PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Idle thoughts - "When a win is worse than a loss" edition.

patfanken

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
This is a bad team who should be tanking instead of winning these close ugly games. We will all be regretting a win like this when we are picking around #20 next April. We should sit Cam, who clearly can't pass anymore after his worst passing game of his career. His footwork sucks. His accuracy is non-existent and he clearly has trouble seeing the field and his taking sacks even though the OL has done a good job protecting him.

What I have written here is NOT what I think, but it IS what you will be hearing all week from the media. So be prepared. The sky is falling. BB has lost it. The dynasty is over and it will be decades before we might see a revival. :eek: Well while some of the criticisms are valid, it surely was an ugly offensive game no question. I see a path back from purgatory and I encourage a dialog for those who disagree.

BTW- I am not going to write one of those 10,000 word jobs tonight. Just a few thoughts for discussion ....at least that's my intent. ;) So on to the list.

1. Lets start with the bad stuff.

a. Cam looked horrible. I couldn't help note that after Folk's game winning FG the stricken look of disappointment on Cam's face. It was as if he was so disappointed in his performance he couldn't bear to share in his teammates' celebration of a well deserved. He KNEW it was his worse passing game of a very good 10 year career and it clearly hurt him. I don't blame him. That's what a winner feels like when he's sucked on the field. It happens. Move on. He's the same guy who threw for 350 odd yds just last week. So while it would have been nice if he had built on that performance this week, it didn't happen. Move on.

That being said, I don't know what's going on in practice. Back in 2001 the word was that Brady was already looking better than Drew in practices preceding Drew's injury and it would have been just a matter of time before Bledsoe might have been replaced if his game didn't improve. The fact was that the offense Bill wanted to run simply suited Brady's skill set over Drew's Drew never adapted his game. Hard to teach an old dog new tricks. But I don't want to go down that rabbit hole.

Here's the thing. I don't think Bill is going to dump Cam. Good playing, bad playing Cam is still the leader of the team. From all reports he's a been a great teammate. But I do think that the leash is a lot shorter now than it was yesterday. There is a part of me that wants to see what Stidham has got before the whole " sell all the franchise's assets to draft a QB high" crowd takes over the place. BB moved on from a $100MM QB I don't think he'll be afraid to move on from a $1MM QB.

People don't want to make excuses for any player, but Cam has more than a few he COULD claim for his very inconsistent performances. We all know them, so I won't waste time repeating them. But I can't help but wonder what Cam could be with a full off season and a 2nd year in the system.

b. I've been a LONG time coming to this point, but I'm finally coming to the point where I am really worried about N'Keal Harry's future as a Patriot. He really looks lost and seems like he's completely lost his confidence.

Listen I still believe he has a future. He's a tough kid who is willing to block LB's, who is willing to go over the middle, etc. He's generally shown good hands despite his drop today. But I'm not really worried about his physical skills. I AM now worried about his head. Is this kid mentally tough enough to deal with the adversities of injuries and overcoming a bad performance. EVERY player has them. The good pros, simply move on with even greater determination to do better. The guy who are quickly out of the league are the ones who can't. I'm not sure which category Harry lies right now.

c. We are going to hear about from now until April but I'm NOT a big fan about picking a QB in the first round or god forbid mortgaging the future to move up for a can't miss "franchise QB" (Like mitch Trubisky or Wentz or Sam Darnold, or any of a dozen other QB's I could mention that have turned out to be less than their teams hoped for.

BTW - Someone in the game day thread opined that maybe it might not be a bad Idea to get Harry to put on 25 pounds of muscle and move to TE. Just a thought.

c. The running game took a step back this week. One reason was the fact the Cards were stacking 8 and 9 men at the LOS. The other was the lost of Issaih Wynn. I don't know what happened with Elumenaur, but mid way through the first period our 2 starting OT's were 6th round rookies :eek: So it was no wonder the running game wasn't going well. I saw Elumanur back in the game later, but bottom line, Wynn will be missed the next 2 game...at least.

d. The broadcast team at Fox sucked. They were clearly favoring the NFC team to the point when the announcer literally use the term "we" in describing the Cards. That explained a lot to me.

e. The refs - These guys were horrible. The call on the PR was ludicrous. It can't be a blindside hit when the 2 guys are facing each other. Right? Another key call was on Gilmore giving the Cards ANOTHER shot at a TD on a failed 3rd down play inside the 5. Sure Gilmore DID give Hopkins a slight tug that didn't interfere with his route, yet they COMPLETELY ignored the fact that Hopkins had not only pushed off early in the route, but he slammed Gilmore right in the face!!!!!! That was almost as bad as the double penalty call that gave the cards ANOTHER chance after a failed 3rd down play. These guys were REALLY inconsistent.

BTW- Some in the media are trying to intimate that the PF call on Cam that set up the winning FG was "controversial". It wasn't. Sure Cam was hit before he went out. But that WASN'T why the flag was thrown. The guy ear holed Cam with the top of his helmet. And while in my day that would have been applauded, now its clearly a foul. No controversy there at ALL!

g. Second thought - I really thought JWilliams had a great rookie year, and I even thought he looked good early in the season, but as each game has passed he seems to have become a distant after thought and that disturbs me. I want him to be good and he should be. Yet clearly he isn't getting any run. It might not be his fault. Hard for him to crack Gilmore, Jackson, JMcCourty, and JJones at CB and harder to crack a DMcCourty, Phillips and Dugger at S

h. Another last minute thought. - Can't help but to be very disappoint in the fact neither of our 2 TE draftees have managed to get on the field due to injuries. It really sucks.

The good stuff.

a. This team has a LOT of character. They have lost a lot of close game this year and have had things go bad at the worst times. Injuries, illnesses, fumbles and picks. They are in a position where they literally have to run the table if they want to guarantee themselves a playoff spot, so EVERY game is a playoff game from here on out. So no one would have been surprised if after the abysmal start they had in going behind 10-0 in the first 10 minutes of the game, they would have quit and gone through the motions. Nothing seemed to be working.
Well they obviously didn't quit and made a lot of really clutch plays over the course of the game. So even if you think they suck and should be tanking, this is team that is WORTHY of our full support. They have a lot of grit and determination.

b. I think Winovich, Uche, and Simon will give us a solid OLB corps for the next several years. Uche is starting to make a difference. Winovich could be a star in the making and Simon is as solid as they come.

c. Adam Butler had his best game as a Patriot. I don't know what they were putting in his chocolate milk while he was out, but I want some in my milk. That kid was on fire. I was worried when I saw Cowart was out. I needn't have. Adam proved solid support in the run game and consistent pressure up the middle.

BTW- Lawrence Guy could be the most under rated defensive lineman in the league. Week in and Week out he gives this team a great effort and solid production and no one seems to notice.

d. The secondary (along with the DL pressure) held a very explosive and talented Cardinal offense to just 170 yds passing. A special shout out should go to Gilmore who held the best receiver in the NFL to a VERY quiet 55 yds on 5 catches. Most of those were on 10 yd outs when it looked like Gilmore was in zone. There were a LOT of fantasy players who are very sad tonight. ;)

e. Very nice game by a guy I've been pretty critical of this year. JBentley led the team with 13 tackles and was a rock on the inside. If they can keep him out of passing game or protect him, he can develop into a good run stopper.

f. DHarris had his worst game in a while but I love him more every time I see him run.

g. Dugger is going to be a good one. He's going to be an impact safety down the road and likely the guy who keeps Patrick Chung in retirement in NH. He's another of the young guys who make me happy.

h. And while we really might have the worst set of WR's in the league, Jakobi Myers is turning out to be a solid option running constant routes and getting open despite his speed deficiencies. And the more I see of Jamir Bird, the more I like him. HE seems to be improving as the season goes on.

3; Other thoughts.

a. The Pats are looking at a 2 week stay on the west coast coming up in games against a very winnable Chargers and the very tough Rams a week later. They they play the AFC in each of their last 3 games. They will likely be underdogs in 3 of those games (Rams, Bills, and Dolphins) All those games will be close and the Pats will have a punchers shot in every game. 10-6 is possible, though 8-8 is more likely. But here's the thing. Even if they don't make the playoffs this season, I don't see this team as being far from being back in the championship mix. Here's why.

b. For the first time in decades, the cap is going to drop to 175M next season. For the few teams WITH cap space the FA market will be deep and offer a lot of great bargains because there will be a number of teams who are going to have to let go good players to get under the cap and other might be able to keep their own guys, but will not be able to bid for any new guys. IF what we been led to believe is true, the Pats will be among those few teams with relatively a lot of space to pick up 2 or 3 QUALITY players that could make immediate impacts on areas of need for this team.

c. This team needs speed at WR. This team needs speed at ILB. This team needs bulk on the DL THERE WILL be quality players who fill these needs available next March and the Pats will have room to acquire some and the market will be flush with so many that it should be good time to be a buyer.d

d. i. This defense seems to be getting better or at least capable to stop 2 of 3 very good QB's running dynamic offensive systems. Its not going to take too much to push it to the next level

Bill creates winning teams with winning attitudes. It is never a surpirse to him when they win. He gives them what they need to do in order to win a game, and gets them to believe that if they do those things, they will win the game. So Bill is NEVER going to tank any game they suit up for. He still believes that adage that it is the best TEAM ,not the most talent that wins football games. AND while he'd rather have Julio Jones and DHopkiins as his WR's, he's shown he can win MULTIPLE Superbowls with some other guys who aren't household names. That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if he hired someone this off season who has some experience in some of the "Air Raid" kind of offensive concepts that the Pats aren't familiar with on offense.

e. I just got an Alexa thing from Amazon and I can't believe I ever existed without it. Is that sad????? ;). OK I've rambled enough. I'm going to thoroughly enjoy this win and look forward to the next one.

This is not a bad team. We’re a decent QB and a good WR away from being 8-2. We have a top 5 defense (that is getting better) and a top 5 rushing offense. I can’t think of a team that ever had those two qualities and was bad.

We stand to gain much more by winning and attracting like minded free agents than moving up a few slots in what will be a crapshoot of a draft due to COVID.

Nice thoughts!
I think I am alone, but believe that our receivers have some grit and potential. If we could get a tight end option that could even get 2-3 catches a game it would do wonders for all of them.

Last edited:
perfect title for this thread, Ken. The new centurions will see it but not read your column and then go off all day on why THEY are the "knowers of all things" and how everyone else is stupid and worthless if they don't agree with the lunacy being vomited up by these new wave keyboard warriors. It truly has become the age of narcissism, an Andy Warhol "15 minutes of fame " nightmare wherein otherwise inconsequential losers with low self esteem get to hammer their tick brained ideas like they graduated from Vince Lombardi University. I, for one, look forward to YOUR cogent insight every week, as much as I miss the thoughts of Rob,Box et al that made this Patriots fanbase the best in the world...IMHO of course .

Do the Patriots scouting department suck, or do the Patriots WR coaches over the past few years suck? I honestly don't understand how this franchise, which is generally competent, fail this hard at finding a good WR in the draft. Julian Edelman is years ago, this team hasn't found anyone since.

N'Keal Harry was widely projected to be a 1st or 2nd round back then. If he had landed in the Steelers instead, would he be a significantly better player? I think so.

Great stuff again Ken, always a good read.
b. I've been a LONG time coming to this point, but I'm finally coming to the point where I am really worried about N'Keal Harry's future as a Patriot. He really looks lost and seems like he's completely lost his confidence.
Agreed, Harry is frustrating to watch right now. The holding penalty plus the plays not made, doesn't look like a guy that has a future. Coaching staff needs to really see how they can use his skills, be it as a TE convert.

BTW- Some in the media are trying to intimate that the PF call on Cam that set up the winning FG was "controversial". It wasn't. Sure Cam was hit before he went out. But that WASN'T why the flag was thrown. The guy ear holed Cam with the top of his helmet. And while in my day that would have been applauded, now its clearly a foul. No controversy there at ALL!
Yes, thought that was clear as day. There was clear head-to-head contact. Simmons needs to learn and have himself under control. He picked up a flag in the first half for leading with his head, only to do it again on the final drive. We can all complain over it, but that's the way the game's ref'd now with the focus on avoiding concussions.

Well they obviously didn't quit and made a lot of really clutch plays over the course of the game. So even if you think they suck and should be tanking, this is team that is WORTHY of our full support. They have a lot of grit and determination.
I was pumped by Folk making that kick and loved the win. Rooting for losses is foreign to me. Maybe that's emphasized because I'm accustomed to European sports league that aren't closed leagues (i.e. with promotion and relegation) where there is no scenario in which you benefit from losing.

g. Dugger is going to be a good one. He's going to be an impact safety down the road and likely the guy who keeps Patrick Chung in retirement in NH. He's another of the young guys who make me happy.
Both his and Uche's athleticism are good to watch. The team needs more of that on defense, especially at ILB.

h. And while we really might have the worst set of WR's in the league, Jakobi Myers is turning out to be a solid option running constant routes and getting open despite his speed deficiencies. And the more I see of Jamir Bird, the more I like him. HE seems to be improving as the season goes on.
Meyers and Byrd are doing their best to keep the passing offense somewhat alive with no TEs and no Edelman, but it's clear, the team is in sore need of a number 1 receiver plus some TE production. Right now the receiving corps is in my eyes even worse than in the second half of last season. 2019 Dorsett would be an upgrade to whoever he'd bump out of the rotation.

This is not a bad team. We’re a decent QB and a good WR away from being 8-2. We have a top 5 defense (that is getting better) and a top 5 rushing offense. I can’t think of a team that ever had those two qualities and was bad.
Don't think this is a top-5 D. While I think DVOA underrates them (they have them as something like 31 or 32 I think), they haven't been good this year. Front seven is a big weakness and the secondary took a step back between Gilmore missing games and players (like aforementioned Gilmore or the McCourtys) not up to their 2018 or 2019 levels. The offseason will probably see a significant rebuild of the defense with decisions on Gilmore and J.C. Jackson, the age of the McCourtys and the front seven in dire need of talent infusion.

Do the Patriots scouting department suck, or do the Patriots WR coaches over the past few years suck? I honestly don't understand how this franchise, which is generally competent, fail this hard at finding a good WR in the draft. Julian Edelman is years ago, this team hasn't found anyone since.
I would draw a distinction between the pro scouts and the college scouts. The pro scouting department has done well at WR for the most part, adding WRs other teams did not value very much such as Chris Hogan and Danny Amendola, and going further back Randy Moss and Wes Welker. Josh Gordon would have been a steal if he could have stayed sober, and as it was it still cost the Pats next to nothing. Sanu was a bust, but that was an act of desperation in what the front office knew would be their last season with TB12.

Whether it be the college scouting department, the metrics BB and Caserio use at the position or something else - yes, there is no denying the fact that the Patriots have performed poorly in the draft at WR for a long time. Thankfully their roster management at WR seems to focus more on acquiring under the radar veteran free agents for the position than the draft.

N'Keal Harry was widely projected to be a 1st or 2nd round back then. If he had landed in the Steelers instead, would he be a significantly better player? I think so.

It is not as if Pittsburgh hits a home run with every wide receiver they draft. Dri Archer and Limas Sweed are a couple examples.

Keep in mind that the Steelers philosophy is to not retain a wide receiver with a pricey second contract. As a result they use up far more draft capital on the position than any other team in the league. Drafting one or two wide receivers early each and every year means some other positions get less attention.

I haven't seen anything from Harry's play that would lead me to believe he would be good on any NFL team at this point.

Good piece as we have come to expect, PFK.

Cam Newton is not the answer, not sure what happened to his passing prowess over the years... but what I saw yesterday was an abysmal performance by a QB.

Had said from the onset that would reserved judgement on Harry until Jan. '21 , now can say without hesitation is he sucks.. he looks like he is lost out there. No separation, stupid penalties and drops..

Completely agree on Duggar, Winovich, Uche, and Simon, do not recall seeing much of Jennings yesterday.

The penalty on the Olszewski kick return was BS....

Did not have much confidence that they would win yesterday as I was watching that game.. Glad to see I was wrong, it was a very good win. Now we prepare to head to the West Coast for Sunday and Thursday games.. gotta wonder how they will handle this, go into some sort of bubble and stay there for the duration or fly back and forth?? COVID-19 is a game changer.. .

"When McDaniels and Caserio were tasked with scouting New England's opposing receivers and corners, they took it further, creating a formula for size, speed, ball skills, scheme and assignments. Then they developed a ranking system based on the Patriots' personnel and playbook. Impressed, Belichick ditched his manual for scouting receivers and corners, replacing it with what he'd learned."

I would draw a distinction between the pro scouts and the college scouts. The pro scouting department has done well at WR for the most part, adding WRs other teams did not value very much such as Chris Hogan and Danny Amendola, and going further back Randy Moss and Wes Welker. Josh Gordon would have been a steal if he could have stayed sober, and as it was it still cost the Pats next to nothing. Sanu was a bust, but that was an act of desperation in what the front office knew would be their last season with TB12.

Whether it be the college scouting department, the metrics BB and Caserio use at the position or something else - yes, there is no denying the fact that the Patriots have performed poorly in the draft at WR for a long time. Thankfully their roster management at WR seems to focus more on acquiring under the radar veteran free agents for the position than the draft.

It is not as if Pittsburgh hits a home run with every wide receiver they draft. Dri Archer and Limas Sweed are a couple examples.

Keep in mind that the Steelers philosophy is to not retain a wide receiver with a pricey second contract. As a result they use up far more draft capital on the position than any other team in the league. Drafting one or two wide receivers early each and every year means some other positions get less attention.

I haven't seen anything from Harry's play that would lead me to believe he would be good on any NFL team at this point.

I just posted an article of who ruined BB and his dad's scouting methods.

This is a bad team who should be tanking instead of winning these close ugly games. We will all be regretting a win like this when we are picking around #20 next April.

This might be worst thread title and opening line you have ever written. Cheering for losses doesn't make you smart but simply a loser who forgot why he is watching sports. If you can't find any joy from scrappy wins throughout a season because of a draft pick that might or might not work out in the offseason you might have a problem.

EDIT: When you somehow miss the second paragraph. My mistake.

Cam looked horrible. I couldn't help note that after Folk's game winning FG the stricken look of disappointment on Cam's face. It was as if he was so disappointed in his performance he couldn't bear to share in his teammates' celebration of a well deserved. He KNEW it was his worse passing game of a very good 10 year career and it clearly hurt him. I don't blame him. That's what a winner feels like when he's sucked on the field. It happens. Move on. He's the same guy who threw for 350 odd yds just last week. So while it would have been nice if he had built on that performance this week, it didn't happen. Move on.

It was his worst play since the Broncos, 49ers double header of suck. And certainly not the efficient direction the offense had been looking since week 8. It also doesn't help that he started the game on a turnover caused entirely by the very same James White who is usually Mr.Dependable.

Can't have that.

Similarly, Eluemenor is "inconsistent" at best and borderline a liability at times in both the passing and the run game. Hope we get Wynn back for the final 3 division games.

Here's the thing. I don't think Bill is going to dump Cam. Good playing, bad playing Cam is still the leader of the team. From all reports he's a been a great teammate. But I do think that the leash is a lot shorter now than it was yesterday. There is a part of me that wants to see what Stidham has got before the whole " sell all the franchise's assets to draft a QB high" crowd takes over the place. BB moved on from a $100MM QB I don't think he'll be afraid to move on from a $1MM QB.

We and the coaching staff already knows what Stidham is. The staff sees him every day. It is not some kind of mystery box situation where he might suddenly turn out to be decent. And as long as there is a theoretical chance to make the playoffs there is no reason to torpedo that by starting the guy who couldn't beat out Hoyer in camp.

The running game took a step back this week. One reason was the fact the Cards were stacking 8 and 9 men at the LOS. The other was the lost of Issaih Wynn. I don't know what happened with Elumenaur, but mid way through the first period our 2 starting OT's were 6th round rookies :eek: So it was no wonder the running game wasn't going well. I saw Elumanur back in the game later, but bottom line, Wynn will be missed the next 2 game...at least.

The running game didn't take a step this week. It just continued the trend started against the Texans. Nothing about this is new.

And what happened with Eluemenor is that he is terribly inconsistent as a tackle. He kinda blew up the first two drives with terrible pass pro snaps and running around completely clueless on outside runs himself.

The refs - These guys were horrible. The call on the PR was ludicrous.

It was the correct call. You can complain about the rules being stupid but they called it correctly.

Adam Butler had his best game as a Patriot. I don't know what they were putting in his chocolate milk while he was out, but I want some in my milk. That kid was on fire. I was worried when I saw Cowart was out. I needn't have. Adam proved solid support in the run game and consistent pressure up the middle.

Butler was what was missing last week again Watson. He is much better at creating inside pressure on passing downs than anyone that played last week and if the edge players don't over pursue or give up the edge (looking at you Winovich !) then the contain rush works a lot better as we have seen against the Ravens and the Cards.

We got a bit lucky that the Cards were not able to exploit the lack of Davis/Cowart inside against the run. And they tried to the point that it cost them 3 easy points before the half.
Dugger is going to be a good one. He's going to be an impact safety down the road and likely the guy who keeps Patrick Chung in retirement in NH. He's another of the young guys who make me happy.

Dugger and Uche seem well on their way to be hits. Jennings will need another offseason to get more comfortable on the inside. The added responsibilities in coverage, the speed of the game and the plethora of schemes he has to know make for a very hard transition.

Even if they don't make the playoffs this season, I don't see this team as being far from being back in the championship mix. Here's why.

b. For the first time in decades, the cap is going to drop to 175M next season. For the few teams WITH cap space the FA market will be deep and offer a lot of great bargains because there will be a number of teams who are going to have to let go good players to get under the cap and other might be able to keep their own guys, but will not be able to bid for any new guys. IF what we been led to believe is true, the Pats will be among those few teams with relatively a lot of space to pick up 2 or 3 QUALITY players that could make immediate impacts on areas of need for this team.

I agree. They are in a great position to acquire discounted talent at various positions. Some teams will be huge sellers next offseason just to get under the cap (Saints: -90M, Eagles: -60M, Falcons: -25M...). That's why going the transitional QB route is the most promising to me. Even if they draft a QB in the first round next year odds are that this player will pretty much redshirt his rookie season.

I get that there is a big narrative building against Newton and he has shown to be very inconsistent. You have 4 good games and then get a total stinker like yesterday. But if the money is right I am not sure who else would be the alternative where you don't have to spend assets to acquire that player and then maybe overpay (keep in mind players like e.g. Foles are getting 12M in cash this year, Mariota has a cap hit of 7.5M).

So unless you acquire a potential starter (e.g. Darnold) I don't really see much value in moving on from Cam. Especially because unlike most I think there are at least 2 more gears in him if he actually were to have a full offseason and camp. But that's just speculation.

Last edited:
Cam’s legs are shot. In the offseason, before we even signed him, I went back and took a look at his All-22 for the last couple of years. Cam has never had the best pocket awareness but he’s been able to get away with it because he had the athleticism to flee the pocket and get positive yardage with his legs before being brought down. Starting in late 2018, I didn’t see that anymore.

You’ve seen this throughout the season and you saw it again yesterday. The pocket collapses, he tries to flee, and gets brought down from behind by either the DT or DE. That never used to happen to him. He can still do it on designed running plays for him because he gets an extra blocker, but he’s no longer the threat he once was when the play breaks down and he has to improvise. While it was fun to watch him run over LBs and Safeties throughout the years, eventually they start aiming for the legs. Like they did with Gronk. This is where I believe Cam’s problems start and it’s affecting his footwork and mechanics as a passer, IMO. When you combine that with what we have at the WR and TE position groups, you’ll see some absolute clunkers on offense like yesterday.

First......my glass half empty / Debbie Downer thoughts

The midget QB was playing injured and his threat level was severely diminished. Couldn't pass / reluctant to run.
Seattle benefited from an injured Murray last week, NE this week
Good for NE for taking advantage of this situation and eeking out the win.
NE took advantage of a monsoon that limited Jackson two weeks earlier. Again, good for NE.
Unfortunately, when playing a healthy mobile QB (Watson) in perfect conditions, NE's reality set in.

Now for some glass half full...

Let's give some praise to Joe Houston, first year assistant special teams coach, who arrived in NE with the handle "The Kicking Whisperer".
I won't pretend to know what Houston's actual role is in NE.
I do know since his arrival Nick Folk has been Mr. Automatic.
How often do aging kickers improve to such an extent? His kicks last year were often low trajectory funky spinners.
This year...end over end beauties
And our boy Bailey had quite a day yesterday as well.
Hats off to the Patriots kicking department...players and coaches

Also
Duggar brings the wood

Last edited:
@luuked, you missed the first sentence in the second paragraph of his post.

This might be worst thread title and opening line you have ever written. Cheering for losses doesn't make you smart but simply a loser who forgot why he is watching sports. If you can't find any joy from scrappy wins throughout a season because of a draft pick that might or might not work out in the offseason you might have a problem....So unless you acquire a potential starter (e.g. Darnold) I don't really see much value in moving on from Cam. Especially because unlike most I think there are at least 2 more gears in him if he actually were to have a full offseason and camp. But that's just speculation.

1a - I think Cam's disappointment is tied into his desire to reclaim his career. He's under a lot of pressure.
1b - Maybe Harry's poor game is attributable to his recent concussion issues.
1c - They need a QB desperately and I don't care how they get one.
1d - Most announcers s**k. I don't listen.
1e - The officiating is getting worse by the game. Maybe they should start banning contact of any kind by both the WRs and DBs. That might help eliminate the constant pushing and shoving as the ball is in the air. The call on Gunner's return belongs in the worse call HOF. As for the hit on Cam, it resulted in a 15 yard penalty that put the Pats in position at the end of the game for a winning FG. I love it when stupidity gets punished.
1g - You're slipping PFK. You have two c's and no f. ;) I'm no expert, but it seems like J McCourty has been struggling
1h - Maybe the TE's aren't as injured as they are still learning. I hope so anyway.

2a - I'll never quit on the Pats until I dump the NYFL altogether. In every war there are casualties.
2b, c, d - I'm no way near as worried about the defense as I am the offense.
2g - That kid Dugger has some real pop when he hits.
2h - Meyers has looked better than Harry from the start. He has much better hands.

3a - Each season under BB is a work in progress and the ability to come back quickly is always there.
3b,c - The Pats favorable cap situation in the future is a result of Bill (and maybe Ernie's) economics background.
3d - The ability to stop the newer style offenses is a strength for the Pats.
* Anyone who thinks Bill would or should tank is kidding themselves. That's for losers.
3e - Alexa reminds me of some of the ladies that I dated a half century or so ago. They were great to be around most of the time but I didn't want to marry them.

Last edited:
  • Special teams was clearly the star unit of the day. 2 great run backs, exceptional punts and clutch FG.
  • Whether most of the "big calls" were technically correct or not I did not like them. Penalties seem too random and too punitive. The defensive holdings, block on punt and personal foul on Cam run all directly led to points and all were subjective. Defensive players already have it hard enough w/o restricting them even further.
  • The team needs to figure out a better plan for Cam. Continue to be surprised at his lack of pocket awareness and inability to run out of it. He rarely scrambles away from trouble and actually seems to move into it.
  • Am afraid run game will continue to suffer if they cannot create some sort of passing threat. Really feel like they need to get Harris more involved in passing game. Get him isolated on LB in the flat and pick up some easy 7 or 8 yards gains.

Ken, when I saw the thread title, I was like,"WTF?!?".
Then, while reading your 1st paragraph, I was like" who the fook is this imposter stealing Kens idle thoughts?"
You got me.
The clowns who want tanking are clueless idiots.
You ALWAYS play to win.
I disagree about Harris. I thought he played well. He was facing a stacked box all game because Zona didnt believe our passing game could beat them.
And we have one of the best run games in the league. Not rocket science.
Jim Brown and Bo Jackson werent going to get many more yds than Harris vs.those 8-9 man fronts.
Agree about pretty much everything else and as always, greatly appreciate your work.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back