PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I'm currently arguing Spygate w/Kurt Warner on Twitter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I in no way agree with his stance, but you guys should cut the man some slack. Think about it this way, at least he is willing to engage in an extended conversation with you about it, and seems to actually be reading the sources you are mentioning. That is more than a lot of "celebs" or athletes would give you. Honestly, I'm surprised he keeps responding, and while us Patriots fans will most likely always feel wronged to some degree by the entire witch hunt that took place, it's been awhile now, try to move on.

Oh, puulease :rolleyes:

I do think it's interesting that Warner is in favor of 2nd chances and forgiveness, but he can't move past the "taped practice" issue, which never even really happened.

Yeah, really...

Little bit of a double-standard there, Kurt?

Yeah, really...

Little bit of a double-standard there, Kurt?

yea, you'd think mr. religion would prefer to be honest. hopefully, he's not knowingly perpetuating a lie.

"thou shall not bear false witness against thy neighbor".

run that one by him on twitter.

yea, you'd think mr. religion would prefer to be honest. hopefully, he's not knowingly perpetuating a lie.

"thou shall not bear false witness against thy neighbor".

run that one by him on twitter.

Or.

"Kurt, you're a christian right.

Doesn't it say somewhere in that big book of yours that you have to forgive?".

OR something like that.

The problem is you can't prove that something didn't happen, only what did happen.

I agree he does deserve some credit for engaging a football fan, but his ignorance on the subject he's talking about, on national TV, is stunning. Sadly, he.s not alone.

Nice job by Fixit finding that story on the RAMS spying the PATRIOTS practice.

Here's a Globe story on Goodell saying no practice was taped by the Pats.

We were able to verify that there was no Rams walkthrough tape," Goodell said. "No one asked (Matt Walsh) to tape the walkthrough. He's not aware of anybody else who may have taped the walkthrough. He had not seen such a tape. He does not know of anybody who says there is a tape."

By the way, for those who believe Belichick never addressed the charges in the case, I found this link. BB actually had a lot to say.

"On the tape of the signaling that we talk about, that film usually wasn't even completed until Thursday or Friday of the following week. It was that low of a priority," he said. "In other words, the video guys had so much other stuff to do on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday getting ready for the other game, that a lot of times that film wasn't even processed until later in the week."

Asked, then, why the Patriots conducted the taping, he responded by saying: "Why do anything? Why study tendencies? Why study stances?"

In the NFL, it is commonplace for scouts to attend games of future opponents and study signals. Detailed records are kept of those signals, including which coach is delivering them.

The Patriots' videotaping of signals was deemed to cross the line, which Belichick apologized for yesterday.

Or.

"Kurt, you're a christian right.

Doesn't it say somewhere in that big book of yours that you have to forgive?".

OR something like that.

I don't think that would be the right tack:

1) Bringing up someone's religious beliefs in an argument about something else entirely=not cool, IMO. He's actually toned it down quite a bit over the years, and for that I give him much credit.

2) To bring up forgiveness would be to imply the Pats did something so major that it requires forgiveness. And Fixit's main point is the Pats didn't do anything major or worse than happens from every team on a regular basis, and certainly no where near as bad as the things that Warner and other members of the media accuse them of.

@kurt13warner says:
@Garylendsmoney A continuation of mistake... Guys that have gone 2 prison? Failed multiple drug test? Taped practices? All got 2nd chance!

@Dan_DeWitt says:
@kurt13warner At some point you're going to have to admit that the Pats never taped practices. Someone did spy on NE's SB practice, though.

@kurt13warner says:
@Dan_DeWitt really, that is why they destroyed the tapes w/o letting anyone watch them???

@Dan_DeWitt says:
@kurt13warner 1) Here's John Tomase's apology letter admitting that no such tape existed. The Noise Boston > John Tomase's Apology

@Dan_DeWitt says:
@kurt13warner 2) We know what was on the tapes, because Jay Glazer leaked one. Tapes went sideline, scoreboard for down and distance, field.

@Dan_DeWitt says:
@kurt13warner 3) Here's an article detailing how someone was spying on the Pats' practice before the SB: Who was spying on the Patriots? | Cold Hard Football Facts

@Dan_DeWitt says:
@kurt13warner You seem like a nice guy, but if I know all of this just as a fan, it's inexcusable that you and so many other media don't.

Let's see where this goes.

Excellent. You smoked him.

See how he changed his assertion? It went from "the Patriots taped practices" to "the Patriots taped games"

Even Warner knows that all teams tape games. But his and Faulk twisted brains have convinced themselves that Matt Walsh's admission that there were no taped practices was false.

Well done...though showing yourself to be smarter than Kurt Warner isn't really a huge challenge.

Didn't Goodall announce that the taping gave the pats no advantage?

Correct. The draft picks and fines were because Belichcik thumbed his nose at Goodells rule, which is what Goodell really can't stand.

This is somewhat similar to how Belichcik thumbs his nose at Goodell's insistence that Belichcik reveal which players are injured and where they are injured.

Of course now we know that Goodell's own policy has been putting players at risk thanks to coaches like Williams and Belichick was right to withhold information for his players own safety.

It'd be interesting to ask a number of national media types — Warner, Faulk, King, Breer, anyone from ESPN — to write one paragraph, 100 words or less, explaining what the Patriots actually did and for how many seasons they were found to do it. I don't think that's a test most could pass.

Ha ha Kurt Warner. This is what I remember from you in that Superbowl.

0211_large.jpg

I think there's about 100 people total in the entire world who will agree with Warner that 'spygate' is worse than what is happening with the Saints and their bounty program.

50 of them live in St.Louis, and 50 of them live in New Jersey.

You forgot to mention the other 100 that live in Pittsburgh :D

Fortunately, I for one, will NEVER,EVER let this die until I see Goodell in federal court for RICO violations...it all starts with Goodell

Roger violated Rico? You mean, Rico Suave? :eek: Does Mrs. Goodell know about this?

He has now entered my 'dislike' column. Screw that sore loser and his sanctimonious BS.

Moving this to the Practice Squad forum was a little harsh, in my humble estimation. :bricks:

Excellent work fixit, I really enjoyed reading this thread. Hopefully he will bring this idea to the attention of his bosses and they give you your 10 minutes to state your case as you have done so well doing here.

Anything relating to BB and Spygate gets NFL fans attention, and that could mean good ratings for a show discussing that.

I'd also like to use this opportunity to admonish some Pats fans for conceding that "the Pats cheated" when discussing Spygate with opposing fans. I have seen other messageboards where Pats fans otherwise defending Spygate have admitted that the Pats cheated. I emphatically object to any assertions that the Pats cheated in Spygate.

Cheat - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

"Definition of CHEAT
transitive verb
: to deprive of something valuable by the use of deceit or fraud
: to influence or lead by deceit, trick, or artifice
: to elude or thwart by or as if by outwitting <cheat death>
intransitive verb
a : to practice fraud or trickery b : to violate rules dishonestly <cheat at cards> <cheating on a test>
: to be sexually unfaithful —usually used with on <was cheating on his wife>
: to position oneself defensively near a particular area in anticipation of a play in that area <the shortstop was cheating toward second base>
— cheat·er noun
See cheat defined for English-language learners »
See cheat defined for kids »
Examples of CHEAT

The players were accused of cheating.
I had to cheat in order to solve the puzzle.
The store cheats its customers through false advertising.
They cheated him out of a fair deal.
a heroin addict who has cheated death many times"

Cheating is a charged word with very specific connotations. To say that the Pats cheated is to say that they did something that unfairly tilted the outcome of the game in the Pats favor.

There is no evidence that the Pats did anything of the sort, and even Goodell admitted that there was no evidence that the Pats used any information gained from cameras to affect any game that was being taped.

Stealing signals is not against the rules, as the efforts to conceal them by coaches during the game, and the constant changing of signals periodically to protect against their possible discovery, show that coaches are well aware that the effort is there, and the possibility of their compromise always exists.

Interestingly, when the Eagles traded Kevin Kolb to the Cardinals, it never occurred to them to change their signals which Kolb was very familiar with, and the Cardinals used that knowledge to beat the Eagles. Wasn't much said about that one, was there?

As has been shown many times since Spygate, the Pats were guilty of taping from an unauthorized location, and ignoring Goodell's decree.

That is a far cry from cheating, no matter what opposing fans and players may want to think. If an opposing fan wants to discuss Spygate, then that is well and good, but NEVER give them a false hammer to use by admitting something that isn't true. The Pats did NOT cheat.

Cheating is a charged word which indicates nefarious actions. Some fans like Rats and Steelers fans cling to the charge because it lets them believe that their failures were the result of underhanded tactics which caused the Pats to overcome their superior teams and come out of the game with a win.

Don't let them discredit the Pats accomplishments by accepting their charges of cheating, when that is not the case. Now using steroids and coaches tripping opposing players near the sidelines.....well THAT might well be cheating.

Interesting in this vein, I think it that as more time goes by since Spygate, and the Pats continue to win, I am seeing more emphasis on JI and GG of the Pats success being due to BB getting lucky with a 6th round pick that turned in to a HOF QB.

The charge is different, but the goal is the same; to make themselves feel better about their team's ineptitude and lack of success. As long as you can desperately cling to whatever canard that you can which perpetuates the unworthiness of your hated opponent, you will not be forced to swallow your ego, and admit your inferiority to your "unworthy" overlord.

Last edited:
Moving this to the Practice Squad forum was a little harsh, in my humble estimation. :bricks:

It can still be discussed, here. Its' not closed. We have moved many ******* threads here and that is where they belong.

If people want to continue to :spygate: that's fine, it can be done here. I don't think it's "harse" to be consistent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back