PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If you could ask Josh to change one thing about how he calls a game, what would it be?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our WRs are going to get single-covered, so we need them and Cam to get more tuned into looking for and completing the quick shallow crosses, often coming from legal on-the-line pick plays, with run-after-catch. You don't need blazing speed to become a clear target if you get initial leverage.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it...Dress up the formations as necessary, but continue to run what's been working until the defense stops them.

Run more bunch formations, if only to try to spring one of our "weapons" loose during the however-brief confusion.
I am not sure our offense can do that anymore with Cam. He does not have Brady's level of football intellect. I've noticed at the snap there is very little motion and guys moving around like it was before and that is because that is not Cam's game. He does not audible much if at all. I think simplifying is actually the way go for Cam because he is a great athlete. The only downside is we become more predictable.

He runs on first down more than any other OC in football....would love to see him occasionally change that up!
Where did you get that stat? What time period does it cover?

The one thing I'd like him to change about how he calls a game is to have a constant live feed showing him flipping off the GDT every time he calls in another play.

I'd tell him that for any passing play, the ball must travel beyond the line of scrimmage. On 3rd or 4th down passing plays, the ball MUST travel beyond the first down marker. Yea, screen passes sometimes work, but it seems like a lot of the passes behind the line get blown up too often or passes short of the first down marker end up staying short.
This is one of the only gripes for me. It’s one thing when it’s 3rd and 30 and just trying to make something happen to get a chunk before likely punting. Hate seeing the 3rd and 8-10 yards, and the back gets it 5 yards behind the line, and the design is to make the first guy miss in space just to get back to the LOS.

This is one of the only gripes for me. It’s one thing when it’s 3rd and 30 and just trying to make something happen to get a chunk before likely punting. Hate seeing the 3rd and 8-10 yards, and the back gets it 5 yards behind the line, and the design is to make the first guy miss in space just to get back to the LOS.
Or an outside run to the short side of the field. :rolleyes::evil::mad:

so damn true. I swear it irks me to no end with the captain hindsight playcalling couch potatoes. Vs Seattle Cam running out of shotgun was the wrong playcall even though it was almost 100% effective up to that point. If he made it the narrative is very different, “they put the ball in their best players hands and dared them to stop it.”

Running on 1st down is a bad thing now. Only time its right for some fans is when it nets 5-10 yards. Never mind it helps set up playaction where you can disquise whether its going to be a run or pass on 2nd or 3rd down.
Btw up until week 3 the Pats are either the number 1 or 2 rushing team in the league. So lets change that and stop running on 1st down.
Disagree! It’s a little different running that play in the 2nd qtr when the D isn’t sure what’s coming and the offense is more spread. That last play in Seattle was Telegraphed and with no one wide they stuffed the box.

I think I would be a little wild and ask him to send Harry and Byrd out long on the first play and chuck it. What have we to lose maybe a down and if successful suddenly the other team has to think the Pats have other possibilities. It would definitely open up the run game.

Other than too many 3rd down give-up runs, I don't think there's a lot to criticize. There's a lack of deep passing, but I think that's down to just a flat lack of receiver talent. McD is basically making the most of what he has, the receiving weapons just stink as a group once you get past Edelman.

When you're rolling on the other team, don't bring in your jumbo set on a 2nd and 1 and then run it. Leave the offense on the field, snap it fast, and keep the momentum going (sorry, I hold the second Giants Super Bowl loss against McDaniels (I'm referring to the play before the Welker drop)). I like McDaniels otherwise but I still feel that loss to the Giants is on him!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back