PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If Wolf picks Daniels and he busts, then JJ becomes a star…

Yeah hitting spectacularly on so many other picks helps buffer the one spectacular failure
I wonder if Shanahan had more influence than usual because he’s an offense guy and it was a high 1.

This! this is why I am so scared for next week. If the PATS don't get it right...how far does it set us back?? Do they "take the bag"? fix other problems and take a lower tier guy?? and 1-4 all hit?? we just don't know..
San Francisco blew the Trey Lance pick, a year later they took Brock Purdy and he pulled the front office’s fat from the fire.

It depends, but a bad QB draft pick early can certainly get people fired.

lol everyone thinks the Patriots are trading 3, I swear if we trade down less for anything less then 4 1sts or Justin Jefferson and a 1st and second I’m going to all our front office clowns. And Wolf is no clown.

lol everyone thinks the Patriots are trading 3, I swear if we trade down less for anything less then 4 1sts or Justin Jefferson and a 1st and second I’m going to all our front office clowns. And Wolf is no clown.
Agreed they’re likely not trading out of 3, but if they really want Maye and he’s gone, I could see them trading back a couple of spots if Arizona and Chargers are positioning themselves to get Marvin Harrison Jr.

The Pat’s would be smart to take that trade, add another 2nd and take JJ McCarthy at 4 or 5.

Agreed they’re likely not trading out of 3, but if they really want Maye and he’s gone, I could see them trading back a couple of spots if Arizona and Chargers are positioning themselves to get Marvin Harrison Jr.

The Pat’s would be smart to take that trade, add another 2nd and take JJ McCarthy at 4 or 5.
If they don't like Daniels/Maye (whoever is left)... trade back a few spots and take JJ (IF that is their guy). Leaves them with an extra pick in 30's and come away with LT/WR/QB...If they have reason to believe their "guy" is there at 4,5,6,7 then why not pick up extra capital and draft him later...

If the Pats miss out on the next star QB, Bob will do what he’s done in the past and fire who he can to deflect blame.

If the Pats miss out on the next star QB, Bob will do what he’s done in the past and fire who he can to deflect blame.
He had the last coach for over 20 years and has only hired two since he bought the team, WTF are you talking about?

After moving on from BB and developing a new identity, the LAST thing I want to see is Kraft determining who the Pats draft.

What did I miss? Where is the new identity? In FA we signed all of the players BB drafted (no new identity), only signed FAs that are mid to lower level guys (no new identity), and resigned our own guys like Anderson at cheaper deals (no new identity). Where are you seeing a new identity?

Two concerns. Maye looked like sh-t his last regular season game against NC State. Not a powerhouse team.

His regression this past season is being swept under the rug. ACC is not the SEC.

And the JJ hype train is thin gruel stuff. He admittedly wasn’t asked to do a lot. His production was barely over 150 yards a game after cheating ringleader, Conor Stallions, was fired from the team mid season.

Stallions was the guy who scouted opponents and learned their sideline signals. He was able to signal to the Michigan DC and OC what the call was in real time.

That huge advantage along with the talent discrepancy in Michigan’s favor for most games put McCarthy in a great position.

He is a winner and had to make plays against teams in the playoffs. Not many. Just a few.

But he sure didn’t do that in the same position two years ago.

Maye looked like a franchise QB…two seasons ago. JJM and his tiny 9” hands may be Mac Jones 2.0. Better arm but not the touch in short to intermediate passes.

The lack of consensus in the organization if the reports are true is a sign of this.

We should trade back. Take a less sexy QB pick like Spencer Rattler. Accumulate talent. We’re lucky that our weakest positions, OT and WR, is strong this year.

After moving on from BB and developing a new identity, the LAST thing I want to see is Kraft determining who the Pats draft.
And he won't.

However, he rightly fired BB after his failure, after giving him an extra year because of his long time success. Surely, the GM should have been fired after the 2022 season (or even after the decision to hire Patricia and Judge to run the Offense).

After failure, the new GM/HC decision makers will be fired. The OPEN question is how much of least does Kraft give to those decision-makers.

AN ASIDE
When should an owner fire a GM? The GM should be in charge. But, at some point, the owner fires failed GM's, as he should.

who cares what kraft wants

i would lean mcadoo > Wolf and then the rest
Kraft should have no say if I was Wolf
Wolf does not even have a position set in stone
If he picks a QB that Kraft wants and that QB fails. He will be gone and Kraft will sell him down the river
Let’s not forget. Kraft comes across as a real nice guy. When the ****e hits the fan he sold out Brady in Deflategate and BB on the Dynasty hit job
He wants his resume to be squeaky clean for business and possible HOF

Did not see this before I posted
More it less said the same

You mean the echo chamber? BB at his best, pre 2015 (the year he demonstrably goofed in a big way drafting Stanford’s unathletic Jordan Richards in the second round ), would not treat the echo chamber with respect. I really liked that about him.

But he lost his mojo and then his confidence in the draft. Overcompensating with likely bust BoneyT out of Baylor after the N’Keal Harry catastrophe. And then drafting Mac Jones when it seemed to go against his better judgment as witnessed by his being unimpressed with Jones’s pro day.
Jordan Richards drove 35 GOT DANG miles to avoid a toll an donchu FERGIT it, Baw!

(or however far it was)

And I'm sorry but every time I see the name Trey Lance I think of the character Trey from Gran Torino and I'd post a youtube link but I'm not sure it would pass community guidelines, pretty much anywhere.

Two concerns. Maye looked like sh-t his last regular season game against NC State. Not a powerhouse team.

His regression this past season is being swept under the rug. ACC is not the SEC.

And the JJ hype train is thin gruel stuff. He admittedly wasn’t asked to do a lot. His production was barely over 150 yards a game after cheating ringleader, Conor Stallions, was fired from the team mid season.

Stallions was the guy who scouted opponents and learned their sideline signals. He was able to signal to the Michigan DC and OC what the call was in real time.

That huge advantage along with the talent discrepancy in Michigan’s favor for most games put McCarthy in a great position.

He is a winner and had to make plays against teams in the playoffs. Not many. Just a few.

But he sure didn’t do that in the same position two years ago.

Maye looked like a franchise QB…two seasons ago. JJM and his tiny 9” hands may be Mac Jones 2.0. Better arm but not the touch in short to intermediate passes.

The lack of consensus in the organization if the reports are true is a sign of this.

We should trade back. Take a less sexy QB pick like Spencer Rattler. Accumulate talent. We’re lucky that our weakest positions, OT and WR, is strong this year.
Please read the cons on the scouting report for this QB and tell me if they should be taken in the 1st round:

Weaknesses:
  • Gunslinger who can be reckless with the football
  • Has some mechanical issues to fix
  • Throws too many passes back across the field
  • Can sail deep balls too far
  • Will need to learn working under center
  • Will have to work on footwork with making drops from under center
  • Will need to learn working a NFL huddle
  • Will need to improve footwork
  • Needs development for a pro-style offense
  • College offense ran lot of plays he won’t run in the NFL
  • Needs to take more check downs
  • Needs to work on staying in and being comfortable in the pocket
Now guess who is this QB?

If you guessed Patrick Mahomes then you now understand the point of this exercise. There is no QB prospect in the entire world without his share of warts. How they finally turn out is really difficult to predict. But usually the strengths end up being more important than the weaknesses as long as that player has the dedication and work ethic to work on improving those weaknesses.

Scouting report source: 2017 NFL Draft Scouting Report: Pat Mahomes – WalterFootball

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back