suspect that the $80M and many top draft choice would enable them to build a fine team fast under Brady's leadership.
=========
You say that Brady KNOWS that the patriots provide him the best chance to win. Are you won who believes that we are favored to win the Super Bowl this year? Is the team likely to much better next year, after losing Thuney and Van Noy (and possibly there McCourty brothers).

Belichik hasn't offered much to Brady for years, and Brady on his part has been restructuring his contract for years in the team's benefit. Brady isn't looking for money, or else he would have been gone years ago. He's looking to win, and he knows very well the Patriots give him the best chance.

It's more than just not having Edelman or White, these guys are replaceable. There are plenty of great receivers on other teams which Brady can make it work with. But it's about uprooting your whole family to a different part of the country at such a late stage of your career. If Brady was 35? Sure.... But at 42? getting acclimated to a new place, new system, new players, new coaches, new everything. Brady needs Belichickk as much as Belichick needs Brady. It's a marriage between those two.

Belichik hasn't offered much to Brady for years, and Brady on his part has been restructuring his contract for years in the team's benefit.
Brady has never once taken a pay cut on a restructure. They’ve either been neutral or (more often) he gets raises. So yes, they have helped the team, but he generally gets $$$ out of them too and never loses $$$ on them.

Brady has never once taken a pay cut on a restructure. They’ve either been neutral or (more often) he gets raises. So yes, they have helped the team, but he generally gets $$$ out of them too and never loses $$$ on them.
I believe that however it's a bit misleading because he's usually below market value and sometimes by alot. He's an MVP 2 years ago making way below market the last 2 years, which happen to be 2 years after he lit up the superbowl for 500 yards.

I was being facetious. What I wanted to imply is he

I was being facetious. I was responding to a reply that sounded like BB wanted to get rid of Brady to keep JG. I think he wanted to keep them both and would not have got rid of Brady during that span. Brady was the better QB
No worries. I was kidding as well...but the line between "wrong" and "stupid" can be pretty thin at times.

Tom moving upward within the Best Buddies organization doesn't indicate much to me. The global ambassadors still have residences across the U.S. so there's no reason to assume that this decision necessitates any physical move by Tom.

Love ya Shmessy, but I'm with PatJew here - clickbaity thread title for a story that potentially means nothing. Not sure if this warranted a new thread ... do we have a Tom speculation master thread? If not, we should.

Tom heading up the London expansion team, that's why hes an international ambassador now

Does the defense need rebuilding? Is Mayo an offensive genius? Is Belichick? Is his son?
====
We need a plan for rebuilding the OFFENSE.
We don't need a plan for rebuilding the offense but the whole team. An offensive rebuild is going to take a number of years and a couple tries at drafting a quarterback. In that time, the defense will age with players like Hightower, the McCourty twins, and Collins retiring or moving on in free agency (or us overpaying for fading talent). With the focus on offense in the draft, the defense will also suffer a downturn in new talent compared to the offense.

It is nearly impossible in this league to focus on rebuilding one aspect of a roster. Rather, you hit a good run of drafts and build a solid roster as a whole that catapults you to the Super Bowl.

I would rather groom a head coach through the defensive coaching tree since that is Belichick's specialization. If he can impart 80% of his knowledge to his son or Mayo, we can continue to be a force in the future.

I'm interested to hear why you're so worried about Brady when he isn't what's going to make or break this team in the next few seasons. I hope we can keep him and make it work; but to focus so much on Brady would be putting a player about the needs of the team. And that isn't the Patriot Way that has been winning Super Bowls.

So this season had everything that could go wrong for the Offense go wrong, OL ravaged by injuries, then the best FB in the league is out for the year. No running game. Brown social medias his way of town. It's FB sh!t happens.

Brady used to be able to carry a team and elevate the talent around him for almost 20 years, he is incapable of doing that anymore.

If Brady leaves, retire or whatever I am fine he gave us more than anybody could expect. HE was lucky to have BB as a coach giving him an advantage over other teams in terms of coaching every week.

Stidham had the physical tools to be an elite QB, the question is does he have the mind and focus to be great, no idea, BB sees how he progressing on the practice field and in the QB room. I will trust his judgement.

He's still well underpaid compared to what he could have gotten elsewhere. Or pretty much anywhere else.

Unless the Pats really low ball Brady I have a hard time buying there will be many teams offering a much better deal. If I am Miami why would I want to hitch my wagon to a 43 year old QB while in the midst of a complete rebuild? Would he even be welcomed by their fan base when he was a chief rival for past 20 years? I think he makes sense for a few teams (like the Bears) who truly think they may be a QB away from winning it all and do not have their QB of the future but I still have trouble seeing Brady wanting to fully commit himself to the change. I assume it would mean less time with his family during the season as I doubt he moves them to a new city, he'd need to attend all OTA's to get acclimated to new players and system and do all the glad handing to VIPs the new owner would want to justify the huge investment. Maybe I am naive but changing teams at this time in his career just seems counter to the player/person we have seen the last 20 years.

Stidham had the physical tools to be an elite QB, the question is does he have the mind and focus to be great, no idea, BB sees how he progressing on the practice field and in the QB room. I will trust his judgement.
Post Brady.....
Stidham has wheels that could certainly improve the Pats’ current pathetic 3rd down rate.
I don’t expect BB to solve all the offensive issues in one offseason and if 2020 is a QB transition year, I do believe a Stidham offense can keep the Pats competitive
Think Cassel who had some success moving the chains.

Playing the NFC West next season plus all AFC division winners will be a quite a gauntlet though

He is still better then most QB’s in the league...but I don’t think Tom can carry an average offense like he has in previous years. He also seems to be incredibly agitated more easily now which IMO is effecting his play negatively. I think the level of BS the Pats seem to always have to deal with is wearing him down..more so then previous seasons. IMO he retires not because he is unable to perform at a certain level that he demands from himself...but because of the endless drama at age 43.

Last edited:
He is still better then most QB’s in the league...but I don’t think Tom can carry an average offense like he has in previous years. He also seems to be incredibly agitated more easily now which IMO is effecting his play negatively. I think the level of BS the Pats seem to always have to deal with is wearing him down..more so then previous seasons. IMO he retires not because he is unable to perform at a certain level that he demands from himself...but because of the endless drama at age 43.

Agree! The grind of NFL football married with endless grief surrounding this team would have destroyed another man years ago. A true testament to his greatness. Really glad he grabbed that sixth ring on his way out. He has nothing left to prove unless he strictly wants to get to 45.

Agree! The grind of NFL football married with endless grief surrounding this team would have destroyed another man years ago. A true testament to his greatness. Really glad he grabbed that sixth ring on his way out. He has nothing left to prove unless he strictly wants to get to 45.
Endless grief?

Are you high?

"The grind of NFL football married with endless grief surrounding this team would have destroyed another man years ago."

He only has to deal with the first.

It's the Little Lord Fauntroys here who expect perfection every year have to deal with the second.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST