PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If Thuney is traded here’s the team

Status
Not open for further replies.
They're $50M over the 2021 cap now, and that's assuming the cap goes up by ~$17M.

But, the Eagles have the cap room to sign Thuney this season. Philadelphia Eagles Salary Cap | Over the Cap

Assuming the Eagles win the 2020 Super Bowl, would the Thuney signing have been smart? Absolutely.

In regards to 2021, Howie Roseman is a very sharp NFL GM managing the cap and roster.Roseman is easily top 5 in the NFL.

Tell PHI we'll trade him straight up for SB 52..

It is all a wet dream for PatsFans. Don't you know that we have no All-Pros and our drafts suck? No-one wants our players because we can not draft based on how many All-Pros we have!! No-one wants Thuney, they all want others. We are lost without Chandler Jones. We are lost without Trey Flowers.

Thuney is staying. The Pats will be fine. It will be fun to find out if Sony really sucks as a receiver or if Brady just refused to pass to him. Does N'Keal blow or did Brady freeze him out? These questions and more will be answered in the 2020 season.

Last edited:
So the Eagles will trade away a second round pick and give out a big extension while being 51 millions or so in the red for 2021 (minus whatever they can move over from this year) ? While the pandemic is making any cap projections for the next 1-2 years pretty difficult ?

Even if they have now a hole in their OL, going after Thuney doesn't make much sense for practical reasons.

So the Eagles will trade away a second round pick and give out a big extension while being 51 millions or so in the red for 2021 (minus whatever they can move over from this year) ? While the pandemic is making any cap projections for the next 1-2 years pretty difficult ?

Even if they have now a hole in their OL, going after Thuney doesn't make much sense for practical reasons.

You’re right. Eagles don’t have the cap space and I don’t think Thuney is on the block. I think Thuney stays put and they use other means to reduce cap space. If they can sign him, they will. He’s one of the best offensive linemen in the NFL. Don’t believe me? Watch SB 53 again and isolate on him. He made AD look ordinary and pretty much neutralized anyone else.

You’re right. Eagles don’t have the cap space and I don’t think Thuney is on the block. I think Thuney stays put and they use other means to reduce cap space. If they can sign him, they will. He’s one of the best offensive linemen in the NFL. Don’t believe me? Watch SB 53 again and isolate on him. He made AD look ordinary and pretty much neutralized anyone else.
Sure does he take a step or 2 back on technique without Scar being here?

The problem we have is Thuney is only signed for 1 season at too rich of a salary. We're not extending him at that rate, but that's what he'll demand. So our relationship with him is not going to last, it's at most this coming season. And given that, BB is looking to move him sooner than later when he gets his first good offer.

The problem we have is Thuney is only signed for 1 season at too rich of a salary. We're not extending him at that rate, but that's what he'll demand. So our relationship with him is not going to last, it's at most this coming season. And given that, BB is looking to move him sooner than later when he gets his first good offer.
I don't see Bill making any guard the highest paid OL in the NFL

I can't see anyone ponying up a second round pick for Thuney. He will play out his tag and leave via FA after the year.

Remember BB traded Collins for a thrid round comp pick (granted a year ealier than the Pats would have gotten if he stayed). So any dreams of getting anything for Thuney are just that, dreams

I can't see anyone ponying up a second round pick for Thuney. He will play out his tag and leave via FA after the year.

Remember BB traded Collins for a thrid round comp pick (granted a year ealier than the Pats would have gotten if he stayed). So any dreams of getting anything for Thuney are just that, dreams
Protecting the QB is the main thing in the NFL especially one as fragile as Wentz has been.
Eagles would happily give up a second to land a top guard and protect Wentz

Kempski (one of the Philly beat guys) just called it a silly rumor that you can ignore in one of his mailbag questions:

Because the Eagles are currently projected to be way over the 2021 cap, they're going to have to roll as much money from 2020 into 2021 as possible. Even if the Patriots were just like, "Hey guys, you can just have Thuney, don't even bother giving us a draft pick for him," the Eagles still probably couldn't take on his contract.

a longer version of his thoughts available at Mailbag: How much younger will the Eagles be in 2020?

No, I think Bill would probably want a 3rd next year and a 3rd the year after Philly's comp from letting him go next spring. Philly rents him for a year for the playoff run for a 3rd rd pick. I can then see Bill making a trade for OJ Howard for a 4th and sign Kline

No, I think Bill would probably want a 3rd next year and a 3rd the year after Philly's comp from letting him go next spring. Philly rents him for a year for the playoff run for a 3rd rd pick.

Philly doesn't have the money to pay Thuney the franchise tag.

As the Eagles beat guy said in his mailbag they couldn't even afford him if the Pats were giving him away for free. They are at -50M (based on non COVID affected cap projections) for next season and are trying to move over as much of the ~20M in cap space they have right now (which will get decreased even further through the season by 5-7M).

There is no way at all to fit Thuney in as a one year rental. Not on the franchise tag.

I can then see Bill making a trade for OJ Howard for a 4th and sign Kline

I don't get the obsession with Howard. At this point there is no reason to think he would be able to contribute more than Keane or Asiasi.[/QUOTE]

I don't get the obsession with Howard. At this point there is no reason to think he would be able to contribute more than Keane or Asiasi.
Surely you can't be serious...

I can then see Bill making a trade for OJ Howard for a 4th and sign Kline
Howard isn't going anywhere. Gronk wasn't brought in to make Howard expendable. Gronk doesn't have to be a full time pass catcher as he's not that guy anymore. Howard and Brate will keep Gronk fresh throughout the season, especially after taking a year off. He'll still be one of Brady's top red zone threats and pick up key 3rd downs. Having 3 capable TE's is a huge advantage for any team. And it would be foolish at this point to trade a guy on his rookie contract.

This reminds me of last year where the board wanted the Pats to trade Jonathon Jones so badly. :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back