PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If healthy, the 2014 Patriots defense has no weak links

Status
Not open for further replies.
They may get DL help from draft. FA seem to be drying up

Actually, we usually carry 9 defensive linemen if the defense has 25 players (there could be more or less). In my opinion, we need an upgrade over Vellano and Bequette. One needs to be a pass-rusher to replace Carter on the 53.

CONCLUSION
We need nine defensive linemen. There are many, many situations and Belichick likes positional flexibility.

DEFENSIVE TACKLE (4)
We have Kelly, Jones, Siliga, Armstead, Vellano. Folks can judge whether an upgrade is a distant third to the other positions.

DEFENSIVE END (5)
We have Ninkovich, Jones, Bequette, Buchanan, (Carter - fa).

Currently we need work at LB and at De, DT may be a distant 3rd.

We won't carry more than 8DL even if using a 4-3.

So for the 4 DT we are looking at Chris Jones, Kelly (if healthy), Armstead (if healthy) & Silinga a space eater. The need for a DT will hinge on the health of Kelly and Armstead IMO and of course whether VW changes his mind and restructures.

At DE we are looking at Chandler Jones and Ninko, they both played way too many snaps last year. They will be far more effective by the time we get to the playoffs if they aren't playing every snap. Is Buchanan part of the solution? If not we need 2 DE's perhaps one in the draft but also a vet who also has the ability to tush the passer. If the Coaches Buchanan is part of the solution perhaps only a draft pick.

With the moves this week + players returning from injury we have the ingredients for an elite defense.

Currently

Same thing the chargers said about some dude called harrison.

Do you realize the age difference? Harrison was 31. Wilson is 34. So it would be like getting the 2006 version of Rodney -- which was still good and I would gladly take 2006 Rodney as the starting SS on this team; except that Wilson is not as good as Rodney was.

We need help/improvement at DE, DT, LB, and S.

Those are 4 significant positions, and all 3 lines of defense. That's a far cry from "no weak links."

Of course, we're hopeful that some of those will be filled via the draft as well, but yes--there are definitely improvements that need to be made.

I'm sure they will be addressed, but I don't understand how anyone can look at the current group and see "no weak links." I agree with the OP's thoughts that we should be in an okay spot heading into the draft, but even then there are still players that need to be added + the hope that the draft picks will instantly work out.

It'd be great to address the front 7 now with resigning Fletcher and adding a couple of bigger bodies up front for competition. A pass rushing rotational DE would be great, but will probably come too expensive. That could limit our needs to just shoring areas up in the draft.

This defense + Aaron Donald = top 2.

That combine effort may have screwed us from being able to move up a handful of spots into the mid/low 20's to grab him.

I'm wondering if he doesn't go top 15 now?

if the offense can score 30 a game then yes the defense will look like it has no weak links cause they could blitz a lot more with a lead and two man coverage CB's but the pats need more inside pass rush better run D and a SS

To be clear. We are not NOW in an OK position to go into the draft.

We need help/improvement at DE, DT, LB, and S.

Those are 4 significant positions, and all 3 lines of defense. That's a far cry from "no weak links."

Of course, we're hopeful that some of those will be filled via the draft as well, but yes--there are definitely improvements that need to be made.

I'm sure they will be addressed, but I don't understand how anyone can look at the current group and see "no weak links." I agree with the OP's thoughts that we should be in an okay spot heading into the draft, but even then there are still players that need to be added + the hope that the draft picks will instantly work out.

It'd be great to address the front 7 now with resigning Fletcher and adding a couple of bigger bodies up front for competition. A pass rushing rotational DE would be great, but will probably come too expensive. That could limit our needs to just shoring areas up in the draft.

To be clear. We are not NOW in an OK position to go into the draft.

That's exactly what I'm saying.

Lots of work to be done, with at least 4 positions needing upgrades/depth, etc.

Another 2-3 signings and we probably would be okay heading into the draft, but I hardly agree with the wording of "the defense has no weak links."

I agree. There is a lot of work to be done. This is especially true since the offense needs help at 4 spots also: RB, WR, TE, C/OG.

That's exactly what I'm saying.

Lots of work to be done, with at least 4 positions needing upgrades/depth, etc.

Another 2-3 signings and we probably would be okay heading into the draft, but I hardly agree with the wording of "the defense has no weak links."

We also still need to figure out what to do with Wilfork, hope that Kelly returns healthy enough for the season, and still see improvements from both Collins (expected) + Hightower just as LB alone. As you mentioned, upgrades from all of Vellano, Chris Jones, Bequette, Buchanon, and Carter are certainly needed as well.

I think front 7 is a huge need at the moment.

I think ONE of a rotational DE/pass rusher or a decent big bodied DT, along with retaining Fletcher would go a long way towards putting some minds at ease, but there are still many holes to fill at the moment.

a lot of people sleeping on armstead. I hope to see him contributing in a big way next to kelly. Chris Jones and Siliga as nice depth pieces and hopefully a disruptive impact guy like Donald, Hageman or Easily would be a great group.

On solution to the Wilfork situation is to cut him within a week. We need the caproom.

If Wilfork is willing able to play in July or August, he can choose to negotiate with the patriots. We could come up with the needed cap money though a Mankins restructure, something the team doesn't particularly want to do, but it is really doable and reasonable.

We also still need to figure out what to do with Wilfork, hope that Kelly returns healthy enough for the season, and still see improvements from both Collins (expected) + Hightower just as LB alone. As you mentioned, upgrades from all of Vellano, Chris Jones, Bequette, Buchanon, and Carter are certainly needed as well.

I think ONE of a rotational DE/pass rusher or a decent big bodied DT, along with retaining Fletcher would go a long way towards putting some minds at ease, but there are still many holes to fill at the moment.

I don't buy this. You still need good individual pass rushers to take advantage of the one-on-one matchups blitzing creates.

How in God's name is a defensive back going to improve the pass rush?

Ah yes, the "sacks are the everything of pass rush" argument.

I think it might be important to look at what the statistics tell us about the Patriots' defense in 2013, and what it means to come back with 8 starters intact, and the replacements being Revis, Collins and Wilson

2013 NFL Team Defense Stats - National Football League - ESPN

The Patriots were:
#3 in tackles (although I do not know if that is meaningful)
#4 in sacks with 48
#5 in fumble recoveries
#6 in opponents lost yards due to sacks (313)
# 8 in plus/minus takeaways (+9)
#12 in interceptions

As to your question about how defensive backs improve the pass rush, good coverage buys time for the DL and blitzers to get to the quarterback and records throwaways, sacks, hits, hurries, fumbles.

A great corner like Revis also makes it possible to blitz safeties more often because you don't worry so much about getting burned over the top.

I think it might be important to look at what the statistics tell us about the Patriots' defense in 2013, and what it means to come back with 8 starters intact, and the replacements being Revis, Collins and Wilson

2013 NFL Team Defense Stats - National Football League - ESPN

The Patriots were:
#3 in tackles (although I do not know if that is meaningful)
#4 in sacks with 48
#5 in fumble recoveries
#6 in opponents lost yards due to sacks (313)
# 8 in plus/minus takeaways (+9)
#12 in interceptions

As to your question about how defensive backs improve the pass rush, good coverage buys time for the DL and blitzers to get to the quarterback and records throwaways, sacks, hits, hurries, fumbles.

A great corner like Revis also makes it possible to blitz safeties more often because you don't worry so much about getting burned over the top.
Ok so having a good secondary improves the overall pass defense, agreed. I'm still not seeing how it makes the front 7 get into that backfield faster, which is what pass rush is.

If we are looking for a disruptive DT in the draft, then Kelcy Quarles of SC is a guy we can get in the third or fourth round.

We really need another veteran safety or two, plus some veteran LBer/ST depth.

We are still looking through the lens of a 2013 defense severely diminished by injuries, and one that was still very young.

Entering 2014 with the players on the roster (we have to go with the cards we're holding here), the picture is this:

DL: Ninkovich, Kelly, Wilfork and Chandler Jones with Siliga and Chris Jones as depth, and tremendous potential in Armstead

LB: Hightower, Mayo and Collins (depth is needed here)

CB: Dennard, Revis and Arrington in the slot with Logan Ryan as depth

Safety: McCourty and Adrian Wilson with Duron Harmon as depth

Not a rookie in the mix, and speed and smarts at every level. The only real hole here is safety if Wilson can't run, which is quite possible. It looks like Wilfork will depart, which is sad. But, plugging his spot with Siliga, Chris Jones and Armstead is not a terrible place to be with the other three guys on the DL.

The importance of continuity cannot be understated with a defense that looks like this. When you have 13 or 14 guys who have been together as a unit you worry about introducing new guys. In the current picture, the "new guys" are Adrian Wilson and Darrelle Revis, two smart accomplished leaders.

This is a very impressive group from which to approach the draft.

If you look right below this post (it's the first) there's a picture of this dude we signed yesterday.

I just scanned through 54 posts and no one, including the OP here, even mentioned him once.

Weird.

a lot of people sleeping on armstead. I hope to see him contributing in a big way next to kelly. Chris Jones and Siliga as nice depth pieces and hopefully a disruptive impact guy like Donald, Hageman or Easily would be a great group.

probably because no one has ever seen him play. who knows what he can do.

I would rather the team draft Jordan Tripp over seeing Fletcher back. Read Jordan Tripp's profile. Prototypical Patriot.

Welcome to to the dark side to you as well, Rob. Won't you join us for tea later?

Is the tea... EVIL?

Dr_Evil.jpg

I would rather the team draft Jordan Tripp over seeing Fletcher back. Read Jordan Tripp's profile. Prototypical Patriot.
I totally agree. I love what I've read about Tripp. He's my first choice of our pick in the 4th round. 2 other quick points.

1. I don't see it being an either/or situation. We need to make at least 2 legitimate LB signings for depth. Ideally one would be Fletcher, and the other Tripp

2. A second choice in the 4th would AExum. (this is one of Mayoclinic's prime binkies). He feels he has the size to excel at run support and the coverage skill to fit the Pats' system. The key here is, he feels his rather pedestrian combine numbers are more due to him coming off and injury than his actually lack of speed and quickness.....and thus a steal in the 4th. Personally if given the choice, I'd go with Tripp, simply because I see a bigger need there,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents