PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Content Post Idle thoughts - the "we finally won one" edition

This has an opening post with good commentary and information, which we definitely recommend reading.

patfanken

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I actually liked the fact that the Pats looked like they have a long way to go and still won a game by 3 scores. In fact while the offense might have looked better last week in a loss, I can see the plan and how it is unfolding and I am resigned to be patient as it is clear that the offense is a work in progress. The defense as it stands, awes and disappoints at the same time. Hard to complain about giving up 6 points in an away game, but most of my cushion throws came when they were on defense.

This was a great building block game. A win was put in the box, while there are enough obvious holes still to be filled that no one will rest on their laurels as the Saints come to Foxboro and the Bucs to follow. With 3 out of 4 home games to start the season, 2-2 start has to be the bottom line. There are a lot of road games in their future as they enter October and the competition gets better.

Again I do this without checking out other post game analyses (which I'm sure are great and I look forward to reading them. These are just my general observations after watching the game and looking at the basic stats. So lets get this started and break it down.

A. Offense

1. general observations: NOT a good day by any level. Our supposed potent run game averaged less than 4 ypc. Our supposed star rookie QB put up only 183 pass yds at a measly 6.2ypc. and had a pretty horrible 2nd half. The OL rarely opened any significant holes in the run game and gave up 3 sacks most of which looked like jail breaks On the plus side the receivers caught pretty much everything that was thrown their way with just one Smith target that seemed to go through his hands. Those were my first thoughts after I turned off the set after the game and went out for a walk (it was a BEAUTIFUL day). While I walked and thought about the game a few things occurred to me.

Many have commented how conservative our play calling was the first game, and nothing that happened today will make them change their minds on Josh's play calling. Sometimes I find myself calling for them to just throw the damned ball down the field! When they threw that seem pass to Henry, my comment on the game day thread was," FINALLY!!!!!!!" But that's the kind of emotional reactions that fans have, especially fans that really care. However on my walk, my coach's brain clicked in and I thought, "the Jets let THEIR rookie QB be aggressive and they gave him full rein to throw the ball all over the place, while the Pats seem to keep Jones on a tight leash with lots of completions for not many yards. But in the end, which QB is being handled better. Which one is more likely to make steady progress. My coach's brain reminded me that the NFL season is a MARATHON and not a sprint and games in September should be building blocks for December and January. Going into NJ and a hostile crowd and blitzing defense was NOT the time to let Mac "sling it".

In one of the post game network shows they had a piece on the rookie QB's. They showed pictures of Fields (who got significant snaps his game) Wilson, Mills, and Lawrence, with their meager stat lines. The one picture that was missing was our Mac Jones, who while didn't light up the field with his 183 yds and bad 2nd half, he did manage a 19 point win. What it showed is that it is HARD being a rookie NFL QB and it is OUR guy who is handling it better than any of the guys who were picked before him. And one of the reasons WHY that is, is that he is being handled the best. So while I watch these early games I will CONTINUE to demand that we be more aggressive with the passing game, when the fan in me settles down after the game, the coach in me will allow me to understand just why it is happening that way.

2. QB - Mac made ANOTHER of those "I can't believe he just did that" moves that he did last week, when he literally spiked a ball to avoid a sack, when he could have just thrown the ball 5 more yds and it would have been just an incompletion. I'd like to think that these will diminish and won't be a once a game thing. On the plus side he was careful with the ball and kept it out of trouble, on the down side we completed only 25% of our 3rd down chances. He had only 6.2ypc and the team only had the ball less than 10 minutes the entire 2nd half.

There were a couple of times when I thought he seemed to take the easy short throw (that the Jets were covering very well BTW) and missing a few second level throws down the field if he held it a second more. The most obvious was the double pass when he had Agular alone in the endzone and threw the easy one for a 19 yd gain without even looking downfield.

All in all I think he did just OKay. Kind of C/C+ game which may be Okay given it was his first road game and at the end of the game he was just doing what they could to manage the lead. He is still far and away the best rookie QB....so far.

OL - Another game with too many QB hits and sacks to go along with more penalties, though fewer than last week. Running lanes were rare, and the Jets DL seemed to control the LOS for the most part. Now WHY that was happening can't be all be about Trent Brown's absence. But I'll wait for Bedard's OL breakdown later this week before I comment further. But whatever the reason and whomever is to blame, the bottom line is that it's just not good enough right now. But RIGHT NOW are the operative words here. Because he could practice Friday, I expect Trent Brown back this week and maybe we will see the OL START to live up to its rep as one of the best in the NFL.. They will need to be because IIRC the Saints DL is supposed to be be very good.

TE's - I would like to see them get downfield more, but still, so far so good 9 targets for 6 catches and 70 yds with the one seam pass to Henry that warmed my soul and showed some of the promise that they could bring Smith had one miss, but by and large they are catching the ball well. I watch Henry block a few times on runs and he's a tryer. Stays in front of his man for the most part, but doesn't MOVE him, like Gronk could do. Pretty much the same for Smith I saw a a number of times when they tried to use the TE to trap a DLman inside, each time they blocked him, but the plays generally didn't gain much because of so much traffic their was from the rest of the blocks and the quick filling of the holes by LB's

WR -9 catches on 11 targets continue to show that our WR's are doing a very good job catching the ball. However those 9 catches only amounted to 70yds of offense. Are they just not getting open on deeper routes, or is Mac going to his first option too fast and not letting them get open, or is the OL not giving the QB enough time to look deeper. I don't know, but here's what I DO know. Defense are going to start crowding those short zones and dare the Pats to throw deeper UNTIL they start to do it and do it successfully.

RB - You can bet that Harris' 26yd TD run will be on a LOT of NFL highlight reels after this season is over. You might not see a better run the rest of the way. SEVEN guys got a hand on him (some more than a hand). And for icing on the cake, it was our plucky QB who was the 2nd guy there to push him into the endzone (Andrews was the first). Not a great day for OUR RB's. While the Jets had 4 RB's with ypc over 4, we didn't have ANY! Not that I could blame our guys I don't recall even a successful run where they weren't getting hit on the LOS.

Disappointed that JJ didn't get more touches. He had one very nice run that was called back, but I was hoping for more of a look.

B. DEFENSE

a. overview - It is hard to be critical of any defense in this offensive era that allows only 6 points and creates 4 turnovers and 4 sacks, but this effort wasn't without its flaws. The fact that the Jets had 155 yds rushing and all 4 of their RB's had over 4ypc stood out. And it's success was consistent throughout the game. On the other hand the 2ndary was awesome with 4 picks and outstanding tackling and support. Again I will look forward to Bedard's break down to see where the blame lay on the run game.

b. The front 7 - I've talked enough about the apparent problems with the run game in case you missed it. ;). Is Godsheax the problem. I saw Barmore moved off the ball on occasion Basically he was setting the LOS but a yard back before he stopped the momentum. There were also a few plays where he was a force. That rookie thing again. Old friend Lawrence Guy who was having an awful start of the year going back to camp, seemed to have a better day. The pressure was OK with 4 sacks and number of hits.

I didn't hear Uche's name at all in the first half and was wondering why. I noticed that the Pats were setting him up very wide to start his rushes and he seems to be very soft coming up the field outside the TE box. Then I remembered that Wilson scrambled or rolled, he liked to do it to his right (at Uche) and it was likely that Uche was told to keep him inside him, expecting him to do that. Overall the Pats DID keep Wilson from moving to his right most of the game, and in the 2nd half Uche was active enough to have 2 sacks giving him 3 in 2 games. Uche isn't dominating...yet, but he seems to be an effective outside rusher who can only get better.

Bentley looked to have an effective game if the stats tell the story, and Hightower's presence was felt more than the first game. Still wondering if Hightower has retired in his mind and wanted one more check. We shall see. Bottom line the front 7 is still a work in progress and I'll be OK with this spotty performance if it leads to something better.

c. Secondary - With their best player 4 games away, this is still the best unit on the team.. by far. We can all laud the usual suspects. JC is going to be a very rich young man next season. But I want to point out someone who looks to trending to being a real contributor back there. Joe Williams ran with their speed guys well with a couple of break ups. As usual he was excellent against the run as well. His development, if it continues bodes well for this secondary's depth and flexibility.

Once again the TE's were NOT a factor for our opponent - 3 catches for 18 yds and only 4 targets show that our S's (mostly Duggar and Phillips) have neutralized their TE assignments.

This secondary will be better when Gilmore returns in a month, but it is more than adequate now and likely will be the strength of the defense for most of the season. I hate looking ahead, BUT the Buc's have the best offensive talent in the league....by far. And Brady looks like he hasn't lost a micrometer off his fastball, with the best head in NFL history. So it will be very interesting to see this offense against our secondary and decent pass rush. They won't have a bigger challenge all year.

Special teams

It's going to be a great bar bet trivia question. who has the longest consecutive FG streak for the Pats? After 25 years of Adam and Gotskowski, Nick Folk is NOT the guy you'd expect. But he is, and if you listened to his presser you can't help but come away with how cerebral he is about his craft. He talked about different hold positions for different wind conditions and his knowledge of how winds affect the kick in different stadiums. He also gave a lot of credit to Jack and Joe and how serious each is of their part in the operation. Interesting guy.

Bailey's punting was once again superb, but he had one KO that went out of bounds given the Jets the ball on the 40 and another short KO that came back to the 40. And I don't know if it was the wind or by design. but almost ALL of his KO's were returned. Most got to or close to the 25. Not so good.

And a few words about the Jets. if I were a Jet fan, I would be thrilled with the work of that patchwork OL. They really held up in the middle vs the Pats pass rush, and opened a lot more holes in the run game than the Pats did, As for their QB, while he made a few eye popping throws, but I worry about his long term future in the stench of the Jets organization. The Jets fans were booing by the 2nd quarter and wondering why they are so cursed. Their DL played well, consistently making the Pats run game suspect, and their DB's and LB's covered the Pats short passing well and made tackle after tackle. Finally CJ Mosely might be worth the 2 year wait. The guy is a one man eraser. We play them late in October, so it will be interesting to see how the 2 QB have progressed in about a month. In the past the general results have been very tight games in NJ and blow outs at home. we shall see.

One last factoid that I noticed as I scanned through the stats. The Jets won the TOP, only scored 6 points, yet only punted ONCE. The more you let that sink in the more odd it becomes. To win the TOP when you have 4 TO;s is remarkable in an of itself, but the fact they only punted ONCE kind of blows my mind. Has that even happened in an NFL game before? 6 points and one punt

OK, 2am Got this done early ;). Have a good night Pats fans, we broke our 2021 cherry and the best is yet to come.

Last edited:
I found myself saying the same thing re: Mac vs Wilson. Jets are asking Wilson to win them the game and the Pats are asking Mac to not lose them the game. A simple difference in framing that direction/coaching is producing vastly diff results..not that we should be surprised.

At times it can be frustrating..esp considering money spent on the offense but it's likely a nesecary step in the development of our younger "core" players. I hope. I hope this isn't truly a reflection of how McDaniels wants to play out this entire season. More than a few times I saw one of TEs very open going down field. I was a little worried that McDaniels was going to throw water on everyone's burning hot expectations of our new TEs (the Double TE was an O'Brien specialty not McDaniels) so far.. 50/50 we are getting production which is more than can be said from last year ..but (and I know 2 weeks in does not answer any questions) theres still work to do there to reach the potential.

If we can keep up with the time of possession and playing good team defense I give ourselves a fighting chance to win any game..but as we saw last week playing like this usually allows 1 or 2 plays to decide a game. Have to be mistake free.

Nelson Agholor being able to produce in an offense that's not requiring him to just run deep is a pleasant surprise. Perhaps a majority of folks underestimated his versatility/skill. So far no complaints outside of the bad drops in camp. Meyers/Agholor is turning into a nice little solid duo.

Want to see more from Bourne. He has a little more of that "juice" with the ball in his hand you can see...getting the ball in his hand is what isnt happening as often as we'd/he'd like. How much of that is due to playcall vs him being covered I don't know rn.

A little dissapointed from LB play as a whole..over 2 weeks. Too early to tell given the situation. I'm a little concerned as to how we plan on stopping Kamara next week if the saints clean up their act that is.

James White is the leading receiver for the pats. Just like we all predicted....what a STUD.

Agree with almost all of the OP.

OLine has major RT issues to fix.
TEs are talented and can do even more if given the chance.
Defense needs to improve at NT, and I feel Bentley missed on a lot of tackles.

The Pats OL was allowing so much pressure in the 1st half against just 4 pass rushers that it was hard to tell if the quick throws were by design or necessity. Felt that they played extremely conservative in the 2nd half once the game was in hand which was fairly early. Jones missed a few throws that would have made his day much better - throw that sailed to Smith over the middle seemed destined for a first down if on target, had Hunter for a 1st down on the rollout to the left that was just an underthrow and appeared to have Meyers for a big gain on a slant but ball was tipped away by weakside LB. If those 3 plays were completed the entire passing narrative changes.

Last edited:
Our supposed star rookie QB put up only 183 pass yds at a measly 6.2ypc. and had a pretty horrible 2nd half.
100%. You could see his internal clock got all out of whack because the OL was so bad that he was rushing everything and his fundamentals nose dived. One example is when he rolled out and actually had Henry coming back to him open for a first down, but fell away and buried the ball in the dirt at Henry's feet instead of stepping into the throw (even though the closest DL was 2-3 steps away - so he had time to set and fire).

It didn't matter whether shotgun or under center either - he simply didn't have time to allow many pass plays to develop which to me was the reason for the gadget plays coming in. Running plays were similar in their slow development and poor initial engagement by the line; getting so bad that Mac was hit before the handoff (that play turned out okay, but still how often does that happen?).

This is a critical development point. The back end was able to address the slants and off-man coverage from the first game - so similarly the focus this week has to be on OL play as the dip in fundamentals for the rookie QB we saw in the second half cant become a trend (and I believe this was because the OL play was so poor).

I think he's too confident a kid and steeped in the mental aspect of the game for that bad habit outcome to happen, but we had an example of one type result of a shell shocked "I gotta do this all myself" QB right across the field - and as you said this staff "gets" that.

Many have commented how conservative our play calling was the first game, and nothing that happened today will make them change their minds on Josh's play calling. Sometimes I find myself calling for them to just throw the damned ball down the field! When they threw that seem pass to Henry, my comment on the game day thread was," FINALLY!!!!!!!" But that's the kind of emotional reactions that fans have, especially fans that really care. However on my walk, my coach's brain clicked in and I thought, "the Jets let THEIR rookie QB be aggressive and they gave him full rein to throw the ball all over the place, while the Pats seem to keep Jones on a tight leash with lots of completions for not many yards. But in the end, which QB is being handled better. Which one is more likely to make steady progress. My coach's brain reminded me that the NFL season is a MARATHON and not a sprint and games in September should be building blocks for December and January. Going into NJ and a hostile crowd and blitzing defense was NOT the time to let Mac "sling it".

In one of the post game network shows they had a piece on the rookie QB's. They showed pictures of Fields (who got significant snaps his game) Wilson, Mills, and Lawrence, with their meager stat lines. The one picture that was missing was our Mac Jones, who while didn't light up the field with his 183 yds and bad 2nd half, he did manage a 19 point win. What it showed is that it is HARD being a rookie NFL QB and it is OUR guy who is handling it better than any of the guys who were picked before him. And one of the reasons WHY that is, is that he is being handled the best. So while I watch these early games I will CONTINUE to demand that we be more aggressive with the passing game, when the fan in me settles down after the game, the coach in me will allow me to understand just why it is happening that way.

Great observation, Ken!

RB - You can bet that Harris' 26yd TD run will be on a LOT of NFL highlight reels after this season is over. You might not see a better run the rest of the way. SEVEN guys got a hand on him (some more than a hand). And for icing on the cake, it was our plucky QB who was the 2nd guy there to push him into the endzone (Andrews was the first). Not a great day for OUR RB's. While the Jets had 4 RB's with ypc over 4, we didn't have ANY! Not that I could blame our guys I don't recall even a successful run where they weren't getting hit on the LOS.

B. DEFENSE

a. overview - It is hard to be critical of any defense in this offensive era that allows only 6 points and creates 4 turnovers and 4 sacks, but this effort wasn't without its flaws. The fact that the Jets had 155 yds rushing and all 4 of their RB's had over 4ypc stood out. And it's success was consistent throughout the game. On the other hand the 2ndary was awesome with 4 picks and outstanding tackling and support. Again I will look forward to Bedard's break down to see where the blame lay on the run game.
Interesting stats through 2 games:

Pats' rushing totals: 54 carries, 226 yards, 2 TD's.

Opponents totals: 54 carries, 226 yards, 1 TD.

I'm no line play expert but I haven't felt great about Godchaux at any point. Did we even play Carl Davis yesterday? He seems like he should be our best run stopper.

I feel like the OL is just having to many instant failures in pass protection. It's one thing to get beat 1 on 1 somewhere along the line, but if you don't even make the guy take an extra step it really cuts down on your ability to take intermediate to deep shots to open up the game.

Maybe I missed it but it doesn't seem like they're running many pass plays with extra blockers?

Was hoping for D + Running + ST to lead the way in 2021 while the young QB gets experience. I think all three of those phases stands to improve.

OL - Another game with too many QB hits and sacks to go along with more penalties, though fewer than last week. Running lanes were rare, and the Jets DL seemed to control the LOS for the most part. Now WHY that was happening can't be all be about Trent Brown's absence. But I'll wait for Bedard's OL breakdown later this week before I comment further. But whatever the reason and whomever is to blame, the bottom line is that it's just not good enough right now. But RIGHT NOW are the operative words here. Because he could practice Friday, I expect Trent Brown back this week and maybe we will see the OL START to live up to its rep as one of the best in the NFL.. They will need to be because IIRC the Saints DL is supposed to be be very good.

The common denominator is Scarnechia not being the o-line coach.

Maybe I missed it but it doesn't seem like they're running many pass plays with extra blockers?
They had Henry in A LOT in pass pro especially in the first half. That was one of the reasons he was so wide open on the seam route - he'd lulled them to sleep that when he was on the line he was blocking and maybe slipping out at most as an outlet.

Anyone see Darnold's play yesterday for the Panthers or the week before? Looked like a legit NFL QB.. Getting away from the Jets was his best career move so far....

100%. You could see his internal clock got all out of whack because the OL was so bad that he was rushing everything and his fundamentals nose dived. One example is when he rolled out and actually had Henry coming back to him open for a first down, but fell away and buried the ball in the dirt at Henry's feet instead of stepping into the throw (even though the closest DL was 2-3 steps away - so he had time to set and fire).

It didn't matter whether shotgun or under center either - he simply didn't have time to allow many pass plays to develop which to me was the reason for the gadget plays coming in. Running plays were similar in their slow development and poor initial engagement by the line; getting so bad that Mac was hit before the handoff (that play turned out okay, but still how often does that happen?).

This is a critical development point. The back end was able to address the slants and off-man coverage from the first game - so similarly the focus this week has to be on OL play as the dip in fundamentals for the rookie QB we saw in the second half cant become a trend (and I believe this was because the OL play was so poor).

I think he's too confident a kid and steeped in the mental aspect of the game for that bad habit outcome to happen, but we had an example of one type result of a shell shocked "I gotta do this all myself" QB right across the field - and as you said this staff "gets" that.

Bad habits would be horrible if we mess him up long term as a result of playing him too early.

I actually liked the fact that the Pats looked like they have a long way to go and still won a game by 3 scores. In fact while the offense might have looked better last week in a loss, I can see the plan and how it is unfolding and I am resigned to be patient as it is clear that the offense is a work in progress. The defense as it stands, awes and disappoints at the same time. Hard to complain about giving up 6 points in an away game, but most of my cushion throws came when they were on defense.

This was a great building block game. A win was put in the box, while there are enough obvious holes still to be filled that no one will rest on their laurels as the Saints come to Foxboro and the Bucs to follow. With 3 out of 4 home games to start the season, 2-2 start has to be the bottom line. There are a lot of road games in their future as they enter October and the competition gets better.

Again I do this without checking out other post game analyses (which I'm sure are great and I look forward to reading them. These are just my general observations after watching the game and looking at the basic stats. So lets get this started and break it down.

A. Offense

1. general observations: NOT a good day by any level. Our supposed potent run game averaged less than 4 ypc. Our supposed star rookie QB put up only 183 pass yds at a measly 6.2ypc. and had a pretty horrible 2nd half. The OL rarely opened any significant holes in the run game and gave up 3 sacks most of which looked like jail breaks On the plus side the receivers caught pretty much everything that was thrown their way with just one Smith target that seemed to go through his hands. Those were my first thoughts after I turned off the set after the game and went out for a walk (it was a BEAUTIFUL day). While I walked and thought about the game a few things occurred to me.

2. QB - Mac made ANOTHER of those "I can't believe he just did that" moves that he did last week, when he literally spiked a ball to avoid a sack, when he could have just thrown the ball 5 more yds and it would have been just an incompletion. I'd like to think that these will diminish and won't be a once a game thing. On the plus side he was careful with the ball and kept it out of trouble, on the down side we completed only 25% of our 3rd down chances. He had only 6.2ypc and the team only had the ball less than 10 minutes the entire 2nd half.

There were a couple of times when I thought he seemed to take the easy short throw (that the Jets were covering very well BTW) and missing a few second level throws down the field if he held it a second more. The most obvious was the double pass when he had Agular alone in the endzone and threw the easy one for a 19 yd gain without even looking downfield.

All in all I think he did just OKay. Kind of C/C+ game which may be Okay given it was his first road game and at the end of the game he was just doing what they could to manage the lead. He is still far and away the best rookie QB....so far.

TE's - I would like to see them get downfield more, but still, so far so good 9 targets for 6 catches and 70 yds with the one seam pass to Henry that warmed my soul and showed some of the promise that they could bring Smith had one miss, but by and large they are catching the ball well. I watch Henry block a few times on runs and he's a tryer. Stays in front of his man for the most part, but doesn't MOVE him, like Gronk could do. Pretty much the same for Smith I saw a a number of times when they tried to use the TE to trap a DLman inside, each time they blocked him, but the plays generally didn't gain much because of so much traffic their was from the rest of the blocks and the quick filling of the holes by LB's

WR -9 catches on 11 targets continue to show that our WR's are doing a very good job catching the ball. However those 9 catches only amounted to 70yds of offense. Are they just not getting open on deeper routes, or is Mac going to his first option too fast and not letting them get open, or is the OL not giving the QB enough time to look deeper. I don't know, but here's what I DO know. Defense are going to start crowding those short zones and dare the Pats to throw deeper UNTIL they start to do it and do it successfully.

Disappointed that JJ didn't get more touches. He had one very nice run that was called back, but I was hoping for more of a look.

B. DEFENSE

b. The front 7 - I've talked enough about the apparent problems with the run game in case you missed it. ;). Is Godsheax the problem. I saw Barmore moved off the ball on occasion Basically he was setting the LOS but a yard back before he stopped the momentum. There were also a few plays where he was a force. That rookie thing again. Old friend Lawrence Guy who was having an awful start of the year going back to camp, seemed to have a better day. The pressure was OK with 4 sacks and number of hits.

I didn't hear Uche's name at all in the first half and was wondering why. I noticed that the Pats were setting him up very wide to start his rushes and he seems to be very soft coming up the field outside the TE box. Then I remembered that Wilson scrambled or rolled, he liked to do it to his right (at Uche) and it was likely that Uche was told to keep him inside him, expecting him to do that. Overall the Pats DID keep Wilson from moving to his right most of the game, and in the 2nd half Uche was active enough to have 2 sacks giving him 3 in 2 games. Uche isn't dominating...yet, but he seems to be an effective outside rusher who can only get better.

Bentley looked to have an effective game if the stats tell the story, and Hightower's presence was felt more than the first game. Still wondering if Hightower has retired in his mind and wanted one more check. We shall see. Bottom line the front 7 is still a work in progress and I'll be OK with this spotty performance if it leads to something better.

c. Secondary - With their best player 4 games away, this is still the best unit on the team.. by far. We can all laud the usual suspects. JC is going to be a very rich young man next season. But I want to point out someone who looks to trending to being a real contributor back there. Joe Williams ran with their speed guys well with a couple of break ups. As usual he was excellent against the run as well. His development, if it continues bodes well for this secondary's depth and flexibility.

Once again the TE's were NOT a factor for our opponent - 3 catches for 18 yds and only 4 targets show that our S's (mostly Duggar and Phillips) have neutralized their TE assignments.

This secondary will be better when Gilmore returns in a month, but it is more than adequate now and likely will be the strength of the defense for most of the season. I hate looking ahead, BUT the Buc's have the best offensive talent in the league....by far. And Brady looks like he hasn't lost a micrometer off his fastball, with the best head in NFL history. So it will be very interesting to see this offense against our secondary and decent pass rush. They won't have a bigger challenge all year.

Special teams

It's going to be a great bar bet trivia question. who has the longest consecutive FG streak for the Pats? After 25 years of Adam and Gotskowski, Nick Folk is NOT the guy you'd expect. But he is, and if you listened to his presser you can't help but come away with how cerebral he is about his craft. He talked about different hold positions for different wind conditions and his knowledge of how winds affect the kick in different stadiums. He also gave a lot of credit to Jack and Joe and how serious each is of their part in the operation. Interesting guy.

Bailey's punting was once again superb, but he had one KO that went out of bounds given the Jets the ball on the 40 and another short KO that came back to the 40. And I don't know if it was the wind or by design. but almost ALL of his KO's were returned. Most got to or close to the 25. Not so good.

And a few words about the Jets. if I were a Jet fan, I would be thrilled with the work of that patchwork OL. They really held up in the middle vs the Pats pass rush, and opened a lot more holes in the run game than the Pats did, As for their QB, while he made a few eye popping throws, but I worry about his long term future in the stench of the Jets organization. The Jets fans were booing by the 2nd quarter and wondering why they are so cursed. Their DL played well, consistently making the Pats run game suspect, and their DB's and LB's covered the Pats short passing well and made tackle after tackle. Finally CJ Mosely might be worth the 2 year wait. The guy is a one man eraser. We play them late in October, so it will be interesting to see how the 2 QB have progressed in about a month. In the past the general results have been very tight games in NJ and blow outs at home. we shall see.

One last factoid that I noticed as I scanned through the stats. The Jets won the TOP, only scored 6 points, yet only punted ONCE. The more you let that sink in the more odd it becomes. To win the TOP when you have 4 TO;s is remarkable in an of itself, but the fact they only punted ONCE kind of blows my mind. Has that even happened in an NFL game before? 6 points and one punt

OK, 2am Got this done early ;). Have a good night Pats fans, we broke our 2021 cherry and the best is yet to come.

Was Mac Jones Good Enough To Win? - YouTube

Here's a great breakdown, Mac is playing it super safe and mssing some definite throws down the field, at least with the Fins. I'm assuming he's in protect the ball at all costs mode.

On Mac, it's funny that fans will have totally different critical reactions. I agree with Ken's overall critique of the gameplan, but I thought Mac held the ball too long when he had open guys short. If he gets the ball to James White quicker a few times, White gains 10+ more yards than he did. I saw this happen with others as well. As the D has to start clamping down on short throws, the longer throws will open up. Mac needs to be more decisive in order to force the D to cover all of the field, which will simultaneously allow for longer throws downfield.

Do you ever have a positive take on anything?

Secondary is good but would be even better with Gilmore.
Damien Harris is a beast.
Onwenu is a top10 RT.
We have 2 good (under-utilized) TEs and Jacobi Meyers has the talent to be a 1000 yard receiver
BB is still the goat.

Anything else before you keep ignoring the bad OLine, red zone play calling, and run defense ??

On Mac, it's funny that fans will have totally different critical reactions. I agree with Ken's overall critique of the gameplan, but I thought Mac held the ball too long when he had open guys short. If he gets the ball to James White quicker a few times, White gains 10+ more yards than he did. I saw this happen with others as well. As the D has to start clamping down on short throws, the longer throws will open up. Mac needs to be more decisive in order to force the D to cover all of the field, which will simultaneously allow for longer throws downfield.

Agreed, and I think those kinds of reactions will come with more reps. Right now he's having to do a lot of processing pre-snap, then shift to reactionary processing post-snap, and he's a half step behind on some of it. As he sees things more often, and starts to feel more than think, those decisions will come quicker.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back