PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Idle Thoughts - the Poker Tourney edition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

patfanken

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
For three quarters of the game I watched the game waiting for my tournament to start. So I haven’t read anything on the board so if your pardon any redundancies I might make I will spare you the 2 bad beat stories that cost me my chance at the championship. (you have to be both good and LUCKY to win ;) )

Lets get the negativity out of the way first.

1. Do you want to know why the Pats have looked so bad on run defense the last 2 weeks, you have to look no further than the ILB’s Mostly Hightower and Spikes. The announcers made it look like it was the Pats NT/DT’s, but believe me, I thought they did a decent job moving down the line. What we weren’t getting was ANY fill from our ILB. Nothing - Zero - Ziltch.

Those of you with the benefit of replay will want to confirm this later this week. But I was watched specifically and both Spikes and Hightower were rarely there to fill gaps. Spikes in particular pissed me off because he just seemed to be guessing a gap and just running into it. If the RB was stupid enough to run that gap it was a stop, but most of the time it wasn’t and Spikes was no where to help

So while Spikes was just guessing wrong most of the time, Hightower found it very difficult to shed blocks. Something you would think would be an asset for a 270lb LB. But Texan G’s seemed to adhere to Dant’a like Velcro most of the time.

It was awful. I just was thinking that when was the last time we saw 2 TD’s runs against the Pats that were longer than 10 yds, when they ran in a 3rd of 8yds that could have been 38 :eek: All three untouched into the end zone. It was HORRIFYING.

2. I’m sure Chandler Jones didn’t have a bad game, just not the one I’d expect from a team’s best player on the defensive front. Not once did he ever just “beat” his man. Every time he did put pressure on Keenum it was a pure effort rush that created pressure due to good coverage as much as a good rush. In a depleted D, we are going to need a lot more from our “star” players

3. I’m just as disappointed that the coaches didn’t scheme some stunts and/or blitzes for the D. It wasn’t until the last 2 series of the game that they seemed to dial up any real aggressive D’s and not surprisingly, they worked rather well. Where were they the OTHER 55 minutes of the game, Matt?

4. After a masterful performance against the Broncos on pass defense, they made some grievous mental errors in the secondary. I haven’t seen guys that open down field this entire season. There were several break downs where someone messed up big time. Hard to blame people without knowing the assignment, but I AM sure that there are people who aren’t looking forward to Monday’s film breakdown. And to add insult to injury, the tackling was at its worst for several games as well.

5. Relative to him, Brady didn’t excel in the first half either. The pick he threw to Gronk should have been a completion. Gronk was well behind the defender and Brady just under threw it badly.

BTW- this is just a perfect example of the vagaries of being a DB in the NFL. If Brady throws a good pass, Texan fans and media are all over his case for being beaten so badly. The pass is just a bit under thrown and he’s a hero for making the pick. Not much of a margin between success and failure for an NFL DB

And there were other passes that Brady threw to the wrong shoulder or to the wrong man and the usual miss of a long pass to an open receiver ….again, A more accurate pass might have spared Thomkins an injury as well as gained more yds. Over all it would have been a career game for some QB’s but for our Tommy, he’s going to need to be better the next 3 weeks.

6. I stated in another thread, if Ridley being a healthy scratch is about LAST week, I’m against his benching. If its about some continuing problems during the week, then I certainly understand. Too bad we’ll never know.

That being said, this wasn’t a great run D, and you can see where we miss Steven. However, when he isn’t running the ball, I want to see Vareen and Blount with it, not Bolden. I like the way Vareen runs the ball and I’m REALLY liking the way Blount has been recently.

I understand that he can’t put the ball on the ground, but he’s the guy who makes our running game better than average. We are going to need him in the playoffs, so now is the time to build him back up so he’s on all cylinders come playoff time

Now the Positive stuff

1. I was one of those who didn’t see the purpose in giving up ANY draft picks for LaGarrett Blout. And believe me, nothing he did the first half of the season did anything to change my mind. He was STILL that guy who was 250lbs and ran soft, didn’t fall forward, and danced in holes looking for the big play.

Well stock up ANOTHER one up to BB and his staff, because the LaGarrett Blount I’ve seen the last 3 games is EXACTLY what we hoped he would be, which is a 250 lb wrecking ball bulling his way into holes and pushing the pile every time he gets the ball.

I have no idea what they said to him, or what they did, but that isn’t the same guy who was with the team the first 2 and half months of the season. Now that kid is an asset.

2. Julian Edelman is going to wind up with over 90 catches and 900 yds this regular season and finally put to rest those who maligned him for the last 3 years. You know who you are, and very few have come out to admit those mistakes. He is NOT a WR you build your offense around, but his can be a valuable PIECE. He’s very versatile and runs the tough routes. I hope the Pats can resign him, though I think it will take something in the order of $3MM/yr to do it.

3. The Gronk truly has the most impact of any offensive player not playing the QB position in the league. His TD was simply AWESOME. But what he does on a play by play basis both in the passing and run game is way above the passing impact that other great receiving TE’s , like Jimmy Graham bring to the table. Like the other’s Gronk now is there to attack all areas of the field. He has the body control of a diva WR, so he can split wide, and the blocking ability of a top FB/TE so he not only makes your running game go, but makes the play action pass game so much more effective.

God I hope his ankle is alright.

4. The OL did a very nice job against an excellent front 7, especially in the 2nd half. Dante does a great job figuring out how to quickly adjust to even the most successful of schemes other coaches come up with. Very rarely do they work more than once.

5. The virtual absence of penalty flags was such a breadth of fresh air, I could hardly believe it. The game is SO much better when there isn’t a penalty flag dropping every other play.

General Comments

1. We can’t keep giving up double digit leads and hope to keep winning these games. How’s that for stating the obvious. ;).

2. I thought Keenan did a really nice job. He obviously throws a very nice deep ball. I was surprised however when I saw the stats. Watching the game I was left with a clear impression that he had thrown for a lot better than a 50% completion rate. Maybe the 2ndary did better than I thought.

3. This game couldn’t have worked out better for the Texans. They have to feel pretty good about themselves. They played a hard game against a good team, that they could have won. They may have found themselves their next QB, and in the end they didn’t drop a single slot in their quest for a top 3 draft pick next April. Win-Win- Win

4. Just something to keep an eye on, but since his bye, Wes Welker has averaged only 5 catches, around 40 yds per game, and no TD’s. Is the “lillte engine that could” running out of gas, or just in a slump after a super hot start.

5. Andre Johnson could be my favorite non-Patriot in the league. The guy is just SOOOOOOO good. Imagine what his numbers could have been if he’d spent 5 or 6 years on a team with a really good QB. They’d have been Jerry Rice like.

6. The next 4 games are ALL going to be much harder, starting with Browns who have been competitive and it will be another “superbowl game” for them so we will get their best. Then our old friend the Ravens in Baltimore. Then a desperate Miami team at home, likely still looking for a playoff bid, and finishing up against a Bills team that keeps losing despite playing very competitively, and another team playing for their jobs in “their” superbowl game.

The offense is coming along fine, but the defense HAS to make improvements…..AND get healthier somehow if we are looking at a bye and a long run in the playoffs.

Comments?

I was one of those who didn’t see the purpose in giving up ANY draft picks for LaGarrett Blout. And believe me, nothing he did the first half of the season did anything to change my mind. He was STILL that guy who was 250lbs and ran soft, didn’t fall forward, and danced in holes looking for the big play.

Well stock up ANOTHER one up to BB and his staff, because the LaGarrett Blount I’ve seen the last 3 games is EXACTLY what we hoped he would be, which is a 250 lb wrecking ball bulling his way into holes and pushing the pile every time he gets the ball.

I have no idea what they said to him, or what they did, but that isn’t the same guy who was with the team the first 2 and half months of the season. Now that kid is an asset.

I was thinking the same thing recently - Jeff Demps and a 7th round pick for Bount has been a difference maker this season.

My guess is that they sold Blount on accepting a limited role - specifically a capable RB with fresh legs left in reserve for key plays rather than the role of a workhorse.

Blount knows that he's also likely to have a few more TD runs before the season is out - especially if he can be an RB who can protect the ball.

The thing about Brady's INT is that he wasn't set, he threw it all arm because he had the center backed right into his chest.

5. The virtual absence of penalty flags was such a breadth of fresh air, I could hardly believe it. The game is SO much better when there isn’t a penalty flag dropping every other play.

Comments?

Maybe you're not the only one who likes Texas Hold 'Em.

:yeeha:

As always, enjoyed your post. This game had to be a let down after last week's match-up. Hopefully, starting five rookies on defense also played into how bad the defense looked. I heard some announcers say how easy our remaining schedule looked. One game at a time, and each of them can give us problems.
I too have not been too impressed with Wes.

For three quarters of the game I watched the game waiting for my tournament to start. So I haven’t read anything on the board so if your pardon any redundancies I might make I will spare you the 2 bad beat stories that cost me my chance at the championship. (you have to be both good and LUCKY to win ;) )

Lets get the negativity out of the way first.

1. Do you want to know why the Pats have looked so bad on run defense the last 2 weeks, you have to look no further than the ILB’s Mostly Hightower and Spikes. The announcers made it look like it was the Pats NT/DT’s, but believe me, I thought they did a decent job moving down the line. What we weren’t getting was ANY fill from our ILB. Nothing - Zero - Ziltch.

Those of you with the benefit of replay will want to confirm this later this week. But I was watched specifically and both Spikes and Hightower were rarely there to fill gaps. Spikes in particular pissed me off because he just seemed to be guessing a gap and just running into it. If the RB was stupid enough to run that gap it was a stop, but most of the time it wasn’t and Spikes was no where to help

So while Spikes was just guessing wrong most of the time, Hightower found it very difficult to shed blocks. Something you would think would be an asset for a 270lb LB. But Texan G’s seemed to adhere to Dant’a like Velcro most of the time.

It was awful. I just was thinking that when was the last time we saw 2 TD’s runs against the Pats that were longer than 10 yds, when they ran in a 3rd of 8yds that could have been 38 :eek: All three untouched into the end zone. It was HORRIFYING.

I think the run defense is borderline awful to be honest. Yes this is obviously due to the injury situation, but it doesn't seem like Jones/Vellano can manage to beat their man/get off their blocks too often, which often leaves big gaping holes. We'll have to see what the film states, and it could be a bit of both the front line AND the invisible ILB's/interior run stoppers (that is what I believe), but Jones/Vellano aren't very good against the run by any means.

As far as Spikes goes and his problem "guessing" which gap to shoot, this is nothing new, and also one of the reasons why I believe Spikes is insanely overrated by the majority here. Yes of course he brings a physicality to our run defense, and we currently don't have anyone else like him at the moment in that regard, but his guessing and playing sloppily are traits that we've seen many, many times before. I'm not trying to say that he's awful, but I just have a hunch that we'll be moving on from him unless he comes very reasonably. Obviously he has his positive traits, but one has to wonder how an old school coach like Belichick feels about his mistakes too.

Hightower looks out of place to me, and is not only a liability vs the pass by a ton due to being a slug, but he's no great run stopper either. I think he's average at best. That could change if he is our MLB next year with the assumed departure of Spikes, and I'd hardly give up on him just yet, but he has been a disappointment in my opinion.

2. I’m sure Chandler Jones didn’t have a bad game, just not the one I’d expect from a team’s best player on the defensive front. Not once did he ever just “beat” his man. Every time he did put pressure on Keenum it was a pure effort rush that created pressure due to good coverage as much as a good rush. In a depleted D, we are going to need a lot more from our “star” players

It's good to see Chandler Jones doing what he does, but sometimes I wonder if we're seeing his ceiling right now? There's certainly inconsistency at times, which may just be due to him being a 2nd year player. Either way, he fills a much needed role, but I don't think he warrants comparisons to some of the best DE's in the league as some here seem to think. He may still have some untapped potential that comes out where he can continue to progress, but if I had to put money on it I'd say that he is what he is. That certainly isn't "bad" by any means at all, but he also doesn't belong in the conversation with the best defensive players in the league either; at least in my opinion.

I liked the pick a lot, and it certainly allowed us to fill a hole that had been there since Seymour, but either Jones is still learning and growing (which is a very real possibility that we won't know until the next season or so), or he just is what he is---and that is "good" to "very good," just not "great."

4. After a masterful performance against the Broncos on pass defense, they made some grievous mental errors in the secondary. I haven’t seen guys that open down field this entire season. There were several break downs where someone messed up big time. Hard to blame people without knowing the assignment, but I AM sure that there are people who aren’t looking forward to Monday’s film breakdown. And to add insult to injury, the tackling was at its worst for several games as well.

It may just be me, but I've felt that our tackling has been sub-par in many games. The wide open Texans receivers were disturbing to see, and obviously assignments were blown very badly aside from Arrington's poor coverage on DeAndre Hopkins for the 66 yd gain when he was just smoked at the very end. I think this is expected when you have 2 rookies in Ryan/Harmon playing in the secondary, with Arrington's limited talent coverage when playing the outside.

We all know that they aren't normally this bad, but they will certainly force our offense to have to score in the high 20's to win any games. The days of being able to win 13-10, or even lose 13-6 went down the toilet when Wilfork, Kelly, Mayo and (choose your secondary player depending on the week) went down after the first month. We're right back to needing to score in the high 20's at minimum, and if/when that doesn't happen we will likely lose.

5. Relative to him, Brady didn’t excel in the first half either. The pick he threw to Gronk should have been a completion. Gronk was well behind the defender and Brady just under threw it badly.

BTW- this is just a perfect example of the vagaries of being a DB in the NFL. If Brady throws a good pass, Texan fans and media are all over his case for being beaten so badly. The pass is just a bit under thrown and he’s a hero for making the pick. Not much of a margin between success and failure for an NFL DB

And there were other passes that Brady threw to the wrong shoulder or to the wrong man and the usual miss of a long pass to an open receiver ….again, A more accurate pass might have spared Thomkins an injury as well as gained more yds. Over all it would have been a career game for some QB’s but for our Tommy, he’s going to need to be better the next 3 weeks.

Personally, I hear what you're saying--but I can't expect Brady to do any better of a job with this offense myself. We scored on ALL 5 drives in the second half, the first three being TD's.

We basically have a very limited running game when Ridley doesn't play, and both Thompkins/Dobson are currently out. I'm not really expecting Tom Brady to be able to play any better than he has lately.

75% completion percentage vs CAR, 3 TD's and 350 yds vs DEN, and now another pretty damn good game vs the league's #1 overall ranked defense (and more importantly the #1 ranked pass defense) is "good enough" for me.

Sometimes he tends to lock in on Gronk. Other than that, I have absolutely no problem whatsoever with Tom Brady's play throughout the entire year--let alone these past 3 weeks.

6. I stated in another thread, if Ridley being a healthy scratch is about LAST week, I’m against his benching. If its about some continuing problems during the week, then I certainly understand. Too bad we’ll never know.

Judging by past results like when he lost a total of one fumble down the stretch run of the 2011 season and then was benched for the entire postseason, I'm guessing that it was obviously due to the fact that he's fumbled in 3 straight games.

We've heard/read all of the stories about him calling Kevin Faulk this week to ask for tips, and he was standing on the sidelines literally clutching to a football. I think it's safe to say that it's due to his recent fumbling streak of 3 straight games, but you may feel differently.

6. The next 4 games are ALL going to be much harder, starting with Browns who have been competitive and it will be another “superbowl game” for them so we will get their best. Then our old friend the Ravens in Baltimore. Then a desperate Miami team at home, likely still looking for a playoff bid, and finishing up against a Bills team that keeps losing despite playing very competitively, and another team playing for their jobs in “their” superbowl game.

Not meaning to nitpick, but you have the BAL and MIA games backwards. It's important due to the fact that we play back to back weeks at Miami, then at Baltimore again for a primetime matchup. I think both of those games could present challenges, and I have expected to lose one more game since before the bye occurred, thus finishing at 12-4. Actually, I expected to lose vs DEN too to finish at 11-5 total, but that didn't happen. Let's hope that we continue to play tough and finish at 13-3, but a loss won't be the end of the world as long as CIN doesn't make up their one game difference on us. Our last 4 games are as follows:

--vs CLE 12/8

--@ MIA 12/15

--@ BAL 12/22

--vs BUF 12/29

Good post, Ken. I really look forward, after each game, to your comments. I'll have some thoughts tomorrow night on this thread. Tonight I'm really under the weather and can't stay on long. I need to try and sleep some more to shake this stuff.

BUT....... I agree completely with your assessment of Blount. He's looking more & more like the Corey Dillon we hoped he'd be, or at least I hoped he'd be.

Thanks again. It's always a treat to read your stuff :rocker:

this wasn’t a great run D, and you can see where we miss Steven. However, when he isn’t running the ball, I want to see Vareen and Blount with it, not Bolden. I like the way Vareen runs the ball and I’m REALLY liking the way Blount has been recently.
Yeah, Bolden angers me on a high percentage of his carries. There were 2 in particular today where Ridley would have gotten 8-14 yards and Bolden got 1-3.

2. Julian Edelman ... I hope the Pats can resign him, though I think it will take something in the order of $3MM/yr to do it.
A million times this. Happily sign me up for 3 years at 10 million.

Yep, also makes you less nervous in the 2 seconds following each play. That was nice to not have that feeling today.
2. I thought Keenan did a really nice job. He obviously throws a very nice deep ball.
Yeah, his deep ball has been awesome all year. I think we did an alright job against him. It was Andre Johnson that we for some reason struggled with. I was thinking all week "Hopkins has been too quiet lately, hopefully that continues"...and sure enough he emerged again today with a nice game.

The LBers are exposed to more OL pressure because of the Wilfork and Kelly injuries. I haven't seen Patriot linebacker blocked by OLmen so often as now. I bet Spikes is trying to jump the run because A) He kinda always does that and B) He doesn't have time to wait it out. A blocker will come for him.

If the Patriots can get early leads, the run defense becomes much less a problem. They are going to have to start no-huddling or something to get the blood flowing early.

I can't agree or disagree on the Ridley inactivity because only the coaches know why they didn't dress him. Maybe he did something with ball handling in practice that showed he is still a liability with the ball. He's one of the better backs in the league, so I doubt he sits much longer.

Talib was a generic CB against Johnson. I don't know if it was zone messing him up or if he is half the man he used to be because of the hip. I only hope he can be dominate again.

Other than Arrington's usual outside blunder, the pass defense was pretty good.

Good post as usual, but not sure how this defense can get better... Talib looks impaired, Gregory is playing with one hand and not sure what the issue is with Arrington...

Coaching can only go so far, need some talent or some of these guys to play over their head....

Pass defense struggled. Huge part of it was them playing zone. They didn't want Keenum to beat them with his legs. Not to mention, this was a trap game. Back 2 back prime time games.

Run defense is a concern for me though.... I hope that gets fixed real soon.

I don't understand what has happened to the run D. Even after Wilfork, Kelly and Mayo went down, it wasn't bad and I could accept the occasional 10 yard run but they were at least holding down the fort.
In the Carolina game they played a much tighter 3 man front with Jones and Nink on the standing up on the outside and were quite successful.
Yesterday's game seemed to be about gap control but the gaps were huge inside.
This has to be priority 1.

Run D.
Starts with non-prime time talent at DT. It is what it is and the talent is not there. Good job by Pepper dealing with the hand cruel fate dealt the DL. That said, the DTs Velano & Jones do sometimes come up with decent inside rush pressure.
I'd commented elsewhere on the LBs. Agree that Spikes' run blitzing schemes were off more than usual today. I wonder as supafly said if he might not even be coached to guess and do this because otherwise the coaches KNOW that a guard will be in his face 2 seconds later. Hightower is a towering disappointment. Cannot shed a block to save his life and no instinct for where to be on the field. It was Collins who was stuck in the middle with you instead of even attempting to set the edge on memorable plays like when the RB walked into the EZ around end. Awful, awful, awful.

Further thoughts on Ken's excellent piece.
Yes, we're playing with nitroglycerine when we get so far behind AND keep letting the enemy sore that Brady absolutely, positively HAS to lead the team to a score every series in the 2nd half. Even the GOAT cannot do this game after game.
Anybody notice that we used Devlin alined up as a receiver a couple times?
We also cannot rely on Gost nailing clutch 50+ yarders to tie and win every game.
I do attribute the blown zone coverage to the kindergarten corps in the backfield. Otherwise we'd have to cut Patricia for defensive stupidity. It's film day today so were I a DB, I'd have my Mom call up BB today and say my son is out sick with a cold.

I didn't agree with Ridleys benching last year but I agree with it this year. There are other players on the team and if we are running a meritocracy, there is no choice but to give someone else the opportunity above him. Ball security is the number one thing for an RB on this team, let's get that right first and the we can start comparing who gets more yards.

For all the talk of Amendola vs Welker..........

Edelman 70 catches 101 targets, 711 yards, 4 TD, 302 YAC, 0 Fum, 35 first downs, 6 drops

Welker 68 catches 100 targets, 717 yards, 9 TD, 315 YAC, 0 Fum, 43 first downs, 7 drops

And lets not get into value as a punt returner. :D

Regarding Cleveland both Weeden and Campbell are both expected to miss the game with concussions. Alex Tanney who has no career snaps will start. You would think a positive but Bill usually does better against a player he can game plan for.

Regarding Baltimore they catch a bit of a break with Baltimore traveling to play the Lions on Monday night the week before the Pats game. The Pats will be playing the second of back to back road games having to go to Miami so we'll see how that works out.

Denver's schedule is pretty easy the rest of the way so I don't see the Pats getting the #1 seed. Hopefully the Bengals and Colts drop a game so the Pats can rest some players who are obviously hurting. Good news is the Bengals and Colts play each other this week. It's in Cincy and I think they win but I'll have to root for Indy given Cincy has the head to head victory against us in a tie breaker.

I didn't agree with Ridleys benching last year but I agree with it this year. There are other players on the team and if we are running a meritocracy, there is no choice but to give someone else the opportunity above him. Ball security is the number one thing for an RB on this team, let's get that right first and the we can start comparing who gets more yards.

Players need to know that actions have consequences, even if you're perceived to be the starter at your position. Notice how the RBs yesterday were hugging the ball? Message received.

I wish the best for Rids and hope he responds effectively to coaching. Do your job Ivan Fears.

"Do you want to know why the Pats have looked so bad on run defense the last 2 weeks..."

The loss of Mayo and Wilfork finally catching up to the Pats and teams having tape on the thin, slow D-line?

Speaking of negativity

Belicheat and Cheating Cheatriots Back At It ? Boston Sports Media Watch

A few notes/observations/reactions:
Happened to be in the car shortly after the game, and the very first words I heard were Gary Tanguay – Are you concerned about this team?
Then flipped to WEEI to hear Butch Stearns say about the same thing with the addition of how bad playcalling has been all year. It was comforting to hear Fred Smerlas and Steve DeOssie bury him immediately.
Ty Law on the CSNNE postgame says we don’t know anything about this team until they beat a real team. Denver doesn’t count, apparently. Neither does New Orleans.
What was with Felger jumping on Belichick’s description of the distance of a Gostkowski field goal attempt? Weird.
Speaking of Gostkowski, are we closer to completely burying the He can’t make a tough/clutch kick storyline?
Tom Brady was asked following the game whether winning was masking the team’s deficiencies. Does any other team get asked questions like that? Tom, we know you’re 9-3, but doesn’t your team actually suck?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back