PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Idle thoughts- 'The trampling sound you hear is the mediots jumping back on the bandwagon' edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
As much as I didn't like the calls on Mason and Solder, I found the PI call on Gronk to be more egregious.

I don't think it's paranoia to suggest that the refs have been specifically told by the league to call Gronk super tight on OPI - the truth is the defenders have been grabbing him and holding on (at least that was called once this game) - how is he is supposed to free his arms for a catch?

Last night, I thought he just offered a straight arm to the chest of a chasing DB to make some space for a catch - very different to running at a DB and pushing him away from you to create separation.

Great game, great write up.

There is nothing paranoid about it because we already heard for a fact that this is the case. Teams get to submit tape every week to the league and we have heard about multiple teams complaining about 87. To be fair Gronk earned this reputation with his push off move during his first few years to the point where it became a point of emphasis.

In the end it is on Gronk and the TE coaches to fix this because by now we know that the refs will keep calling it like that. Like it or not..

As much as I didn't like the calls on Mason and Solder, I found the PI call on Gronk to be more egregious.

I don't think it's paranoia to suggest that the refs have been specifically told by the league to call Gronk super tight on OPI - the truth is the defenders have been grabbing him and holding on (at least that was called once this game) - how is he is supposed to free his arms for a catch?

Last night, I thought he just offered a straight arm to the chest of a chasing DB to make some space for a catch - very different to running at a DB and pushing him away from you to create separation.

Great game, great write up.
A great highlight reel play by Brady and Gronk lost forever.

I’m not saying you’re wrong, I’m just saying I have seen no evidence to support the above assertion.
When categorizing Gilmore's brief time in NE, what comes to mind first and foremost is.....
HANDS TO THE FACE
just saying

I found the PI call on Gronk to be more egregious.
[/QUOTE]
It's not egregious...it's a clear penalty

Regarding Quinn going for it on 4th down a point I thought of during the game but forgot to post was that there's been a lot made of the Pats 99 snaps during the SB. I think that definitely played into his aggression hoping to prolong drives and keep his defense from getting gassed. The problem is every game is different and you need to adapt. The Pats ended up only +8 plays in this game. I'm not sure what the differential was at the time of the second 4th down call but you could by then tell this was going to be more of a grind.

Madam Secretary's #1 fan wrote, "I wish Collingworth would come out and say what he thinks on some of the calls that are made where there are no infractions. He came so close on a couple of calls against the Pats, but stopped just short of calling a spade a spade."

I noticed that too. Surprising.
Who here agrees with me that it's likely Joker got to Collingsworth before the game for a bit of "attitude adjustment"?

Nice write up, but my question is who the hell is the Ghost of Ben Dreith and why did he give your post a dislike?

They have an OC who is 2 years removed from being fired for showing up at USC practice **** faced and lasted all of 1 game as OC of Alabama.

I think some of the Pats' success last night playing with two very inexperienced corner against top-caliber receivers can be attributed to that inexperienced OC. Why no bunched sets and complex crossing routes? Why so little movement before the snap (at least that was my impression)? Why didn't they go no-huddle and up-tempo earlier?

I kind of liked the goal-line camera views - really gives you a better sense of the view from the QB's position. Only thing that took getting used to was the optical compression because of their long lenses - gains that looked like three yards turned out to be more than ten.

I would imagine most people do the same. I know I do.

Yea, It's like you can't get excited for the play while it's happening, especially touchdowns. You have to wait until you see or don't see the flag, and then the emotional moment is lost.

Someone should explain to the league office that part of the enjoyment of their product is for fans to be able to be excited and engaged while the game is being played.

Yea, It's like you can't get excited for the play while it's happening, especially touchdowns. You have to wait until you see or don't see the flag, and then the emotional moment is lost.
no man, you have to live in the moment and ride the high when they score.

If there's a flag, you feel that moment of bewilderment if it's for or against (usually looking for Brady to see if he's waving his hand to signal if it's against the other team). Then you get to celebrate again.

If it goes against you, there's nothing better than a make-up touchdown :)

The way these games are being officiated someone might need to bring back the weekly Herr Goodell videos.

Someone should explain to the league office that part of the enjoyment of their product is for fans to be able to be excited and engaged while the game is being played.

You don't what you're talking about. The enjoyment comes from the number of points your fantasy teams gets when you review the stat sheet in the morning. That way, you can fully enjoy the game despite missing the second half and still wake-up feeling refreshed and inspired for another fantastic week of metaball.

How the f*ck did we lose to the Panthers. BTW- I hated watching Akeem Hicks have a very disruptive game (5 tackles, a sack, and a bunch of pressures). If the only issue was money, I think Bill regrets that one. So do I.
Hicks is having a great season. We could really used him. But it was never an issue of money. Hicks himself has said so. He wanted more PT than the Pats could give him. And to his credit, he made the most of it (and played himself into a big contract).

Hicks is having a great season. We could really used him. But it was never an issue of money. Hicks himself has said so. He wanted more PT than the Pats could give him. And to his credit, he made the most of it (and played himself into a big contract).

The thing that often gets lost/ignored is that Ryan Pace was also responsible for drafting him in NO.

Great play by Marsh. That proved the BB towel that the announcers were so proud of wrong as you saw Bill truly excited. That thing has been around for forever but leave it to the media to be so late to the party.

Gotta share this GIF of BB getting "pumped" after that play.

BB pumped.gif

Can't figure out what he says here. Either "Marsh made the play" or "That's the way".

Thanks for the write-up Ken.

You are being very generous to some posters on this board by implying it's only the "Mediots" who are rushing the bandwagon.

You don't what you're talking about. The enjoyment comes from the number of points your fantasy teams gets when you review the stat sheet in the morning. That way, you can fully enjoy the game despite missing the second half and still wake-up feeling refreshed and inspired for another fantastic week of metaball.

Haha. Not my fantasy team, which is horrible this year. At least I got the points for that Brady TD "Pass" to Cooks!

Oh, yes, much of the trampling sound you heard was the bandwagon of mediots running into the visitor's locker room to kick the dog that was down. There's nothing like the speed and grace with which a fat slob behind a microphone can disparage a team or athlete who fails to live up to expectations of fat slobs everywhere.

Madam Secretary's #1 fan wrote, "I wish Collingworth would come out and say what he thinks on some of the calls that are made where there are no infractions. He came so close on a couple of calls against the Pats, but stopped just short of calling a spade a spade."

I noticed that too. Surprising.
Who here agrees with me that it's likely Joker got to Collingsworth before the game for a bit of "attitude adjustment"?
I'd like to think that one day one of these guys will just say, "that call was B.S. and shouldn't have been thrown. In fact, I'd like them to say when a call is made far from the play, "that call was BS and should have been thrown", even if there was a technical foul. Maybe it adds to the burden of the ref, but when a team doesn't gain an advantage from the foul, keep your flag in your pocket. The game would be much better, and most fans wouldn't get bent out of shape even in replay, because the action was on the other side of the field.

BTW- One of the reasons that shows how smart Brady is was when he threw to Hogan only because Brady saw the brutal hold on him. He's done that a few times this season. Unfortunately in THIS case, the ref must have been busy scratching his balls. ;) But Collingsworth saw it, but his response was muted at best.

They have a long way to go but this season is reminding me of 2014. Adversity and poor play early, redeeming games and a tough road trip coming up. If I had to place$$$ on any team to hoist the Lombardi right now it would go on the Patriots. Much will have to go right but no one else has the experience in key places as well as the overall depth and talent to be the last ones standing.

I really like the way they are shaping up.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots