PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If both Justin Fields and Trey Lance are available for the Patriots in Round 1 who do you pick?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Justin Fields or Trey Lance in Round 1?

• Justin Fields

Votes: 20 80.0%
  • Trey Lance

Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Other - Name your QB but you have to pick him in Round 1

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

VJCPatriot

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Ok so it's the day of the draft. You are in the War Room. The Patriots have boldly moved up the draft board and BOTH of these two QBs are available. BB turns to you and says, Who's our guy? Your answer is... [And please explain why you pick who you pick. IE try to pitch the pick like a scout would to BB.]

Assuming Lawrence, Wilson and Mac Jones are gone, I'd take Fields.

If we had our choice of any of the QB's I'd go

Lawrence
Jones
Fields
Lance
Wilson

Assuming Lawrence, Wilson and Mac Jones are gone, I'd take Fields.

If we had our choice of any of the QB's I'd go

Lawrence
Jones
Fields
Lance
Wilson
Sure. OK. And how are you pitching Fields as the better choice? What attributes or traits are you citing, that you think will convince BB to take your guy?

Sure. OK. And how are you pitching Fields as the better choice? What attributes or traits are you citing, that you think will convince BB to take your guy?
I think he's better in every aspect than Lance, based on what we've seen on tape. I think Lance has a sky high ceiling but there's no guarantee he ever comes close to reaching it, it's just projection. At this moment in time he's got issues with short to medium range accuracy and hasn't got the sample size that Fields has, who was also up against much more unforgiving defenses.

I can get why people would prefer to roll the dice on Lance, but I'm not a gambling man. I'll go for the surer bet every time. Which, incidentally, is why I'd take Mac Jones over either one of them.

Justin Fields . I am no football expert but based on eye test and watching football since 2001, I would say strong arm, accuracy and poise. Learns from his mistakes and coachable. He has no quit mentality when knocked down, look at the Clemson game.

Im voting for Tre Lance. While he has a higher bust potential, I feel like he has a higher ceiling. If they hit on him, I see a home run. A guy who will be a stud in this league for many years. I would rather shoot for the home run. I don't feel the same way about Fields, and really worry about how he ****s the ball before throwing. I could see a real fumble problem in the NFL with edge rushers aiming for that free football.
I know Lance probably wont start this year, but im willing to wait.

Trey Lance is fool's gold. He's only played 318 snaps which would be the fewest a college QB played in over 40 years as a 1st round pick. The previous least experienced one was Mark Sanchez at 498 snaps. Also his offense ran the ball 70% of the time and he only averaged 160 passing yards a game. Totally overhyped.

Trey Lance is fool's gold. He's only played 318 snaps which would be the fewest a college QB played in over 40 years as a 1st round pick. The previous least experienced one was Mark Sanchez at 498 snaps. Also his offense ran the ball 70% of the time and he only averaged 160 passing yards a game. Totally overhyped.

Obviously a risky pick but i would be willing to take it because of his upside. While the lack of snaps in college is something that would have to be overcome, its not like it hasn't happened before. Matt Cassel only threw 33 passes in college and he went on to have a pretty darn good career.
I grant you a 1st round risk is a lot different than a 7th, but the point is it can be done and i don't think anyone would argue that Lance's ceiling is a lot higher than Cassel's. Hence higher pick.

Obviously a risky pick but i would be willing to take it because of his upside. While the lack of snaps in college is something that would have to be overcome, its not like it hasn't happened before. Matt Cassel only threw 33 passes in college and he went on to have a pretty darn good career.
I grant you a 1st round risk is a lot different than a 7th, but the point is it can be done and i don't think anyone would argue that Lance's ceiling is a lot higher than Cassel's. Hence higher pick.

If Matt Cassel is your example, how high of a ceiling did Cassel eventually reach? Also he was a 7th round pick. Would you package multiple 1sts for Lance ?

If Matt Cassel is your example, how high of a ceiling did Cassel eventually reach? Also he was a 7th round pick. Would you package multiple 1sts for Lance ?
Cassel led the Chiefs to their first title in 7 years and made the pro bowl, had a 13 year career and earned over $65mil in the NFL. So his ceiling was a NFL starting QB that you could win a division title with. I think Lance's ceiling is a lot higher and think he could lead his team to a Super Bowl. I would trade two firsts if i had to.

Cassel led the Chiefs to their first title in 7 years and made the pro bowl, had a 13 year career and earned over $65mil in the NFL. So his ceiling was a NFL starting QB that you could win a division title with. I think Lance's ceiling is a lot higher and think he could lead his team to a Super Bowl. I would trade two firsts if i had to.

Ok. I respect your opinion. Disagree. I think back on teams using huge draft capital for Sam Darnold or Tim Tebow or RGIII. So many bust QBs over the top defensive players available at their position.

Ok. I respect your opinion. Disagree. I think back on teams using huge draft capital for Sam Darnold or Tim Tebow or RGIII. So many bust QBs over the top defensive players available at their position.

Fair enough. I respect yours as well. I just feel like teams can recover from swings and misses these days especially at QB where they still have a reduced market a few years after they are drafted. I would like to swing for the fences with BB nearing the end and feel like he is the player do do it on.

I voted Fields solely because I think he's closer to a sure thing, but Trey Lance has the best interviews of anyone in this draft. As a person, he seems perfect for what the Patriots usually look for in a player. I wouldn't be the least bit sad with either one, although Lance will take longer to develop (he's only 20 and had basically one season of experience). Lance would sit for a year behind Newton, presumably, while Fields would probably challenge for playing time right away.

If I feel strongly enough that eventually Grop will become our 2021 starter, then I'm taking Lance;

If Scam's still our starter, then I'm taking Fields.

Last edited:
I voted Fields solely because I think he's closer to a sure thing, but Trey Lance has the best interviews of anyone in this draft.

Wow. Great zoom interviews ? C'mon

Lance went 3 because every GM is **** scared of passing on the "next Mahomes". Lance could just as likely be the next Gino Carmazzi as the next Mahomes. The whole NFL is obsessed with mobile QBs whose speciality is throwing on the run after another busted play.

Lance went 3 because every GM is **** scared of passing on the "next Mahomes". Lance could just as likely be the next Gino Carmazzi as the next Mahomes. The whole NFL is obsessed with mobile QBs whose speciality is throwing on the run after another busted play.

Lance is definitely the riskiest of the 5 QBs taken in round 1 because of his lack of tape in 2020 and overall lower level of competition in 2019. He also has a bit of a hitch in his throwing motion. Also like most run heavy QBs he has a higher risk of injuring himself on those scrambles which might hamper his development. 49ers went all in on a lottery pick. If they lose the gamble... it's gonna be a huge OOF.

What I'm hearing now is that the Fields interest was a smokescreen by the BB camp and they wanted Mac Jones all along. Hard to tell if this is true but it wouldn't surprise me if BB had been manipulating the draft that way. But it worked, Mac Jones is a Patriot and Fields is a Chicago Bear!

There will be a lot of busts because of this. Mahomes was a unicorn, his dad was a MLB pitcher and the kid had a MLB cannon arm. Trey is a huge risk. The Pats possibly took the best QB of the bunch without burning three 1st rounders.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back