PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If we lose the next 4 games

Status
Not open for further replies.
Briz I don't know you so basically I have no idea of whether you played team sports. For all I know you were the second-highest Heismann Trophy vote-getter in some year or another, got drafter by Cinci, and couldn't face that future. Or, you could be a guy who never played anything, or you might be someone who played around in the back yard and in youth leagues, like me, then hung it up.

As you can see above, I'm not some kind of jock king. Far from it.

But this suggestion of rooting for losing? It makes even the least jock-kingly among us want to say, "Have you ever actually PLAYED football?"

Now I know, like I said, that you might in fact have a great deal of pride in what turns out to be a distinctive football resume... but playing to lose? Total non-starter.

Especially if some of these guys will be back. You take that pride with you into next year, if you make the most of a bad situation. A few wins, and there are many available on the schedule, and a break or two, and this team exceeds expectations, not only getting into the playoffs, but winning a game or two. My serious expectation is that this team does NOT turn around like the 07 Giants. My expectation is that they miss the playoffs, or barely squeek in, then possibly win in the wild-card round. After that, well, let's just say whatever level of confidence we drum up -- and we will -- will be founded on shaky ground at best. But you never know.

4-0 in December may just get us in, and it's not over til its over.

As for much-beloved draft pick slots and draftable individuals, the Pats never take who you want them to anyway :)... after all we ended up with plain ol' Jerod Mayo instead of every other linebacker our local savants were drooling over. (If we'd only gotten Vernon Gholston!!! Tragedy!) And think what we could have done with Robert Gallery...

The guys who are already here are proven guys in a bad year, not some disposeable resource who understand "it's just business, let's tank this season." Uh-uh.

Root for the worst draft pick we can get, dude. I know it's counterintuitive, but it also means the team is winning.

Maybe Herm should have added an obvious corollary: "... NOT to win the draft!"

congrutulations for beating your head against a wall err...briz.

Briz, I'm all for the higher draft pick and loading up for what should be a titanic 2009 with TB back and SD's high #2, but think about this for a minute. Realistically, we want the Pats to finish incredibly strong these last 4 games, whether they sneak in the POs or not, a strong finish and strong games from Cassel will help our 'Tag and Trade' for a stud pick without tanking, you hear what I'm saying ?

The guy I want is Malcolm Jenkins and we should have the ammo to move up for him even dealing away the high #2 from SD and our lower end #1. Jenkins will be that shutdown CB we so desperately need in this defense.

Last edited by a moderator:
Briz - even if you don't believe this team can win the Superbowl why not afford the young players and rookies on this team to get some playoff experience versus tanking it altogether.

Getting one of these guys is more important than winning the rest of the games, squeeking into the playoffs, getting bounced in the Wildcard or Divisional, and ending up with the 20th-25th pick in the draft.

Wait, so getting a better place in line (in turn, paying more as well) for a pool of unproven players is more important than giving this team a shot to reach the pinacle of sports in a 3-4 game post-season?

even if we did make the playoffs we arent good enough this year to win the SB.

With this logic, when we were 5-5 in 2001, we should have lost the remainder of our games as we obviously did not look as elite as the Pittsburgh Steelers or St. Louis Rams at that point in the season.

Yeah so we defied all odds and won the Super Bowl, as the Giants last year, as the Steelers two years before that, etc. - but we could of had a higher draft pick in 2002! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Now this pathetic thread can fester in the toilet where it belongs. Great move, mods!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes