PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Idle Thoughts - the opening edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

patfanken

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Disclaimer- For the first time in several years I didn't make it to a single training camp. I also didn't see the last pre season game because I was out of state. This is really the first time I'm getting to see the Pats first hand, so my observations might not be as accurate as I'd like. But that won't stop me from making them. :D .

On the other hand I have faithfully been following all the practice threads this summer, So thanks guys for that.

1. My biggest concern for this team at the start of TC was the OL. The group of Solder, Tuney, Andrews, Kline and Cannon gave JG all the protection he needed. Except for the PAP that got Jimmy sacked, they were superb. I'd be interested in looking at that play action pass again to see if someone got beat or if there was a mental error.

2. JG looked a LOT more comfortable behind the better protection and it really showed in his results. What I liked the most was that he wasn't locked into his first read. More times than not he was throwing to his 2nd and 3rd reads. When he did throw it was decisive and except for that first throw, accurate. IIRC except for that one play on the Bears' GL he made good decisions all night..

It does my heart good to think that the team that makes McDaniels their HC will be extorted for multiple picks to send Jimmy to join Josh. The opportunity that Goodell forced on the Pats will end up making them even better. How great it will be to see Roger give Brady a superbowl trophy in Feburary and then have the Pats get a top 10 pick in April. It will be the ultimate FU.

3. I don't want to hear anything more about Bishop F'n Stanky any more. The reality is that Blount is a better RB than he gets credit for, and he looks visibly quicker so far this preseason. Gafney looks lkke the real deal. Then you have Lewis coming off the PUP. Devlin as a real FB. White who is a proven receiver who has proven he can pick up the blitz Foster is an intreging guy who you can put on the PS. And then there is the ulitmate jack of all trades in Brandon Bolden. Than is a fairly good RB group. Given that the Pats are a pass first offense (when they have all their weapons) Why give up an asset to pick up someone else's RB that they don't want.

4. I saw what I was looking to see from Chris Long. He showed good burst, and consistently made the QB feel his presence. It was the first time I've seen him in action and he showed a great motor. He give us a very solid rotation at DE with Sheard and Ninko and hopefully Flowers

5. When the Bears had some succes early in the game, I noticed the Defense was being VERY vanilla. Also don't forget that for all the crap Cutler gets, he can be a very effective QB who can put up numbers. His success also pointed out the thing I worry about, and that is our midget corps of CB's vs guys like Alshon Jeffery. It's why I hope that there will be a tall CB left on the waver wire in September. We need that specialized skill set. It does us no good to have these quick QB's who can have great coverage and STILL give up completions to bigger WR's.

6. I loved the fact that Cyrus Jones read the route and wasn't afraid to act on that read. He's still raw, but its a great sign.

7. I really wanted to see Malcolm Brown flash more. I think he's going to be one the best DT's in the league.....Eventually. Not to say he did anything wrong. He just didn't "flash". The interior DLman who DID flash was Anthony Johnson, who made any number of impact plays during this game.

8. Trey Flowers? What are people's view of him as of now. No much of an impact, yet nothing bad was my impression.

9. The only blitz the Pats ran was by the 3rd stringers and it was picked up.

10. Punt coverage was MUCH better. I'm sure that made BB happy. On the other hand, when they tried to hit KO's short they didn't get much of an edge.

11. I'm sure we are all feeling a lot better about the first 4 games after this effort. At this point of his career JG is no Tom Brady, but he does show promise that he can lead an offense and for the most part take care of the ball. That SHOULD be good enough to get us to at least 2-2 before Tom comes back. And if he does JUST that should guarantee something extra special under the April draft tree.

12. I would hate to think of a time where J. Brissett has to play this year, but his first extended snaps show he has "good bones" He mad a couple of really good deep sideline throws, and moved the ball intermittently. For a 3rd string rookie trying to master the most complex offense in the league, he didn't suck. And THAT is a significant compliment.

That being said, like Jimmy we really don't ever want to see this kid take anything but mop up snaps for the next 2 seasons. He won't be ready.

Next week's game will be even a better test. Caroline has one of the best front 7's in the league, and it will be on the road. Putting up similar results for Jimmy will prove he is progressing nicely.

OK - This is likely to be my shortest edition because it IS just a pre season game, but you have to start somewhere. ;)

Last edited:
Disagree about Gaffney hes ok but hes not the kind of impact back that wins game I still wouldnt be shocked to see a trade.
Gaffney needs so show more elusiveness speed to his game til he does he is a upgrade over Develin running the ball short and thats it.
I think With Derby almost guaranteed a spot Harbor is in a fight with Develin.

1. My biggest concern for this team at the start of TC was the OL. The group of Solder, Tuney, Andrews, Kline and Cannon gave JG all the protection he needed. Except for the PAP that got Jimmy sacked, they were superb. I'd be interested in looking at that play action pass again to see if someone got beat or if there was a mental error.

here's the sack. fleming reported in as a tight end and got beat inside by acho:

you can see other clips in the link in my sig. let me know if there's any other play you want to see.

7. I really wanted to see Malcolm Brown flash more. I think he's going to be one the best DT's in the league.....Eventually. Not to say he did anything wrong. He just didn't "flash". The interior DLman who DID flash was Anthony Johnson, who made any number of impact plays during this game.
brown had a nice tackle on rodgers in the 2nd quarter:

2nd Quarter, 10:39 Bears, 2nd and 6 @ CHI 9:

besides that sack on cutler, here's a nice TFL by johnson in the 2nd quarter:

2nd Quarter, 2:55 Bears, 1st and 10 @ CHI 25

also a tipped pass in the 1st quarter:

1st Quarter, 9:09 Bears, 3rd and 9 @ NE 18

Last edited:
and I believe there was a play in the 1st quarter where he beat his guy and had a free run a Cutler and he threw it away quickly

good memory. the play got nullified by defensive holding. here it is:

1st Quarter, 6:27 Bears, 3rd and 7 @ CHI 39

Yeah not sure either how he didn't see Flowers making an impact.
??

and I believe there was a play in the 1st quarter where he beat his guy and had a free run a Cutler and he threw it away quickly[/QUOTe

I could care less about the final score in preseason games to be honest, my main concern is having a healthy team.

While I obviously agree that we all want a healthy team going into the regular season @slash83 I feel like this season is an exception to your theory. If we had Brady for games 1-4 then sure, but we don't have that guy for those games and feel Jimmy and company should use this preseason well and practice to win. I care about this preseason, because it reflects how far Jimmy has come.

While I obviously agree that we all want a healthy team going into the regular season @slash83 I feel like this season is an exception to your theory. If we had Brady for games 1-4 then sure, but we don't have that guy for those games and feel Jimmy and company should use this preseason well and practice to win. I care about this preseason, because it reflects how far Jimmy has come.

Yeah I see your point and agree to an extent. Long as he plays well and shows development from game to game I don't care if they come out victorious in preseason. Get Jimmy his reps and enter week 1 as healthy as possible, that's most important imo, not the preseason record.

###&&&&&###Dish Network does not provide a pre game feed to customers in RI, I will switch after the end of my contract..

Without regard Pats Fan Ken you provide invaluable insight from a fans eyes.. good job as always, your posts are always required reading..

What I took away from this game is Jimmy G's confidence and poise in the pocket. I didn't see him ever panic or get a case of "happy feet". That gives ME a lot of confidnce in how the team is gelling and there's another 3 weeks & change before the 1st game that counts.

What I took away from this game is Jimmy G's confidence and poise in the pocket. I didn't see him ever panic or get a case of "happy feet". That gives ME a lot of confidnce in how the team is gelling and there's another 3 weeks & change before the 1st game that counts.

I agree, hopefully it carries on into next weeks game against a much tougher defense. But yeah he looked quite posed and in command vs Chicago.

Possibly butterflies caused JAG to short arm his 1st throw to Dobson, but most every play thereafter he seemed calm in the pocket even stepping up once to avoid the rush Brady style.

here's the sack. fleming reported in as a tight end and got beat inside by acho:

you can see other clips in the link in my sig. let me know if there's any other play you want to see.
Thanks, glad to see it wasn't one of the starting OL

Jimmy G will serve the Pats fairly well the first four games, after last night that's pretty clear. He may not star, but he won't be a disaster either.

It's hard to judge the RB's without actually seeing Lewis on the field, his presence will certainly skew the group's competence if he's fully recovered. But counting on Blount to be a dynamic back for a whole season is risky - injuries, and his some time distraction or whatever you want to call it don't make him a sure thing by any means. White is pretty good, but somewhat overrated to me since he's got nearly zero push so he's largely one dimensional. Gaffney is decent, that's it. The Pats could definitely use some more RB juice.

OL played much much better last night. Scar effect? Bears stink? We'll see against the Panthers who have a very good front 7.

Daryl Roberts has one trait you can't teach a CB - great closing speed, it finally showed up again last night after flashing last year. Plus, he's not a shrimp. Don't be surprised if he makes club and presses Coleman for playing time.

'Name' players very much on the bubble-
Clay Harbor - unremarkable career, unremarkable camp, no surprise. Meanwhile Derby threatens to become a star. Hope Harbor doesn't his guaranteed $ makes him a lock for the team.

Terrance Knighton
- Pork Chop was out there late in 4th quarter, yow. He better wake up or he'll be another guaranteed $ man looking for a new team in 2 weeks.

Alan Branch - Kept his weird head together last year, BB just sent him a telegram he ought to get his act together ASAP by suspending him or last year means zip. Anthony Johnson's improved play makes cutting Branch easier though they don't exactly play the same spot. And speaking of Jonhson - wouldn't it be so Belichikian to find an even better, sharp, fast penetrating DT out of nowhere after dumping his former No.1 pick Easley on the league. Yah So!

Jordan Richards? - He's been off and on the first two games. Obviously, BB has high hopes for the dude but high draft position doesn't always mean you make the team, just ask Easley. BB asks a lot of his safeties, and while I thought Richards was improving late last year he's been lost and slow on several occasions this year.

Thanks for all the feedback on Flowers. Clearly I missed a lot as I was concentrating on looking at long. He did have a better game than I first thought. From the clips I did notice something has that I always wanted to see from Chandler, which was a hard bull rush. Flowers clearly has a good one, at least against this OT. He also looked like he is going to be a guy who gets a lot of tipped balls.

Now if HIS progress continues, that will give us as solid a 4 man group as there is in a league that rewards good depth.

Also a point I wanted to state but forgot. We should remember that perhaps the most important advantage this team has had over the last century is the importance of their game plans on offense and defense. Clearly in this game there was little of either.

Another though that just occurred to me was the lack of any visible impact from Terrance Knighton. Did he play? I never heard his name called, and I didn't try to track him specifically. That's another guy I expect great things from this season.

Jimmy G will serve the Pats fairly well the first four games, after last night that's pretty clear. He may not star, but he won't be a disaster either.

It's hard to judge the RB's without actually seeing Lewis on the field, his presence will certainly skew the group's competence if he's fully recovered. But counting on Blount to be a dynamic back for a whole season is risky - injuries, and his some time distraction or whatever you want to call it don't make him a sure thing by any means. White is pretty good, but somewhat overrated to me since he's got nearly zero push so he's largely one dimensional. Gaffney is decent, that's it. The Pats could definitely use some more RB juice.

OL played much much better last night. Scar effect? Bears stink? We'll see against the Panthers who have a very good front 7.

Daryl Roberts has one trait you can't teach a CB - great closing speed, it finally showed up again last night after flashing last year. Plus, he's not a shrimp. Don't be surprised if he makes club and presses Coleman for playing time.

'Name' players very much on the bubble-
Clay Harbor - unremarkable career, unremarkable camp, no surprise. Meanwhile Derby threatens to become a star. Hope Harbor doesn't his guaranteed $ makes him a lock for the team.

Terrance Knighton
- Pork Chop was out there late in 4th quarter, yow. He better wake up or he'll be another guaranteed $ man looking for a new team in 2 weeks.

Alan Branch - Kept his weird head together last year, BB just sent him a telegram he ought to get his act together ASAP by suspending him or last year means zip. Anthony Johnson's improved play makes cutting Branch easier though they don't exactly play the same spot. And speaking of Jonhson - wouldn't it be so Belichikian to find an even better, sharp, fast penetrating DT out of nowhere after dumping his former No.1 pick Easley on the league. Yah So!

Jordan Richards? - He's been off and on the first two games. Obviously, BB has high hopes for the dude but high draft position doesn't always mean you make the team, just ask Easley. BB asks a lot of his safeties, and while I thought Richards was improving late last year he's been lost and slow on several occasions this year.

Vincent Valentine may also be a player who could make Branch or Knighton expendable as well.

I think Richards looked pretty good in run support, and suspect in coverage, which I think is what most people expected from him when he was drafted. He's almost like what we assumed Chung would be when he came back from Philly, while Chung himself has developed quite well into a starting SS.

Richards does show well on ST though, so I don't really consider him on the bubble really. He's our 4th safety and a good coverage guy on kickoffs. That's all he needs to be right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back