PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Content Post Idle thoughts - the "a win is a win" edition.

This has an opening post with good commentary and information, which we definitely recommend reading.
We just aren't a good team right now. Mac played okay yesterday but there could have been about 2 or 3 picks down the stretch that sealed this one for Houston. We are just lucky they're worse than us.

Gurley has degenerative knee problems. There’s a reason why teams like the Ravens said no thanks. Pass.

But the Pats are not looking for a lead back like the Ravens were. They just need a guy for 10-15 plays a game. That MIGHT change the thinking on Gurley.

. General defensive thoughts - FLAT would seem to be the go to description of the defense today They didn't play awfully, but always seemed a foot too short and just not making "plays" to get off the field. Allowing the Texans to make so many 3rd AND 4th downs was so frustrating to see. I'm sure that this fact will drilled hard this week
I think the defense was suffering from a Brady Bowl hangover. After expending all the emotional and physical energy to defend brady and that offense It would be hard to take the texans as seriously as the defense had to take tampa bay.

Last edited:
1. Agreed about Uche. He flashed a few times, enough that many already coined him star player, yesterday he was invisible vs below avg OL/tackle.
My disappointment is not so much about his situational edge play where he will have his moments and hopefully even sustained impact; I really hoped he could step into Collins' shoes as 3-down swiss knife LB this year esp. with little depth there - now they brought Collins back.
He is still a young player and should grow more - but the fact that promising offseason as potential 3-down player is nowhere to be seen - on an uninspiring LB group at that - is not the best sign.

2. This is year 1 of rebuild. Last year was not even transition - more of a disbandment, saving resources & riding with what was left.
I think the complete pass Rush Group is a bit under the expectations. We had only two pressures i believe Outside of judon. Neither wino uche ht kvn or our DT show much consistency so far.

Collins only played three plays with one sack and one tackle. Not bad. Maybe they should play him more.

I think he will play more. Coming in mid week, even for a guy who knows the system, was going to be tough to ask him to play a ton. This wasn't a Richard Sherman situation where they just needed a body out there either, as our linebackers are all healthy right now (even if some aren't playing like it).

One nitpick though, I'm pretty sure NFL stats counts sacks as also a tackle on the sheet, so really he played 3 plays had that one. It was a nice one though, and the kind of play I'd like to see Uche start to get once in a while. I think he could learn something about stunts and blitz timing from Collins.

First time in a looooong time the Pats have gotten over 100 yards receiving from their TEs. I like it.

Also, I think Uche's been nursing a back issue. Those are never fun.

First time in a looooong time the Pats have gotten over 100 yards receiving from their TEs. I like it.

Also, I think Uche's been nursing a back issue. Those are never fun.

"Fun" stat of the week: Patriots TE's had 254 yards receiving total ALL of 2020. They have 331 this year so far through 5 games. So as much as we wanted to see more from the high priced free agents at times, they're on pace to quadruple last year's production (even if you only played 16 games this year), and that's based on the first month+ with a new group of guys and a rookie QB. The difference so far is night and day, and if they stay healthy should only get better as the year goes on.

We just aren't a good team right now. Mac played okay yesterday but there could have been about 2 or 3 picks down the stretch that sealed this one for Houston. We are just lucky they're worse than us.
Thank you! That's why I don't get the win-is-a-win logic. People view it as being pessimistic or "entitled", but it's out of concern. How you play shows you what you will become.

Thank you! That's why I don't get the win-is-a-win logic. People view it as being pessimistic or "entitled", but it's out of concern. How you play shows you what you will become.
When we were in the Brady years we would put up usually around one or two duds a season where we played down to the opponent and we would usually still win but it would be an ugly win. In that scenario I can go for the "win is a win" logic because in the end of the day we knew they were a good team who just had an off day. This team on the other hand is not a good team and while we did win yesterday that performance would likely result in a loss against about 28ish other teams. I kind of feel like this is how the Jets game would have been had Wilson not thrown 4 interceptions.

Exactly which word in "Win drops Pats draft order from #7 to #9 using tie breakers" denotes my "sadness" or "rooting"?
Doesnt need a word - just posting a draft tracker after five games tells the tale.

Another sign that playoffs might be a pipe dream in 2021…I think the Pats drew the short straw on the schedule. That “third place schedule” looks a lot harder than it did a few months ago that’s for sure. I think it’s the hardest in the division.

Cowboys, Browns, Chargers. All really good teams.
It's crazy, the 3 teams you mentioned are in the top 7 scoring/yards per game. We have a rookie and we're getting tested this year with high-powered offenses - doesn't even consider we had to play Tampa, or the two games against Buffalo.

This Is an actual gauntlet.

I think he will play more. Coming in mid week, even for a guy who knows the system, was going to be tough to ask him to play a ton. This wasn't a Richard Sherman situation where they just needed a body out there either, as our linebackers are all healthy right now (even if some aren't playing like it).

One nitpick though, I'm pretty sure NFL stats counts sacks as also a tackle on the sheet, so really he played 3 plays had that one. It was a nice one though, and the kind of play I'd like to see Uche start to get once in a while. I think he could learn something about stunts and blitz timing from Collins.

Yeah, I should have caught that on the tackles thing.

But unlike Sherman, Collins is in football shape and knows the Patriots' defense. He could have played more if they wanted to play him. But then again, he wasn't here until later in the week and, if they install the defensive game plan on Wednesdays, he missed that. So I fully expect him to play a lot more against the Cowboys. They will need his "speed" vs. Prescott.

Or it's just whiny.

Doesnt need a word - just posting a draft tracker after five games tells the tale.
I'll try to tip toe around your fragility.

Any other stats trigger you?
Standings?
QB INTs?

Glad we’re staying alive. It’s been a pretty brutal start and honestly with this schedule 2-3 is about worst case scenario for any half decent team. We’ve faced 2 bottom of the barrels, 2 average teams, 1 great team.

That said, a lot of positives and hopefuls we can still pull away early on and the team has the potential to get better. The talent is there. Mac is for real thus far and most of our signings have at the least shown flashes and ability to do more as they settle in. The secondary has played a lot better without Gilmore than I envisioned.

This year is bb”s first treal test post Brady because this is the type of team that can weather a poor start and gradually improve / peak at the right time. Not saying they could compete for a title this year but hopefully challenge for a playoff spot with an outside chance at a run.

When we were in the Brady years we would put up usually around one or two duds a season where we played down to the opponent and we would usually still win but it would be an ugly win. In that scenario I can go for the "win is a win" logic because in the end of the day we knew they were a good team who just had an off day. This team on the other hand is not a good team and while we did win yesterday that performance would likely result in a loss against about 28ish other teams. I kind of feel like this is how the Jets game would have been had Wilson not thrown 4 interceptions.
That's why I've been saying that I wouldn't be surprised if the Jets come up here and upset us. (I know it sounds pessimistic, but this isn't some doom and gloom post, I'm just being realistic.)

Our offense is still very mediocre, averaging 18.6 PPG (2 TDs and a field goal, basically). Wilson threw 4 horrendous picks, and yet that game was still only 13-3 at the start of the 4th quarter. Wilson has been less trash since then, so if he just doesn't screw up as badly, I can see him having a good second half or 4th quarter like he did the last 2 weeks. Our defense is solid in that you won't drop 30 on them, but they have still been vulnerable all season long, and you need to score against them or draw up a good drive, they don't have much resistance. Hopefully Mills will be back. Back to the offense, they don't let Mac sling it downfield, and honestly, it might be because they don't trust him. In that Houston game, he looked spotty when he threw it downfield. Passes were not powerful enough, and could have been picked off.

Anyway, my point is that if we lose to the Jets, I wouldn't be surprised, based on what I've been seeing. But for some reason, others will be shocked and distraught.

Or you can stand behind what you throw out there. No tiptoeing required.
Noted
Updated draft order brings you to a dark place, no tiptoeing around it
Acceptance is the first step in recovery
Excited Season 4 GIF by Friends

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing