PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Idle thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone know why Harmon only got two snaps? He's been a staple type player for six years now and is often good for a timely interception.
Matchups

Anyone know why Harmon only got two snaps? He's been a staple type player for six years now and is often good for a timely interception.

I think it was just wanting more speed in the secondary. Harmon has decent speed for a fs, but crossen and Jones are faster.
Don't think it had anything to do with Harmon's play, just trying to get best matchups.

I think it was just wanting more speed in the secondary. Harmon has decent speed for a fs, but crossen and Jones are faster.
Don't think it had anything to do with Harmon's play, just trying to get best matchups.

Thanks! I thought it was also odd that I was hearing Crossen's name being called in regular defense, but the snap count puts him at 8.

If you decide to write that article on team building patfanken I will be one of the first in line to read it. Your posts always open my eyes to something I have missed and are always clear and to the point. I will anxiously be watching the forum for a hint of this.

I know you have gone into retirement on idle thoughts, but I hope it won't be on everything. Take care and I wish you all the best.

Great post as usual.

The INT at the 1 was on Brady on the field but it should have never been called at all. That’s on Josh. This run game is legit now. Use it.
was the int on 2nd down? they should’ve ran it 3 straight time (seahawks sb flashback)

Last edited:
Talent is consistently misdefined.

The talent required to win football games includes much more than just the ability to make a handful of exciting plays over the course of a season.

That’s why I laugh when people say other QBs like Rodgers or Mahomes or whatever flavor of the week are more talented then Brady because it ignores the talents that separate him (drive, decision making, clutch play, leadership, mental toughness and understanding the game) that are far, far more important to success than whether you can run fast and throw the ball far while you are running.
It also should go without saying that the "talent" the Pats players Do have is extraordinary in relation to 99% of the rest of us. I've have said many times, that EVERYONE good enough to make it in the NFL is a GREAT football player. A JAG is a GREAT football player. Probably about 95 % of the league is roughly equal in talent and skill. Then there are those 5% of the league that are just that much better.

So let me articulate this better by saying that what makes the Pats so consistently better than everyone else year to year is they are that much better in getting whatever talent that they DO have, to play together more effectively for a longer period of time over the course of a season, Plus, like I mentioned before, be a better team at the end of the year, than the one that started it.

was the int on 2nd down? they should’ve ran it 3 straight time

IIRC, There was an interview w Gronk or video with him talking to another player or something like that where they were commiserating that Gronk didn't have ate in post season this year. Could TB have been forcing a play to Gronk to take care of his buddy for some reason (bonus $ or just pride)?

I too was amazed as good as the run game was going that they didn't just ramit down their throats. Oh well, could have really been a blowout.

has there been any comment or analysis on Reid not going for the winning TD on 2nd and 10 with 11 secs left? KC was getting DPI calls on their previous drive. They could have run the Flacco/Ravens huck it up and hope play
They asked Reid about it and he said there were four men back in the endzone so he decided to play it safe.

No they weren't sandbagging. I think they were BUILDING.

Chris Price mentioned that the thing he learned when he was writing a book on the Pats first epoch as a dynasty (2001-7) was that they approached team building differently. They didn't think of it as acquiring talent, but rather find the pieces to build a TEAM, and coach them to maximizing what they do well and then putting them into a position to use their pluses, instead of trying to correct what they do poorly (though of course that is part of it too....but just to a degree). If you look back on this entire era, the key has been that for the most part, the team that's playing at the end of the year is a lot better than the one that started the year.

It's a great point and if they win next week it will be the best example of the success of this philosophy to date. I'm thinking of doing a thread on this. This is REALLY been a team of no names and "has been's". It's a team where the sum has been greater than the individual parts. They are an exemplar that should be held up to all professional sport team and praised unilaterally. Hard work, good coaching and the right mix of players can go a long way in football, where the best TEAM can often beat the "best talent".

Next week will be a big test
Those are good points and what a contrast with how the Rams have built their SB bound team, with large contract extensions and bringing in big name free agents, loading it up so to speak. Don't see how their plan is sustainable.

Those are good points and what a contrast with how the Rams have built their SB bound team, with large contract extensions and bringing in big name free agents, loading it up so to speak. Don't see how their plan is sustainable.
Well certainly not for 20 years. ;). With the exception of the Pats 3-4 years seems like the maximum for a team's run these days. Even some of the so called "good teams" like the steelers, and ravens, have had multiple years of not making the playoffs.

I think even Pats fans, (maybe ESPECIALLY Pat's fans) forget just how hard it is to win ANY game in the NFL. Think back to all the one score close games against the Jets or Bills in year's when the Pats had some of their best teams.

By this time, most Pats fans under 30 think that double digit win seasons are an entitlement rather than a HARD earned accomplishment

Well certainly not for 20 years. ;). With the exception of the Pats 3-4 years seems like the maximum for a team's run these days. Even some of the so called "good teams" like the steelers, and ravens, have had multiple years of not making the playoffs.

I think even Pats fans, (maybe ESPECIALLY Pat's fans) forget just how hard it is to win ANY game in the NFL. Think back to all the one score close games against the Jets or Bills in year's when the Pats had some of their best teams.

By this time, most Pats fans under 30 think that double digit win seasons are an entitlement rather than a HARD earned accomplishment
Most Boston sports fans under 30 don't know what it's like to go over a decade without a championship. What an incredible last 20 or so years this era has been for our sports fandom.

No they weren't sandbagging. I think they were BUILDING.

Chris Price mentioned that the thing he learned when he was writing a book on the Pats first epoch as a dynasty (2001-7) was that they approached team building differently. They didn't think of it as acquiring talent, but rather find the pieces to build a TEAM, and coach them to maximizing what they do well and then putting them into a position to use their pluses, instead of trying to correct what they do poorly (though of course that is part of it too....but just to a degree). If you look back on this entire era, the key has been that for the most part, the team that's playing at the end of the year is a lot better than the one that started the year.

It's a great point and if they win next week it will be the best example of the success of this philosophy to date. I'm thinking of doing a thread on this. This is REALLY been a team of no names and "has been's". It's a team where the sum has been greater than the individual parts. They are an exemplar that should be held up to all professional sport team and praised unilaterally. Hard work, good coaching and the right mix of players can go a long way in football, where the best TEAM can often beat the "best talent".

Next week will be a big test

Every year is a work in progress and except for major injuries they're strongest at the end. That's why fans should be more patient with them, especially since we've seen this played out year after year.

Most Boston sports fans under 30 don't know what it's like to go over a decade without a championship. What an incredible last 20 or so years this era has been for our sports fandom.

I feel doubly blessed because my fandom started out with the greatest dynasty of them all and the GOAT of all GOATS.

Yes, and the belief that none of the Pats' safeties could match up consistently with Kelce.

Thanks for posting this, Ken. The San Diego win wasn't quite as sweet without being able to relive it through your eyes

The thist that impressed me most in this game was the pass rush. Four sacks and some super disciplined pressure that collapsed the pocket consistently without giving Mahomes room to run. Flowers, Simon, Guy, KVN were all beasts, and even Clayborn was disciplined and this effective, even if he didn't show up on the stat sheet.

It also should go without saying that the "talent" the Pats players Do have is extraordinary in relation to 99% of the rest of us. I've have said many times, that EVERYONE good enough to make it in the NFL is a GREAT football player. A JAG is a GREAT football player. Probably about 95 % of the league is roughly equal in talent and skill. Then there are those 5% of the league that are just that much better.

So let me articulate this better by saying that what makes the Pats so consistently better than everyone else year to year is they are that much better in getting whatever talent that they DO have, to play together more effectively for a longer period of time over the course of a season, Plus, like I mentioned before, be a better team at the end of the year, than the one that started it.

Also seems that the Pats are better conditioned and better prepared for any and every contingency that a team can present, they do not always recognize it at first but react well. Time and time again we have heard how they were prepared for a specific situation, Malcolm Butlers Int int eh Superbowl for example.. + many other situations.

Go back to Superbowl LI when the Pats ran just about 100 Offensive plays,the Falcons were exhausted.. but our O kept keeping on.

Last week against KC they controlled the ball more than 2:1 and ran twice as many plays, KC looked a little gassed and Pats O looked fairly fresh...keep in mind that aside from #12's kneeldown there were no "negative" plays by KC...

Always smile when the Detroit Press piled on Matt Patricia as he was making the Lions run "gassers" after every practice.. the press was afraid he might be "losing" that team....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back