PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Idle thoughts - the TOTAL team loss edition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
What did Cyrus Jones do? I didn't see the game. Makes the game feel less real that I didn't see it, probably a good thing lol...
He came out of the EZ TWICE IN A ROW on the first 2 kickoffs from Buffalo and got to about the 10-11 yard line instead of just taking a knee and putting his team (with a very shaky QB) on the 25. After that he did take the knee. There was actually a big cheer from the crowd the 1st time he took the knee.

The first in a lot of WTF moments yesterday...

Seems a bit odd that Brady wouldn't be watching his teammates during a game, doesn't it? If the footage was really within an hour of the 3:42 pm time stamp, there's a good chance the game was still 13-0 early in the second half when he left.

He's just simulating what it's like to throw on a sunday afternoon. A lot of QBs do this during their bye week.

Seems a bit odd that Brady wouldn't be watching his teammates during a game, doesn't it? If the footage was really within an hour of the 3:42 pm time stamp, there's a good chance the game was still 13-0 early in the second half when he left.

Either way, I'm going to cautiously side with Ken here. I think it takes him a couple of weeks (not quite the month that Ken predicted) to get back into the rhythm of practicing and timing. I do think that's been one aspect that's been overlooked a bit. Luckily, the dude is still a full blown superstar even at 70-75 percent, so I'll still expect an awesome performance while he works through it.
Two thoughts:
One, I don't know whether he did or did not watch the game, but I have no problem if he did not. Better that he got some work in and didn't put himself through the torture of watching.

Two, I'm pretty sure that McDaniels and BB have been game-planning his return for a long time. I'm not worried about that.

Well yesterday was ugly for sure, but the one positive thing I took away from the game was that I expected we would look like we did yesterday all 4 weeks without Brady, and we only looked that way for one week. I haven't read through the whole thread, but here were things that stuck out to me yesterday, in no particular order:

Rex Ryan's spy assertions aside, it seemed that the Pats were hoping that Jimmy G could go yesterday, and/or Brissette was unable to practice a lot since the Houston game, because there did not seem to be much of a game plan yesterday. They tried the razzle dazzle reverses/wildcat, etc. and when those didn't work at all, there wasn't much else in their pockets, other than throw to Bennett if he's open and force it into Edelman (and that didn't work not because Edelman didn't get open, but because Brissette took too long to throw, allowing defenders to get there). I assume they did not sign another QB because they were hoping one or the other would be good to go, but also because they could not afford to give up a roster spot and the amount of time to bring another QB up to speed for only one game (particularly where we exceeded expectations and were already 3-0), with Brady and Nink returning today. Because of circumstances yesterday became the expendable game. They did they best that they could, but obviously, it was nowhere near good enough.

The D couldn't tackle either Tyrod Taylor or Shady McCoy (maddening!!) at all, WTF? And yet, they only gave up 16 pts., 3 in the 2nd half when they were surely tired as the O kept going 3 and out. If our O had been able to get anything going, we might have won the game (Rex Ryan's Super Bowl asperations aside). And what happened to our pass rush? Aye Caramba!

Ghost better get his head on straight.

Bennett had a good game yesterday. He was the only one. When Gronk is better and Brady is behind center, look out NFL.

I hope we kick Buffalo's big bragging butts next time around on their home field.

That's all I got right now. Back to work.

Hasn't he muffed a few returns this season too? I'm baffled that he's still out there returning anything. Sounds like he clearly isn't ready.
He was a special teams maven in college. Really a surprise he's having such a hard time adjusting to the pros. I think he made a few mistakes early in training camp, and is probably thinking too much now instead of trusting his instincts. Hopefully he can get over it.
Jones returned four punt returns for touchdowns for Alabama last year, he really is a good punt returner. However, he didn't have Edelman type of hands even in college (although he was a converted receiver), and I agree that he is probably thinking too much now.

Last year, I remember that he had a bad game returning punts late in the year (I think he may have muffed a punt) and I was thinking "why is this guy returning punts with so many other talented guys on the team?". Then in the National Semifinal Championship game against Michigan State I was reminded why:

Three false starts (at home) and an illegal shift. It's like they had their heads up their ***e$ all day.

Opening kickoff, he took it about 2 yards deep in the end zone. He ran it out to the 1, realized it was a mistake, and decided to try to down it. Then he realized he was out of the end zone and can't down it at that point. So then he started to run forward again. Got tackled at the 9. Just really poor awareness of his surroundings.

2nd kickoff he also took 2 yards deep. This time he didn't hesitate in deciding to take it out, but Buffalo's kick coverage team was already deep down the field. He got tackled at the 13. He shouldn't have taken this one out at all either, Buffalo was too far down the field.

Alexander was well blocked and Slater didn't cue him to kneel it. Alexander just made a great tackle. If he didn't, I think he would have been able to run it close to 25 yards maybe further. There was good blocking there. Slater should have told him to sit on it, but I can forgive the split second judgment error.

Jones returned four punt returns for touchdowns for Alabama last year, he really is a good punt returner. However, he didn't have Edelman type of hands even in college (although he was a converted receiver), and I agree that he is probably thinking too much now.

Last year, I remember that he had a bad game returning punts late in the year (I think he may have muffed a punt) and I was thinking "why is this guy returning punts with so many other talented guys on the team?". Then in the National Semifinal Championship game against Michigan State I was reminded why:

Probably should hold off for the rest of the season. Sounds like he'll be good once he's seasoned.

Probably should hold off for the rest of the season. Sounds like he'll be good once he's seasoned.

Yeah, maybe so, he certainly hasn't got in a groove so far this season, I'm actually more worried about the ball security issues than what he did against Buffalo (some hard coaching from BB should fix that, and after playing for Saban he is used to it). On the other hand, I cringe every time I see Edelman returning punts (or, more specifically every time I see him take a big hit returning punts), he is just so irreplaceable of a cog for the offense. It will be interesting to see if BB gives Jones additional punt returning chances this season, maybe all he needs is a big return to restore his confidence.

Ken's point 5.c. is worth reiterating. TB is going to be rusty, rusty, rusty. I just hope his matador sixth sense in the pocket keeps him out of harm's way while the rust comes off.

I think he will drop 50 on the Browns. I don't think we will notice any rust at all.

There it is fair to say it was a total team loss when you surrender 16 points and still lose to me it is more on the O than the D. The D clearly could have done better and given the O more chances by getting off the field faster or making a key turnover. The STs also* had a down game. I would say this. Add in Brady and this game is a win cause if everything else preforms the way it did then i think the D holding the Bills to 16 would have been more then enough.

Well looks like the suspension cost the Pats 1 game. At least to this point the Pats are 3-1 and still control their own destiny. Obviously Denver is a must win game and the Pats can't afford to slip up much as i think they need to likely win that game and go no worse than 10-2 the rest of the way to get the first seed.

The Pats also play the Steelers and Ravens and wins there will be needed to get distance on those teams. So in the end the suspension imo cost the Pats 1 game but it did not cost them control over the outcome of this season. If they take care of business they can get HFA throughout.

Last edited:
The STs almost had a down game.

"Almost"? Allen was the only guy out there worth a damn. Jones cost the Pats almost 30 yards in field position by running it out of the end zone for no reason and then muffing a kickoff later. Ghost missed a long but makeable FG. I give them a D- and that's only because of Allen's punting.

I think he will drop 50 on the Browns. I don't think we will notice any rust at all.
It's not so much his throwing mechanics; those'll be fine. Or the unfamiliar receivers he'll have - Bennett, Hogan; he'll go to his binkies Edelman and Gronk to work around that. But Brady himself attributed his '08 injury to lack of game action that PS. I just want him to get through his first game back unhurt. Anything beyond that is gravy.

"Almost"? Allen was the only guy out there worth a damn. Jones cost the Pats almost 30 yards in field position by running it out of the end zone for no reason and then muffing a kickoff later. Ghost missed a long but makeable FG. I give them a D- and that's only because of Allen's punting.

Meant to put *also*. Fixed it.

Just maybe, we're just not as good as Buffalo with a injured rookie 3rd string QB. I know folks think that we should be able to win with Edelman at QB. I disagree.

The defense was on the field fir over 75 plays and allowed 16 points. That should be enough to win.

Our offense led by an injured rookie 3rd stringer was simply not enough to win, or even be competitive.

1. The purpose of my OP was that this was a game where EVERYONE made mistakes that contributed to this loss. That this was a game where you could blame every phase of the game, offense, defense, ST's, coaching, not just one.

2. I also wanted to impress on people that the Bills were a factor in losing this game. They came in with a very nice offensive game plan and in the first half executed it well. But we are in an era where finding BLAME is much more fun than pointing out the good....in everything we see, so some of the comments here can be understood.

3. Shady McCoy might be the best RB in the NFL. Some of the plays were missed tackles, but some were just OUTSTANDING cuts by McCoy. I hope he enjoys the money they gave him. Too bad his talents are being displayed up in Buffalo where few will ever see them,

4. Taylor also played a good game. The kid isn't a bad QB. He just plays on a bad team with inconsistent coaching. Maybe Anthony Lind is just what he needed.

5. Our coaching staff needs to shoulder part of this blame. Sorry but having Brissett throw just 3 passes in the first half is NOT a good game plan. I know playing not to lose is a hallmark of BB's philosophy, but sometimes you have to play to win. And after being down 13-0 midway through the 2nd quarter, was the time for him to do that.

6. Aside from the huge mistake of the fumble that cost them 3 points, I felt JB actually improved his play from the week before. His decision making was still slow but that is just a function of being a rookie with minimal snaps. I know people want to compare him with Dak Prescott, but they forget that Prescott has gotten every first team snap there was to get since about the first preseason game. JB got the 3rd team snaps all preseason and the 2nd team snaps for most of the first 4 games, so of course his reactions to game speed is going to be slower. The poise and toughness we saw in his first game was still there. 2 years from now when he will get his next serious snaps should see a marked improvement in those areas.

7. Beware the Jimmy G trolls who will want to use this game to make the case we have to keep Jimmy.

8. I'm worried that teams who will be in the market for him this off season, will try and use his "dependableness" as a way to keep the price down. I feel bad for the kid. I think he is going to be a very good QB in this league for someone.

9. My point in my Brady comments have been misunderstood by some. I don't think Brady will suck for a while, or be unprepared to play. I believe he will give us the best QB we have seen so far, merely based on his understanding of the offense and his vast experience. HOWEVER we will not see Tom Brady at his best. That would be virtually impossible. Throwing "darts" to kids at Dexter School is NOT the same as game speed at an NFL game, and THAT is what Tom will be missing.

Brady has always been all about the preparation. He knows that he is a product of preparation and practice. He know he was never a "gifted athlete", so he had to use the things he DID have more than most players, his mind, his focus, and his capacity for hard work. Those are the things that allow him to get his body prepared to physically be able to perform at his best.

But we also have to remember that his is still the GOAT and his 85% is going to be pretty damned good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes