PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Idle thoughts.....is it just me.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

patfanken

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
.....or is anyone else lacking the usual anticipation for this game. Certainly there ARE things that I'm hoping to see in this game, But unlike in every other week this season, I am having a lot of trouble visualizing a way that KC can win this game.

Then again I had a hard time visualizing the Broncos beating the Jets. But at least there were some mitigating factors in the Jet loss. They had to play a road game in a tough venue in less than 5 days after suffering a bitter loss at home to the Pats. On the other hand the Pats have no such issues. They are at home, after a long week, hosting a team that was suffering offensively BEFORE they lost their starting QB.

No folks, this is going to be one of those games where the adrenaline will remain under control and the anxiety meter will stay in the green. That being said, here are the things I hope to see in the way of progression at games end

1. Ocho continuing his progression being integrated into the offense (3+ catches)
2. The secondary continuing their solid play
3. 10+ QB hits/sacks by the DL
4. More from the running game
5. And above all, an injury free game. (the only pre-game anxiety I feel)

And since I was bored this weekend here are some other miscellaneous thoughts that occurred to me.

1. The media's total ball washing of the Packers thus far has been totally obnoxious. They have played very few tough opponents and their defense looks as suspect as ours. In fact the 30th ranked Defense in the league has allowed only 18 fewer yards per game than our beleaguered group, And in the most important stat, they are actually ranked lower than us in scoring D.

Rodgers is truly having an historic year at QB. While he hasn't proven to me he's better than Brady over the long haul, this PARTICULAR season has been spectacular. It could end up being the best single season ever by a QB. Still, I we make it to the superbowl, and the team progresses and more importantly is relatively healthy, I like our chances against the favored Packers.

BTW- if the media was THIS bad ball washing us in 2007, I can better understand the animosity toward the Pats by the rest of the league's fan base. The media's front running is positively irritating.

2. While I expect to see a win, all the surprising losses we see each week should point out to us how really HARD it is to win in this league. EVERY team has a lot of very good players, and even the JAGs at the end of the roster are extraordinary athletes. I know this goes against how I started this thread, but c'mon Tyler Palko, on the road..... give me a break. ;)

3. Did anyone else watch the bits of the Bills/Dolphins game and think....."Damned, Fitzpatrick didn't miss any of those open receivers in OUR game". Its been like, ever since he signed his new contract his mojo left him. BTW the Dolphins look like the team we thought they might be the last 3 games. They are going to finish this season with 6 or more wins.

4.Since I didn't spend much of this week agonizing over the Chief's game, I started thinking more about next off season and how this team continues to improve. Here are some of those ideas

OFFENSE

1. I'll start off with a controversial one. One that's based on the supposition that by the time the season ends, Ocho with be fully integrated into the offense and is playing like the guy we hoped we'd get at the start. IF that's the case, then I'd resign him and let Branch walk. I know Branch is on of Brady's favorites, but Ocho COULD be a bigger stronger version of Branch going forward. A guy better suited to play against the tight physical coverages we are seeing more these days. Branch tends to disappear under these circumstances. He's much better suited to go against zone D's. He also is more likely to remain healthy.

2. Don't Draft an offensive lineman with one of the first 5 picks. Dan Connolly's play has been eye opening. He is more than just holding his own. With the very capable Dan Koppen coming back, the need to draft the C of the future can be put off another year. Of course if the Pats decide not to resign Koppen, then of course adding a C in the draft would make a lot of sense, but I don't want to see it happen in the first 2 rounds

3. Given it likely that either Ocho or Branch isn't going to be with the team next season, it would be a good idea to add a "field stretching" WR either in the draft or FA. I know that every is calling for this, but I am of the belief that its a luxury addition, NOT a necessity. How can it be a necessity when the offense has been so productive the last 2 years without one.

That being said, it the right guy is available in the 2nd or third round, it would be worth a shot, plus I'm sure there are a number of guys who will be available in FA at a good price. The guy who comes immediately to mind is Braylon Edwards. He has the size and speed that would fit the bill, and with his injury prone season this year, he wouldn't command a huge price. Just a thought, I'm sure there are others.

4. Even with Faulk likely to retire, I think the 4 guys we have plus some camp bodies for competition should give us enough of a rushing attack to complement the offense

5. Lets find the next Lee Smith/Will Yeatman late in the draft or FA. Hopefully one of those guys will get released some time in the off season.

6. Sign Welker. He's shown this season that he is much more than just a "nice slot receiver" He deserves the big contract. But that being said, he's small and over 30, and a guy who has taken a wicked beating over the last 4 years. When guys of his stature start to slip, they go downhill FAST. What I think is fair would be a 3 year deal at $8MM/year with 2 guaranteed. I wouldn't hate a 4 year deal if the real money was all in the first 2 years. I think that's less than the market for guys with his production, but even he has to realize that being in NE has helped him and he'd be better off here long term.

DEFENSE.

DL - Carter and Anderson have been revelations but we still need to develop a younger outside pass rushing threat. I haven't given up on Cunningham yet, but getting another DE/OLB type with one of those first 5 picks would be my hope

On the draft pages the "gurus" have been hyping a couple of nice sounding interior DL prospects, but I think that the young combination of Brace, Deadrick, Pryor and Love make adding a top prospect at DT/3-4 DE a luxury Plus there a ton of Gerard Warren types available in FA if necessary. So NO to investing heavily in an interior DLman

LB- I am really pissed that Dane Fletcher has been unable to get on the field thus far. I have great hopes for him. But that being said, I like what we have at LB. I think people will start to realize the Value Rob Ninkovitch has. Mayo and Spikes are very good at what they do, though Mayo has been affected by the change to the 4-3 this year. Cunningham's future remains to be seen, an Tarpanian is a interesting guy to watch going forward. Bottom Line - Stay away from adding ILBs - Take a shot at an OLB/DE pass rushing prospect early.

If anything I think the "coverage ILB" is an emerging position in this new age of the passing attack. Its the reason Tarpanian was kept around to see if he can develop into this guy. Its become clear that Gary Guyton hasn't. So it will be interesting this off season to see who might fit this need in the draft and FA. I think they are a rare commodity and their value is growing.

DB's - Keep 'em coming. I'd like to see at least 2 impact safeties added. I hope the Pats will add one of the top 3 FAs at the position, while adding the best rookie S available with one of their first 4 picks. Those guys along with Chung and the best of Iheadabu/Barrett would give a very solid group. I also hope we add another big CB with one of the first 4 picks. Having a group of 3 guys over 6 foot in Dowling, Mouldin, and the Rookie to go along with McCourty and 2 others will give us the size, depth and flexibility to take on the better passing attacks we will face.

SUMMARY

In no particular order with our first 4 picks in the draft (I'm assuming one will be traded forward) I'd like to see us pick up a safety, CB, OLB/DE and field stretching WR or C depending on what we do with Koppen.

In FA - I want to see an "impact" safety and anything else BB wants on the defensive side of the ball. I think Carter and Anderson can continue to be impact players in 2012, but beyond that is questionable.

Well hopefully this will provide some entertainment while we wait for the overhype of this game to begin.

Last edited:
If KC was playing as well as they were last season and weren't completely depleted of their stars I'd be a bit more pumped for this game.

As it stands currently though, I agree, I don't see any way they can win. All we can really be worried about is that the players don't share those feelings and come ready to play tonight. Bill is usually good about talking every opponent up and we don't have a team that usually plays down to the competition, so I think we'll be set.

Lets just avoid injuries and hopefully build some more confidence on what we put together last week against the Jets.

.....or is anyone else lacking the usual anticipation for this game. ...

Not just you; Reiss wrote about this today. Hopefully, as Reiss says, it's just us fans, not the players:

Part of Bill Belichick's greatness is keeping players on an even keel and treating each opponent with respect. The players seem to buy in and generally do a fine job avoiding the roller-coaster of emotions that inevitably come with every season.

But that's harder to do for those making the weekly emotional investment in following the team, and my sense is that this week is a good example of that, with some dialing things back.

Guess it could be expected — fanwise — after the whole Jets game hype followed by what happened in Denver Thursday. Still, we're counting on those at Gillette tonight to keep the energy level up.

This is why i hate our remaining schedule...all of them are opponents we are supposed to handle easily...i just feel like the team might get a false sense of confidence...that once somebody punches them in their teeth in the playoffs they won't know how to respond.

On the other hand...we could very well end up with the #1 seed with a bit of luck.

As for KC tonight...i expect a win and the team to play good solid football...no stupid mistakes,good passrush,good running of the ball and no ******* injuries.

.....or is anyone else lacking the usual anticipation for this game. Certainly there ARE things that I'm hoping to see in this game, But unlike in every other week this season, I am having a lot of trouble visualizing a way that KC can win this game.
I had a Hard time Visualizing the Jest beating the Pats last January, I still haven't recovered from that loss.

To be honest, I DO have a bit of anxiety about this game. KC has some good players still,and I guess it's that whole "On any given Sunday" bit that has me a mite worried.

If the Patriots come out and play flat, then KC has a real chance, especially if Brady is a bit off and their defense rises to the challenge. I would imagine that their D is pumped to show that they can still run with anyone even with their starting QB down, and that could spell trouble.

Anyone else see Philly beat the Giants last night? I did. KC may not be up to Philly's par, but the Eagles came in with a back-up QB (yeah, he's experienced, etc etc etc) but Young hadn't played for awhile and they still gave the Giants a good run for their money, and pulled out a win.

I just can't take any game for granted anymore, especially after the loss to the Browns we suffered. That should have been a wake up to anyone who wasn't paying attention to the NFL.

I'm also concerned about the Dolphins. They know they aren't going to be in the post-season, and that makes them dangerous. They've tasted winning, and that can be VERY dangerous when a team hasn't got anything left to lose.

V/R

Yes, the Pats end the season with 7 consecutive trap games. ;)

I think part of it is playing on Monday night which isn't what it used to be. I hate ESPN's coverage, Jaws is OK but Chucky and Tirico suck. I hate being tired all day Tuesday.

Unfortunately for me, I am going to miss the game because I will be at work. The only thing that has kept me from just calling out sick (YEAH OK I'M IRRESPONSIBLE) is that the game is somewhat lacking excitement and isn't as meaningful as other games have been or will be this season.

Last edited:
For me anticipation is a bit down because I'm drained from watching the Pats-Jets late night game which I re-watched and watching the Jets-Donks game. Lots of emotional big standing affecting games over a short period. It must be soul draining for Jets fans, assuming that they have souls.

I want to see continued front 7 pressure and continued good communication on the D. A couple years ago BB had to put Sanders back at safety because communication was broken. Perhaps this crew actually groks coverages and assignments. Makes up for lack of so-called talent. We'll see.

I'd like to see this be a game where unless we face 8 in the box all night (unlikely) we run and run.

This defense can make Palko look like the second coming.KC has some skilled players.OL needs to dominate and keep Brady clean.Bowe can make plays for them.

If anything I think the "coverage ILB" is an emerging position in this new age of the passing attack. Its the reason Tarpanian was kept around to see if he can develop into this guy. Its become clear that Gary Guyton hasn't. So it will be interesting this off season to see who might fit this need in the draft and FA. I think they are a rare commodity and their value is growing.

Kinda makes you wish we could take a trip in DeLorean and draft Sean Lee.

I am looking to see if this offense can get more out of Ochostinko.I am not buying it that he is learning to pick up this offense.One of his catches last week was on a busted play.This team will really need to get some wrs in the off-season.Branch is ok but he cant stretch the field.This team has no vertical threat.

1. The media's total ball washing of the Packers thus far has been totally obnoxious. They have played very few tough opponents and their defense looks as suspect as ours. In fact the 30th ranked Defense in the league has allowed only 18 fewer yards per game than our beleaguered group, And in the most important stat, they are actually ranked lower than us in scoring D.

Rodgers is truly having an historic year at QB. While he hasn't proven to me he's better than Brady over the long haul, this PARTICULAR season has been spectacular. It could end up being the best single season ever by a QB. Still, I we make it to the superbowl, and the team progresses and more importantly is relatively healthy, I like our chances against the favored Packers.

BTW- if the media was THIS bad ball washing us in 2007, I can better understand the animosity toward the Pats by the rest of the league's fan base. The media's front running is positively irritating.

2. While I expect to see a win, all the surprising losses we see each week should point out to us how really HARD it is to win in this league. EVERY team has a lot of very good players, and even the JAGs at the end of the roster are extraordinary athletes. I know this goes against how I started this thread, but c'mon Tyler Palko, on the road..... give me a break. ;)

I think the Packers won't make the Superbowl.

There, I said it.

Then again I had a hard time visualizing the Broncos beating the Jets. But at least there were some mitigating factors in the Jet loss. They had to play a road game in a tough venue in less than 5 days after suffering a bitter loss at home to the Pats. On the other hand the Pats have no such issues. They are at home, after a long week, hosting a team that was suffering offensively BEFORE they lost their starting QB.

No folks, this is going to be one of those games where the adrenaline will remain under control and the anxiety meter will stay in the green. That being said, here are the things I hope to see in the way of progression at games end

1. Ocho continuing his progression being integrated into the offense (3+ catches)
2. The secondary continuing their solid play
3. 10+ QB hits/sacks by the DL
4. More from the running game
5. And above all, an injury free game. (the only pre-game anxiety I feel)

And since I was bored this weekend here are some other miscellaneous thoughts that occurred to me.

3. Did anyone else watch the bits of the Bills/Dolphins game and think....."Damned, Fitzpatrick didn't miss any of those open receivers in OUR game". Its been like, ever since he signed his new contract his mojo left him. BTW the Dolphins look like the team we thought they might be the last 3 games. They are going to finish this season with 6 or more wins.

4.Since I didn't spend much of this week agonizing over the Chief's game, I started thinking more about next off season and how this team continues to improve. Here are some of those ideas

OFFENSE

1. I'll start off with a controversial one. One that's based on the supposition that by the time the season ends, Ocho with be fully integrated into the offense and is playing like the guy we hoped we'd get at the start. IF that's the case, then I'd resign him and let Branch walk. I know Branch is on of Brady's favorites, but Ocho COULD be a bigger stronger version of Branch going forward. A guy better suited to play against the tight physical coverages we are seeing more these days. Branch tends to disappear under these circumstances. He's much better suited to go against zone D's. He also is more likely to remain healthy.

2. Don't Draft an offensive lineman with one of the first 5 picks. Dan Connolly's play has been eye opening. He is more than just holding his own. With the very capable Dan Koppen coming back, the need to draft the C of the future can be put off another year. Of course if the Pats decide not to resign Koppen, then of course adding a C in the draft would make a lot of sense, but I don't want to see it happen in the first 2 rounds

3. Given it likely that either Ocho or Branch isn't going to be with the team next season, it would be a good idea to add a "field stretching" WR either in the draft or FA. I know that every is calling for this, but I am of the belief that its a luxury addition, NOT a necessity. How can it be a necessity when the offense has been so productive the last 2 years without one.

That being said, it the right guy is available in the 2nd or third round, it would be worth a shot, plus I'm sure there are a number of guys who will be available in FA at a good price. The guy who comes immediately to mind is Braylon Edwards. He has the size and speed that would fit the bill, and with his injury prone season this year, he wouldn't command a huge price. Just a thought, I'm sure there are others.

4. Even with Faulk likely to retire, I think the 4 guys we have plus some camp bodies for competition should give us enough of a rushing attack to complement the offense

5. Lets find the next Lee Smith/Will Yeatman late in the draft or FA. Hopefully one of those guys will get released some time in the off season.

6. Sign Welker. He's shown this season that he is much more than just a "nice slot receiver" He deserves the big contract. But that being said, he's small and over 30, and a guy who has taken a wicked beating over the last 4 years. When guys of his stature start to slip, they go downhill FAST. What I think is fair would be a 3 year deal at $8MM/year with 2 guaranteed. I wouldn't hate a 4 year deal if the real money was all in the first 2 years. I think that's less than the market for guys with his production, but even he has to realize that being in NE has helped him and he'd be better off here long term.

DEFENSE.

DL - Carter and Anderson have been revelations but we still need to develop a younger outside pass rushing threat. I haven't given up on Cunningham yet, but getting another DE/OLB type with one of those first 5 picks would be my hope

On the draft pages the "gurus" have been hyping a couple of nice sounding interior DL prospects, but I think that the young combination of Brace, Deadrick, Pryor and Love make adding a top prospect at DT/3-4 DE a luxury Plus there a ton of Gerard Warren types available in FA if necessary. So NO to investing heavily in an interior DLman

LB- I am really pissed that Dane Fletcher has been unable to get on the field thus far. I have great hopes for him. But that being said, I like what we have at LB. I think people will start to realize the Value Rob Ninkovitch has. Mayo and Spikes are very good at what they do, though Mayo has been affected by the change to the 4-3 this year. Cunningham's future remains to be seen, an Tarpanian is a interesting guy to watch going forward. Bottom Line - Stay away from adding ILBs - Take a shot at an OLB/DE pass rushing prospect early.

DB's - Keep 'em coming. I'd like to see at least 2 impact safeties added. I hope the Pats will add one of the top 3 FAs at the position, while adding the best rookie S available with one of their first 4 picks. Those guys along with Chung and the best of Iheadabu/Barrett would give a very solid group. I also hope we add another big CB with one of the first 4 picks. Having a group of 3 guys over 6 foot in Dowling, Mouldin, and the Rookie to go along with McCourty and 2 others will give us the size, depth and flexibility to take on the better passing attacks we will face.

SUMMARY

In no particular order with our first 4 picks in the draft (I'm assuming one will be traded forward) I'd like to see us pick up a safety, CB, OLB/DE and field stretching WR or C depending on what we do with Koppen.

In FA - I want to see an "impact" safety and anything else BB wants on the defensive side of the ball. I think Carter and Anderson can continue to be impact players in 2012, but beyond that is questionable.

Well hopefully this will provide some entertainment while we wait for the overhype of this game to begin.

when do the Cliff notes come out on this post.

I sure hope that the Patriots players are taking the Chiefs more seriously than everyone on this board.

when do the Cliff notes come out on this post.

I'll give a try:
"I'm not excited about this game but I sure hope the Pats don't lose.
And draft defense."

I'm anticipating freezing my ass off at the game, and I'm not excited about it. We Southeast Asians don't do well in the cold.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back