PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If you could ask Josh to change one thing about how he calls a game, what would it be?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it...Dress up the formations as necessary, but continue to run what's been working until the defense stops them.

Run more bunch formations, if only to try to spring one of our "weapons" loose during the however-brief confusion.

And for feck's sake, stop being cute during 3rd/short situations, especially when you're on the edge of FG territory.

P.S.: These are not issues strictly from this season, but from more than a couple of the seasons since his return here in 2012...

Last edited:
Sometimes White is phase out of the gameplan for some unexplained reason.

It seems like Mickey D has so many toys that he does not use them all. We have likely seen the last huge game of Buckhead in NE.

Everyone and their mother knows when he calls a running play and it’s successful...he will immediately call another just like it or similar. I get the premise: if it ain’t broke don’t fix it...but it’s usually broke the 2nd time around because everyone sees it coming.

And cut back on the horizontal plays...such as passes behind the line of scrimmage.

Last edited:
Spread opponents out, don't wait to use toss plays, use draw runs, use screens heavily like Carolina used Cam with McCaffrey and with the WR's, feed N'Keal a steady diet of targets instead of force feeding Jules just because he's the grand old man (need Jules to last), trust Cam passing but make his life easier by calling quick release dink dunk plays, shallow crossing routes, if N'Keal is matched up one on one feed him jump balls, use Byrd heavily in the comeback game and get him at least 2-3 deep shots a game to keep the defense honest, get the rookie TE's in there already... and most of all tell Cam not to get lazy throwing off his back foot and to step into his throws to stop airmailing them so high above receivers heads or behind them.

Sometimes White is phase out of the gameplan for some unexplained reason.

It seems like Mickey D has so many toys that he does not use them all. We have likely seen the last huge game of Buckhead in NE.

burkhead gets used until he gets hurt.....which is often

Not so much of a McDaniels thing, but my biggest gripe of the offense is that Bill, seemingly ever since 4th and 2, hasn't gone for it on 4th as much as the mystics and statistics say that he should.

Last edited:
I think McDaniels should call the game so those dedicated fans have a very high predictability of what the next play is going to be. I mean, sure, the opposing coaches and players might know what's coming as well and even if the play doesn't quite do enough to move the ball, he (McDaniels) could have the satisfaction of the fanbase applauding his ability to make the right call?

I think for 3 weeks in, it's been fairly diverse and Cam has done a great job of running the offense (better than I would have expected). It's a new team and they are still figuring it out as they play. I'm pleasantly surprised and we've had (2) 200 yard rushing games. Seems we can only get better and doing well with the weapons we have.

It has been better this season, but the design of our run game needs to threaten the edges more often. And I don't mean more jet sweeps, the rb needs to be a threat to bounce it out and that will open up the gut more just as we saw in the Raider game when they weren't sure if an outside pitch was coming or not.

Josh is one of the very best OC's in the league. Not sure we keyboard jockeys are in a position to judge, even those of us who may have blocked a punt against Malden back in the 70's.

More play action....lots more!!!!

And for my own personal pleasure, let’s see Cam run a naked bootleg like Grogan used to

I don't care that sometimes it works but running on 3rd and 5+ is infuriating. I get mad as soon as I see the ball handed off and I am mad the rest of the play even if it's a 70 yard TD
Yeah, not a fan of of the inside draw on 3rd and a billion

I have to first give him credit for being much much better compared to 2005 when he first started as interim OC. He's grown a lot. And learned how to make in-game adjustments. And much less predictable or stubborn than 15 years ago. I'd say he's one of the better OCs in the game now.

Still I wish the following:
- Don't pigeon-hole Cam Newton into this black running QB who can only throw 20 times a game while taking 10+ running hits a game. He isn't Jacoby Brissett, don't just use only the Jacoby playbook. Cam Newton can throw at an elite level and showed with Norv Turner he can be an elite pocket passer who can attack the medium and deep parts of the field.
- Show he can develop a receiving tight end. He inherited Rob Gronkowski after Bill O'Brien drafted and developed Gronk, Edelman, Hernandez. Even with totally depleted WRs in 05 and 06 he still didn't elevate TE Watson into offensive game plans. Didn't develop any TEs while in Denver or St Louis. Hasn't given athletic freak Asiasi a chance yet, at all, through 3 games.
- Not be so one dimensional on RBs. Sony Michel can catch too, but it seems he's only relegated, when White is available, to only running the ball which makes it easy for defenses to key in on tendencies. Fully unlocking both Michel and White (and Harris) can help Cam who is used to this from Carolina via McCaffrey in the backfield.
- Spoon feeding N'Keal Harry these hand-offs and 2 yard passes, isn't helping anybody.
- In general, maybe lay off the strong draft recommendations to use high draft picks on RBs or WRs. Have a little humility that whatever draft evaluation is happening when giving recommendations to Belichick (who listens to his staff), that he doesn't have a good record on high draft picks at RB and WR who end up being busts or drafted far too early.

You know Brissett is much more of a pocket passer than Cam, right? It's just kind of funny that you call McDaniels out for pigeonholing a black QB and then do exactly that in the same sentence.

We saw Brissett run a lot for us because he was new to the system, which could end up being the reason we ran Cam a lot in September.

Two words: Pistol Formation
Cam has a lot of experience with it, and it throws in another wrinkle for defenses to worry about. Great for a mobile QB that can also pass.
And throw in more Pony - two back sets. We have better RBs than WRs, so let's use them more.

He runs on first down more than any other OC in football....would love to see him occasionally change that up!

Send Michel out to the flat more often and stop running that 3rd and long draw once a game

Fewer WR screens. These plays depend upon the other WR making a good block, which doesn't happen often enough. You have mobile O-linemen--use RB screens more often.

I would like, for once, for Skippy McDaniels to call a pass on 1st and goal. I swear, going back eons McDaniels calls a run 9/10 on 1st and goal - whether it's from the 1 inch line or from the 9 1/2 yard line. It's always run, run, run...

but if the play doesnt work or he throws a pick, everyone will be castrating him for not running it in

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back