PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Idle thoughts - The non-hearsay edit

If all this fails you can go with the pooch punt :)......most of the time tonight I wish Tebow would have just pooch putted!

QUOTE=doesntmatter1;3518666]I didn't want to post about tebow, but it was so bad that I couldn't resist. Two quarters and negative passing yards. OMG!!!!

Tebow really does inspire people though. I never dreamed of being a nfl qb but after last night I think I have decent shot. Here's my plan

1. Go to Rutgers
2. ???????
3. Profit.[/QUOTE]

Bolden shined IMO...which got me to think.....Bolden or Blount, Blount or Bolden?
Do the Pats have a trading chip before cuts take place? Any RB desperate teams out there that have to be at the front of the line...late rounder??

Special teams is getting embarrassing. KO coverage....brutal. Punt return blocking...brutal. And I now hold my breath on chip shot FGs and EPs. Long range FGs....I expect a miss and hope I will be pleasantly surprised.

How good is Vereen looking. Break out season is coming. AHern's production replacement?

No screen passes yet (I think) in preseason. Devious!!

Why does Bob Kraft sit much taller in his chair than anyone in his box? Phone books?

Danny A is the real deal....but I would like him to get on the Ron Burgandy training regimen and work on sculpting the guns a little more. I worry

This time I watched the entire game…..even Tebow time.. Here are my takes on what we saw.

10. Special teams is going to have to repair some things and Julian Edelman looked anything but elite on punt returns tonight. He stil make a lot of people miss, but that doesn’t do you any good if you aren’t moving forward.
I’m disappointed I didn’t get a chance to see Leon Washington on a KR..

Once again Ken you didn't watch the game. Leon ran a kickoff back to the 27.

Great observations.
I also ask what's your source on AA's likely on field appearance.

a. My first impression was that we are going to see a MUCH more aggressive and creative D this season. Its been driving me nuts for the last 3 years to keep seeing vanilla fronts with the same alignments over and over again. It didn’t matter if it were a 3 man front or a 4 man front, you could almost count on seeing the DL line up the same places all the time.

We saw NONE of that last night from the first group. On many occasions we saw 9 men on the LOS, and while only 4 or 5 actually rushed, it often looked like more

I think the Pats have gone vanilla on defense over the past few years out of necessity. They didn't trust their secondary and didn't have a strong pass rush. This year is different. Here is how:

• You have a lot of young players who are finally starting to feel comfortable in their roles.
  • Talib can be put on an island with a primary WR. No he cannot do it anywhere near as well or consistently as Revis, but he certainly can do it on certain plays.
  • Tommy Kelly provides that inside pressure that the Pats have been looking for years now. This is what Fanene was supposed to be. Inside pressure is more dangerous than outside pressure.
  • Chandler Jones is ready to explode. The Eagles doubled and triple teamed him last week. He went one on one this week a lot and dominated his blocker. Whether he get a lot of sacks or not, he is going to pressure the QB a lot.
  • We haven't even seen the secondary with McCourty and Dennard in it. The starting secondary last night created one, arguably two coverage sacks. And that was without Dennard and McCourty.

I know this is making a lot of assumptions based on a few preseason games, but the defense looks to be ready to be the unpredictable defense that we used to see during the Super Bowl years. Not saying they will be as good though.

Some very good observation on this post.

Just a few thoughts on last nights game.

1. We go with 2 QB's. Mallet is fine, needs playing time/confidence.

2. How many DB's do we have and keep. Can we get it sorted out.
T. Wilson is a problem in coverage and Harmon takes terrible angles. I don't know if either are good enough to help. I still think Dowling is the wild card. If he ever hits the field, can he play safety in addition to CB.

CB = Talib / Dennard / Arrington / Ryan / Dowling
S = A. Wilson / Mccourty / ???? Would like to see a late cut big hitter brought in.

3. D-Line looks OK - Linebackers are huge and excel in pass rush. Linebacker coverage is weak. Collins was mostly in coverage last night and made lots of clean-up tackles. Would like to see him more.

4. All RB's looked good. Would love to keep Blount & Bodden. Leon Washington ????

5. Dobson does not seem to get separation and looks to be a back-up for now.

6. Pats middle D-Line turned to mush with reserves in game. It seems like we have all D Ends playing Tackle as back-ups. I thought Vellano looked decent although small.

7. Still would like to see Clay Harbor from Eagles as one of out TE's.

8. Keep an eye on late Bengal / 49er cuts - Their rosters are loaded, except for O-Line.

PFK, I can certainly agree with many/most of your points
2. Does anyone still question that as good as Wes Welker has been, Danny Amendola is going to fill that role without missing beat…..IF he stays healthy. Let me put it this way.
I'll include all the points, but why waste the space (above).

I think the coaches got the right read on Amendola and he certainly looked to be capable of doing the job. there was one bad miscue between Brady/Amendoila, but that's to be expected. He's further along than where I thought he would be and he needs to improve his situational awareness. One of those early receptions was close to a first down and he got tackled before he could make it. If that was a 3rd down pass, it would have been a punt.

He must love Brady throwing it to him. Brady (per poitn 1 in your original post) is awesome and he hit Amedola in stride on 2 great plays. One was on 3rd and 11, the other was the TD.
3. I liked what I saw from Ryan Mallet tonight. I saw him look off receivers. I saw him go to second options. I saw him throw it away when nothing was there. As far as decision making was concerned, I thought it was his best night as a pro. Even when his passes were off, they were to the right guy. It was an fairly significant improvement over his first game. Still a ways to go, but very few QB’s look good when you are being compared to the “exemplar”
Definitely in agreement on the decision making part. One thing I don't like about his throws is that half the time his receivers are in a stopped position. He'll need to be able to lead the receiver and hit him in stride for "our" offense to run smoothly.
4. Speaking of the OL, the first group stuffed a pretty good TB front 7 to night.
Still, it's against a vanilla D. Because we play them in week 3, I'm fairly certain teams aren't showing their hand at this time. Which works both ways and it's a very good run defense, so we can be competitive in the run game against most if not all defenses (that's my ope).

Also, I don't think any runner is going to unseat Ridley. He looked great going through the holes and even had some good vision and bounced for extra yards on many occasions. No worries about "happy feet" with him.
7. Dobson, Boyce, and Thompkins looked like the rookies they are tonight and took a small step back from the frantic pace of the first 3 weeks of camp. But Zack Sudfeld certainly DIDN’T. The kid looked Jimmy Graham good. With Fells out Sudfeld took full advantage of his opportunity. Both is scoring plays were TOUGH contested catches. This kid might end up contributing more than any of the rookie WR’s early this season.
I think i get what you mean about Jimmy Graham good. Not that he is on the same level as Graham, but seems to have a similar style and is much better than anyone could have imagined at this point. He appears to be a good player at this point and we'll have to see what happens going forward. But, very excited about his potential pass catching ability.

And Thompkins blocking has looked great so far.

10. Special teams is going to have to repair some things and Julian Edelman looked anything but elite on punt returns tonight. He stil make a lot of people miss, but that doesn’t do you any good if you aren’t moving forward.

I read a stat this week ( looking for the link) that said JE had the highest average ypr of any active punt returner (even higher than D. Hester who was 12.1). He has 72 returns for 947 yds 13.2 ypr and 3 TDs. Even if you exclude the 3 TDs, his verge is over 10.3 ypr... 3TD in 72 returns, 1/24 or 4% for TDs...small sample but still elite in my book...

Danny A is the real deal....but I would like him to get on the Ron Burgandy training regimen and work on sculpting the guns a little more. I worry

Wes has the guns but you gotta like Amendola's longer reach. That first pass from Brady was a bit on the high and wide side and Amendola had no problem reaching for it.

A few things really stood out to me:

Spikes was physically dominant out there.

Hightower played a lot faster and made the type of plays he did when he was in Alabama.

Brady, as good as ever.

Amendola looks a lot taller than Welker. Not as quick, but catch radius looks to be a lot bigger.

Our backup DTs are awful.

Harmon took so many bad angles on both pass support and run support.

Do we really need Leon? I'd rather keep both Blount and Bolden.

Ninkovich is so underrated.

Do we really need Leon? I'd rather keep both Blount and Bolden.

Do the New England Patriots need one of the best kick returners in league history when you can keep a RB who showed NOTHING after a PED suspension and Blount (who should make the roster)?

Washington should make the roster over Bolden every single time, he offers far more to the team.

This is just me but I thought Tavon was awful last night. The backup QBs were clearly picking on him. He couldn't line up properly later in the game. I won't be surprised of he's cut.

This is just me but I thought Tavon was awful last night. The backup QBs were clearly picking on him. He couldn't line up properly later in the game. I won't be surprised of he's cut.

It wasn't just you. The kid is simply horrendous in coverage.

We all have high hopes for Zack Sudfeld. No one is going to dispute that.

Saying that he "looked Jimmy Graham good" is pretty silly though, especially since there are some outside of N.England who feel that Graham is slightly better than even Gronkowski.

Either way, Zack Sudfeld looks great for an overachieving UDFA, and it appears as though he can cover some of the move/joker role that AH's absence caused us.

He is still very small and kind of thin for a TE. It has been openly discussed both here and in the media that he definitely needs to improve on his blocking, which will hopefully come with time and weight training. In the meantime we're all very excited--but he doesn't look anywhere close to Rob Gronkowski or Jimmy Graham as the top 2 TE's in the NFL either. That's a pretty big stretch.

Perhaps the comparisons to Graham are hyperbolic to some degree. The point is that physically that are alike in being both skinny (for a TE) and very tall. Sudfeld is already proving to be legitimate red zone threat. Like most rookies, I'm sure a full off season would add a few pound and a lot more strength. From what I've heard he is a willing blocker with good technique and leverage, but little power. So he's not Gronk. He's not as quick or agile as AH, but he could fill the role as a move TE, but just differently than Hernandez. As in different routes and combinations. He's not going to get the separation Hernandez got, but he has a much bigger catch radius, and thus far seems to be very good at making highly contested catches

Bottom line is that out of no where the Pat have a talent that looks like he ready to contribute 40+ catches this season, if things keep progressing.

Where are you getting this information? The last I heard we had no idea when Armstead would play or practice, and many here have him pegged for a PUP spot. Why do you assume that he'll "finally hit the field this week?"

IIRC, last Thurday there was a report that several guys where at that practice dressed but not participating in team drills. Among them were Dowling and Armstead. From that I made the leap that they are getting their feet wet at the end of the week and would be ready to go full bore starting Monday, and I'm hoping that both will be ready to play in week 3.

I read a stat this week ( looking for the link) that said JE had the highest average ypr of any active punt returner (even higher than D. Hester who was 12.1). He has 72 returns for 947 yds 13.2 ypr and 3 TDs. Even if you exclude the 3 TDs, his verge is over 10.3 ypr... 3TD in 72 returns, 1/24 or 4% for TDs...small sample but still elite in my book...
Julian Edlelman has been one of the better PR's the last few years and last year he was elite. This wasn't a slam on JE, It was just last night he wasn't

Do the New England Patriots need one of the best kick returners in league history when you can keep a RB who showed NOTHING after a PED suspension and Blount (who should make the roster)?

Washington should make the roster over Bolden every single time, he offers far more to the team.

I don't think the bolded is gonna sway Belichick either way in his assessment in training camp performances and who's he gonna cut or not. Personally from what I've seen in two preseason games, Bolden and Blount have performed better than Leon.

Bolden, playing with backup OLs have shown good burst and has hit the hole decisively.

This is just my opinion though. I guess we'll find out.

just a couple of more comments that occurred to me since I wrote the original post.

1. I really like what I saw of Mike Glennon. He had a lot of nice completions including several under pressure. I recall that during the draft, a few Jet fans were very high on him and thought he'd be a great 3rd round choice. The y weren't treated nicely after their posts. I hope that they are taking some solace that it looks like they were right.

2. I also liked what I saw from their rookie RB from Florida, Jones or James, I think. Between, Martn, Hillis, and this kid, the Bucs look like they are lining up to have a very nice running attack come week 3.

3. Did Vincent Jackson even play. Now there is a guy who has TORCHED the Pats every time they played. It sounded like he continued this dominance during practices this week, yet in the game he was invisible. Were the Bucs hiding him or were the Pats first D doing a better job covering him

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back