PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I'm Finally Convinced: This is Brady's Last Year in New England

Status
Not open for further replies.
In all fairness to @smessy,

Who is this smessy? Is he related to @shmessy ;)

That's another fine shmess you've gotten us into !
laurel-hardys-n

Last edited:
Last edited:
so, your assumption is that Brady 2020 and Defense 2020 will be as good as this year?

I never made any such assumption. For all we know the offense could be better and the defense could be worse. Each season is a separate work in progress.

Also, Tom Brady doesn't look done to me.

You really don't think Tom Brady would fill out a stadium in his native state?

EDIT - not to dismerit your post at all. But I do think if there is a place where Brady could go is the Chargers.

Yes. I don't know if you know this but LA and SF have a rivalry going like Boston and NYC on the East Coast. LA is not SF (even though they both have a massive homelessness problem).

You really don't think Tom Brady would fill out a stadium in his native state?

EDIT - not to dismerit your post at all. But I do think if there is a place where Brady could go is the Chargers.
No because:

1. Brady is from the Bay Area, not SoCal. California is a massive state. LA to Santa Clara (Niner's stadium) is 345 miles and 5 hours apart at a minimum. That's less than the distance going from Boston to Philadelphia.

2. The LA fanbase has not embraced the Chargers. They have competition with the Rams and Raiders, both of whom have greater ties to the city.

3. LA is a basketaball town and football simply isn't as big. They already have Lebron James in that city on a more beloved team

I never made any such assumption. For all we know the offense could be better and the defense could be worse. Each season is a separate work in progress.

Also, Tom Brady doesn't look done to me.

I agree about Brady this year. He’s definitely not done. Hopefully he’s a SB winning QB in 6 weeks.

In another 10-12 months at age 43? He’ll hopefully be decent. But that’s not worth over $25 million per year to Belichick, given his 25 year HC career.

Yes. I don't know if you know this but LA and SF have a rivalry going like Boston and NYC on the East Coast. LA is not SF (even though they both have a massive homelessness problem).
No because:

1. Brady is from the Bay Area, not SoCal. California is a massive state. LA to Santa Clara (Niner's stadium) is 345 miles and 5 hours apart at a minimum. That's less than the distance going from Boston to Philadelphia.

2. The LA fanbase has not embraced the Chargers. They have competition with the Rams and Raiders, both of whom have greater ties to the city.

3. LA is a basketaball town and football simply isn't as big. They already have Lebron James in that city on a more beloved team
Interesting, I didn't know they had this kind of rivalry.

Honestly i think i still believe that if TB12 moved, no matter where, they would get a lot of attention (and tickets)... But hey, points taken, very likely that I am way wrong

3. LA is a basketball town and football simply isn't as big. They already have Lebron James in that city on a more beloved team

And they already have UCLA and USC for football. . . .

Let me ask a serious, non-rhetorical question here:

It seems pretty clear that what the Patriots did this year with Brady was give him a significant pay raise for 2019, combining that with their common technique of converting it to signing bonus for salary cap purposes (hence the auto-voiding years).

The strange thing, though, is that they also gave away the right to tag him after the contract voids (rather than, say, giving him some sort of ability to veto trades). So, if Brady walks away, the best the Patriots can get is a potential 5th(!) rounder in 2021.

So, my question is: Why give away that leverage?

Let me ask a serious, non-rhetorical question here:

It seems pretty clear that what the Patriots did this year with Brady was give him a significant pay raise for 2019, combining that with their common technique of converting it to signing bonus for salary cap purposes (hence the auto-voiding years).

The strange thing, though, is that they also gave away the right to tag him after the contract voids (rather than, say, giving him some sort of ability to veto trades). So, if Brady walks away, the best the Patriots can get is a potential 5th(!) rounder in 2021.

So, my question is: Why give away that leverage?

Not sure I understand. Brady asked for a multi-year contract, and wanted a number more aligned with where the QB market had now moved to. Pats say nothing doing since you're 42 and this is unprecedented. How about we just give you a pay raise instead since your current contract is now way under market and bring you a bit closer in line and we see how the year goes and discuss this is in March next year and go year-to-year. Brady says in that case since you're not committing to me long-term, I'll agree to that if you remove the ability to tag me.

Now they are all in wait-and-see mode for March.

Frankly pathetic handling by the Patriots. The good-faith pay-bump for Brady doesn't near compensate the lack of commitment they are showing to him. They could easily have made it a 2 year deal instead of 1 year. There was no need to let Brady become a FA.

I guess your question is why didn't Pats just tell Brady to Fck off and play his current cheap contract till the end of the year instead of giving him a pay bump and removing ability to tag. Well that would clearly end the relationship. Pats are trying to act in good faith with those gestures. I still think they have mishandled it.

Not sure I understand. Brady asked for a multi-year contract, and wanted a number more aligned with where the QB market had now moved to. Pats say nothing doing since you're 42 and this is unprecedented. How about we just give you a pay raise instead since your current contract is now way under market and bring you a bit closer in line and we see how the year goes and discuss this is in March next year and go year-to-year. Brady says in that case since you're not committing to me long-term, I'll agree to that if you remove the ability to tag me.

Now they are all in wait-and-see mode for March.

Frankly pathetic handling by the Patriots. The good-faith pay-bump for Brady doesn't near compensate the lack of commitment they are showing to him. They could easily have made it a 2 year deal instead of 1 year. There was no need to let Brady become a FA.

I guess your question is why didn't Pats just tell Brady to Fck off and play his current cheap contract till the end of the year instead of giving him a pay bump and removing ability to tag. Well that would clearly end the relationship. Pats are trying to act in good faith with those gestures. I still think they have mishandled it.
I don’t know that I’d call it pathetic, but it’s questionable. Part of the organization’s (BB’s) approach is certainly to minimize the damage of a huge dead-cap hit if you sign him to a, say, 3-year extension and it turns out he’s washed after year one. That seems reasonable. BUT, given the rest of the roster construction at this point it also doesn’t seem very smart to expect to immediately compete at the SB level post-2019 if Brady is gone and you need to commit to a more complete roster rebuild. All those guys that come in and sign for less, accept their role, etc.? That’s all over. So if you’re rolling with Brady, roll all the way and get him some more help to win now (meaning, ‘19 and ‘20). They don’t all have to be all-pros or ABs or whatever. Just actual playmakers. Not getting even a competent TE on this year’s roster is damn near criminal when you consider how heavily their offense has depended on the position for the past decade.

Anyway, as I recall Brady wanted a 3yr commitment and only got 1, it’s a little hard to believe they couldn’t have compromised on 2...worst case being that the 2020 cap was shot to hell because they had to pay Brady but couldn’t play him.

No, I'm fine with the payraise (he did just win a SB). I'm just wondering why they felt they also had to/should give up the franchise tag.

Anyway, as I recall Brady wanted a 3yr commitment and only got 1, it’s a little hard to believe they couldn’t have compromised on 2...worst case being that the 2020 cap was shot to hell because they had to pay Brady but couldn’t play him.

Why have the years void automatically then? Why not performance-based clauses?

So, Brady is clearly frustrated with how things went down this year. No Gronk, the AB tease, having all these new faces learn on the fly etc.

If the Pats don't make some major changes bringing him weapons, will Brady want to stay another season? Brady wants to win...maybe he doesn't see this as the best place for that any more.

Why have the years void automatically then? Why not performance-based clauses?
Other than as a mechanism to manipulate cap dollars, I don't know. Brady did just fail to meet all the performance-based clauses in the prior season, right? Won the SB anyway, so maybe he considered those types of clauses a non-starter this time.

I agree about Brady this year. He’s definitely not done. Hopefully he’s a SB winning QB in 6 weeks.

In another 10-12 months at age 43? He’ll hopefully be decent. But that’s not worth over $25 million per year to Belichick, given his 25 year HC career.

Brady is worth more than $25m. Come on. Look below. Do you think he deserves to sit lower than Brissett, Cousins, Carr, Smith?

Player Team Age Avg./Year Free
Agency
Russell Wilson Seahawks 31 $35,000,000 2024 UFA
Ben Roethlisberger Steelers 37 $34,000,000 2022 UFA
Aaron Rodgers Packers 36 $33,500,000 2024 UFA
Jared Goff Rams 25 $33,500,000 2025 UFA
Carson Wentz Eagles 27 $32,000,000 2025 UFA
Matt Ryan Falcons 34 $30,000,000 2024 UFA
Kirk Cousins Vikings 31 $28,000,000 2021 UFA
Jacoby Brissett Colts 27 $27,975,000 2021 UFA
Jimmy Garoppolo 49ers 28 $27,500,000 2023 UFA
Matt Stafford Lions 31 $27,000,000 2023 UFA
Derek Carr Raiders 28 $25,005,000 2023 UFA
Drew Brees Saints 40 $25,000,000 2020 Void
Alex Smith Redskins 35 $23,500,000 2023 UFA
Tom Brady Patriots 42 $23,000,000 2020 Void
Joe Flacco Broncos 34 $22,133,333 2022 Void
Nick Foles Jaguars 30 $22,000,000 2023 UFA
Eli Manning Giants 38 $21,000,000 2020 UFA
Philip Rivers Chargers 38 $20,812,500 2020 UFA
Cam Newton Panthers 30 $20,760,000 2021 UFA
Andy Dalton Bengals 32 $16,000,000 2021 UFA
Kyler Murray Cardinals 22 $8,789,661 2023 UFA
Baker Mayfield Browns 24 $8,170,745 2022 UF

If he wants 30 mil he might as well pack up his bags, he is on his way down, he isn’t a top 5 QB in this league, we have to face it, his time is up, I really don’t think he can be the Brady of two years ago.
He has been consistently bad with his throws all season, hasn’t given some of the WR decent chances.

Sure our WR receiver core isn’t strong but the way Brady been playing it will make any guys look pretty bad.

Stidham is going to be our next QB, unless we can lure Bridgewater, the kid can ball as we seen this year when Brees was injured.

Our 2020 draft is shot, this will be a two year rebuilding phase, if KVN is gone then Winovich will be the one taking over his role.

Brady is worth more than $25m. Come on. Look below. Do you think he deserves to sit lower than Brissett, Cousins, Carr, Smith?

Player Team Age Avg./Year Free
Agency
Russell Wilson Seahawks 31 $35,000,000 2024 UFA
Ben Roethlisberger Steelers 37 $34,000,000 2022 UFA
Aaron Rodgers Packers 36 $33,500,000 2024 UFA
Jared Goff Rams 25 $33,500,000 2025 UFA
Carson Wentz Eagles 27 $32,000,000 2025 UFA
Matt Ryan Falcons 34 $30,000,000 2024 UFA
Kirk Cousins Vikings 31 $28,000,000 2021 UFA
Jacoby Brissett Colts 27 $27,975,000 2021 UFA
Jimmy Garoppolo 49ers 28 $27,500,000 2023 UFA
Matt Stafford Lions 31 $27,000,000 2023 UFA
Derek Carr Raiders 28 $25,005,000 2023 UFA
Drew Brees Saints 40 $25,000,000 2020 Void
Alex Smith Redskins 35 $23,500,000 2023 UFA
Tom Brady Patriots 42 $23,000,000 2020 Void
Joe Flacco Broncos 34 $22,133,333 2022 Void
Nick Foles Jaguars 30 $22,000,000 2023 UFA
Eli Manning Giants 38 $21,000,000 2020 UFA
Philip Rivers Chargers 38 $20,812,500 2020 UFA
Cam Newton Panthers 30 $20,760,000 2021 UFA
Andy Dalton Bengals 32 $16,000,000 2021 UFA
Kyler Murray Cardinals 22 $8,789,661 2023 UFA
Baker Mayfield Browns 24 $8,170,745 2022 UF

Other than Smith, the rest had a better season than Brady.
Sure he has built a legacy, but he must be paid based on performance.
I just don’t see him being a starter on this squad.

Set your DVRs...Saturday night is Brady's last home game...it's now more obvious than ever...

So, Brady is clearly frustrated with how things went down this year. No Gronk, the AB tease, having all these new faces learn on the fly etc.

If the Pats don't make some major changes bringing him weapons, will Brady want to stay another season? Brady wants to win...maybe he doesn't see this as the best place for that any more.

Pretty sure he understands the best place for him to win another SB is with Pats. I just hope Pats realize the best QB for them to win another SB is with Brady

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe