PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

if hes willing to be a roleplayer, could we use Randy Moss?

Status
Not open for further replies.
How did I know the Moss threads would start the first time the offense doesn't score 30 points? Give it a rest.

I normally respect your posts, but I feel that you're way off here. I don't think it has anything to do with the Patriots not scoring 30 points. The receivers were getting beat up and could not beat the corners on man coverage. If you look at all the important losses since Randy left, that's been one of the main reasons why. I love our diversified offense, but there is no denying that the Pats don't currently have a consistent big-play threat right now and defenses are keying in on that.

Go back and watch the game again. There were plays that the O-Line gave Brady adequate time, and he still could not get the ball to anyone. Dallas has physical corners and that's what our receivers struggle with. Chad was supposed to solve that, but we see what's going on with him. Randy would somewhat solve that issue. He would also open things up for Gronk, Hern, and Welker even more. He would be good for this offense, IMHO.

I seriously doubt that Belichick expected Ochocinco to be an elite WR. I can almost guarantee you that if the Pats brought Moss back, the only elite WR they would still have is Welker.

Moss sucked last year here, in Minnesota, and in Tennessee. The guy is done. Let's move on. Rather trade for Brandon Lloyd than bring back Moss.

Agreed, and that's the point I was trying to make. I only responded here because I didn't want to make my own "we need a receiver thread"

deargod.jpeg

ahahahaha this thread's crazy, Branden lloyd talk maybe but moss a role player
ahaha

I normally respect your posts, but I feel that you're way off here. I don't think it has anything to do with the Patriots not scoring 30 points. The receivers were getting beat up and could not beat the corners on man coverage. If you look at all the important losses since Randy left, that's been one of the main reasons why. I love our diversified offense, but there is no denying that the Pats don't currently have a consistent big-play threat right now and defenses are keying in on that.

Go back and watch the game again. There were plays that the O-Line gave Brady adequate time, and he still could not get the ball to anyone. Dallas has physical corners and that's what our receivers struggle with. Chad was supposed to solve that, but we see what's going on with him. Randy would somewhat solve that issue. He would also open things up for Gronk, Hern, and Welker even more. He would be good for this offense, IMHO.

What can Moss even bring to the table. From what I saw last year was not much except Brady staring him down and forcing him the ball that he cannot fight for anymore.

Also, one game isn't a trend. Rob Ryan came in with a great gameplan to stop the Pats. The Pats still had three receivers with six or more receptions and 68 or more yards. Who cares if two of them are TEs? It isn't like the Pats didn't have receivers catching balls.

Lastly, if the Pats want to get another receiver, Brandon Lloyd who knows the offense and is still productive is a better option than Moss at this point. Moss is done. He cannot deal with a back up role. The argument is useless at this point.

maybe "elite" was the wrong word, but Belichick made the trade for ocho because he thought he could produce and be a bigger threat than Brandon tate was....theres no other reason why he would trade for someone like that....theres no other reason why he was also looking to trade for Brandon Lloyd...we need another playmaker at WR

you look at the loss against the Jets, the win today and our smaller WR's tended to have problems getting open against the corners.

Moss KNOWS the system, seems to regret his actions from last year...and if he came here probably could produce right away and offer another threat on offense...we also save a draft pick we would have to give up going after others.

and apparantly moss is willing to return to the NFL
Randy Moss Willing To Return Under The Right Circumstances - SBNation.com

I have an idea. How about Lebron James. Seriously, think about it. He's 6'8", 245 and has enough speed to get down the field. Send him on a fly route every play and have Brady just chuck it to him four times a game. That'll take the top off the D.

I have an idea. How about Lebron James. Seriously, think about it. He's 6'8", 245 and has enough speed to get down the field. Send him on a fly route every play and have Brady just chuck it to him four times a game. That'll take the top off the D.

:)... :D.....:rofl:

Moss is RETIRED. Even if he would agree to comeback (he wouldn't), he'd have to take a vet min 1 year deal (he wouldn't), he would have to agree to be a limited roll-player (he wouldn't), and even if he did all that, he'd have to actually stay out of trouble (he wouldn't).

Now, assuming all that goes right, there's still one big problem: He's lost at least a step or two, possibly most of his game. He stopped jumping/fighting for the ball, his routes got sloppy, no more going across the middle, he was losing the line-of-scrimmage battle, and he wasn't getting any separation anymore. His only use would be drawing double/triple teams, which stopped happening and certainly won't happen if he were to come back.

It's OVER. Enough with these threads.

Last edited:
What can Moss even bring to the table. From what I saw last year was not much except Brady staring him down and forcing him the ball that he cannot fight for anymore.

I sometimes wonder if people will say anything just to prove a point. Randy Moss didn't want to play for the sorry teams that he played for (Vikings and Titans) so he tanked it. It was the same thing he did in Oakland before coming to the Patriots and lighting up the league. He basically talked himself out of NE. Having nothing left, as you seem to suggest, had nothing to do with him no longer being in a Patriots uniform.

Also, one game isn't a trend. Rob Ryan came in with a great gameplan to stop the Pats. The Pats still had three receivers with six or more receptions and 68 or more yards. Who cares if two of them are TEs? It isn't like the Pats didn't have receivers catching balls.

One game? Did you watch the loss to the Jets in the playoffs? Did you watch the game against Cleveland last season? When teams come up and challenge the receivers, it causes all kinds of problems for the Patriots' offense. What is your defense for when Brady actually had all day to throw the ball and still ended up taking a sack, throwing the ball away, or getting knocked down? A receiver who could create separation would negate that. There were a few plays where Brady just had to throw it into tight coverage. Heck, the game-winning TD was as tight as it gets. We're very fortunate that Brady is as accurate as he is, or those plays don't happen.

Lastly, if the Pats want to get another receiver, Brandon Lloyd who knows the offense and is still productive is a better option than Moss at this point. Moss is done. He cannot deal with a back up role. The argument is useless at this point.

Though I don't completely disagree with this statement, there is nothing you can say to convince me that he knows the offense better than Randy. I don't care what kind of offense is being run in Denver, Randy still gets the advantage here by a long shot. You don't know what Moss would be willing to do to play again. Just because you think he's done doesn't mean he's done. Again, there were plenty of people who thought the man was done in Oakland. How did that turn out?

In the end, this is just debate. No matter who the Patriots suit up on Sunday, it won't be because of your opinions or mine. The team sits atop the AFC East at 5-1 (should be 6-0). I'm happy with what we have, but you always want to see improvement.

Last edited:
Not that it means anything but I find it interesting that Randy is currently in New England(have a friend who lives near his Rhode Island home). Maybe he is visiting his buddies Kevin and Vince during their bye week. Maybe he has business here. Probably just a coincidence but man would it be funny if something happened and Felger's head exploded:D

I think watching the game today, it was obvious that the patriots could use another big play target and a deep threat...especially when defenses controlled

No. It was NOT "obvious", quite the contrary.
NFW!
I'm DONE with Brady's obsession with forcing balls to a declining (happens to everyone) Moss.
There was a reason that (a) Moss was traded away, (b) he failed at Minn (c) he was not big with the Tits

Last edited:
Forget him.

The only question regarding Moss is how much money he wants. He would come back, but I think his ego might not let him take the vet minimum. I remember that last year it was reported that the Patrots would've considered bringing Moss back if he cleared waivers, but not for the same salary.

No. It was NOT "obvious", quite the contrary.
NFW!
I'm DONE with Brady's obsession with forcing balls to a declining (happens to everyone) Moss.
There was a reason that (a) Moss was traded away, (b) he failed at Minn (c) he was not big with the Tits

well, he talked his way out of new england...im not so sure that he failed at Minn and the Titans because of declining talents....the guy just clearly didnt want to play for those teams and was dogging it out there and regretted..it was evident in his press conference after the Pats win over the Vikes.

considering how branch's production jumped when he came from seattle to New england I would think that moss could produce here

well, he talked his way out of new england...im not so sure that he failed at Minn and the Titans because of declining talents....the guy just clearly didnt want to play for those teams and was dogging it out there and regretted..it was evident in his press conference after the Pats win over the Vikes.

considering how branch's production jumped when he came from seattle to New england I would think that moss could produce here

Do you need reminding of Moss' last games production here?
Jets game, Miami game.
Yes, "Obviously" you do.

Last edited:

Agreed. We all know Moss isn't the same player from 07'. However I highly doubt he was finished despite the numbers. Did anybody think he was finished when he whored Revis on that 37 yard TD.

Did anybody think he was finished in his first game with the Vikes when he had 81 yards & TD in a close.

He was fine with the Pats & Vikes physically. Now he was terrible with the Titans but he clearly checked out mentally by then.

Having said all of that. He would be playing in the NFL this year if the right team offered the right money.

New England is the right team but they aint offering anything more then the vet minimum.

Did anybody pay attention to Bradys words in that welcome him back with open arms stuff. I vividly remember him saying " I dont know where Randy's head is at".

If he takes the vet minimum then that means he wants to play. He aint on anybody's roster so he doesn't.

:deadhorse:

Last edited:
Status