PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Idle Thoughts - Observations

2. What I don't understand is the seeming vitriol that is coming from what one would think would be a smarter fan base as represented here on this site. Bill's leadership and vision has given we fans 20 years of, not just good results, but EXCELLENT results. No not just excellent results but UNPRECEDENTED results in the face of a system that essentially rewards failure and penalizes success. Are we THAT spoiled that we can forget the last 20 years after just one 7-9 season.

The fact is that this roster's talent erosion is directly due to BB's bad drafting over the past 5-10 years. BB blamed the bad offense on Tom last season when the fact is he had ZERO talent to throw to. The TEs had the worst production in the NFL partly because BB pushed Gronk out while drafting no suitable replacements. The WR group was weak because he passed on resigning Amendola, Edelman was older and double teamed all season, and N'Keal Harry was the worst 1st round WR draft choice in the team's history.

On TOP of that BB decided to push the GOAT out the door. All he needed to do was say, Hey Tom, I want you back, I believe in you, I'm gonna get you some help. Instead he was the stone cold bastard we all know him to be and he was like, Tom I can only give you a year to year deal. You don't have it anymore. I don't believe you can get it done, I mean just look at what you did this past season. Never mind that you've won 6 Superbowl championships for us, I'd rather move on if you insist on a long term IE 2 year deal.

This season's failures was the CULMINATION of BB's poor decisions as a GM over the past 5+ years. He deserves all the BLAME because he Buys the GROCERIES. He was the one who chose to move on from Brady. And Kraft, the gutless wonder, of course backed his coach instead of his QB.

In retrospect, I'm so glad that BB chickened out and gave up on Brady. Brady got out of BB's shadow and PROVED to the world that he's not a "system QB", he is the SYSTEM of winning! Brady had to go to a new team, new conference, new offensive system, and it didn't matter. The GOAT rose above it all and ELEVATED the Bucs, a team that hadn't made the playoffs in 13 years, into a Superbowl Champion. Tom Brady has made a CAREER out of proving people wrong. And the last one on the list was his own Head Coach for the past 20 years who believed Brady couldn't get it DONE anymore. Obviously BB was wrong, and Brady is just on a whole other level of special that we couldn't fully appreciate until he had left New England.

The fact is that this roster's talent erosion is directly due to BB's bad drafting over the past 5-10 years. BB blamed the bad offense on Tom last season when the fact is he had ZERO talent to throw to. The TEs had the worst production in the NFL partly because BB pushed Gronk out while drafting no suitable replacements. The WR group was weak because he passed on resigning Amendola, Edelman was older and double teamed all season, and N'Keal Harry was the worst 1st round WR draft choice in the team's history.

On TOP of that BB decided to push the GOAT out the door. All he needed to do was say, Hey Tom, I want you back, I believe in you, I'm gonna get you some help. Instead he was the stone cold bastard we all know him to be and he was like, Tom I can only give you a year to year deal. You don't have it anymore. I don't believe you can get it done, I mean just look at what you did this past season. Never mind that you've won 6 Superbowl championships for us, I'd rather move on if you insist on a long term IE 2 year deal.

This season's failures was the CULMINATION of BB's poor decisions as a GM over the past 5+ years. He deserves all the BLAME because he Buys the GROCERIES. He was the one who chose to move on from Brady. And Kraft, the gutless wonder, of course backed his coach instead of his QB.

In retrospect, I'm so glad that BB chickened out and gave up on Brady. Brady got out of BB's shadow and PROVED to the world that he's not a "system QB", he is the SYSTEM of winning! Brady had to go to a new team, new conference, new offensive system, and it didn't matter. The GOAT rose above it all and ELEVATED the Bucs, a team that hadn't made the playoffs in 13 years, into a Superbowl Champion. Tom Brady has made a CAREER out of proving people wrong. And the last one on the list was his own Head Coach for the past 20 years who believed Brady couldn't get it DONE anymore. Obviously BB was wrong, and Brady is just on a whole other level of special that we couldn't fully appreciate until he had left New England.

Are you crying?

Are you crying?
I already declared my Internet Hero for the week, but you'd have been my choice otherwise :rofl: May BB burn in Hell for all eternity for the terrible damage he did to this franchise over the past two decades! Who knows how things might have turned out - 8 SBs, 10, 15? How cursed this franchise is <shakes fist heavenward in impotent rage>:rofl:

yiSLux.gif

Last edited:

You guys are QAnon levels of deranged. Not surprising it all needed to be quarantined into a separate subforum.

I've asked numerous times now and nobody has answered the question. I'll try one more time:

Do you guys really believe that Bill Belichick thought that Jarrod Stidham or Brian Hoyer (who were the only two QBs on the roster at the time they let Brady walk) were better *from a football perspective* than Tom Brady for 2020?
No, not by a long shot. That's why I believe that Bill was caught off guard when Brady left.

Much of this has been "ginned up" by the sportstalk mediots whose goal is to create controversy... and Zolak walks out of the room choosing to be silent.

Glad to see PFK brought up the elbow issues in 2019, I have been banging the drum on that pretty much all year in response to those who lament the loss of Brady.. the Brady we saw in the last 1/2 of the "19- '20 season was not the Brady that we were used to.

This is a silly inane argument that will never end... #12 wanted to move on and there were many signs.. he & Guerrero both had their houses up for sale and he was non-committal about staying.
If Brady wanted to move on then why did we end up without a QB? Didn't Bill see those signs?

Tom Brady: Why did you bench Malcom Butler?

Bill Belichick: Son, we live in a world that has rules, and these rules have to be guarded by men with pencils. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Mr. Kraft? I have a greater responsibility than you could possibly fathom. You weep for Malcom Butler, and you curse the coaches. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know. That Butlers benching, while tragic, probably saved the team. And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves this team. You don't want the truth because deep down in places you don't talk about in the locker room, you want me on that sideline, you need me on that sideline. We use words like blitz, zone, and man. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending the end zone. You use them as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who takes the snaps under the blanket of the rules that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide them. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way, otherwise, I suggest you pick up a football, and run the red zone plays. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you are entitled to.

Tom Brady: Did you order the benching of Malcom Butler!

Bill Belichick: YOU’RE GODDAMN RIGHT I DID!!!

Tom Brady: Mr. Kraft, I move that we employ article 5.3 of my contract and that I will become Free Agent.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back