PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Content Post Idle thoughts; "We have met the enemy and he is us"

This has an opening post with good commentary and information, which we definitely recommend reading.

patfanken

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
The title of this article is comes from Walt Kelly an astute and cutting political satirist back on Earth Day in 1971. It was a twist on a famous quote from Commandant Matthew Perry after his victory over the British in the Battle of Lake Erie during the War of 1812. "We have met the enemy and they are ours" he messaged future President (for a very short time) General William Henry Harrision. (sorry but I WAS a History teacher). Kelly twisted that famous message to reflect the state of the Ecology long before Global Warming was a thought in the public mind.

Well I can be short and sweet with this one, We shot ourselves in the foot OVER and OVER and OVER again all night long. In the end they Pats aided and abetted a tough and well prepared Colts team and handed this game on a silver platter to the fans we hate the most (after the Jets of course, Joker).

Disclaimer =. I decided to mask ir up and try and make some money playing poker down at Foxwoods today and then head over to the sports book, have dinner and watch the game there. I was so pissed off at the first half that I left and decided to take my winnings and head home so I wouldn't still be writing this at 3 in the morning. BTW- the cheddar bacon burger stack was worth the overpricing. But because of this missed the first 10 minutes of the 3rd Quarter while I was out of radio range. So I had to piece together a bunch of stuff (Like Mac's 2nd pick from the stats). Sorry about that

So getting back to my old friend Pogo's quote, it fit the entire first half to a tee. Two drives were stalled by penalties, One by a dropped ball by Meyers, who will likely still be muttering to himself on Wednesday about this pass. We had a first down on the Colt 30 only to be called back on the Mason penalty Then we had a 2nd and one inside the 15. Then the Smith penalty, followed by a pick. All I know is that we constantly stopped ourselves from scoring on all but one drive (IIRC) in that first half. And then there was the catastrophic blocked punt.

When you think about it football is kind of easy. Over our 2-4 rocky start, we were -3 in our TO ratio. I don't know exactly what our TO ratio was during the 7 game wining streak, but I'm pretty sure it was PLUS double digits. I think the Bills game when our TO ratio was 0 was the only game in that streak where we didn't have a plus TO ratio. Well we were minus 2 tonight and gave up a TD to boot. Once you give up a TD to the defense or ST's your chances of winning the game drops to around 10%. We also, according to the radio, had a few chances at more picks of Wentz that could have and should have gone our way asl well. I can almost hear Bill's presser even though I missed it. "they simply made more big plays and fewer mistakes than we did." Right?

1. The defense; I expected the Colts to run the ball relatively successfully early in the game, and I felt that by the middle of the 2nd quarter to the that last long run when we were running desperation defenses the Pats did a really good job. I was actually surprised that prior to his TD run Taylor had "only" run for 103 yds and the Colts offense to 180 total yds AT home, IN a dome. And even with that run they gave up only 270 TOTAL yds. You'd take that number all day every day. So the defense did what it has for the last 8 games and gotten better as the game goes on and they get to see what the opposing offenses have planned for them. I really expected a tougher challenge from the Colts. I won't mind in the least seeing them again if they. make it to the playoffs.

2. Jonathan Taylor needs his own comment. He really is that good. Holding him to 100 yds would have been great outcome. So with that very good OL, you are never going to stop this kid clean. What I felt he did so well was to find the creases from tackle to tackle, and I do mean CREASE because these weren't gaping holes he was running through for the most part. So while he is quick and strong at the point of attack to go along with a very good OL, I think it is his vision and decision making that set him apart. I didn't see him miss a hole all game (the part I actually watched.) And he was good after first contact as well.

3. On our running game's part, I think Josh needs to rethink some of his OL blocking schemes as the year ends. We run what we being told is a "power running attack", but the OL blocking looks just like what I ran in the 70's and 80's which was the Delaware Wing-T OL blocking system which featured a lot of double teams with pulling G's. Block downs with G's or FB kick outs, etc. Well I think with all successful systems in the NFL, teams are starting to catch up with it by plugging the pulling G gaps and committing a S to the run. I recall one run where we were thrown for a loss when the pulling G was forced so deep he ran into the RB and the play was blown up. On the other hand on Stevenson's longest gain right at the end of the first half for 13 yds looked like they blocked it just man on man almost like a zone blocking scheme. It wasn't like there was a huge hole, but neither was there any leakage behind the LOS, so with a soft edge, Stevenson could do what he does best and maneuver in tight spaces and pick up positive yds. Just something to think about.

4. On the blocked punt - Even in HS, your up backs in whatever punt protection you run, are ALWAYS told to step UP to meet a man coming into your area. What happened in this case, the up back (Davis?) never did step up, he just met the rusher where he aligned and the rusher pushed him back a step and got to his inside and he cleanly took the ball right off of Bailey's foot. This wasn't helped by the glacially slow punt action by Bailey and the rest is history

Now I don't know if this is just me, but I was kind of pissed that the guy who happen to pick up the ball and go into the end zone did nothing but pick up the ball without a Patriot within 30 yards of him, got lauded like he discovered penicillin, meanwhile the guy who actually DID the heavy lifting and blocked the punt was treated like an afterthought by both the announcers AND to some respects by his teammates. This kid made the play of the night. I hope he at LEAST got a game ball.

b. Now if THAT was the only special teams error of the night, this game STILL might have ended on a positive note. The offside on the missed FG was ANOTHER 3 points that could have changed the course of this game. Think about it, that was 10 points that ST's teams gave to the Colts. That's a horrendous result for ANY team, but it's double for a team that devotes so many resources and time to special teams.

5. On Mac Jones - Well what did we learn about Mac Jones today, because that is the eternal question when it comes to our rookie QB. I thought several things.

a. On the first pick, he made a rookie mistake. If you look at the endzone replay, when he realized what he did, he slapped the sides of his helmet so hard I was surprised he didn't give himself a concussion. Here's what he needed to do. He DID pick the right guy to go to. If he had held on to the ball another half second, Henry would have cleared the MLB's zone and they would have completed the pass. It was as simple as that.

Now I don't know if Brady was great at moving defenders with his eyes early in his career, but I DO know that he was GREAT at it for at least his last 15 years in NE. Mac HAS occasionally done this successfully, but sometimes he hasn't. This was one of those time he didn't do it and it cost him.

I didn't see what happened on the 2nd pick. Maybe someone can fill me in.

b. Can he bring his team back from a 2 or 3 score deficit to win a game, well no because that didn't happen. But he DID move the ball well enough during this game to keep his team in the game right until Taylor's long run. and the answer to that question is trending to the positive if not there yet.

c. But the most important question that WAS answered that we didn't know was how would Jones react to adversity. Now being down 20-0 with 2 picks is about as adverse as you can get and yet he managed to get his team back to 20-17 and was 2 plays away from getting the. ball back with about 1:20 left and needing just a FG to tie the game up. I think we can now say that Mac Jones handles adversity quite well, thank you very much.

d. I've been saying over and over about how Mac IS a good athlete and has the speed and short area quickness to be more elusive than the stick in the mud he is supposed to be. His 12 yd scamper maybe showed just a hint of what might be, and I don't think he was running full speed. Again though his sack showed that his instincts are not where his athletic potential is, though I will keep on harping on this. I've already thought of a few drills he can do in the off season to help him on this.

6. Jaime Collins made his biggest contribution to the defense in the this game since he came back to the team. He's slowly getting back to the strong cover LB he's shown to be over the years with a tip that led to a pick and unfortunately a drop. I think he brings more depth and flexibility to a defense that has a LOT that already.

7. Matthew Judon - Bedard has opined that maybe Judon is hitting his own wall as his hurries and QB hits have gone down the last few games. He also thought that the Fisher/Judon match up favored Judon and would be a key to this game. I fully agreed. Well it didn't turn out that way. Judon only had 2 solo tackles, and just 5 altogether, to go along with no hurries or QB hits. Now granted Wentz only attempted 12 passes (AT home, IN a dome) but Judon didn't have much of an impact. So maybe he IS hitting a wall. He's played a LOT of snaps for a DE/OLB early in the season. Something to consider.

8. File this under "back to the bad old days". The Pats were flagged for 8 penalties for 50 yds, most of which REALLY hurt. ON the other hand, the Colts got flagged for just 2 for just 13 yds. BTW- I saw about 3 OBVIOUS calls in the first half alone on the Colts. 2 holding calls and an OPI on a long ball that was. overthrown on a 3rd down, and would have been declined, but still no flag came out. On the other hand all the penalties that the Pats got were deserved IMHO, so there really isn't any complaints with the officials overall This WAS a tough road venue (as most domes are) and they simply didn't handle it as well as they should have.

9. Are they REALLY paying Carson Wentz $35MM/yr? Seems like that's a bit of an overpay. (sarcasm if you didn't get it) Given his OL and Running game, you'd think they could do better. I can tell you that Zo HATES him. Outdoors, in January, like I said earlier, I'd LOVE our chances in a rematch.

10. So if you can help me and fill in some of the blanks with YOUR comments and criticisms I'd appreciate it. And below you will find the actual comic that was referenced in the title. For those of you old enough to remember Pogo, a bit of nostalgia, For those too young, learn what subtle political satire looks like.

Hey a 2AM finish.

1639887716110.png

Last edited:
Good post ken.

The interceptions sucked, but Mac Jones did plenty of good things tonight. Still got tons of faith in that dude. Hated the pick, hope he continues to prove me wrong.

Just awful turnovers and penalties tonight reminiscent of the first 6 weeks.

I don’t have an official stat but teams that get punts blocked for TDs just don’t end up winning games

my thoughts exactly, Ken this team cannot win making these mistakes and lacking energy...they were not ready to play THIS game on the level they needed to. Everybody's been waiting for the "letdown" or the stinker by Jones. He made his share of lazy mistakes but I was satisfied with the effort and grit he put out in the 2nd half. To me it's throw this game in the trash and move on...there's nothing that a little hard work and focus in practice this week can't cure.

b. Can he bring his team back from a 2 or 3 score deficit to win a game, well no because that didn't happen. But he DID move the ball well enough during this game to keep his team in the game right until Taylor's long run. and the answer to that question is trending to the positive if not there yet.

c. But the most important question that WAS answered that we didn't know was how would Jones react to adversity. Now being down 20-0 with 2 picks is about as adverse as you can get and yet he managed to get his team back to 20-17 and was 2 plays away from getting the. ball back with about 1:20 left and needing just a FG to tie the game up. I think we can now say that Mac Jones handles adversity quite well, thank you very much.
I'd argue Mac fully completed the comeback. If the special-teams hadn't jumped offside, that 20-17 score-line would've been 17-17. I saw more than enough from Mac tonight to feel confident that he can handle adversity and lead the team from behind.

7. Matthew Judon - Bedard has opined that maybe Judon is hitting his own wall as his hurries and QB hits have gone down the last few games. He also thought that the Fisher/Judon match up favored Judon and would be a key to this game. I fully agreed. Well it didn't turn out that way. Judon only had 2 solo tackles, and just 5 altogether, to go along with no hurries or QB hits. Now granted Wentz only attempted 12 passes (AT home, IN a dome) but Judon didn't have much of an impact. So maybe he IS hitting a wall. He's played a LOT of snaps for a DE/OLB early in the season. Something to consider.
I didn't see Judon lined up over Fisher very much but I'll have to re-watch the game again. I'm not noticing Judon dropping off at all, might just be that he's getting more attention now. I don't see anything concerning with him.

I guess the thing I took away was the colts beat the pats the exact same way the pats beat the Bills. I'm not sure the Bills took a moral victory from that, so not sure the pats should either. This was a big game. One team played like it

I'd argue Mac fully completed the comeback. If the special-teams hadn't jumped offside, that 20-17 score-line would've been 17-17. I saw more than enough from Mac tonight to feel confident that he can handle adversity and lead the team from behind.

I didn't see Judon lined up over Fisher very much but I'll have to re-watch the game again. I'm not noticing Judon dropping off at all, might just be that he's getting more attention now. I don't see anything concerning with him.
Umm I can what if the colts into a blowout, thats why I dont what if. What if Wentz does not throw a pick giving a short field, what if the colts dont miss that second fg, what if the field caught fire..You cannot take plays away that actually happened to make the score different. I mean nobody lead a comeback because they lost. A comeback is where you win. When did pats fans turn into moral victory people?

my thoughts exactly, Ken this team cannot win making these mistakes and lacking energy...they were not ready to play THIS game on the level they needed to. Everybody's been waiting for the "letdown" or the stinker by Jones. He made his share of lazy mistakes but I was satisfied with the effort and grit he put out in the 2nd half. To me it's throw this game in the trash and move on...there's nothing that a little hard work and focus in practice this week can't cure.
the WHOLE team showed grit to get back into the game. I'm kind of reminded of that KC stinker from several years ago where Bill commented that after they played kept playing hard in a game they had had no chance of winning he decide he LIIKED that team, and IIRC they went on to a title that year.....and I right?

Umm I can what if the colts into a blowout, thats why I dont what if. What if Wentz does not throw a pick giving a short field, what if the colts dont miss that second fg, what if the field caught fire..You cannot take plays away that actually happened to make the score different. I mean nobody lead a comeback because they lost. A comeback is where you win. When did pats fans turn into moral victory people?

My "what if" was one play where the FG unit lined up offside, which directly, tangibly led to 3 points. It's not some complex hypothetical -- it's literally a single play which resulted in points and wouldn't have if the Patriots didn't make a mistake they rarely make.

There are varying degrees of impact that individual plays have and varying extents/probabilities of hypotheticals. That missed FG/offside penalty directly affected the scoreboard with a single play.

What if Wentz doesn't throw a pick? What if JC and Collins catch theirs'.
What if the Colts don't miss the other field goal? What if the Patriots' don't spot Indy 7 points on a blocked punt. What if Mac doesn't throw a red-area interception.
What if the field catches on fire? This is irrelevant to the competition between the two teams.

My point was that Mac Jones demonstrated the ability to lead the team back from adversity and a point deficit. Given they were down 20-0 and cut the score to 20-17 at one point, that doesn't seem like a controversial claim.

"I'd argue Mac fully completed the comeback. If the special-teams hadn't jumped offside, that 20-17 score-line would've been 17-17. I saw more than enough from Mac tonight to feel confident that he can handle adversity and lead the team from behind.".

That's an unreasonable claim/hypothetical in your opinion? Doesn't seem so to me. I'm not arguing that Mac completed the comeback in the sense he won the game, but Ken's point was that Mac has yet to demonstrate that he can actually bring the team back, and IMO I saw enough from him to tonight to make me confident saying, 'yes, he is capable of leading this team to comebacks'.

What is your point beyond just arguing over the meaning of "comeback" and hypotheticals? Do you have thoughts/feelings about Mac Jones' performance? Did you watch last night's game and feel Mac Jones' isn't capable of leading comebacks? Do you have observations about the game and thoughts regarding the Patriots to share?

Last edited:
In the first half we were losing the line of scrimmage on both O and D. We tightened that up in the 2nd half but too many mistakes cost us.

Defences are crowding the line and we are seeing 8 in the box pretty regularly. I’d love to see more play action with some shots down field to keep the D’s honest.

Surprised after a bye week with plenty of rest that the Pats seemed lethargic and unprepared for that game; coaching, execution or design??

Mac Jones seemed to personalize the Pats lethargy, he did not seem to be himself that we have seen in the 7 win stretch.

Too many penalties, although it did not effect the outcome, Duggar's ejection was idiotic on his part.

In this 4 week stretch against quality opponents they are 2 & 1, now they need to focus on getting ready for the bildo's...

Last edited:
Not much to add. Ken's and others posts summed it up. 1st half sucked and the Pats pissed me off. But team showed grit in the 2nd half. Bigger game next week.
Ken- Pogo was awesome. Spiro Agnew as the hyena,etc. Walt Kelly was great. Thanks for the flashback

Well I can be short and sweet with this one, We shot ourselves in the foot OVER and OVER and OVER again all night long. In the end they Pats aided and abetted a tough and well prepared Colts team and handed this game on a silver platter to the fans we hate the most (after the Jets of course, Joker).

It was a combination of coming out flat, and playing in a rowdy, piped-noise, playoff atmosphere against a well-coached team. It was a good experience for the team and a wakeup call as to what to expect come playoffs. I'm sort of glad that this happened and that Mac could get an early taste of what it's going to be like.

4. On the blocked punt - Even in HS, your up backs in whatever punt protection you run, are ALWAYS told to step UP to meet a man coming into your area. What happened in this case, the up back (Davis?) never did step up, he just met the rusher where he aligned and the rusher pushed him back a step and got to his inside and he cleanly took the ball right off of Bailey's foot. This wasn't helped by the glacially slow punt action by Bailey and the rest is history

You're thinking of Tavai, and this is now his SECOND whiffed block. He's responsible for 2 of the 3 blocked punts we've had this year.

a. On the first pick, he made a rookie mistake. If you look at the endzone replay, when he realized what he did, he slapped the sides of his helmet so hard I was surprised he didn't give himself a concussion. Here's what he needed to do. He DID pick the right guy to go to. If he had held on to the ball another half second, Henry would have cleared the MLB's zone and they would have completed the pass. It was as simple as that.

Now I don't know if Brady was great at moving defenders with his eyes early in his career, but I DO know that he was GREAT at it for at least his last 15 years in NE. Mac HAS occasionally done this successfully, but sometimes he hasn't. This was one of those time he didn't do it and it cost him.

I didn't see what happened on the 2nd pick. Maybe someone can fill me in.

Mac still has problems looking off and in the red zone, I think it was a case of "so close" and "it's only a short pass" but Leonard not only baited him into thinking blitz, but he read him all the way through. Mac will learn to always look off no matter how easy the pass looks.

On the 2nd INT, it was also a bit of the same- Mac telegraphed but the Colts were also prepared, they know how much we love to throw the wheel route on a 3rd and long and Bolden was cut off just after he broke outside at the stem- they had to have practiced this scenario.

This is absolutely the BIGGEST takeaway, that we have a fighter in Mac. Most QB's would go fetal after giving up 2 INT's in a playoff atmosphere game, down 20, not Mac. This bodes well for the next decade, for us.

8. File this under "back to the bad old days". The Pats were flagged for 8 penalties for 50 yds, most of which REALLY hurt. ON the other hand, the Colts got flagged for just 2 for just 13 yds. BTW- I saw about 3 OBVIOUS calls in the first half alone on the Colts. 2 holding calls and an OPI on a long ball that was. overthrown on a 3rd down, and would have been declined, but still no flag came out. On the other hand all the penalties that the Pats got were deserved IMHO, so there really isn't any complaints with the officials overall This WAS a tough road venue (as most domes are) and they simply didn't handle it as well as they should have.

It's Carl Cheffers.. what else did you expect? He's just about as bad as Bogers.. both of them are well known Pats haters.

Now, Ken, don't forget that Frank Reich was the OC in that Philly superbowl game that we lost. He learned from Doug Pederson that playing against a BB-coached team, you must never let up on the gas, and you must come well-prepared. Hence going for it on 4th and 1 on THEIR 40.

And this was one of the most well-coached games I've ever seen by an opponent. The Colts had an answer for everything we did, they were ready for our QB sneak (and had a very unique answer for it which other teams will now steal), they were ready for our pick and rub routes and did a great job jumping it or switching off, they covered our rollouts, our screen game pretty well.

And on the Taylor TD that broke the game- if Dugger hadn't been dumb enough to get himself ejected, it does not happen. Why? Hightower overshoots, McCourty fills the hole, so Taylor cuts back and finds the backside hole. Who's there? Nobody. If Dugger had been in the game, he would have been there to meet Taylor.

And next season if we do not draft a LT with our first pick, I'll lose my ****.

As bad as this loss stings, and I ****ing hate the Colts and I hate Carl ****ing Cheffers worse, I'm glad that this young team gets a taste of playoff atmosphere and intensity before it really counts.

Surprised after a bye week with plenty of rest that the Pats seemed lethargic and unprepared for that game; coaching, execution or design??

Mac Jones seemed to personalize the Pats lethargy, he did not seem to be himself that we have seen in the 7 win stretch.

Too many penalties, although it did not effect the outcome, Duggar's ejection was idiotic on his part.

In this 4 week stretch against quality opponents they are 2 & 1, now they need to focus on getting ready for the bildo's...
Thought that the Pats played better after Duggar's ejection. The silver lining was Jones play in the 4th qtr. Buffalo game will be interesting.

• Do not listen to sports radio this week. If you do you're responsible for your own misery. Please do not spread it here with Felger said this or Maz said that.
  • This game came down to three plays.
    • Blocked punt
    • Red Zone Pick
    • Offsides on the FG miss that became a make because of the penalty.
  • That's a minimum of 13 self-inflicted points. If we played Indy again in the playoffs I would be just as confident as I was going into this game especially because it would be at Gillette............I'm assuming we still win the division but really if Buffalo takes care of Carolina, and I think they will, then the divsion is going to come down to next week's game.
  • Mac Jones
    • I'm still a big fan but let's be honest, he looked like Zach Wilson for almost three quarters. One of my friends who is a MJ10 fan freaked out because I texted him that during the 3rd quarter. The kid looked like a rookie for the first time for a prolonged time. Tom Brady had moments in 01 where he looked like crap. So it doesn't mean the future is any less bright.
    • As Ken noted he showed grit. Beyond that he once again showed the ability to learn and be coached. I think this was a terrific learning experience. He's not going to get fooled by the same things again.
    • Josh has to teach him to put middle/deep in cuts in a spot where he isn't going to get his receivers killed. Brady has been a master of that. Manning pretty much ended Austin Collie's career but throwing those types of passes which lead the receiver into the safety.
  • Receivers
    • Harry's best game.
    • In general they were not separating at all. I know a lot went on Mac and it should but they're culpable as well.
    • Obviously Henry was the best player on the field for the Pats last night.
  • DL/LBs
    • Not a great night for these units and especially the LBs and not just because Taylor abused Hightower in space on that game sealing run. Hightower has rebounded from his early struggles but even in his prime he's not a guy who is going to match up with a guy like Taylor very well in space. Really there's only a handful of guys like White (TB) who can.
  • The Refs
    • Pats didn't lose because of the refs but..........
    • That has to be a penalty on the hit on Harry.
    • They overreated IMO to throwing Dugger and Pittman out of the game. They both threw swipes yes but they weren't really punches. I'd rather let that go.
    • They call that penalty on Meyers for holding and yet they let the choke holds on Judon go all night. BTW anybody know why Wentz and Judon were jawing? I went right to sleep so I didn't see any of the after the game news.
  • Run defense
    • That was disconcerting more than anything else.
    • If the Titans get Henry back that's a team I don't want to see based upon last night.
  • Run offense
    • Why did they keep trying to get wide? That's Indy's strength. They should have run it similar to Buffalo but with different concepts. IE same looks but different traps, types of zone blocking etc to make the Colts see one thing but get another.
    • I'll throw the illegal man down field penalty here. That was another self-inflicted momentum killer that should never have happened. Indy had already gotten called on that and now half the line is further down field than they were. Awful.
  • Announcing crew
    • Not the worst by any means but if you're going to keep flashing the graphic that the Patriots haven't been blanked in the first half or three-quarters since Buffalo in 16 then given the flipping context. Brissette was the QB, he was hurt and the only reason he played was because Roger wanted to appease the owners and further punish the Patriots. Tom Brady returned and they crushed the Bills a few weeks later.

I'm probably forgetting a bunch of things that I was thinking about last night. This Buffalo game just became a must win because of the Miami game to start the season. Buffalo would then win the division if they end up with the same record because of the better divisional record. Buffalo has Carolina today and then Atlanta and the Jets after the Pats. They aren't losing any of those games. Next week is the division.

I felt Jones' second INT was just a great defensive play. The ball was on target. The defender just jumped in at the right time and took the ball way.

I think it is unfair to say that Judon has hit a wall. This is the first game in seven games that he didn't record at least half a sack. It is also the first game since the second game vs. the Jets that he didn't record a QB hit. And don't forget that the last three games, including last night, he has played against some of the best offensive lines in the league where the team run heavily and threw sparely (except for the Bills where Allen threw for 30 attempts). In all of those games, In all three of the games, the QB played awful.

Forget that they are paying Wentz that much, the Colts gave up a first round pick for him. They had an opportunity to sit him for the rest of the season a few weeks ago and turn that first rounder into a second rounder. Many people speculated whether they would. They probably should have.

• Do not listen to sports radio this week. If you do you're responsible for your own misery. Please do not spread it here with Felger said this or Maz said that.
  • This game came down to three plays.
    • Blocked punt
    • Red Zone Pick
    • Offsides on the FG miss that became a make because of the penalty.
  • That's a minimum of 13 self-inflicted points. If we played Indy again in the playoffs I would be just as confident as I was going into this game especially because it would be at Gillette............I'm assuming we still win the division but really if Buffalo takes care of Carolina, and I think they will, then the divsion is going to come down to next week's game.
  • Mac Jones
    • I'm still a big fan but let's be honest, he looked like Zach Wilson for almost three quarters. One of my friends who is a MJ10 fan freaked out because I texted him that during the 3rd quarter. The kid looked like a rookie for the first time for a prolonged time. Tom Brady had moments in 01 where he looked like crap. So it doesn't mean the future is any less bright.
    • As Ken noted he showed grit. Beyond that he once again showed the ability to learn and be coached. I think this was a terrific learning experience. He's not going to get fooled by the same things again.
    • Josh has to teach him to put middle/deep in cuts in a spot where he isn't going to get his receivers killed. Brady has been a master of that. Manning pretty much ended Austin Collie's career but throwing those types of passes which lead the receiver into the safety.
  • Receivers
    • Harry's best game.
    • In general they were not separating at all. I know a lot went on Mac and it should but they're culpable as well.
    • Obviously Henry was the best player on the field for the Pats last night.
  • DL/LBs
    • Not a great night for these units and especially the LBs and not just because Taylor abused Hightower in space on that game sealing run. Hightower has rebounded from his early struggles but even in his prime he's not a guy who is going to match up with a guy like Taylor very well in space. Really there's only a handful of guys like White (TB) who can.
  • The Refs
    • Pats didn't lose because of the refs but..........
    • That has to be a penalty on the hit on Harry.
    • They overreated IMO to throwing Dugger and Pittman out of the game. They both threw swipes yes but they weren't really punches. I'd rather let that go.
    • They call that penalty on Meyers for holding and yet they let the choke holds on Judon go all night. BTW anybody know why Wentz and Judon were jawing? I went right to sleep so I didn't see any of the after the game news.
  • Run defense
    • That was disconcerting more than anything else.
    • If the Titans get Henry back that's a team I don't want to see based upon last night.
  • Run offense
    • Why did they keep trying to get wide? That's Indy's strength. They should have run it similar to Buffalo but with different concepts. IE same looks but different traps, types of zone blocking etc to make the Colts see one thing but get another.
    • I'll throw the illegal man down field penalty here. That was another self-inflicted momentum killer that should never have happened. Indy had already gotten called on that and now half the line is further down field than they were. Awful.
  • Announcing crew
    • Not the worst by any means but if you're going to keep flashing the graphic that the Patriots haven't been blanked in the first half or three-quarters since Buffalo in 16 then given the flipping context. Brissette was the QB, he was hurt and the only reason he played was because Roger wanted to appease the owners and further punish the Patriots. Tom Brady returned and they crushed the Bills a few weeks later.

I'm probably forgetting a bunch of things that I was thinking about last night. This Buffalo game just became a must win because of the Miami game to start the season. Buffalo would then win the division if they end up with the same record because of the better divisional record. Buffalo has Carolina today and then Atlanta and the Jets after the Pats. They aren't losing any of those games. Next week is the division.

I think it is unfair to say Jones played like Zach Wilson for three quarters. He didn't have a good game, but he wasn't awful. I think he completed 8 of 11 passes in the first half. Yes, one of the incompletions was arguably his worst INT of the year, but he was still efficient with his passes. One of the incompletions was a perfect pass to Meyers on the sidelines in a tight window that Meyers dropped. A pass that would have been a big gain and would have stopped the Pats having their punt blocked for a TD on the next play.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back