PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Idle thoughts - the "a win is a win" edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most of the players on the O and D-lines are holdovers from last year. It's not a talent issue. IMO, I think it's an injury or conditioning issue (or both, maybe).

I would posit a potential third possibility: hangover. Whether Super Bowl, new big contract, familial, or other factors there are a lot of external pressures on this team this year.

From Nink actually pulling the plug to Branch doing the same except sticking around to Solder looking for all the world like he wants to be anywhere else but the football field there is evidence that football isn't the priority for some very key positional players. Not saying this IS the truth, just that it's another potential possibility.

It seems to be the new normal for pro sports (especially basketball in the NBA): the "I don't give a crap" regular season. The difference - there are only 16 short games in the NFL.

I would posit a potential third possibility: hangover. Whether Super Bowl, new big contract, familial, or other factors there are a lot of external pressures on this team this year.

From Nink actually pulling the plug to Branch doing the same except sticking around to Solder looking for all the world like he wants to be anywhere else but the football field there is evidence that football isn't the priority for some very key positional players. Not saying this IS the truth, just that it's another potential possibility.

It seems to be the new normal for pro sports (especially basketball in the NBA): the "I don't give a crap" regular season. The difference - there are only 16 short games in the NFL.

After winning two superbowl in the last three season, I think there's more than just a kernel of truth to this. It's not hard to imagine a sort of "what else are we playing for?" attitude with some of the players- which is why we should be so fortunate that Brady has remained as competitive and fierce as ever, and hasn't become complacent like Roethlisberger has. Ben is playing with very little motivation this season and has said as much after his 5 INT game. I see him retiring after this season.

BUT- I think that once we get into the home stretch and closer to playoff, I think we'll see the players turn it on, and the whole team turn it up a notch. This is still a championship quality team. It's about how you finish the season that matters, anyway.

to Solder looking for all the world like he wants to be anywhere else but the football field
In addition to Solder's son battling cancer, isn't Solder himself a cancer survivor? Hope nothing bad is up with either of them.

I wholeheartedly (what a great word) agree with the removal of political posts, especially since there's an outlet provided for those who want to talk on the subject. That's the reason I ignored the minor reference in the first place.
Where exactly is this outlet? When I go to the forums page, there is no political forum I can see.

BTW- It was a 3-word throwaway line at the end of a very long post, which I finished at 3 am, and it garnered almost as much commentary as the football comments I spent almost 2 hours writing about. Pretty disheartening. Kinda makes me wonder why the f*ck I'm doing it in the first place.

Where exactly is this outlet? When I go to the forums page, there is no political forum I can see.

BTW- It was a 3-word throwaway line at the end of a very long post, which I finished at 3 am, and it garnered almost as much commentary as the football comments I spent almost 2 hours writing about. Pretty disheartening. Kinda makes me wonder why the f*ck I'm doing it in the first place.

Please don't be too discouraged. I am mostly a lurker, but a constant one who looks for your posts after every game. I have been following them since usenet days and appreciate all the perspective you add.

In addition to Solder's son battling cancer, isn't Solder himself a cancer survivor? Hope nothing bad is up with either of them.
He is, although I believe that he had testicular cancer, which has a pretty high rate of recovery, at least from what I understand. Anything is possible but it would seem a bit odd that he'd still be having issues this far down the road.

There were some rumors that he was working with the training staff prior to one of the games this season, so let's hope it's just something like that.

Come on Ken. Don't wonder or get flustered - just type. :D

I don't need to tell you this: whether you added a word or paragraph inadvertently or on purpose, it was present and once out there on the web, you can't control the emotions and reactions of other people.

As many, including BB, say - it is what it is. :)

When disheartening thoughts come up and you wonder why you are doing this - please think of the enlightenment of dumb fans like me who benefit from reading your wonderful post-game analysis. Thank you for taking so much time and effort to spread the knowledge and your wise thoughts/opinions on the game and our beloved team, coaches and the players. :)

On your query about outlet - there used to be a 'political forum' in the main forum page among many sub-forums. But I believe that the entire page has been cleaned up and now there is a 'practice squad' forum in which all other things under the sun (subject to the forum rules and regulations) can be posted.

PFF's grading when it comes to punters is horrible. It doesn't take into consideration field position at all. When you're punting from mid-field, you're not going to have a lot of 50 yard punts..

But if you are punting from mid-field you would expect to force some fair catches - Allen I think has only one to date. Indicates not enough hang-time for the distance or a disconnect between the coverage team and where the kick was located.

But if you are punting from mid-field you would expect to force some fair catches - Allen I think has only one to date. Indicates not enough hang-time for the distance or a disconnect between the coverage team and where the kick was located.
I did the legwork upthread. He's had five punts from the Pats 45 or further, resulting in one touchback and 4 times downed within the 20. That's close to perfect.

After so many season ending injuries to impact players I'm just glad we played down there a tough game, on the road, on a short week and got the win and no injures. That field is bad by the way, from my TV screen it looks like one of the worst in the NFL, maybe their kickers missing so many FG there is some correlation with that.

I did the legwork upthread. He's had five punts from the Pats 45 or further, resulting in one touchback and 4 times downed within the 20. That's close to perfect.

No, that's not close to perfect at all. The touchback, if I recall correctly, was kicked straight into the endzone - in the one article I found on coffin kicks (punts from your own 41 yard line and on), only 5% of punts were kicked straight into the endzone. The league average from that article for these kicks was just inside the 12-yard line.

I'm just going from memory here, but I recall most of Allen's punts from this distance being modestly returned and ending up close to the 20 yard line. If that's right, this wasn't an "A" performance at all.

Punters in Perspective: Coffin Punting | News and Analysis for NFL and Fantasy Football | Pro Football Focus

No, that's not close to perfect at all. The touchback, if I recall correctly, was kicked straight into the endzone - in the one article I found on coffin kicks (punts from your own 41 yard line and on), only 5% of punts were kicked straight into the endzone. The league average from that article for these kicks was just inside the 12-yard line.

I'm just going from memory here, but I recall most of Allen's punts from this distance being modestly returned and ending up close to the 20 yard line. If that's right, this wasn't an "A" performance at all.

Punters in Perspective: Coffin Punting | News and Analysis for NFL and Fantasy Football | Pro Football Focus

First off, it wasn't a "straight line punt" Into the end zone. That implies that it beat out the coverage and it didn't. If you'd watched the game that it happened, you'd know that the gunners were down there and it was just too far into the end zone for them to try and bat it out.

Secondly, you don't have to rely on your recall. You can look it up.
Allen punted 6 times against Houston. 1 time was downed. 1 Touch back. 1 went OOB. the other 3 were returned for an Avg of 6.3 yards.. OMG that's so bad.. NOT..

Ryan Allen

On the season, Allen has had 22 Punts to this point. 13 have been returned for 100 yards. That's an average of 7.69 YPR. If you think that is somehow bad, then you've never done any sort of homework on punters and have no true basis for a conclusion of any sort.

Like everyone else with a heartbeat, I always enjoy every bit of your posts. I only commented to Ross to try and help whoever it was that replied.

Back to football, the reason we're here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down