PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Idle thoughts - The "what I saw" edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
What goes under a bit is that we were missing two key interior players in Cowart (against the run) and Butler (interior rush) which just made things easier for the Broncos when it came to controlling the trenches and therefore the run.

While the popular thing is to look for WR trades I would be more excited about some transactions at DT.
Cowart and Butler (and maybe Allan) will be back. But, yes, an addition would be great.

HOWEVER, the situation at WR and TE is much different. These units are among the very worst in the NFL, certainly among contending teams.

HOWEVER, the situation at WR and TE is much different. These units are among the very worst in the NFL, certainly among contending teams.

I disagree on TE. We have no idea what we have there because the players are still getting there. And given the resources invested during the draft I find it unlikely that we will use even more assets for short term relief.

WR is a different story obviously.

Injury depleted OL + no downfield targets at receiver/TE + no practice = that result.

Cam has had some bad plays but I think he's running into the exact same frustrations Brady had in 2019, except instead of bailing on plays instantly like Old Man Brady did last year he's forcing more throws lately. He can bail out some bad plays by running sometimes but it's not a panacea.

I thought their game against the Titans in the playoffs last year was even worse. Especially on offense.
I was at that game, they were pretty bad.

Biggest takeaways for me were:

1. Belichick coached a terrible game. Not challenging White's obvious first down, not accepting the penalty and allowing a 54 yard FG attempt from a good kicker, stupid wasted TO among other questionable decisions. He's the biggest reason we lost.

2. Lack of skill players has been crippling. We've been talking about this for a few years now. Our receivers are not able to get separation and make plays. We don't have a viable TE, didn't last season either. The personnel is horrible and Bill is squarely at fault for it.

3. Injured OL, no practices. It obviously hurt us.

4. Cam wasn't good yesterday. He wasn't very good against the Raiders either. Hopefully he bounces back next game.

One other note that should have been added to the OP, and its something people should take solace in. The Pats, our Pats played VERY hard. They had a LOT of reasons to pack it in early in that game. The lack of practices, the injuries pregame, the injuries during the game, the bad calls by the officials, the unlucky bounces, the fumbles the picks, the bad snaps, etc. But with all that going against them, they STILL hung tough and had a chance at the end to win a game they had no business winning.

Not saying this was a moral victory or anything, just an observation from a former coach.

I need to hear your thoughts every week, Coach Ken...you are one of the cornerstones of this site. That is eactly what a came away with after this game, yeah they more or less sucked in a lot of areas but damn, they played hard. I'll add, IF TE is so hard to learn in this offense wouldn't it behoove the coaching staff to make it more 2020 compatible? George Kittle doesn't seem to have any problems getting open. Maybe a change in philosophy is in order here.

What goes under a bit is that we were missing two key interior players in Cowart (against the run) and Butler (interior rush) which just made things easier for the Broncos when it came to controlling the trenches and therefore the run.

While the popular thing is to look for WR trades I would be more excited about some transactions at DT.

Agreed DT or Defensive End. Bentley looked good Sunday and if Jennings and Uche are OK, we are probably OK at LB since Phillips and Dugger with be playing a lot. Imagine having Wilfork or Seymour right now with our secondary.

Then how come other teams' rookie TE's are lightyears ahead of ours?

I agree the run game was a problem but that has been pretty standard and I don't expect them to turn into a fearsome foursome. Lindsey is fast and quick, difficult to contain. To me, those long pass plays were more the problem. The first one to Patrick, the 3rd and 26 and the TE against Dugger were killers. No one has still given any explanation why Wino was in less than half the snaps. Defense was adequate but against a better team would have been a disaster. You are right on about DT. I still can't get more worked up about WR's than Cam's performance. Lot of excuses out there for him. Where was McDaniel's. No adjustments. Blame Harry? Good on contested catches, jump balls? We don't know because no one throws them to him. If the top three are so bad, play the bottom three. McDaniel's and Cam were the ones exposed in my mind.

My thoughts on this game:
It sucked.

Not because the Patriots lost.
Not because Cam looked indecisive and "off".
Not because the defense gave up a 3rd and forever play.
But for me it sucked because it was not an escape from the pandemic that the rest of the leagues have been able to provide. The NBA, NHL and MLB never allowed the virus to interfere with the quality of play. The few incidents they had were contained and they rescheduled games and did the right thing. The NFL is fumbling around and the distraction from the real world that sports usually provides me, isn't there in the NFL. I don't know if they will ever get a handle on it unless they change their protocols. It's too bad because we know so much more about the virus when those other leagues started and it seems like a decent plan could have been developed.

Oh well, hopefully Things get figured out, because i really was enjoying the games this year, seeing this team grow and evolve and play great team defense. It's kinda fun when the expectations are a bit lower for a change.
It is what it is and provides a challenging element to the season. It won't be perfect but its better than no football at all. This is after all a transition season and who knows what we will get. Maybe Cam will improve with practice, maybe offensive coaching will improve, or not. At least this poor performance had some rationale behind it, unlike Miami last year. Those are the losses that rankle me.

Biggest takeaways for me were:

1. Belichick coached a terrible game. Not challenging White's obvious first down, not accepting the penalty and allowing a 54 yard FG attempt from a good kicker, stupid wasted TO among other questionable decisions. He's the biggest reason we lost.

2. Lack of skill players has been crippling. We've been talking about this for a few years now. Our receivers are not able to get separation and make plays. We don't have a viable TE, didn't last season either. The personnel is horrible and Bill is squarely at fault for it.

3. Injured OL, no practices. It obviously hurt us.

4. Cam wasn't good yesterday. He wasn't very good against the Raiders either. Hopefully he bounces back next game.
agree with #3&4. As a registered BB apologist I must disagree on #1. If Bill didn't clearly see the play, he relies on other people to advise him on challenging. If they didn't, he doesn't. Accepting the penalty-judgement call, accept they have a chance for a first down or still have a shot at a closer field goal. If they get a first down, run the clock and perhaps score a TD, game is out of reach. Take a FG if made, game still in reach. That's what happened, just couldn't close it out. Agree coaching sucked but it was McDaniel's. I believe Izzo had 3 targets and caught all 3, bad fumble. They don't throw to Asiasi for some reason so we don't know what he can do.

I'm not totally up to speed on the 49ers this year - but I assume they're still a very strong running team. Patriots DT injuries make me think there could be big issues. Last week the Broncos RB were 4.25 ypc. Hopefully Beau Allen is about to return.

Sweeping the California trip is a tough ask.

Yeah they'll make things very difficult if they go less than 2-1 in their next 3. 2-1 should be doable.

I live out here...and I have seen all of the Chargers/Rams games. My impressions so far:

a.) The Rams are 4-0 vs. the NFC East. They lost @ BUF and @ SF....our next two opponents. So, we should have some sort of a measuring stick. Also, their secondary is weak....we can pass on that secondary...just run away from Donald basically. On offense, they barely have a rushing game...it is really just Woods and Kupp moving the chains. That plays into the hands of our secondary. Also, the Rams will have played in ARIZONA 4 days prior to the game...they will be FLYING HOME when we will already be in L.A.

b.) The Chargers might be more scary with Herbert...the kid can play...but Ekeler might still be out by then. If so, we just have to clamp down on Keenan Allen...and I think we have a good chance to win. Plus this one comes with 7 days of prep.

c.) I am seeing the Pats basically set up shop in L.A. from Friday, December 8th through Thursday, December 14th. Bet you the logistics are being worked out right now...we will probably fly in and practice in L.A. with a walk through on Sat, treatment on Mon, practice on Tuesday, and a light walk through on Wed... and players will likely be sealed in their hotel rooms the entire trip.

d.) As a bonus, this also gives us 10 days before we play the Fish on 12/20....then 8 more days before the Bills on MNF (12/28). Just perfect with Xmas in between...then the Jets on 1/3/2021 to finish the season before we potentially enter a playoff bubble. We just have to keep our heads above water in the AFC East to have a shot in the final 3 weeks of the season. Right now, we are only a game out...and the Bills gotta play the Fish who are some good after all....

Seems wildly optimistic to entertain 11 or 10 wins at this point. Prior to losing people and the two Injuries yesterday, I could be on board, and I thought 10 was very doable. I think 9 is a struggle at this point. SF just beat a good rams team, Buffalo will be tough, the jets SHOULD be a gimme. The 5 after, maybe Houston is a likely win but none of those others are. The bottom line is outside the Jets all of these games will be difficult. This team has one discernable strength in its secondary, but how many games will that win alone? 9 wins is optimistic, worst case i think we struggle and get 7.

It's all about match ups for me....

The Niners will not be running the ball down our throats. McKinnon might make some big plays in the passing game. Kittle will be a problem...Samuel and Akiyu (sp?) too. But that goes against our strength. We are hurting in the trenches right now. Thank god the Niners don't have Nick Bosa...but they still have other guys to abuse our shuffled OL...I just hope that with some practice..the OL will put together something decent by then.

The Bills' run D looked horrible last night...but yeah...they won't be playing their DB's deep though....and the game is in Buffalo.

The JEts? A dumpster fire....but glad to get an AFCE roadie out of the way before the half way point with only warm Miami left on the sked.

As for the next 5....Baltimore/Houston/Arizona/LA/LA...if we are to do anything this season we gotta go 3-2 here. I am pretty confident in a L.A. double dip though...but don't want to count on it. Baltimore and Arizona are in Foxborough though....

But.One.Game.At.A.Time. I still believe 10 wins is attainable...even 11.

The 5 after, maybe Houston is a likely win but none of those others are. The bottom line is outside the Jets all of these games will be difficult. This team has one discernable strength in its secondary, but how many games will that win alone? 9 wins is optimistic, worst case i think we struggle and get 7.

I don't see a game they should be underdogs on the schedule after @Bills and against the Ravens. All other games are winnable if they can built on what they have shown in the first 3 games. And after seeing how KC totally rolled the Bills I am not even sure we should be underdogs traveling to Buffalo.

Ultimately the question whether we will make the playoffs will have infinitely more to do with a) more COVID cases limiting practice and b) injuries. And both are factors you can not really control even if you try to be as careful as possible. If we luck out on both I see no reason we can't go on a long winning streak.

Things are never as bad as they look after losses and also never as good as they appear after wins.

I don't see a game they should be underdogs on the schedule after @Bills and against the Ravens. All other games are winnable if they can built on what they have shown in the first 3 games. And after seeing how KC totally rolled the Bills I am not even sure we should be underdogs traveling to Buffalo.

Ultimately the question whether we will make the playoffs will have infinitely more to do with a) more COVID cases limiting practice and b) injuries. And both are factors you can not really control even if you try to be as careful as possible. If we luck out on both I see no reason we can't go on a long winning streak.

Things are never as bad as they look after losses and also never as good as they appear after wins.
"not being winnable" and being the underdog are greatly different things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes